HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

09-10 Junior, NCAA, and Euro Prospect Thread

Old
10-28-2009, 09:56 PM
k1llua

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to k1llua
OEL's line so far in Sweden:

3-4-7 with 68 PIMs in 13 games

Offense looks good. He's already matched his goal total from last season.

What's up with all the PIMs? What's he been doing over there? Eating babies on the ice?

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:51 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llua View Post
Eating babies on the ice?
The stem cells give him strength, Hack-Man!

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 02:59 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

They don't take kindly to fighting majors in Sweden, apparently. OEL has decided to throw down a couple of times this year. He got five for fighting plus twenty in misconducts for each fight. That explains fifty of the sixty eight PIMs, right there. Eighteen in thirteen isn't exactly encouraging, but at least the scrawny little ******* has some balls. Seriously, he's a little guy. A kid in a men's league, too. I'm encouraged by the heart, no doubt. Still, as smart as he's billed and as good a skater as he's billed, minor penalties should not be in his vocabulary. Maybe some other Swedish thing I am not aware of. Maybe a rookie bias, or something. Who knows? I've never seen a second tier Swedish league game.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 03:28 AM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I've never seen a second tier Swedish league game.
And you call yourself a hockey fan? Amateur.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2009, 03:36 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
And you call yourself a hockey fan? Amateur.
I miss the International Channel.

Herdy gerdy berdy gerdy hooking gerdy herdy gerdy herdy off sides herdy gerdy berdy gerdy tripping bork bork bork.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2009, 01:09 AM
Dan

Good to see Chris Brown with a two goal game. Summers with an assist.
Box score

Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 12:46 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Got to watch OEL play for the first time, last night. For some reason Sweden has sent some of their best U20 players to Canada for a grand tour of beating the crap out of a bunch poor Canadian university teams. Anyway, he looked pretty solid against totally overwhelmed opposition.

Old
11-05-2009, 02:16 AM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Got to watch OEL play for the first time, last night. For some reason Sweden has sent some of their best U20 players to Canada for a grand tour of beating the crap out of a bunch poor Canadian university teams. Anyway, he looked pretty solid against totally overwhelmed opposition.
Was his skating ability and transition game as good as advertised?

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 10:43 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
Was his skating ability and transition game as good as advertised?
That's what stood out most. Smooth, quietly effective. Moves very well, and likes to move around a lot. Solid positioning, though, and good passing. He was paired with Swedish phenom Adam Larsson(supposedly twice the player Hedman is), though, and was pretty much over-shadowed. Plus, it's hard to get a good read when they're playing a Canadian university team. It was like Iceland against the Mighty Ducks.

Ekman-Larsson should consider just going by Oliver Ekman. It's going to be like if some really good number one defenseman was named Oliver Ekman-Lidstrom over the last twenty years. Would suck for that guy, right? Some really good, young thirty goal, fourty assist center named Oliver Ekman-Crosby. Bummer. He needs to lose the Larsson.

Old
11-05-2009, 11:58 AM
BuddehJuS

Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
Quote:
That's what stood out most. Smooth, quietly effective. Moves very well, and likes to move around a lot. Solid positioning, though, and good passing. He was paired with Swedish phenom Adam Larsson(supposedly twice the player Hedman is), though, and was pretty much over-shadowed. Plus, it's hard to get a good read when they're playing a Canadian university team. It was like Iceland against the Mighty Ducks.

Ekman-Larsson should consider just going by Oliver Ekman. It's going to be like if some really good number one defenseman was named Oliver Ekman-Lidstrom over the last twenty years. Would suck for that guy, right? Some really good, young thirty goal, fourty assist center named Oliver Ekman-Crosby. Bummer. He needs to lose the Larsson.
then you run into, "Is he related to Nils Ekman?"

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 12:01 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

True. It is hard to get out from under that enormous Nils Ekman shadow.

Old
11-05-2009, 12:12 PM
PhoPhan

It's not his fault Sweden only has four last names.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Watching Duchene play last night reminded me of why I was so pissed at the Coyotes utterly useless winning streak towards the end of last season.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 02:26 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
Watching Duchene play last night reminded me of why I was so pissed at the Coyotes utterly useless winning streak towards the end of last season.
I hear you. I thought Duchene was really impressive. His ability to drive the net, for a skinny 18 year old, was remarkable.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 02:32 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'm not sure if I'd call him skinny, really. He's got a powerful lower body. More like a Boedker than a Turris.

Old
11-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
I'm not sure if I'd call him skinny, really. He's got a powerful lower body. More like a Boedker than a Turris.
Except unlike Boedker, he already seems to have a nose for the net. I hope Boedker develops that but so far he just does not display a goal scorers mentality. Kinda reminds me of a poor mans Ales Hemsky.

Regardless it sucks ass that Duchene was EASILY within grasp and the Coyotes decided to string a few wins together when it didn't matter one ****ing bit!

Old
11-05-2009, 04:53 PM
RR

Quote:
Except unlike Boedker, he already seems to have a nose for the net. I hope Boedker develops that but so far he just does not display a goal scorers mentality. Kinda reminds me of a poor mans Ales Hemsky.

Regardless it sucks ass that Duchene was EASILY within grasp and the Coyotes decided to string a few wins together when it didn't matter one ****ing bit!
And the saga of this sorry franchise continued. Lose when it mattered; win when it didn't.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 10:43 PM
XX
... Waiting

Are you guys going to cry when OEL comes in here and does his best Lidstrom/Zubov impression?

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 10:55 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
Are you guys going to cry when OEL comes in here and does his best Lidstrom/Zubov impression?
Huh?

Old
11-05-2009, 10:56 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Huh?
Everyone is throwing a fit over how we could have had Duchene yet are quick to ignore the fact we landed OEL.

Old
11-05-2009, 11:14 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Everyone is throwing a fit over how we could have had Duchene yet are quick to ignore the fact we landed OEL.
He and the rest of the best U20 Swedes in the world sure have looked good beating the crap out of these poor Canadian college kids. What in the hell is the purpose of this tournament? It's like Michigan playing ASU. Like the Coyotes playing the Sun Dogs. Either way, you still get a good idea of how OEL thinks and moves out there. Very smooth, very slick. Goal and an assist tonight. I like what I've seen. He's been solid, even if he's had to hang back a little more being partnered with Adam Larsson who is just stealing the show. I swear, that Larsson kid would go first overall this year, if teams were allowed to take him. He's a flat out phenom.

Old
11-06-2009, 12:22 AM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Nah... Tikhonov just cost us Schenn.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 01:33 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Lidstrom...really?! If we're going to play the extreme exaggeration game then yes I will cry because by then Duchene will be doing his best Sakic impression.

Quote:
It's hard to get excited about OEL until he actually does something at the NHL level. Duchene is 18, in the NHL and already looks good. Of course only time will tell who the better pick will be but at the moment it's not much of a stretch to wish we had Duchene.

Old
11-06-2009, 02:03 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
yes I will cry because by then Duchene will be doing his best Sakic impression.
We already have Turris, yo. No need to cry.

Quote:
It's hard to get excited about OEL until he actually does something at the NHL level. Duchene is 18, in the NHL and already looks good. Of course only time will tell who the better pick will be but at the moment it's not much of a stretch to wish we had Duchene.
When Z wants big money, we lose Jovo, Aucoin etc... You're going to be glad we went with a great Dman. Having OEL, Goncharov, Summers and Ahnelov is just an absolute embarrassment of riches.

I love shiny new toys and all, and I agree with you, to a point. Just wait. OEL isn't far off and he is going to make a huge impact. Those last few wins last season might have mentally prepared the guys for a successful season, as well. I am much happier with the team we have now, and OEL, than a team that showed zero promise and had Duchene.

Old
11-06-2009, 03:57 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
When Z wants big money, we lose Jovo, Aucoin etc... You're going to be glad we went with a great Dman. Having OEL, Goncharov, Summers and Ahnelov is just an absolute embarrassment of riches.

I love shiny new toys and all, and I agree with you, to a point. Just wait. OEL isn't far off and he is going to make a huge impact. Those last few wins last season might have mentally prepared the guys for a successful season, as well. I am much happier with the team we have now, and OEL, than a team that showed zero promise and had Duchene.
I certainly hope OEL ends up being all that and a bag of peanuts but for now I remain skeptical. As for the winning streak at the end of the season, I highly doubt it has absolutely anything to do with how the team is playing this year. Totally different team, brand new coaches and brand new system (or shall I say a system). I hope OEL ends up awesome but I can't imagine he'll end up being a better player than Duchene. You never know though, only time will tell. Speaking of which we probably won't even see OEL for 2 more years.