HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland

Best '96-born players in finland

Old
12-15-2009, 12:44 PM
player

vCash: 500
Best '96-born players in finland

I know few, Mönkäre, Mäkinen, Hopponen...

player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Savolainen

Wow, I really think it's crazy to speak about 13-year-old boys and their potential future...

Savolainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 02:09 PM
Jokerit Wasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by player View Post
I know few, Mönkäre, Mäkinen, Hopponen...
I'm guessing you are the parent of one (or more) of them then.

Jokerit Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Sampe

Unless they're already dominating Junior C like Mikael Granlund at their age, I don't think we need to hear about them just yet.

Edit: but to actually contribute something, this kid looks pretty good:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TuomasLehtinen.JPG‎ (139.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg TLstats.JPG‎ (117.7 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Sampe: 12-15-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Sampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savolainen View Post
Wow, I really think it's crazy to speak about 13-year-old boys and their potential future...
In most cases it is. On the other hand (as mentioned above) Mikael Granlund already played in JR.C SM-sarja at this age and finished 7th in overall scoring with 21 points in 13 games, while playing against players that were two years older than him. It was evident already at that age that he had some unique talent and therefore great potential. He was short, skinny and by far not the fastest player on the ice, but he made up for it with other skills. He read the game like an open book and outsmarted the opponents with ease. His passing was phenomenal and the finesse that he showed was awesome. In addition of being an offensive threat, he was also an elite player defensively and the most valuable player on his team, a clear leader of the team.

Of course players like Granlund are few and far between and there are plenty of examples of these prospects not making to the top level or even Mestis. Nevertheless it's nice to hear about upcoming talent and that's also the reason why many of us read this forum.

As far as 96-born players are concerned, I honestly think that Kasper Kapanen and Miikka Pitkänen are not that far behind from what Granlund was at this age. In the end, it might not mean much, but it will be interesting to see where they end up.

… And if the young talented athlete can’t handle the sudden extra attention that his getting at 13 or 14, there’s a good chance that he never will. There’s also a lot of talk about promising footballers/figure skaters/violin players… as well, and it often starts a lot earlier than in hockey. The world where we live is not perfect.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2009, 08:12 AM
Korkki

The ability to handle pressure depends so much from the conditions around the player. I am sure that a player named Kapanen will have much help from home how to handle the pressure.

Korkki is offline   Reply With Quote