HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Two Deals to Fix Edmonton

Old
08-14-2009, 07:58 PM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
Sorry but i have never heard any other Oilers fan say the best player is anyone other than Hemsky or Visnovsky so your obviously pullin' this out of your ass..
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoasteh View Post
Roloson is the only reason we're even in contention for the playoffs, as opposed to Tavares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic View Post
Souray is our best defenceman and only one of two that can score from the point while Gilbert and Grebs get most of their goals from pinching in deep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
No, Visnovsky is the best player on the team. Stoll and Greene were very replaceable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Everyone always says Hemsky or Visnovsky or Souray but Roloson has been the Oilers MVP 2 of the last 3 years....maybe that's why we're missing the playoffs but he's been very good. I hope Tambellini re-signs him for one more season.
That was in 5 minutes of searching, do you want more?

eklunds source is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 07:59 PM
Zizou
Dont Mix Your Drinks

Quote:
I really dont see how the second deal would benefit Edmonton, giving our best player up is not fixing us.
Fix? No. Help? Yes. Think what you will, it's clear to see how much trading Visnovsky helped the Kings. Didn't they give up the best player in the deal? But they improved. Stoll's presence on the PP, the PK, the faceoff circle & Greene's overall defensive and physical efforts made most Kings fans forget all about Lubo. Yet, they gave up the best player in the deal.

With Edmonton already hugging the cap, they're going to need to get rid of a player with a high salary to make any kind of improvements. Now, whether you think you can swing Penner & a pick for Toews is your own fault but it ain't gonna be easy. Lowe ****ed the Oilers and it's Tambellini's job to fix it. Unless of course, you feel confident with the current group you have... which if that's the case, all the power to you and all that jazz.

But sometimes, you have to give a little in order to spread the wealth. Horcoff, Visnovsky & Penner's contracts insist they have big shoes to fill... and to this point, none of them have earned it.

Zizou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 08:05 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Penner = Handzus

That looks more like it..
A 42 point shutdown center who bust his ass is more valuable than a 37 point winger whos known to be lazy and bot give his all. Factor in Zeus makes less money and is more valuable doesnt equal Penner equaling Handzus. Throwing in Simmonds too makes it worse.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 08:06 PM
oilers84

the only player i would like to play for the oilers from la is dustin brown
so go like this

to LA
Penner
Cogs
2nd rounder

to EDM
Brown

or

LA
Cogs
Nilsson
Pouiot
2nd rounder

EDM
Brown

one or the other

LA gets 2 top 6 forwards that both have great potential but would probably to better in LA playing with better skilled forwards and in the second trade they also get a skilled 2 way player

EDM gets a top 6 forward that has size and grit and can score that can play on our top line

oilers84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 08:08 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Yeah we definetly want to trade quality for quantity

You have to be kidding me.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Phaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers84 View Post
so go like this

to LA
Penner
Cogs
2nd rounder

to EDM
Brown

or

LA
Cogs
Nilsson
Pouiot
2nd rounder

EDM
Brown

one or the other

LA gets 2 top 6 forwards that both have great potential but would probably to better in LA playing with better skilled forwards and in the second trade they also get a skilled 2 way player

EDM gets a top 6 forward that has size and grit and can score that can play on our top line
There's no way the Oilers get Brown, especially not for those proposals. He is their captain and is still young.

As for the OP, I wouldn't do either of those, although they do fill needs for us, I would rather see what Penner and Nilsson can do under Quinn first.

Phaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Roloson isn't playing for us anymore and the only other one I see says Souray is our best Defenseman

Good try though.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 08:23 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
Fix? No. Help? Yes. Think what you will, it's clear to see how much trading Visnovsky helped the Kings. Didn't they give up the best player in the deal? But they improved. Stoll's presence on the PP, the PK, the faceoff circle & Greene's overall defensive and physical efforts made most Kings fans forget all about Lubo. Yet, they gave up the best player in the deal.

With Edmonton already hugging the cap, they're going to need to get rid of a player with a high salary to make any kind of improvements. Now, whether you think you can swing Penner & a pick for Toews is your own fault but it ain't gonna be easy. Lowe ****ed the Oilers and it's Tambellini's job to fix it. Unless of course, you feel confident with the current group you have... which if that's the case, all the power to you and all that jazz.

But sometimes, you have to give a little in order to spread the wealth. Horcoff, Visnovsky & Penner's contracts insist they have big shoes to fill... and to this point, none of them have earned it.
LA's situation is completely different, they didn't trade their best player at the time to get better and they traded Visnovsky for pieces they didn't have. We really dont have a place where Pomminville would fit except for the 2nd line RW with Sully and Gags but frankly I'd rather have Nilsson at that spot and Visnovsky on the backend anyways.

"With Edmonton already hugging the cap, they're going to need to get rid of a player with a high salary to make any kind of improvements" So by this you mean flipping Visnovsky (5.6) for Pomminville (5.3) helps out our cap?

"Unless of course, you feel confident with the current group you have... which if that's the case, all the power to you and all that jazz. " Now im not the GM but Tambellini has stated he is confident with the team we have right now and if something needs to be changed later on he'll try and do that.

Old
08-14-2009, 08:25 PM
GreenPenInk

These trades are odd and I'm not an Oilers fan.. but, I used to hope LA starts doing well soon but after looking at some of their fans. Yikes. I hope they don't change their ways, if they're this bad just hyping up a team of mostly prospects/up and comers I can't imagine them if they ever start to win hockey games.

GreenPenInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
I love Edmonton fans.
Yea, were great hey?

Old
08-14-2009, 08:47 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
Quote:
Roloson isn't playing for us anymore and the only other one I see says Souray is our best Defenseman

Good try though.
Vishnovsky is defenseman though?

Unless...

Vis = best player
Souray = best defenseman
Souray =/= best player

I don't know how that works.

Of course, if the post saying Souray was the best defenseman was before the Oilers acquired Vis, I'd understand where you're coming from.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 08:56 PM
FunkyChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by C For Choke View Post

Unless...

Vis = best player
Souray = best defenseman
Souray =/= best player

Of course, if the post saying Souray was the best defenseman was before the Oilers acquired Vis, I'd understand where you're coming from.
Here's the general concensus on Hemsky,Souray and Visnovsky:
Visnovsky is the better defenseman.
Souray is needed more because the team lacks grit and leadership which he brings.
Hemsky is the best player.

FunkyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by C For Choke View Post

Unless...

Vis = best player
Souray = best defenseman
Souray =/= best player

Yea I was just pointing out that it only meant someone thinks Souray is our best D but that doesn't mean he's our best player..

The majority of Edmonton fans think either Hemsky or Visnovsky is our best player but they're too close to tell. Rarely someone will say Souray.

Old
08-14-2009, 09:31 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
i like Edmonton's defense.

Two moves = Cogliano to wing, Staios and a pick to Washington for Fleischmann.

oh right, the cap.

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Seachd

Meh, I don't think either one really helps the Oilers. I certainly wouldn't consider the one involving the Kings.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 10:14 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
so go like this

to LA
Penner
Cogs
2nd rounder

to EDM
Brown

or

LA
Cogs
Nilsson
Pouiot
2nd rounder

EDM
Brown

one or the other

LA laughs in your face with these proposals.

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 10:16 PM
SaintAnton

vCash: 101
Quote:
so go like this

to LA
Penner
Cogs
2nd rounder

to EDM
Brown

or

LA
Cogs
Nilsson
Pouiot
2nd rounder

EDM
Brown

one or the other

good luck with that

more realistically Cogs + Nilsson + 1st '10 + 1st '11 might get you Brown

SaintAnton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 11:00 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
I stand by my Roloson comment. Visnovsky and Hemsky are without a doubt the most talented on the Oilers but we would have drafted Tavares and JVR(not Kane. The Flyers obviously didn't win the lottery) without Roloson in net.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 12:24 AM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

I know this vet that can fix them...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 01:00 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Why trade for Hanzus and his bad contract when better guys like Betts + Maholtra are out there for cheaper.

Both deals are not good enough for Edmonton.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 01:41 AM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Penner > Handzus
Cogliano > Simmonds

Fail

Maybe if Buffalo added Sekera or Gaustad then the Oilers might do that one.
Absolutely, embarrassingly wrong.

Handzus is an elite checking line center, and Cogliano is a nice, but average support scoring center. By no means in any sense, to any team in this league is a dime-a-dozen like Cogliano worth what Handzus brings night in and night out. Nearly 3/4ths of the league has a Cogliano-type in their system.

Penner couldn't fetch you anything better than a 2nd rounder/marginal prospect right now. Keep him, and let him earn his contract. Simmonds is a fast riser, and may be a good value straight up for Cogliano, but the Kings would never touch it.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 01:44 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
By no means in any sense, to any team in this league is a dime-a-dozen like Cogliano worth what Handzus brings night in and night out.

He'll be here all night folks. Don't forget to tip your server.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 01:45 AM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Why trade for Hanzus and his bad contract when better guys like Betts + Maholtra are out there for cheaper.

Both deals are not good enough for Edmonton.
You could frankenstein Betts and Malholtra's best parts into one player, and let him play for free, and he still couldn't carry Handzus' sticks

Old
08-15-2009, 01:47 AM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post

He'll be here all night folks. Don't forget to tip your server.
Laugh all you want, the jokes on you

Old
08-15-2009, 02:03 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
Laugh all you want, the jokes on you
Why? First of all, Cogliano is a speedy centreman with point potential in the 60's-70's. In my mind, Simmonds is a gritty player with offense who will put up 40-50 points a year.

Handzus is being pretty overrated here. His contract is still bad, especially for a 3rd line centre, and Penner could play better under Pat Quinn.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote