HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When will the CBJ make their next splash?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-16-2009, 10:26 AM
  #26
FlaggerX
Registered User
 
FlaggerX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Columbus
Posts: 1,172
vCash: 500
The team lost ten million bucks over the last few years and now we're supposed to spend like mad leaving no room for the Young and Gifted to get re-signed. Sorry, that's not happening. Smarter (as Viqsi and Skraut pointed out) to keep those kids together.

I think we'll make a splash this year, but it will come in a late trade, possibly during training camp. There are a lot of teams needing to dump salary, and we have cap room. That's when Howson will move. But so far as high-priced UFA's are going, he's done. As he should be.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:32 AM
  #27
JS19
Four Kicks
 
JS19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Shark Tank
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
I never said we need a whole team full of free agents, and I never will say that.

What I was saying is that we have had extra cap space every single year it's been available, and have not used it to improve the team. That will be true in 09/10.
The only RFA coming up is Brassard. Mason is 2 years away, as is Voracek/Filatov. Too early to worry about that.
The Penguins didn't seem to have any cap problems like everyone said they would 12 months ago.
Even with Mason and the other big 3 signed, we're still going to have extra cap space not used, and that was my whole point. Failing to improve the team when you can.
The Florida Marlins pocket their luxury tax money every year and don't use it on players.
I agree with the strong core of drafted players, but you need free agents and veterans to compliment those young players.
I don't see why you guys think that 20 and 21 year olds are going to take us to the Stanley Cup.
I mean, the goal in my mind is to win the Cup, am I alone here? Cutting corners and pinching pennies is good when you're only worried about making a profit and not winning.
Well, now they are, signing Malkin+Crosby+Staal to big contracts is hurting them but not so much yet (Satan, Scuderi left).
And no you're not alone in thinking the cup is the goal.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 11:13 AM
  #28
cbjpointman
It begins here
 
cbjpointman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 475
vCash: 500
As many have noted, we are a budget team and Howson has to manage within that. I do think the next big splash will come when the Cup is in sight and one expensive piece could put us over the top. This is as likely to come through a trade as anything.

Howson's job, as a small market GM, is to walk the fine line between fielding a competitive team and working within the budget. I've always viewed the plan as growing the team incrementally through the draft & kids. Hopefully success will grow the fanbase and tickets sales to allow a higher budget.

The margin for error in a market like ours is so slim that one ill-advised signing or a couple of bad draft picks can derail the whole plan. DMGM proved this to me without a doubt.

To the posters that wish ownership was freer spending, I'd remind that this is a business. The days of philanthropist owners just throwing money at franchises are gone, and even were we in that position, I'd argue that it's no guarantee of success (see Snyder, Daniel).

cbjpointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 11:17 AM
  #29
Kessel>Seguin +
Not Even A Big Fan!!
 
Kessel>Seguin +'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ontario
Country: Cambodia
Posts: 4,757
vCash: 500
Next big splash is when Brassard,Mason,Filotov expire. And then when Nash's contract expires (again) lol

Kessel>Seguin + is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 11:18 AM
  #30
Friedrich
This is not my hat.
 
Friedrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salzburg
Country: Austria
Posts: 3,035
vCash: 500
If we spent the extra 10 million in cap space every year, we'd be the Kansas City Jackets.

An ownership that cares purely on making money but keeps a team for ten years that loses millions of dollars every year? You have to earn money to spend money.

Creating a good team is doing exactly what we're doing. Keeping our players that are cheap and bound to be good. Of course you'll have the occational Picard or Brule, but you'll also get the Brassards, Voraceks and Masons and Filitovs.

Friedrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 11:41 AM
  #31
orthosrgn2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,509
vCash: 500
10 million dollar losses are not the way to run a company. Self induced caps are necessary for a small market team like ours. Not only can we not approach the cap this year, but capology requires Howson to be cognizant of the cap for years to come also. We have a good stable of youngsters ( Mason, Brassard, Voracek, Filatov, Russell, Boll, Mayorv) that all will require raises based on their unknown future productions. We all hope they are better than advertised, but that would be foolish to assume. Modin, Torres, Vermette and Klesla also "come off the books" next year and we all have our feelings about each of them. ( I believe Howson does too ). I believe we are FINALLY in a position to see the fruits of our drafts and believe patience is a virtue. I too want to see Lord Stanley's Cup in Columbus, but think free agency has proven too unreliable to make a big splash. CO CBJ!

orthosrgn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 11:48 AM
  #32
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey
 
Timeless Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 16,089
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
So we're all in agreement then?? We're never going to make a big splash. Sounds like it.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 11:51 AM
  #33
orthosrgn2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
So we're all in agreement then?? We're never going to make a big splash. Sounds like it.
Only speaking for myself of course.....no, not now, unless a ridiculous opportunity avails itself.

orthosrgn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 12:05 PM
  #34
Rimers stache
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Paris, FRA
Country: France
Posts: 1,101
vCash: 500
I think the only time we make a big splash is going to be the summer after we (if we do) make it to the western Conf. Finals. Because that should mean we will be one/two players away from achieving the goal.

But there's no need to sign someone just to sign someone when the team is already going the right direction. The West will be tough this year and I think we will end in 8th place again.

Rimers stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 12:57 PM
  #35
Friedrich
This is not my hat.
 
Friedrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salzburg
Country: Austria
Posts: 3,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthosrgn2 View Post
10 million dollar losses are not the way to run a company. Self induced caps are necessary for a small market team like ours. Not only can we not approach the cap this year, but capology requires Howson to be cognizant of the cap for years to come also. We have a good stable of youngsters ( Mason, Brassard, Voracek, Filatov, Russell, Boll, Mayorv) that all will require raises based on their unknown future productions. We all hope they are better than advertised, but that would be foolish to assume. Modin, Torres, Vermette and Klesla also "come off the books" next year and we all have our feelings about each of them. ( I believe Howson does too ). I believe we are FINALLY in a position to see the fruits of our drafts and believe patience is a virtue. I too want to see Lord Stanley's Cup in Columbus, but think free agency has proven too unreliable to make a big splash. CO CBJ!
You also have to consider Vermette's raise if resigned. They are starting negotiations next month.

Friedrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 01:06 PM
  #36
CBJSlash
Registered User
 
CBJSlash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Bus
Posts: 8,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
So we're all in agreement then?? We're never going to make a big splash. Sounds like it.
You are out of your mind.



With the talent we have assembled, we could make a huge trade for a top shelf offensive player tomorrow, but it doesn't make sense for the development of the team.

Sure we may not attract the top free agents in the league (yet), we can still sign some pretty good players like Huselius.

The next big splash will come through a trade. Spending money for the sake of spending money won't help anyone. I have no idea who you'd want to throw money at, at this part of the game. Howson steering clear of big deals in the event of a huge cap drop (and bargains) next year is the most intelligent move we can make. Maybe you aren't in that time of business though.

I'd predict the next big splash will be at the deadline this year. Probably for a player like Kubina (maybe that isn't a big splash).

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 01:07 PM
  #37
Hilliardsw55
Johnson!
 
Hilliardsw55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 4,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimers stache View Post
I think the only time we make a big splash is going to be the summer after we (if we do) make it to the western Conf. Finals. Because that should mean we will be one/two players away from achieving the goal.

But there's no need to sign someone just to sign someone when the team is already going the right direction. The West will be tough this year and I think we will end in 8th place again.
We were in 7th last year.

Hilliardsw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 03:27 PM
  #38
orthosrgn2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
You also have to consider Vermette's raise if resigned. They are starting negotiations next month.
You are absolutely right. I meant to mention that as he is a big concern. Is he going to play to the level we need him to play? Is he going to ask for more than we can afford to resign him??? SOrry I didn't mention that.

orthosrgn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 05:31 PM
  #39
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drinking With Carts
Country: United States
Posts: 16,138
vCash: 500
one thing that is never discussed when talking about the 10m losses etc, is the awful tv contract....if the league could get a viable tv contract, we'd have some excess cash through that...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:48 PM
  #40
psycloud
Registered User
 
psycloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Murray, KY
Country: United States
Posts: 296
vCash: 500
I think the main question to ask is as follows: what big splash NEEDS to be made? If you're talking free agency, the most obvious area of need is an offensive defenseman. I'd consider Rick Nash at least a fair 'splash.' Antoine Vermette could also be a big piece. Whether they're free agents that are currently our property or not is largely irrelevant, they're free agents any way you look at it.

If we're talking free agency, as far as forwards go, there's more or less no room at the inn. You'd likely have to make a trade or bury someone in the minors in order to facilitate such a signing. We let Manny walk and brought Pahlsson in, which is likely a defensive upgrade, probably a downgrade offensively.

As far as an offensive defenseman goes, there aren't many options left out there. I believe Howson kicked some tires, but likely didn't want to get outright screwed over. There's still some time before the season starts, though, and there are still teams that will likely be looking for cap relief before the season starts.

Goaltending? Well, that was pretty well addressed this offseason, I believe. We've got two decent quality prospects fighting for playing time in the minors (one of which has an NHL shutout ), and we signed one of the better backup goalies available (who has shown flashes of starter capability on and off through the years) in Mathieu Garon.

We didn't make any earth-shattering moves this offseason, but from where I'm sitting, we don't need to offer Gaborik a five year, 7.5 million contract to compete. We're a better team now than we were at the start of last summer, or even this summer, for that matter. Howson takes a calculated approach, and that seems to be starting to pay off for us. It's not always a great idea to make moves just for the sake of making them.

psycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:06 PM
  #41
section 204
Registered User
 
section 204's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 554
vCash: 500
I'd like to vote that the next big splash that the Jackets make would be the kind that occurs in May/June when they continue an improbable run through the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

section 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:35 PM
  #42
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycloud View Post
It's not always a great idea to make moves just for the sake of making them.
Yep. The whole point is to build the team the right way. We can't afford to swing and miss on players and large contracts...we can't just buy out our mistakes like the Rangers, Leafs or Flyers can. Growing from within and slowly adding the right pieces is the way to go.

Splashing was the old regime and all it did was set the franchise back about 3 years. Bravo.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 12:39 AM
  #43
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
If we spent the extra 10 million in cap space every year, we'd be the Kansas City Jackets.

An ownership that cares purely on making money but keeps a team for ten years that loses millions of dollars every year? You have to earn money to spend money.

Creating a good team is doing exactly what we're doing. Keeping our players that are cheap and bound to be good. Of course you'll have the occational Picard or Brule, but you'll also get the Brassards, Voraceks and Masons and Filitovs.
Its just a shame none of those cheap players happen to be defensemen....

You have to earn money to spend money? So, let's consider the facts here. The Jackets allegedly lost $10 million in their most succesful season to date. Now, there are some rumors about next year's cap number being lower, but, let's face it, over time the cap is likely to continue to increase even if there is a temporary decrease. Unless this team can have ticket prices increase at a similar rate to player costs, even wtih a budget losses are likely to continue to mount unless the Jackets and Nationwide fix the lease issue. Player salary budgets are the least of this team's problems. Its like that friend you have that orders the diet soda with their triple cheesburger with chili chese fries. The team's financial problems go far beyond player expenses.

And here is another problem. Folks point out that the margin for error for this team is slim. That cuts both ways. Failing to put out a winner right now would be a huge mistake when you consider that the Jackets, in their most successful season to date managed their second lowest average attendance. People only showed up once it became apparent that the team could in fact make the playoffs, and even then I recall some weeknight games having fairly weak turnout.

There may be a core fanbase that strongly supports the Jackets, but the fact of the matter is that the Jackets desperately need the bandwagon types to be successful. They need their butts in seats and they need their demand for tickets so they can increase ticket prices to keep up with increasing player costs. To get those people to games, this team has got to show them its improving from last year's performance which means being in the thick of the playoff race from game 1 to game 82 and ultimately making the playoffs. Not repeating last year's 4 game playoff exit would also be a good thing.

Someone pointed out that we were 7th in the West last year. The Avs were 6th in the conference in '07-'08 and failed to make the playoffs last year. The playoffs are not a given for this team. We're still shallow in our depth at center and our issues on the point have been discussed ad nauseum.

Bottom line, this team needs to succeed to put butts in seats and keep them there. A setback would mean additional losses and it could also complicate resolving the arena lease issues.

A sluggish start for this team would be a bad thing. We had best hope that Howson's wait and see approach to filling obvious holes in this team's lineup don't come back to bite us, or they may yet be the Kansas City Blue Jackets.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 07:17 AM
  #44
General Jacket70
Registered User
 
General Jacket70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 590
vCash: 500
We just made a big splash. . . . .

It was resigning Rick Nash

by the way, let me know when you become the next GM of an NHL hockey team and actually have to MANAGE within the current contexts of both business and sports goals. I don't believe its very easy, but Howson has done as good a job as anyone in making the team competative with the money he's been ALLOWED to spend (i.e. its not his money, so if you want to give him $10 mil+ annually to reach the cap, we'll all pat you on the back and say thanks).

(steps down from soap box) :-)

General Jacket70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 07:25 AM
  #45
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Bottom line, this team needs to succeed to put butts in seats and keep them there. A setback would mean additional losses and it could also complicate resolving the arena lease issues.

