HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospal signs with Rangers for 1 year $1.1 million

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-16-2009, 05:40 AM
  #1
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup
 
Malkin4Top6Wingerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 4,950
vCash: 500
Prospal signs with Rangers for 1 year $1.1 million

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08162009...pal_184796.htm

Kind of dissapointing. I know Prospal isn't the greatest player but I think we could have offered what the Rangers gave him and he would have accepted.

Maybe we're holding on to our cap space to sign Tanguay?

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 08:57 AM
  #2
moonknight31
Registered User
 
moonknight31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 10,292
vCash: 500
yea we probably could have afforded 1.1 mil but prospal i think is a bit too slow to play in our system to be effective

moonknight31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:06 AM
  #3
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 13,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonknight31 View Post
yea we probably could have afforded 1.1 mil but prospal i think is a bit too slow to play in our system to be effective
The alternative of what we're going to have on the wing as it stands now is a very very significant downgrade over what Prospal is. He's a legit top 6 winger with 30 goal talent, we don't have that.

That being said I don't think that this deal was available to us. He probably took less because he wanted to go to New York. I find it very hard to believe that Shero purposely missed this opportunity if he had it.

Gooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:18 AM
  #4
Dan Barr
Registered User
 
Dan Barr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 2,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
That being said I don't think that this deal was available to us. He probably took less because he wanted to go to New York.
Agreed, but why would he rather play for the rags? Maybe he thinks he has a chance at playing center?

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:39 AM
  #5
OnMyOwn
Extremist
 
OnMyOwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: State College
Country: United States
Posts: 8,829
vCash: 500
yea not too happy about it.... i just don't know their cap situation though, i thought they had a lot of money tied up and the only player they got rid of was gomez, but replaced him with more overpaid players?

guess not

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:47 AM
  #6
Bishop7979
Registered User
 
Bishop7979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 1,230
vCash: 500
He probably signed there due to his former coach running things for the rangers. he has some of his best years playing in torts very aggressive system.

Bishop7979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:55 AM
  #7
Dan Barr
Registered User
 
Dan Barr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 2,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop7979 View Post
He probably signed there due to his former coach running things for the rangers. he has some of his best years playing in torts very aggressive system.
Good point. Still, I think he would have more success here. DB's system is similarly aggressive. Maybe Shero didn't want him because Tanguay is going to sign today?

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 11:06 AM
  #8
WVP
Registered User
 
WVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 13,033
vCash: 500
Rangers now have a bunch of guys that can "potentially" score a lot of goals: Gaborik, Prospal, Kotalik, Dubinsky, Avery, Higgins, Callahan, Lisin...add Drury and that's a nice list of names but who knows what they're gonna get.

As always that team could finish first in the conference or miss the playoffs.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 11:33 AM
  #9
Dingleberry*
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Brazil
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Rangers now have a bunch of guys that can "potentially" score a lot of goals: Gaborik, Prospal, Kotalik, Dubinsky, Avery, Higgins, Callahan, Lisin...add Drury and that's a nice list of names but who knows what they're gonna get.

As always that team could finish first in the conference or miss the playoffs.
Pretty much. Its the same story with them every year, they get a crop of forwards that can score lot of goals for them, but when season rolls around, they never live up to the hype.

Dingleberry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 11:41 AM
  #10
WVP
Registered User
 
WVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 13,033
vCash: 500
But they have the goaltending and a decent defense to keep it close if they're not scoring, should be a tough team this year if they don't crash and burn.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 12:32 PM
  #11
Bishop7979
Registered User
 
Bishop7979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 1,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
But they have the goaltending and a decent defense to keep it close if they're not scoring, should be a tough team this year if they don't crash and burn.
Actually their defense is, in my opinion their weakest link.
They have 4 estalished NHL defenders;
Staal,
Rozival
Girardi
Redden (who still hasnt looked like the same player for a few years back)

But they lost Mara and Morris and only have brought in young players and a euro vet who has never played in the nhl. I'm not convinced they will score more goals then they will let up.

Bishop7979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 02:10 PM
  #12
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 13,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Barr View Post
Agreed, but why would he rather play for the rags? Maybe he thinks he has a chance at playing center?
I don't think it's so much as wanting to play for the rags as it is wanting to live in NYC. To some people that is a very appealing thing, especially if you have money.

Gooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 02:14 PM
  #13
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 13,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Rangers now have a bunch of guys that can "potentially" score a lot of goals: Gaborik, Prospal, Kotalik, Dubinsky, Avery, Higgins, Callahan, Lisin...add Drury and that's a nice list of names but who knows what they're gonna get.

As always that team could finish first in the conference or miss the playoffs.
As far as I know they still havent signed Dubinsky and now they basically have about a little over 2 mill of cap space to work with and they still need to have a 6th and possibly a 7th dman as well.. Those two alone will most likely take up what's left of the cap space they need to sign Dubinsky. I just don't know how they'll manage to work this out.

Gooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 02:43 PM
  #14
AK
Registered User
 
AK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 15,538
vCash: 500
I agree that it would have been nice, but I'm still holding out for Bertuzzi.

Or Tangradi (!)

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 04:13 PM
  #15
Dan Barr
Registered User
 
Dan Barr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 2,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
I don't think it's so much as wanting to play for the rags as it is wanting to live in NYC. To some people that is a very appealing thing, especially if you have money.
Good point. I guess he's at the point in his career where he'd put that kind of stuff above winning, as he's won the Cup already.

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 04:27 PM
  #16
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 13,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Barr View Post
Good point. I guess he's at the point in his career where he'd put that kind of stuff above winning, as he's won the Cup already.
and he's already got his florida tan


Gooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 04:37 PM
  #17
Killiecrankie*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,999
vCash: 500
meh, Prospal is decent but I don't expect him to be much more than a 40-50 point scorer. Besides, he isnt that talented of a skater. Hence Tanguay>>>>Prospal.

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 04:47 PM
  #18
LeTANGled58
Registered User
 
LeTANGled58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,444
vCash: 500
Oh well. this team will most likely do all their moves at the deadline like the last two seasons.

as for the rangers the go as far as Henrik Lundqvist will take them

LeTANGled58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 04:53 PM
  #19
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
As far as I know they still havent signed Dubinsky and now they basically have about a little over 2 mill of cap space to work with and they still need to have a 6th and possibly a 7th dman as well.. Those two alone will most likely take up what's left of the cap space they need to sign Dubinsky. I just don't know how they'll manage to work this out.
We have plenty of room according to cap geek we have 2.5 and that's counting Sauer as the #6. torts doesn't like to carry extra's unless it's a long road trip. Rumors are that he's going to sign his QO of 700k then sign a multi-year contract come January or next off-season.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 04:58 PM
  #20
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
As far as I know they still havent signed Dubinsky and now they basically have about a little over 2 mill of cap space to work with and they still need to have a 6th and possibly a 7th dman as well.. Those two alone will most likely take up what's left of the cap space they need to sign Dubinsky. I just don't know how they'll manage to work this out.
How much space do they have?

$2 million? No.

It's much more than that.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 05:01 PM
  #21
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culloden View Post
meh, Prospal is decent but I don't expect him to be much more than a 40-50 point scorer. Besides, he isnt that talented of a skater. Hence Tanguay>>>>Prospal.
Duh

Tanguay>Prospal

The Rangers told Prospal this is all we can give you and he took it.

Tanguay wants $5 million per. When Tanguay comes back to earth,he will sign for more than what Prospal got. Maybe in the $3 million per range.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 05:07 PM
  #22
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
I don't think it's so much as wanting to play for the rags as it is wanting to live in NYC. To some people that is a very appealing thing, especially if you have money.
Could be, and it could be that he wants to play for Tortotella.(his words not mine)

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 05:17 PM
  #23
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 13,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
How much space do they have?

$2 million? No.

It's much more than that.
http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Te...ary_cap_thou=8

it isnt much more than that. Rangers sitting at 2.5 mill That also isnt factoring in the 2 more Dmen since that only shows 5 NHL dmen on that list. So yeah it's floating very very close to less than 2 mill with a non signed Dubinsky.

We'll see if he takes the hometown discount as some are saying but chances are he'll likely at least get Callahan type money and if thats the case the Rags are over the cap.

This Prospal signing although much better value than the Brashear signing was probably not the best thing to do while you still have the Dubinsky situation to figure out.

Gooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:13 PM
  #24
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Te...ary_cap_thou=8

it isnt much more than that. Rangers sitting at 2.5 mill That also isnt factoring in the 2 more Dmen since that only shows 5 NHL dmen on that list. So yeah it's floating very very close to less than 2 mill with a non signed Dubinsky.

We'll see if he takes the hometown discount as some are saying but chances are he'll likely at least get Callahan type money and if thats the case the Rags are over the cap.

This Prospal signing although much better value than the Brashear signing was probably not the best thing to do while you still have the Dubinsky situation to figure out.
There have been rumors of him going to sign his 700k 1 year QO. He would be an RFA at end of the contract.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:13 PM
  #25
eXile59
Shirts on.
 
eXile59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 16,225
vCash: 500
Would rather see Tangrandi or Caputi start taking some bumps at the pro-level then see Prospal as a stop gap because of lack of top 6 wingers.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.