HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Visnovsky vs Stoll and Greene

View Poll Results: Would you reverse the Visnovsky for Stoll/Greene trade?
Yes 12 8.70%
No 126 91.30%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-14-2009, 04:25 PM
The Hegemony Consul
Serial Ruminator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
Come on, someone needs to be contrary
I *really* disliked the trade when it went down (even while acknowledging Visnovsky was coming off a sub-par season here), and there's still a couple of elements about it that don't sit well with me, but on balance, I wouldn't call "take-backsies" on it at this point...

The Hegemony Consul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 04:30 PM
piston

Send a message via AIM to piston
Misread the question. I vote no.

piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Nope.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston View Post
Misread the question. I vote no.
Ok so icyfur/nottellin and a fan of another team vote Yes

So
31 no

2 yes

Julius Caesar Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 04:36 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
As an Oiler fan, I'd have to correct you on this point. Lubo was fantastic for us.
That makes it even more lopsided a "no" for me.

We've all seen Lubo when he has been "on". If you thought last year was great, then you'll be astounded when he plays to his ability - if he ever gets back to that point again.

The other reason for the "no"...

- T

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions

Last edited by TonySCV: 08-14-2009 at 04:41 PM.
TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Joey Moss
Proud to select...

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Be curious to get Edmonton fans' take.
I think it was a great deal for both teams but it really put the Oilers faceoff trouble in a **** hole. Still would have accepted the trade as an Oiler fan though.. Some of us think Lubo is our best player right now.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quick has the best look on his face in that picture.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 04:45 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
I *really* disliked the trade when it went down (even while acknowledging Visnovsky was coming off a sub-par season here), and there's still a couple of elements about it that don't sit well with me, but on balance, I wouldn't call "take-backsies" on it at this point...
To be honest, I dont think many of us Kings' fans liked the deal before we saw Greene and Stoll play

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

Quote:
To be honest, I dont think many of us Kings' fans liked the deal before we saw Greene and Stoll play
I loved it from the moment the trade was made. I knew Lombardi sold Lubo at his highest value. We got a faceoff ace and a gritty warrior d-man back and got younger

Old
08-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

I also thought it was a great trade from the start. I was a fan of Stoll's shot and Greene's toughness when they were in Edmonton and we saw what they were made of in the playoffs in the finals run.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 04:50 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
I loved it from the moment the trade was made. I knew Lombardi sold Lubo at his highest value. We got a faceoff ace and a gritty warrior d-man back and got younger
I dont see how that was his highest value. Certainly it was his highest value relative to the contract, but DL signed him to that contract in the first place, and I would say that his highest selling point would have been after 06-07.

I guess in hindsight though, Lombardi very effectively compensated for his mistake

Old
08-14-2009, 04:54 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Yes but you said you wish he were traded before he signed the contract. That would indicate you didn't want him even before then. His contract is gone, so what do you care whether he was traded before or after? We all agree the return is kicking ass and helping the team, so what gives?

Lubo is worth his contract and if Doughty wasn't here I'd wish Lubo still was, contract and all.
Yea, because I believe Lubo will be on the down side of his career when the Kings turn the corner. DL would have got more for him as well....

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 04:56 PM
Johnny Utah

We have Doughty, Hickey, Harrold and possibly Voinov and Martinez...how many guys like that do we need...We only have one Teubert....So we added Matt Greene and 2nd line depth in Stoll who when the game is on the line is a guy you want out there....I think the deal worked out well for both teams.

I think what bothers Oilers fans is that they didn't deal from a position of strength and filled a position of strength....Kings dealt from a position we are strong in to fill 2 holes.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 05:03 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
That makes it even more lopsided a "no" for me.

We've all seen Lubo when he has been "on". If you thought last year was great, then you'll be astounded when he plays to his ability - if he ever gets back to that point again.

The other reason for the "no"...

- T
That picture has been my computer wallpaper since the night it happened.

I also agree with your point about Lubo. He wasn't poor last season by an NHL standard, but he was not playing up to his own standards. When Lubo is on his game, I've always felt he was top10 in the league offensively from the blueline.

I think he'll be better this year. How old is he now?

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 05:04 PM
Johnny Utah

By the way, I can say this on my board now, but Kevin Lowe is an idiot....forget this deal...just over all....I actually like Brian Burke and agreed with everything he said about Lowe....Tambellini has to clean up Lowe's mess now.

Old
08-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
T
I think he'll be better this year. How old is he now?
He just turned 33

Old
08-14-2009, 05:05 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
We have Doughty, Hickey, Harrold and possibly Voinov and Martinez...how many guys like that do we need...We only have one Teubert....So we added Matt Greene and 2nd line depth in Stoll who when the game is on the line is a guy you want out there....I think the deal worked out well for both teams.

