HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stephane Robidas' New Contract

View Poll Results: What will Robidas' contract pay per year?
Trade - No Contract 8 30.77%
$2 to $2.5 million 6 23.08%
$2.5 to $3 million 5 19.23%
$3 to $3.5 million 5 19.23%
$3.5 to $4 million 2 7.69%
$4 to $5 million 0 0%
$5 million + 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-15-2009, 01:07 PM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Stephane Robidas' New Contract

So far, we've given Niskanen and Grossman a new contract. This puts the Stars at 7 defensemen.

Matt Niskanen, Nicklas Grossman, Trevor Daley, Karlis Skrastins, Mark Fistric, Ivan Vishnevskiy, and Jeff Woywitka.

If you want to give Robidas a contract, Vishnevskiy has to spend another year in the AHL or a different player has to be traded.

I don't think they should give him a contract. In fact, I think they should trade him now. Like Ott, his value may never be higher, and he could sign a pretty big contract in free agency.

Vishnevskiy and Larsen are pushing for roster spots now, they could (and are likely) to be beating the door down for one next year. Dallas could have the great problem of trying to fit them both on the roster in 2010.

Robidas is an OK defenseman, but I don’t think he has more potential than Niskanen, Grossman, Daley, Vishnevskiy, or Larsen. Dallas may be a better team this year with him, but I don’t think they should mortgage their future for a player like Robidas.

They could get a solid asset for him right now. Make a move instead of losing him for nothing.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Shabutie

You do realize that his value goes up at the trade deadline right? A lot of teams will be looking for a reliable veteran defenceman.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 01:37 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
You do realize that his value goes up at the trade deadline right? A lot of teams will be looking for a reliable veteran defenceman.
Dallas needs to trade a defenseman now (8 under contract), and I doubt they'd move him at the deadline when I believe the team will be in a playoff position.

It's either trade him now or lose him for nothing later, IMO.

Old
08-15-2009, 03:46 PM
BigG44

For the people who believe Robidas will sign another contract with Dallas, I'm interested in how you feel Dallas will resolve the logjam at D next season.

Keeping Vishnevskiy in the AHL is by far the easiest option, but I'd be very tentative about keeping a Russian player in the AHL a 3rd season in a contract year. Based on piqued's prospect poll, most Dallas fans are very high on this guy. I feel like teams are going to have to have to factor in the KHL when making decisions about roster spots. An organization can risk losing a mid-range prospect, Sergei Korostin's a good example, but Vishnevskiy would be a big blow. The salary cap has forced teams to rely heavily on young players.

Another logical option would be trading Trevor Daley, but I guess I’d take Daley’s long term value to the team over Robidas.

Last edited by BigG44: 08-15-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old
08-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

I think they'll wait till just before the season starts. Some team is going to need a cheap defenseman, because of the salary cap or because someone got hurt. Dallas will get a nice prospect back. Too bad they didn't make the trade at the last deadline.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 04:08 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I think they'll wait till just before the season starts. Some team is going to need a cheap defenseman, because of the salary cap or because someone got hurt. Dallas will get a nice prospect back. Too bad they didn't make the trade at the last deadline.
I know it easy to play the "what if" game (and I don't think many people would have guessed John Moore would fall to the 20's), but you'd think the Stars could have received a late 1st at the trade deadline considering his contract and a shot at a player like Moore.

Old
08-15-2009, 04:28 PM
txomisc

Im in the trade him camp. Hes solid for a mid pair defenseman and his contract isnt bad, but with the dmen we have now hes just going to block younger higher potential guys. I too am wary of leaving Vishnevskiy in the minors too long. Ideally he would be a midseason callup and never go back down, but as it stands there will have to be a trade, a couple injuries, or some major struggling for some players to even get him a shot this year.

Id say the best time to trade Robidas is right before the season starts. Hes got a relatively cheap contract so alot of teams should have room for him. Also we'll likely see teams with players they expected to step up but struggle, and teams facing early injury problems that could definately use a dman like him.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 04:31 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I know it easy to play the "what if" game (and I don't think many people would have guessed John Moore would fall to the 20's), but you'd think the Stars could have received a late 1st at the trade deadline considering his contract and a shot at a player like Moore.
I am fairly sure they could have. Even a later first rounder would have allowed them a ton more flexibility in the draft.

Old
08-16-2009, 12:01 PM
BigG44

Too close to call.

Old
08-16-2009, 07:51 PM
map94

I can't imagine any way the Stars don't have at least one veteran defensemen that they can rely on to play significant minutes (top 4) for them next season. I don't think either Hutchinson or Skrastins is that guy either. I'm not sure how they will manage all the young players or if Robidas is going to be that veteran. Personally I would be in favor of trading for a top pairing veteran that's not too old (early 30s) and giving up some younger assets to do it. I don't see how they can hang on to all of them. Doing something like that could resolve the issue of who plays when.

