HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospal signs with Rangers for 1 year $1.1 million

Old
08-16-2009, 05:40 AM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

vCash: 500
Prospal signs with Rangers for 1 year $1.1 million

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08162009...pal_184796.htm

Kind of dissapointing. I know Prospal isn't the greatest player but I think we could have offered what the Rangers gave him and he would have accepted.

Maybe we're holding on to our cap space to sign Tanguay?

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 08:57 AM
moonknight31

yea we probably could have afforded 1.1 mil but prospal i think is a bit too slow to play in our system to be effective

moonknight31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonknight31 View Post
yea we probably could have afforded 1.1 mil but prospal i think is a bit too slow to play in our system to be effective
The alternative of what we're going to have on the wing as it stands now is a very very significant downgrade over what Prospal is. He's a legit top 6 winger with 30 goal talent, we don't have that.

That being said I don't think that this deal was available to us. He probably took less because he wanted to go to New York. I find it very hard to believe that Shero purposely missed this opportunity if he had it.

Gooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Dan Barr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
That being said I don't think that this deal was available to us. He probably took less because he wanted to go to New York.
Agreed, but why would he rather play for the rags? Maybe he thinks he has a chance at playing center?

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:39 AM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

yea not too happy about it.... i just don't know their cap situation though, i thought they had a lot of money tied up and the only player they got rid of was gomez, but replaced him with more overpaid players?

guess not

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Bishop7979

He probably signed there due to his former coach running things for the rangers. he has some of his best years playing in torts very aggressive system.

Bishop7979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:55 AM
Dan Barr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop7979 View Post
He probably signed there due to his former coach running things for the rangers. he has some of his best years playing in torts very aggressive system.
Good point. Still, I think he would have more success here. DB's system is similarly aggressive. Maybe Shero didn't want him because Tanguay is going to sign today?

Old
08-16-2009, 11:06 AM
WVP

Rangers now have a bunch of guys that can "potentially" score a lot of goals: Gaborik, Prospal, Kotalik, Dubinsky, Avery, Higgins, Callahan, Lisin...add Drury and that's a nice list of names but who knows what they're gonna get.

As always that team could finish first in the conference or miss the playoffs.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Dingleberry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Rangers now have a bunch of guys that can "potentially" score a lot of goals: Gaborik, Prospal, Kotalik, Dubinsky, Avery, Higgins, Callahan, Lisin...add Drury and that's a nice list of names but who knows what they're gonna get.

Pretty much. Its the same story with them every year, they get a crop of forwards that can score lot of goals for them, but when season rolls around, they never live up to the hype.

Dingleberry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 11:41 AM
WVP

But they have the goaltending and a decent defense to keep it close if they're not scoring, should be a tough team this year if they don't crash and burn.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Bishop7979

Quote:
But they have the goaltending and a decent defense to keep it close if they're not scoring, should be a tough team this year if they don't crash and burn.
Actually their defense is, in my opinion their weakest link.
They have 4 estalished NHL defenders;
Staal,
Rozival
Girardi
Redden (who still hasnt looked like the same player for a few years back)

But they lost Mara and Morris and only have brought in young players and a euro vet who has never played in the nhl. I'm not convinced they will score more goals then they will let up.

Bishop7979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Barr View Post
Agreed, but why would he rather play for the rags? Maybe he thinks he has a chance at playing center?
I don't think it's so much as wanting to play for the rags as it is wanting to live in NYC. To some people that is a very appealing thing, especially if you have money.

Old
08-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Gooch

Quote:

As far as I know they still havent signed Dubinsky and now they basically have about a little over 2 mill of cap space to work with and they still need to have a 6th and possibly a 7th dman as well.. Those two alone will most likely take up what's left of the cap space they need to sign Dubinsky. I just don't know how they'll manage to work this out.

Old
08-16-2009, 02:43 PM
AK

I agree that it would have been nice, but I'm still holding out for Bertuzzi.

Or Tangradi (!)

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Dan Barr

Quote:
I don't think it's so much as wanting to play for the rags as it is wanting to live in NYC. To some people that is a very appealing thing, especially if you have money.
Good point. I guess he's at the point in his career where he'd put that kind of stuff above winning, as he's won the Cup already.

Old
08-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Barr View Post
Good point. I guess he's at the point in his career where he'd put that kind of stuff above winning, as he's won the Cup already.
and he's already got his florida tan

Old
08-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Killiecrankie*

meh, Prospal is decent but I don't expect him to be much more than a 40-50 point scorer. Besides, he isnt that talented of a skater. Hence Tanguay>>>>Prospal.

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 04:47 PM
LeTANGled58

Oh well. this team will most likely do all their moves at the deadline like the last two seasons.

as for the rangers the go as far as Henrik Lundqvist will take them

LeTANGled58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
As far as I know they still havent signed Dubinsky and now they basically have about a little over 2 mill of cap space to work with and they still need to have a 6th and possibly a 7th dman as well.. Those two alone will most likely take up what's left of the cap space they need to sign Dubinsky. I just don't know how they'll manage to work this out.
We have plenty of room according to cap geek we have 2.5 and that's counting Sauer as the #6. torts doesn't like to carry extra's unless it's a long road trip. Rumors are that he's going to sign his QO of 700k then sign a multi-year contract come January or next off-season.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 04:58 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
How much space do they have?

$2 million? No.

It's much more than that.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 05:01 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culloden View Post
meh, Prospal is decent but I don't expect him to be much more than a 40-50 point scorer. Besides, he isnt that talented of a skater. Hence Tanguay>>>>Prospal.
Duh

Tanguay>Prospal

The Rangers told Prospal this is all we can give you and he took it.

Tanguay wants $5 million per. When Tanguay comes back to earth,he will sign for more than what Prospal got. Maybe in the $3 million per range.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Could be, and it could be that he wants to play for Tortotella.(his words not mine)

Old
08-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
How much space do they have?

$2 million? No.

It's much more than that.
http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Te...ary_cap_thou=8

it isnt much more than that. Rangers sitting at 2.5 mill That also isnt factoring in the 2 more Dmen since that only shows 5 NHL dmen on that list. So yeah it's floating very very close to less than 2 mill with a non signed Dubinsky.

We'll see if he takes the hometown discount as some are saying but chances are he'll likely at least get Callahan type money and if thats the case the Rags are over the cap.

This Prospal signing although much better value than the Brashear signing was probably not the best thing to do while you still have the Dubinsky situation to figure out.

Old
08-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Te...ary_cap_thou=8

it isnt much more than that. Rangers sitting at 2.5 mill That also isnt factoring in the 2 more Dmen since that only shows 5 NHL dmen on that list. So yeah it's floating very very close to less than 2 mill with a non signed Dubinsky.

We'll see if he takes the hometown discount as some are saying but chances are he'll likely at least get Callahan type money and if thats the case the Rags are over the cap.

This Prospal signing although much better value than the Brashear signing was probably not the best thing to do while you still have the Dubinsky situation to figure out.
There have been rumors of him going to sign his 700k 1 year QO. He would be an RFA at end of the contract.

Old
08-16-2009, 06:13 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Would rather see Tangrandi or Caputi start taking some bumps at the pro-level then see Prospal as a stop gap because of lack of top 6 wingers.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote