HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

09-10 Junior, NCAA, and Euro Prospect Thread

Old
11-06-2009, 04:39 AM
PHX FireBirds18

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
I love shiny new toys and all, and I agree with you, to a point. Just wait. OEL isn't far off and he is going to make a huge impact. Those last few wins last season might have mentally prepared the guys for a successful season, as well. I am much happier with the team we have now, and OEL, than a team that showed zero promise and had Duchene.
I forget where I saw it, but Maloney was quoted as saying something to the extent of how it was a good thing that he was still under contract in Leksand and that they would have had a hard decision with him because he was already so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I certainly hope OEL ends up being all that and a bag of peanuts but for now I remain skeptical. As for the winning streak at the end of the season, I highly doubt it has absolutely anything to do with how the team is playing this year. Totally different team, brand new coaches and brand new system (or shall I say a system). I hope OEL ends up awesome but I can't imagine he'll end up being a better player than Duchene. You never know though, only time will tell. Speaking of which we probably won't even see OEL for 2 more years.
Duchene was rated higher in the draft, but many people have come out and said that OEL could very well be the best player from his draft. Even better than his fellow countryman taken 2nd overall. Me personally I'm really excited about OEL, everything I read about him sounds like he can take control of the game with his hockey IQ and skating ability, a rare commodity from the backend. We have to be patient, but I do agree Duchene looked real good.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 11:45 AM
PPD7952

Send a message via AIM to PPD7952 Send a message via MSN to PPD7952 Send a message via Yahoo to PPD7952
Maloney did say early in the rookie camp that he was glad that OEL was under contract because he and the coaching staff felt that he was NHL ready, but that going back to Sweden for the season would allow him time to get bigger and stronger and would discourage the team from rushing him in any fashion. This is great to hear and it is nice that we are drafting the right players finally.

As for the talk about him, yes, many of the announcers and commentators during the draft agreed that OEL has the best long term potential of the players to be the best player from the draft and a total game breaker with his skating, IQ, and overall ability to manage the game from the blueline. He was compared on several occasions to having the Lidstrom and Neidermayer comparison (which is lofty) used for evaluating his potential.

PPD7952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 12:10 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'm thinking more like a Michalek with some of Yandle's better qualities thrown in. A legit number one. Not necessarily a star player, though. That would be more than fine with me me.

Last edited by rt: 11-06-2009 at 12:16 PM.
rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
Duchene was rated higher in the draft, but many people have come out and said that OEL could very well be the best player from his draft.
Not to be Debbie Downer but I've heard the "X could very well be the best player from his draft" spiel about half of the first round picks.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 02:29 PM
Kaizen

Quote:
Not to be Debbie Downer but I've heard the "X could very well be the best player from his draft" spiel about half of the first round picks.
Agreed. I'm really curious as to why OEL is playing one step below the SEL. Is it as simple as that's who owns his contract rights and therefore that's where he plays?

Someone in another thread mentioned his team had been relegated from the SEL - Leksands seems to have been a top team for the last couple of three seasons, why haven't they jumped back up to the Elite League?

Edit: Answered my own question. The Kvalserien, a tournament between the respective bottom two and top three teams in each league determines who plays in the Elitserien the following season. The winner of a round robin amongst the next four best teams in the HockeyAllsvenskan qualifies for the final tournament spot.

In answering the second question I also solved for the first.

Last edited by Kaizen: 11-06-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2009, 02:42 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
Edit: Answered my own question...

In answering the second question I also solved for the first.
HAHA! It's all laid out on the wiki page.

Old
11-06-2009, 02:50 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Yeah, but this quote came directly from Craig Button. Craig freaking Button, Sin. You don't argue with genius.

Seriously, though, he doesn't have to be a perenial all-star. Just a legit number one defenseman. I'm guessing he'll be some kind of mixture of the things we all love about Z and the things we all love about Yandle. That's pretty damned good in my opinion. Well worth a sixth overall pick. Especially considering that Z and Yandle will still probably be here, with Goncharov, Summers, and Stone all on the way.