I really don't believe Robidas would bring a first rounder in trade value. If he does resign, I'd guess he gets 2 years at $3M per season.

map94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 05:08 PM
ScubaSteve*

Robidas should be traded, preferably before the regular season starts, but if not then at the trade deadline is ok.

If not that, then he should definitely be non-tendered next year.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
For who, though? Picks, or an upgrade?

Not sure how thrilled I'd be about Trevor Daley being our #1 defenceman. Or Niskanen, even, if that happens to be the case. Robidas isn't exactly Zubov, no doubt, but right now I see him as our top all-around defenceman.

08-17-2009, 06:24 PM
Caseman

Nieuwendyk said this team can win now. Trading Robidas for a draft pick or prospect would contradict this.

Now if you could get Byfuglien or something Dallas needs, then I think it would be an appropriate move to trade him before the season starts.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 09:21 PM
aisforaaron83

Unless you are fleecing someone in a deal then I do not understand the trade Robidas talk. The guy is not a top 2 defenseman. However, this is a guy that can play in your top 4 and be effective in an injury crunch. AT ONLY 1.5 mil!!!!!! If you trade him, unless the other GM is a moron, you do not get an equivalent return, IMO. I would highly doubt that anyone gives up a 1st for him.

I understand looking at all options, but we need to improve the D not take away from it.

aisforaaron83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Robidas walks away after his contract expires without an offer tendered. He won't be traded, but rather he walks away in free agency.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 09:23 AM
BigG44

Quote:
"I wish I could get five or six years. That's what I would like, but that doesn't mean that's what I will be offered," Robidas told La Tribune. "I will not be too greedy, just want to be paid at my true value. Certainly I hope it is resolved before I become an unrestricted free agent next July."
Quote:
"I heard that the Stars wanted me to offer long-term, but there has been no formal discussions with my agent about it," Robidas told the newspaper. "Whether it is negotiated during the season season is not a problem for me. "
http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/inde...y/1956-2008-09

Old
08-24-2009, 02:47 PM
txomisc

Quote:
saw that and it scared me. I think they will end up keeping him for several years, maybe 3 or so, but if its 5 or 6 thats just ridiculous. You dont give 5 or 6 year deals to mediocre defensemen

Old
08-24-2009, 03:56 PM
IniNew

Sorry to go off topic, but Big44, do you by chance play at Nytex?

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
saw that and it scared me. I think they will end up keeping him for several years, maybe 3 or so, but if its 5 or 6 thats just ridiculous. You dont give 5 or 6 year deals to mediocre defensemen
100% agree.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 04:48 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by IniNew View Post
Sorry to go off topic, but Big44, do you by chance play at Nytex?
What is Nytex?

Old
08-24-2009, 07:27 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
I like Robidas a lot more than most here it seems, but I have to wonder if it wouldn't be best to simply let him get the biggest contract he can on the open market. This will be his only chance to make serious money and he has to take care of his family.

Next season we'll still have Skrastins as a veteran leader if Robi leaves, plus by that point Daley will have to be considered a full-fledged vet. That then allows room in the top 6 for all 4 of the young guys. Then the following year you maybe let Skrastins walk, roll with Daley as the leader and bring in Larsen.

But I certainly wouldn't trade Robidas this year. That would send a strong message to the players that the team is not serious about contending.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
What is Nytex?
http://www.nytexsports.com/

Where the Brahmas play.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 09:39 PM
map94

Robidas should be extremely motivated this season. This is probably his last chance to get a pretty decent contract. In fact, his next contract might have a larger total value than all his previous contracts combined. I would expect him to have one of his best seasons ever based on that fact alone. If this team is going to compete this season, they will need players with that kind of motivation playing for them.

map94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
If we give Robidas a front loaded contract for 5-6 years, say, 3mil down to something like 1mil at the end of it, I would be happy with that.

11.5/6 years, gives him just a bit under 2mil cap hit, which I think would be fine, considering his current contract is 1.5mil/year. Something like that. He gets his payday and we stay out of Cap Hell regarding his contract. I'd rather not trade him, considering everything he's given to this team and how damn good of a job he's done in the past couple years.

Trade Daley to somewhere for a pick or prospect, replace him with Vish/Woywitka.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 12:12 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by map94 View Post
Robidas should be extremely motivated this season. This is probably his last chance to get a pretty decent contract. In fact, his next contract might have a larger total value than all his previous contracts combined. I would expect him to have one of his best seasons ever based on that fact alone. If this team is going to compete this season, they will need players with that kind of motivation playing for them.
Why? Its not as if anyone questions his effort. I dont really know that he can possibly try any harder on the ice. In fact the way for him to really improve would be to play more within himself and not rush all over the ice so much to go for big hits.