HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes Top Prospects #8

View Poll Results: #8
D Brett Bellemore 0 0%
LW/C Nicolas Blanchard 0 0%
D Casey Borer 1 3.85%
C Stefan Chaput 2 7.69%
RW/C Nick Dodge 2 7.69%
D Brian Dumoulin 6 23.08%
C Bobby Hughes 0 0%
RW Matt Kennedy 0 0%
D Tommi Kivisto 0 0%
D Kyle Lawson 1 3.85%
LW Mattias Lindstrom 0 0%
G Justin Peters 1 3.85%
RW Jarome Samson 0 0%
C Chris Terry 13 50.00%
other 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-16-2009, 11:54 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Canes Top Prospects #8

1) C/LW Zach Boychuk - 51.85%
2) LW Drayson Bowman - 59.26%
3) C Brandon Sutter - 48.65%
4) D Jamie McBain - 80.77%
5) RW/C Zac Dalpe - 53.57%
T6) LW Philippe Paradis 37.93%
T6) G Mike Murphy 37.93%
7) D Brett Carson 55%

added Bobby Hughes. Jordan, Rissanen, Pistilli, Akerlund and Krueger are still out there as options to add.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 12:10 AM
KILLger

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
First thought about voting for Terry, but I have a good feeling about Dumoulin...

KILLger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 12:45 AM
Scorvo

Terry. Chance to put himself pretty high on the radar with a good season with the rats.

Scorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 01:37 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Has to be Terry, but I could see someone picking Samson or Dodge. I pick Terry due to a combination of his potential and past track record which seems superior to everyone else on the list. Dumoulin could be a good one but it's hard to put him so high when the highest level he's played is the EJHL which is about only a step above high school hockey in the NE and maybe on par with prep school hockey. Same thing with Dalpe last year, he needs to prove himself against tougher competition.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 01:51 AM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Terry.

Maybe he never will put more than 40 points in NHL but he's amazing kid and i'm pretty sure every GM wants kid like him. If he get chance with Carolina i think he will continue to works extremelly hard to have success and contribute. At worst he will be Scott Walker type or Larose. This is not bad really.

Liedership, effort, heart, skills. He gives everything in every game.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 08:19 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 163
This definitely gets a little more interesting here. It's a toss up between 3 guys for me. Chris Terry, Nick Dodge & Jerome Samson.

With Terry, his offensive flare is obvious after what he has demonstrated in junior. If he can translate that to the next level, he'll likely have success, if not, who knows if he ever plays an NHL game. Chris Terry is a big 'if' for me based on i'm just not sold on him. It's players like Terry who for whatever the reason strike me as players who come through the OHL at a dime a dozen. This is a huge year for Terry to prove he can translate his successful junior game to the next level. I'd love to see him do it, and he likely will in the AHL whether it be this year or down the line. With that said, I won't hold my breath on seeing Terry in the NHL. Terry will get my vote, just not over a couple young, proven guys who have demonstrated good things in the AHl level. When/if Terry does that, I'll have a couple tougher decisions to make. I'm just not completely sold he'll translate his potential the way I feel Dodge will. I doubt Terry ever cracks it as a top 6 forward, therefore he is right in the mix in the bottom 6 with Dodge & Samson in my mind. However, 2 of these 3 have shown promise and the ability to play the role at the AHL level. We'll see if Terry can do the same.

Nick Dodge is a kid we drafted as a 20 year old who had been passed over in consecutive drafts, much like we did this past June with Kennedy. After 4 solid years of NCAA for Clarkson, Dodge translated his game quite well with a real good rookie season in Albany last year. If I had of done a statistical prediction, I would have been way off base as Dodge put up more points than I would have guessed. Big bonus there and I believe it is a good indication of where he's at and where he could potentially end up. It looks as though Dodge is still on pace to crack our bottom 6 in the near future. If Terry can carry his game over to the Albany in the same fashion as Dodge carried his over, you'll see me a little more excited. Until then, I rank Dodge ahead of Terry because one looks pretty promising while the other is a flip of the coin play on whether he can do it or not.

Lastly here for my consideration is the underrated, overlooked and undrafted Jerome Samson. Potential diamond in the rough kid (only 21) who already has two consecutive 20 goal seasons in the AHL on his resume. It's impressive to say the least. I had never really even looked at him until Vagrant brought his name and accomplishments up in conversation a while back. All in all, if Samson can continue on the path he is on, we may see him in a Canes uniform soon rather than later. I hope he can hit the 30 goal plateau this coming season.

So for me, it has come down to Dodge & Samson. I have always been a fan of Dodge, so I will give him my vote here. Samson is still an under the radar guy however another solid season could change that. I really hope he can notch 30. If he does, he'll move way up for me. I'll continue to be cautious with Terry and flip my coin on him, only he can dictate what he does at the next level, I'd love for him to rid me of my doubts.

Last edited by Guerzy: 08-17-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 12:36 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

I went way off the board here and selected Chaput. Heading into last season he was projected as a 4th line at best, but he surprised me a lot with his offensive production at the AHL level before his injury. I honestly believe that if he can recover fully and build off last season he may be close to making the Canes roster for 2010-11.

Old
08-17-2009, 11:19 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Brian Dumoulin for me. Obviously there's not a lot to go on at this point, but being a 2nd rounder holds weight with me, and everything I have heard about the guy has been great.

08-18-2009, 12:32 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
Brian Dumoulin for me. Obviously there's not a lot to go on at this point, but being a 2nd rounder holds weight with me, and everything I have heard about the guy has been great.
I really like Brian Dumoulin, but I am not too sure about his future as a legit Top 4. If you consider Ryan Whitney, who he is often compared, a Top 4 then you would probably be more inclined to think of Dumoulin as such. Not saying the view is "wrong", but Dumoulin has to prove to me that he's more than just a big frame with a lot of offensive puck skills. I gave Dumoulin a 6.5 B and had him ranked as our 8th best prospect ahead of Carson and Murphy on my personal list.

The 6.5 with a high potential to reach it puts him right in that wheelhouse of being a Top 4 on some teams and a 5th on others. The B potential means I think his natural skills will get him there with a fairly high degree of probability.

I would imagine that our writer here will probably rank him as a 7.0 C or a 7.5 C, but i'm not that ambitious about his potential.

I see him as a younger, faster version of Brett Carson. Less physical and more offensive. I think Carson tops out as a 5th.

For this round, Chris Terry gets my vote. I think he's going to have to keep on scoring at a ridiculous clip before people realize that he really has it down. I would like to see him work on his skating, but that's what the AHL is for. If he gets time on the powerplay with Zach Boychuk..... watch out. This powerplay:

Bowman - Boychuk - Samson
McBain - Carson

Terry - Sutter/Hughes - Pistilli
Rodney - Borer

Would wreck all kinds of teams. Ideally, I would flip flop Terry and Bowman to give a more passing feel on the first unit with Samson being the finisher and spreading the wealth around, but I would imagine that Boychuk and Bowman are locked into the first unit. I think we'll see a lot more of Hughes if healthy this year and flanked by two HUGE scorers from the CHL like he was a few years back should help him get his comfort level back where it should be.

Needless to say, i'll be doing a lot of Albany watching next year.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 01:19 PM
naihlflames

Voted Kyle Lawson, the most underrated prospect on the Canes board. 10 years ago he would have been too small. Now he is the smart positional d-man who can move the puck out of the zone.

This year he will be a Sr. at Notre Dame. Next year AHL. After that he is just about NHL ready.

naihlflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 03:47 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

I agree with you on Lawson. NCAA prospects tend to be underrated (as ESPNU is the only place that really shows NCAA hockey, and not all that reliably) but I have Chaput just ahead of him. Still, both don't get nearly the hype that either is worthy of around here and I would bet that both make the Canes within the next 3 seasons.