OEL-Goncharov
Michalek-Yandle
Summers-Stone

Not bad.

Old
11-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Yeah, but this quote came directly from Craig Button. Craig freaking Button, Sin. You don't argue with genius.

Seriously, though, he doesn't have to be a perenial all-star. Just a legit number one defenseman. I'm guessing he'll be some kind of mixture of the things we all love about Z and the things we all love about Yandle. That's pretty damned good in my opinion. Well worth a sixth overall pick. Especially considering that Z and Yandle will still probably be here, with Goncharov, Summers, and Stone all on the way.

OEL-Goncharov
Michalek-Yandle
Summers-Stone

Not bad.
Not bad at all but if it's one thing the Coyotes prospects have shown us it's that potential is just that until realized. We all thought Mueller would be the next big thing (he still could be in all fairness) but as DM alluded to a couple of months ago, they've yet to land that player that just comes out of the gate flying and never looks back.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2009, 01:33 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:

OEL-Goncharov
Michalek-Yandle
Summers-Stone

Not bad.
LOL... to be fair I read quotes from Hakan Andersson and Jarmo Kekalainen, both of them saying how impressed they were with OEL. That's good enough for me.

In my very limited viewing of the guy, he reminds of Kimmo Timonen.

Old
11-07-2009, 04:01 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Those are some pretty strong sources of endorsement. As far as Timonen goes, I'd be just fine with OEL turning out to be a three time All-Star.

Old
11-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Bills09

Chris Brown with 5 goals 2 assists in 8 games with 25 pims so far, pretty decent id say

Bills09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 11:46 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills09 View Post
Chris Brown with 5 goals 2 assists in 8 games with 25 pims so far, pretty decent id say
Do we have a mini-Toews on our hands here or what? I thought power forwards get off to slow starts in college. He is on pace for mid 20s on goals, which is about what Heatley and Toews did. Just sayin, for perspective. Great start for him. I thought Michigan wasn't very stacked this year as well?

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 11:57 AM
PhoPhan

If it's perspective you're looking for, do you remember the start Kyle Turris got off to at Wisconsin?

PhoPhan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 12:00 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
If it's perspective you're looking for, do you remember the start Kyle Turris got off to at Wisconsin?
Do you remember that he was subsequently pulled out of that great situation early?

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 12:31 PM
PhoPhan

My point is Turris got off to an unbelievable start in his first few games against weaker competition and then fell back to earth over the course of the season. He put up more than a third of his season total in the first four games of the year.

http://www.uscho.com/stats/gamebygam...72008&gender=m

I'm not belittling Brown's achievement here. He's off to a nice start. It's just a bit premature to throw him in with Jonathan Toews and Dany Heatley, even on a collegiate level.

PhoPhan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 12:32 PM
hbk

Chris Brown strikes me as a guy who scores those garbage / in close rebound goals in the tough areas / areas where you take a physical beating. Am I close?

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2009, 12:37 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

To be fair, Kyle Turris was lotto pick. Chris Brown was a second rounder. Also, Turris was supposed to become a scoring machine. The scouting reports on Chris Brown were big bodied, physical, character, banger for an energy or checking line. I certainly did not expect this kind of fast start for him at the D1 level. In fact, I figured he'd be a fourth liner that spent half the season just trying to adjust. To me, that's what makes his fast start more noteworthy/encouraging than Turris'. Also, while Lake Superior State and Alaska-Anchorage aren't exactly powerhouses, they're certainly better than Robert Morrises that Turris was beating up on. I mean, they play in the best division in college hockey and generally finish with win percentages in the fourties or fifties. Robert Morris plays in a no-name division. Oh, and Brown had Michigan's lone goal in a loss to the #1 ranked Miami, as well.

Last edited by rt: 11-10-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old
11-10-2009, 12:41 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Chris Brown strikes me as a guy who scores those garbage / in close rebound goals in the tough areas / areas where you take a physical beating. Am I close?
That's how it appeared in his draft reel. I haven't been able to watch any Michigan games this season, because there haven't been any on t.v. yet. It's killing me, too. I've become a HUGE Michigan hockey fan over the last four or five years. So much so that I always remain a fan of their players, even when they're playing for other NHL teams. It's tearing me up that Mike Brown plays for the damn quacks. So much so that I now root for their football team that I've traditionally hated. The Wolverines are easily my second favorite hockey team in the world. It's not even close.

As soon as I get to see a Michigan game(I'll watch every one on t.v., and I hope it'll be at least 8-10 games) I'll be sure to type of a detailed scouting report. Shift by shift, probably.

EDIT: I'm going through Michigan's multi-media stuff, right now. Watching highlights and interviews. Chris Brown has been quite impressive in both. I've seen him score a couple of goals, set a nice one up, screen the goalie on another, and be Johny on the Spot to save another goal. Good stuff.

Last edited by rt: 11-10-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old
11-11-2009, 07:23 AM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
From what I remember that's about correct, although I believe he is known for having a very good shot. All the scouting reports I read on the guy kind of leans towards him being a 3rd line kind of player, with real leadership intangibles that might vault him into a top 6 player because of it. I believe I made the Jamie Langenbrunner comparison at the time. TJ Oshie might be another good comparison, a real puck hound.

Old
11-11-2009, 08:00 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
From what I remember that's about correct, although I believe he is known for having a very good shot. All the scouting reports I read on the guy kind of leans towards him being a 3rd line kind of player, with real leadership intangibles that might vault him into a top 6 player because of it. I believe I made the Jamie Langenbrunner comparison at the time. TJ Oshie might be another good comparison, a real puck hound.
He comes off as remarkably mature in interviews. Seems to be very comfortable in his own skin. Especially for a teenager. I haven't been as impressed with a post draft interview since Chris Summers. We can just go ahead and keep drafting out of Michigan, as far as I'm concerned.

Old
11-11-2009, 09:50 AM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
He comes off as remarkably mature in interviews. Seems to be very comfortable in his own skin. Especially for a teenager. I haven't been as impressed with a post draft interview since Chris Summers. We can just go ahead and keep drafting out of Michigan, as far as I'm concerned.
Don't forget about Porter(i'm sure you didn't). The guy sounds like a 10 year veteran. You're right, Michigan puts out some very impressive players, real leader types, the kind if guys that win championships.

There was an interview with Maloney. I tried to find it, but no luck. They talked about interviewing Brown and how they came away so impressed by him. Maloney said something to extent that sometimes every now and then you interview a player, and when the interview is over you just know the guy is going to do everything he can to get to the NHL. I like the sound of that.

I'll try to find it again so everyone can read it.

Old
11-15-2009, 08:08 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I got a chance to watch Michigan play against Michigan State. I was quite impressed with Brown. He's so powerful for a freshman. I real bull, and only eighteen. It's exciting. I was most suprised by his shot, though. Kid has a laser. I hadn't heard anything about it, but it's a good one. He is definitely not fleet of foot, however. He's going to need a lot of work in that department. His hard nosed play, bullet shot, and choppy skating reminded me a lot of Owen Nolan, during his time in Phoenix. Anyway, he was impressive and had a nice assist to Carl Hagelin, on a rush. Michigan didn't look great, though, and deserved the loss.

Summers was his typical self(which is a very good thing), but appears to have a little more offensive confidence this year, as a senior. I'm excited to continue to follow him, as well.

Old
11-15-2009, 08:44 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Summers was his typical self(which is a very good thing), but appears to have a little more offensive confidence this year, as a senior. I'm excited to continue to follow him, as well.
Is he still playing D?

Old
11-15-2009, 10:13 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Is he still playing D?
Yes. The whole forward business was a total joke, in my opinion. It should be fogotten about. He is a defenseman. There is no question about that.

Old
11-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Dan

St. Cloud State 4, Wisconsin 1
Coyotes 09' 3rd rounder Mike Lee and St. Cloud State got the best of Brett Bennett and Wisconsin this weekend.

Dan is offline   Reply With Quote