I think what bothers Oilers fans is that they didn't deal from a position of strength and filled a position of strength....Kings dealt from a position we are strong in to fill 2 holes.
LA didn't deal from an area of strength at all which is backed up by the offensive (take it as both meanings of the words if you like) numbers from the blueline.

All of the guys mentioned are prospects so they are all POSSIBLY at this point except for Peter Harrold: there is no way in hell he replaces anything Visnovsky brought.

It is a position that *should* be filled by younger, cheaper talent while Lubo ages and makes a ton of money. If Douthy,Johnson etc... step up their respective offensive games than awesome. Until then, there is still a glaring hole on the blueline when it comes to offense which wasn't helped by the Smyth trade.

For the record, I love the Lubo trade and the Smyth trade. I just disagree that LA dealt from an area of strength when dealing Lubo.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 05:08 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
He just turned 33
I think if he gets paired mostly with a big, nasty dman to protect him and he keeps in shape, no reason he couldn't play an effective game for another 5 years. Schneider is still worth something and is great on the PP. I think Lubo could regain his form for another 2-3 years and still be very useful for another 2-3.

Old
08-14-2009, 05:14 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Yea, because I believe Lubo will be on the down side of his career when the Kings turn the corner. DL would have got more for him as well....
But he would still likely be the top offensive producer from the blueline just through that corner turn. There is also the fact that he had the Kings logo on his ass, and is a vet (which we still lack on the PP right away), and he would have A LOT to teach Doughty and Johnson and Hickey. I can understand you saying that his contract doesn't fit anymore with the team's salary structure, but I disagree that as a player he would be bad to have on the team for another few years.

As for getting more value, aren't we all very happy with Stoll and Greene? So you're opinion of Lubo goes down if there's an extra pick coming our way?

Like I said above, I truly believe Lubo will be a great offensive dman for another 2-3 years, and that would certainly not be a hinderance in the Kings turning that corner.

All that said, I still maintain that I would do the trade again, but only because I think Stoll and Greene help this team more in the long run.

Old
08-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

Now 42-5 with 3 of the 5 votes coming from fans of other teams

Old
08-14-2009, 05:30 PM
The Hegemony Consul
Serial Ruminator

Quote:
I dont see how that was his highest value. Certainly it was his highest value relative to the contract, but DL signed him to that contract in the first place, and I would say that his highest selling point would have been after 06-07.

I guess in hindsight though, Lombardi very effectively compensated for his mistake
My thoughts, as well (in particular, the bolded part). To expound upon my earlier post a bit more: one other thing I still dislike about the trade is that it seemed to run counter to Lombardi's constant claim about coveting "King-tattoo'd" players. Here was a guy who was a Kings' pick and supposedly was a trooper on some rather mediocre teams, yet was shipped off after one poor season. Declining? Not (apparantly) after his performance last season in Edmonton...cele'vis <sic>, though.

All this said, again, I still am happy with what Stoll and Greene have brought to the Kings (hey, they made my prediction of a top-half PK rating come true, so how mad could I be??) : )

The Hegemony Consul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Johnny Utah

He wasn't shipped of because of his perfmorance, he was shipped b/c his no trade clause was about to kick in as well as his new huge contract.

Old
08-14-2009, 05:38 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
My thoughts, as well (in particular, the bolded part). To expound upon my earlier post a bit more: one other thing I still dislike about the trade is that it seemed to run counter to Lombardi's constant claim about coveting "King-tattoo'd" players. Here was a guy who was a Kings' pick and supposedly was a trooper on some rather mediocre teams, yet was shipped off after one poor season. Declining? Not (apparantly) after his performance last season in Edmonton...cele'vis <sic>, though.

All this said, again, I still am happy with what Stoll and Greene have brought to the Kings (hey, they made my prediction of a top-half PK rating come true, so how mad could I be??) : )
It has done nothing to dispel my feeling that Lombardi has been trying to dismantle Dave Taylor's regime and all of its players. I think what happens with Frolov will be a huge indicator of whether this suspicion is justified or not.

As much as I would like to say that trading Lubo was a favor to him to spare him from having to be with the rebuilding process (which he wouldnt help), we traded him to Edmonton so...

I hope when the time comes, when Lubo is a free-agent, the Kings sign Lubo to a cheap short contract so that he can finally be on a team deserving of his caliber of player.

Old
08-14-2009, 05:53 PM
johnjm22

I HATED the trade when it went down, but the emergence of Greene has made it worth while.

I still like Lubo and think he's a great player, well worth the money.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 06:04 PM
HeadInjury

Always liked Lubo, but we simply do not need him at his age and price. Doughty, Johnson, Voynov, Hickey. Right there we have enough options in terms of puck handling, offensive defensemen. And all are young and much cheaper.

HeadInjury is offline   Reply With Quote