A sluggish start for this team would be a bad thing. We had best hope that Howson's wait and see approach to filling obvious holes in this team's lineup don't come back to bite us, or they may yet be the Kansas City Blue Jackets.
I rarely agree with the substance or tone of your posts, but I can't find fault with a single word you've written here.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 08:10 AM
  #46
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,178
vCash: 500
The only place we really need to make a "splash" in on the defense. I'm not hopeful that will happen any time soon.

Other then that, it's a matter of letting some of our crappy contracts roll off and move kids from the system into those places. The fast track rebuild went about as well as can be expected.

If they cap does go down about 6 million next year, we could suddenly find ourselves in a better posistion then some of these teams that have been spending to the cap. Some teams have posistioned themselves to have large contracts roll off over the next couple of years, the contracts will then start to normalize some until the economy recovers. Then we'll be back to where we were before in a couple of years.

In the end, the issue isn't with the Jackets ownership it's still with the CBA. If your goal is to have a 30 team league, the realistic situation is that the current system will lead to large gap in spending from the top revenue to the bottom revenue teams. When some of these teams will be able to throw large contracts to the AHL to avoid the cap hit and we'll still be struggling to reach the cap, there is an issue.

With the current structure the Jackets can not hope to compete on spending. Baring a local ownership group that has a desire to lose 20 million a year. How many billionaires do we have in Columbus anyway? It has nothing to do with "profit" as TW has tried to pass off as "fact". Now if TW says the Jackets would like to minimize loses, I'll go for that.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 08:16 AM
  #47
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."
 
CBJSprague24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 52mi from the Nat
Country: United States
Posts: 6,830
vCash: 500
Our next splash will be that PPQB we've been looking for. When that happens, I don't know.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 12:57 PM
  #48
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Jacket70 View Post
We just made a big splash. . . . .

It was resigning Rick Nash

by the way, let me know when you become the next GM of an NHL hockey team and actually have to MANAGE within the current contexts of both business and sports goals. I don't believe its very easy, but Howson has done as good a job as anyone in making the team competative with the money he's been ALLOWED to spend (i.e. its not his money, so if you want to give him $10 mil+ annually to reach the cap, we'll all pat you on the back and say thanks).

(steps down from soap box) :-)
Yawn...

I guess only those who want to toe the party line are allowed to have an opinion again.

Scott Howson's job is no harder than the other 29 GMs in this league except for maybe Glen Sather who gets a free pass no matter what he does.

If you call treading water a splash, I guess its true that the key to happiness for some is lowered expectations. Personally, I'd like to see this team contend for the Cup and last year's squad wasn't good enough to do it.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 01:16 PM
  #49
Nordique
I ain't even mad
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
You will never see a big name free agent signing with this current ownership in place. Pahlsson is as good as it gets in Columbus.

The ownership cares more about making money than winning. Fact.

There's a reason Howson hasn't even attempted to sign the big name free agents, because he isn't allowed to.

Also, alot of free agents do not want to play for Ken Hitchcock for the fear of hurting their offensive statistics.
There is alot of truth in what you say. We really don't have the cash or the prestige to court the big UFA's. If and when this team finally makes the SCF, I bet you all the top analysts draw comparisons between Columbus and the Carolina Hurricanes. We get there with a healthy mix of "build from within" talent(Nash, Brassard, Russell, Mason, Voracek) and value UFA's like Pahlsson, Umberger, Vermette...character guys.

To be honest, I'm a big fan of how this team is being grown. I don't want high dollar, high image players. The 7 mill a season we spent on Fedorov got us no where. I wonder where Beauchemin would fit in our top 3 pairings today?

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 02:03 PM
  #50
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Jaxs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
There is alot of truth in what you say. We really don't have the cash or the prestige to court the big UFA's. If and when this team finally makes the SCF, I bet you all the top analysts draw comparisons between Columbus and the Carolina Hurricanes. We get there with a healthy mix of "build from within" talent(Nash, Brassard, Russell, Mason, Voracek) and value UFA's like Pahlsson, Umberger, Vermette...character guys.

To be honest, I'm a big fan of how this team is being grown. I don't want high dollar, high image players. The 7 mill a season we spent on Fedorov got us no where. I wonder where Beauchemin would fit in our top 3 pairings today?
Beauchemin would have been an important part of our top 4 imo, had he not been traded. Water under the bridge.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.