HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers book?

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2004, 05:01 PM
oilersboy

vCash: 500
Oilers book?

I'm reading a Nordiques book and I'm totally eating it. There are description of all the Nordiques seasons, of all important players of the Nordiques with in depth description and many pictures. There is even a section on the rivallity of Qc and Montreal and one on the impact of the Nords in the community. Is there any book like that about the Oil?

Old
04-02-2004, 05:08 PM
Fuhrious

What is the title of the Nordiques book, and where did you get it? I'd love to read something like that...

Old
04-02-2004, 05:19 PM
PineJockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooiilleerr_bergeron
I'm reading a Nordiques book and I'm totally eating it. There are description of all the Nordiques seasons, of all important players of the Nordiques with in depth description and many pictures. There is even a section on the rivallity of Qc and Montreal and one on the impact of the Nords in the community. Is there any book like that about the Oil?

I've never read it, but "Glory Barons: the saga of the Edmonton Oilers" by Douglas Hunter has always looked like interesting read. I think Kevin Lowe actually wrote a book too if I'm not mistaken, but I can't think of the name of it right now. "Champions' or something like that I think.

Another hockey book that you simply can't go wrong with are Ken Dryden's classics "The Game" and "Home Game". Fantastic.

Old
04-02-2004, 05:45 PM
Bohologo

It's out of print now, but Peter Gzowski's The Game of Our Lives chronicles the 80-81 season, amid a parallel framework of the game's importance to the national conciousness. Gzowski was a fine journalist, and his timing was perfect. He captures young Gretzky, Messier, Lowe, Kurri, Moog and Sather very well, and underscores how vital the game is to Canada. It's the best book on hockey I've ever read, and makes Ken Dryden's book seem pretentious & dull by comparison.

Old
04-02-2004, 07:00 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Glory barons was more the business aspect of the Oilers, and what happened on the financial end.

It'd be really awesome to read a book like bergeron is talking about based on the Oilers...

Old
04-02-2004, 07:03 PM
vb

The 20 yr anniversary book was decent. It had lots of good pictures, unfortunately it was written by Terry Jones. Jones recalls a lot of good stories, but it seems as though he wrote it under a tight deadline cause there isn't a whole of insight in it. The Wayne Gretzky book that came out around 5 years ago was pretty good for Oilers stuff too.

Old
04-02-2004, 07:36 PM
Lowetide

Glory Barons is an excellent book, and although it certainly deals with the business side, there's plenty hockey stuff in there too. Hunter's increasing frustration describing each draft is pretty funny, actually.

Lowe's book is a nice read, ends in the middle of their cup runs as I recall, maybe 1988 or so.

I don't think there's a book I've seen that would parallel the Nordique book described above. It certainly would be a nice book, though.

Old
04-02-2004, 08:31 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo
It's out of print now, but Peter Gzowski's The Game of Our Lives chronicles the 80-81 season, amid a parallel framework of the game's importance to the national conciousness. Gzowski was a fine journalist, and his timing was perfect. He captures young Gretzky, Messier, Lowe, Kurri, Moog and Sather very well, and underscores how vital the game is to Canada. It's the best book on hockey I've ever read, and makes Ken Dryden's book seem pretentious & dull by comparison.
The definitive book about this team in it's emerging greatness as written by a master Canadian storyteller. Wonderful, wonderful read. Bohologo, I agree also with your Dryden sentiments. Yawn.

Old
04-02-2004, 08:41 PM
Oilers Hockey

It's not a story book, but one book no die hard fan should be without is "Players: an encyclopedia of every player in NHL history" is awesome. It has a forward by Chris Cuthbert. It's pricey but sooooo worth it.

Old
04-02-2004, 09:35 PM
oilersboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhrious
What is the title of the Nordiques book, and where did you get it? I'd love to read something like that...
The title is "Les NORDIQUES de QUÉBEC". I don't think it is publish in english. The house of edition(can we say that in english?) is les éditions de l'homme. My ant gave it to me. I think she ordered it on the web at http://www.edhomme.com/showGuidePage.asp?Key_Code=7154

Last edited by oilersboy: 04-02-2004 at 09:42 PM.
Closed Thread