HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chelios turned down Rangers offer to play in Hartford but....(#118)

Old
10-09-2009, 06:36 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Chelios, 47, apparently finished his star-studded NHL career with the Detroit Red Wings last season. He was basically a spare defenseman for the Wings, who declined to re-sign him. Chelios had expressed an interest to sign with another team, most notable the New York Rangers, but no deals could be consummated.
http://www.southtownstar.com/sports/...iosweb.article

Chelly would have given the Rangers a better 10 minute performance than Rozsival gave last night.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 06:40 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
but he believes he can still contribute to an NHL team.

"For me, it's just about getting an opportunity," he said. "I was on the best team in the league last year. It's not that I can't play. I played four games in the playoffs, no problem. I played in 30 games, no problem. Half the battle is just getting an opportunity."
http://www.freep.com/article/2009100...071/1053/rss17

Old
10-09-2009, 06:43 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Chelios was a tremendous leader in the Red Wings locker room. His value on the ice diminished in the past two seasons. He was amazing for a 45- and 46-year-old, but he was a weak spot for Detroit. One scout that I sat beside in the press box during the 2008 playoffs told me that he hoped that the Red Wings would play Chelios against his team. The Wings didn't and won that series.
Quote:
"If you’re playing, you’re a lot more attractive (to an NHL team)," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "He wants to be in the NHL, but Chicago gives him an opportunity in a town he knows real well that gets him going and gets him playing. ... So when someone gets an injury, and they’re going to happen ... it’s an Olympic year, condensed schedule ... Cheli’s a guy who knows how to play, knows how to help your locker room. To me he’ll be a perfect fit for someone.’’
http://redwingscorner.blogspot.com/2...hl-wolves.html

Old
10-09-2009, 08:18 AM
94now

He could be useful here, no question. The problem is he has no EDM links and Messier might dislike the man.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Vitto79

Dandenault makes sense as the spare Dman.

Then move Voros at all costs. use Dandenault as the spare F and D man................then do like they just did and call up Grachev if a real injury occurs to a F

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Why no?

Chelly is the perfect guy.

Experienced defenseman.
Will play for peanuts.He has more than enough for the next 10 generations of Chelios' to live more than comfortably.
Will help the young defenseman.
Will not complain about not playing.
I'm with you. I'd be glad to have him as our 7th.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 09:51 AM
NY Ranger86

sign him up.

league minimum.

7th d man.

**** maybe 6th d man, have rosi take a seat for the way hes playing.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 11:22 AM
GarretJoseph*

****, lets sign Theo too while we're at it.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 12:49 PM
free0717

Lets Waive rozy and bring up Bobby Sanguinetti

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 03:17 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
I agree with your view about Chelios, but I have to wonder about Leetch. I have seen absolutely nothing to suggest that Leetch has any contact with the Ranger organization.
all it takes is a phone call. and im sure somewhere in the year leetch will be at the garden for a game.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 03:24 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

I dont have a problem if hes the 7th dman...i still dont want him to be the guy to replace rozy. Rozival is trash...serious trash.

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 04:01 PM
In The Flesh

I'm so for this, sign him!!! I'd love Chelly here, what an awesome guy in the lockeroom for Gilroy, DZ, Staal and Girardi. I love old grizzled vets like Cheely and Shanny, hell, sign em both

LOLOL at the no EDM links hahaha, so true though

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

I thought Redden and Rozi were going to mold the young D?

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 08:03 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Chelios would be a great guy to have around Del Zotto and Gilroy.

He would have to come in knowing he won't be playing much, if at all.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 03:11 AM
clemsonRanger

as long as we can put his nose on lundys glove hand im down with signing cheilos, lundys save % would be outrageous

clemsonRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 01:22 PM
ReggieDunlop68
Hey Hanrahan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Chelios would be a great guy to have around Del Zotto and Gilroy.

He would have to come in knowing he won't be playing much, if at all.
Just because he's old does not mean he will be a great mentor. Just like Gretzky was a great player but not a great coach.

ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 01:40 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strauss View Post
Just because he's old does not mean he will be a great mentor. Just like Gretzky was a great player but not a great coach.
One was a player turned coach. In charge of running the entire team, systems, line changes, matchups...

...The other is still an active player.

Chelios is a player that young defensemen on the roster can learn a lot from, by watching a player like that in practice.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 10-10-2009 at 02:16 PM.
SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 06:00 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Rangers GM Glen Sather recently offered Chris Chelios an AHL contract to play in Hartford, but the veteran free agent defenseman rejected that offer to sign a deal with the Chicago Wolves in order to be closer to his family, The Post has learned.

“We’d talked a number of times over the summer, and I talked to Torts [head coach John Tortorella] at the U.S. Olympic evaluation camp, but they told me the Rangers were going in a different direction with their kids,” Chelios told The Post by phone. “I see that their guys are off to a good start, but if they’re looking for veteran help down the road, I’d love to play there.

“I appreciate the offer to play in Hartford, but I decided to sign with Chicago because that’s where my parents live, and it means a lot to me that they’ll be able to come see me play.”

Sather confirmed the contract offer but did not elaborate.
Quote:
The AHL Wolf Pack did sign former Montreal and Detroit free agent defenseman Mathieu Dandenault to a professional tryout contract on Wednesday, but the Rangers are likely to monitor Chelios and other veteran candidates for the seventh blue line spot on the roster in addition to Dandenault.

“I don’t think I’ve ever had a bad game at Madison Square Garden,” Chelios said. “If the Rangers need help and are interested, Chicago shouldn’t be too far away for them to come take a look.”
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...7Vn5eRAz525rXP

Sign him Slats.

Old
10-23-2009, 08:19 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sorry, but this is ridiculous.

If he was serious about wanting to be a Ranger he would have accepted an assignment with the Wolfpack and attempted to prove himself. I mean, what does he want, a guarenteed roster spot at 47 years old?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 09:40 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Sorry, but this is ridiculous.

If he was serious about wanting to be a Ranger he would have accepted an assignment with the Wolfpack and attempted to prove himself. I mean, what does he want, a guarenteed roster spot at 47 years old?
Ummm he's attempting to prove himself in Chicago. How is that ridiculous?

His contract is strictly an AHL contract, Rangers can still sign him. Only difference between Hartford and Chicago is he's playing at home in Chi-town which is completely understandable.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Vitto79

he turned it down and Dandenault said sure. So unless he Dandenault will get the spot for 500K. Plus he can spare on the Wing and is way younger

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 11:21 AM
IceBear86
Broadway Pride

Sign him at Trade Deadline, that's early enough. I only see him needed come Play Off time, and we just startet off the Regular Season. If they sign hin now, he'd sit on the bench most of the time, and he'd rather get some game practice. But keep Chelios in mind, Slats!

IceBear86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 11:45 AM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBear86 View Post
Sign him at Trade Deadline, that's early enough. I only see him needed come Play Off time, and we just startet off the Regular Season. If they sign hin now, he'd sit on the bench most of the time, and he'd rather get some game practice. But keep Chelios in mind, Slats!
Why would he be needed more during play-off time? I mean, I know the Rangers are no-where near as deep on "d" as Detroit, but Chelios has seen almost no ice come play-offs the past two seasons. I don't know if he dressed in the finals at all. His value, if you want to call it that, would be to teach the young'ens during the season and as a spare.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
Why would he be needed more during play-off time? I mean, I know the Rangers are no-where near as deep on "d" as Detroit, but Chelios has seen almost no ice come play-offs the past two seasons. I don't know if he dressed in the finals at all. His value, if you want to call it that, would be to teach the young'ens during the season and as a spare.
You've pointed out the biggest problem. The team needs a veteran presence for the playoffs as much as they need it for the season. Rookies can get overhelmed by the intensity of the playoffs and sometimes need a game off (or more) to restore their balance, especially if the team gets beyond the first round--think about what happened to Karpovstev (can't remember how to spell his name anymore) during the 1994 playoffs. Also, injuries (or sepensions) happen and having a spare veteran who can jump in and keep up can mean the difference between winning a series and going home (think Lidster). I don't think Chelios is that defender.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote