HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When will the CBJ make their next splash?

Old
08-18-2009, 05:02 PM
blahblah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Goalie View Post
[*]and this type of summer response is exactly why you only see the occasional visit or post from many on here during the off-season[/LIST]
I'll try and pretend to care why some people don't post during the offseason. I'm sure everyone enjoyed the lecture and will attempt to conform to create the proper environment for the safe return of these posters.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 05:06 PM
cbjpointman
It begins here

Quote:

We have a full month for things to shake out. There are too many teams up against the cap who will have to make a move for us to be so worked up this freakin early. reading this thread reminds me of two things:
  1. Many on here have the patience of my five year old
  2. and this type of summer response is exactly why you only see the occasional visit or post from many on here during the off-season
This. x2

cbjpointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 05:14 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I'll try and pretend to care why some people don't post during the offseason. I'm sure everyone enjoyed the lecture and will attempt to conform to create the proper environment for the safe return of these posters.

The thing is, we landed Huselius--he is a decent name and the last I checked he had a locker in the locker room. He chose us as we were not the only team trying to get him.

We weren't the only team going after Pahlsson either--there were at least 3 others.

Nash also chose to resign with us.

This silliness about 'well we just can't land the big time free agents' is baloney. We tried to get Redden, but he clearly wanted the bright lights, big city of NY and to be with a coach who he knew well. Had he signed in Minny (or another comparable city to Columbus) the point may have more weight.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 06:37 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
I think you're muddling your own arguments. You acknowledge that building a Cup contender is a process and yet you still seem to want something done RIGHT NOW.

The reason it takes several years to build/mold a Cup contender is because not everything that needs to be done can be done immediately.

Also, you want improved contributions from the young guys but you also want a proven #1 dman. Well, where is that player coming from and how are we going to get him? The Ducks landed Pronger, but had to give up guys like Smid and Lupul to do so. I don't think we have the depth to do that.

At this point in time, despite our need, I don't think the player we need is out there and if he is, we can't afford him.
I'm not muddling anything. Just because Rome wasn't built in a day doesn't mean you put off building it until tomorrow.

I disagree vis a vis depth. We have more wings than we know what to do with. To me, Nash and Umberger make up the core on the wings. We're stuck with Huselius until his contract is up unless his play drastically improves. Personally, I think Voracek is ideal trade bait. But, again, if its Filatov who doesn't fit into this team's chemistry, he certainly has trade value. Somebody like Mayorov still has the potential to play on our top 6 if we move one of those other guys. If need be, you can ALWAYS find a top 6 wing in free agency. As we should have learned by now, you can't often find a bona fide #1 defenseman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Certainly we do need a puck moving defenseman, but at this time in Jackets history it is prudent to allow the young players to develop into the studs we all know that they will be, and then make the big splash to put the proverbial icing on the cake.

How long that development takes is anyone's guess, but my money is on sooner rather than later.

Howson is building this team the right way. Through it's own system, then through free agency as needed, and trades that make sense and don't gut the team.
Is it prudent to risk a set back on the ice that puts the financial future of this team into question? Isn't it worth spending the money to build on last year's success and not only make the playoffs, but get out of the first round, to make a statement to the casual fans that this organization is building a winner? Do our chances of getting the player we need improve by continuing to wait?

Quote:
All that was said is the exact same thing that everyone has been saying for the last 3 years. It wasn't new. He would like you to think it was new and exciting or insightful. It was a hole defined by the community when Howson came on board. Howson has discussed it. I debated with Wolfie when he said Howson was happy with what he had and wasn't going to do anything this offseason. Anyone that payed any attention to the team knew it was an issue last year going into this offseason.

If it was that easy to get one, we'd already have one.
The bolded part makes me chuckle. Your personal vendetta against me is just hillarious. Do I think my observation is novel? Not really since I've been one of the people complaing about this for 3 years. And every year people downplay the issue telling me to wait until next year...when we again do nothing about the problem. Or someone tells me that Prospect X will eventually fill the role, as they did with Kris Russell and as they will likely now do with John Moore.

It isn't easy to get a #1 defenseman? I got two words for Scott Howson--try harder. For everyone's sake, I don't want to be having this same conversation next summer.

Quote:
WOW!!! I was not informed the season started next week. Quick make the trade now before we are left in the hole without a way to get out!!! The sky is falling the sky is falling!!!!

We have a full month for things to shake out. There are too many teams up against the cap who will have to make a move for us to be so worked up this freakin early. reading this thread reminds me of two things:
  1. Many on here have the patience of my five year old
  2. and this type of summer response is exactly why you only see the occasional visit or post from many on here during the off-season
Which is it, have we been rehashing this same issue for 3 years or do we have the patience of five year olds?

I defended Howson when some were ready to string him up much earlier than now. But my patience is wearing thin. I'm going to tell you right now, this idea that those teams that are against the cap want the junk they are being offered by Howson (seriously, Jason Chimera, a dime-a-dozen guy? Manny Malhotra is still unsigned, what does that tell you about Chimera's trade value?) is delusional. Those teams in question have bigger things in their sights than a mere salary dump.

Quote:
In the end people want to invent reasons why their favorite UFA's aren't brought in. Lack of cash, the player didn't want to come here, then hate the coach, etc. But at the end of the day, the organization could simply just not be interested. Your team or coach may not be ugly, he may simply want to play in the East or have a friend on another team.
The whole "not interested" thing to me is the worst excuse of all. No interest in Brian Campbell...but let's go after Wade Redden. I'm not Brian Campbell's biggest fan, but to me that one just didn't make sense. Unless there is a really good reason, this team should be interested in every bona fide #1 defenseman that comes available on the trade market or as a UFA.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 08:08 PM
psycloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
We're stuck with Huselius until his contract is up unless his play drastically improves.
We need our second leading scorer to drastically improve to be considered something more than 'we're stuck with him?' Sure, ideally he would have scored more - it would have been great to see him hit about 30% fewer posts and pot 30 goals in the process, but Huselius had ten more points than Umberger and had a better +/- by a difference of 11.

I know stats don't tell the whole story, but they do tell at least some of it. Juice wasn't that bad last year.

I do agree, though, it probably wouldn't hurt to turn a winger or two into an offensive defenseman if at all possible. It's been stated already but largely ignored, there's still a month until preseason opens, and there are several teams up against the cap. I'm not saying it WILL happen, but it most certainly COULD.

psycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 08:21 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
But, again, if its Filatov who doesn't fit into this team's chemistry, he certainly has trade value.
From Puckrakers:

-- Hitchcock expects Nikita Filatov to be in the mix battling for a roster spot. Filatov missed almost all of training camp last summer with a leg injury. The old coach's handling of Filatov is one of the most intriguing storylines of training camp.

Hitch said Filatov possesses the quick-strike abilities that remind him of a player such as Pavel Bure. Hitchcock recalls going stretches without noticing Bure in a game until the Russian Rocket had a scoring chance. "As soon as he got the chance, then everyone noticed him," Hitch said.

We certainly have no way of knowing if Nikita "fits" at this point, but it seems clear from this report that HCH will give him a chance to prove himself. Doesn't indicate that he is being given a spot, only a chance to win one. Pavel Bure...I like that thought!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycloud View Post
We need our second leading scorer to drastically improve to be considered something more than 'we're stuck with him?' Sure, ideally he would have scored more - it would have been great to see him hit about 30% fewer posts and pot 30 goals in the process, but Huselius had ten more points than Umberger and had a better +/- by a difference of 11.

I know stats don't tell the whole story, but they do tell at least some of it. Juice wasn't that bad last year.

I do agree, though, it probably wouldn't hurt to turn a winger or two into an offensive defenseman if at all possible. It's been stated already but largely ignored, there's still a month until preseason opens, and there are several teams up against the cap. I'm not saying it WILL happen, but it most certainly COULD.
For the most part Juice has been given a free pass from critical assessment over the summer, if there is a splash coming it would be him scoring timely goals. In time (perhaps next season) Filatov should make him expendable.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Is it prudent to risk a set back on the ice that puts the financial future of this team into question? Isn't it worth spending the money to build on last year's success and not only make the playoffs, but get out of the first round, to make a statement to the casual fans that this organization is building a winner? Do our chances of getting the player we need improve by continuing to wait?
Signing Nash to an 8 year contract did not send a message to casual fans?

Howson having confidence in his young players improving to make the team better doesn't send a positive message to them?

Having Brass back for (hopefully) a full season isn't an improvement over last season?

Pahlson isn't an improvement over Malhotra?

Howson has said that he is still looking for a deal for a puck moving defenseman, hasn't he?

What the hell do you want?

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
What the hell do you want?
He want to be a fan of a team that signs all the big stars. I hear the Rangers are looking for new fans.

He also wants to be a fan of a team where everybody wants to play. Since everybody wants to play in Toronto maybe he needs a Leafs Jersey.

Columbus is what Columbus is, and for now that's a small market town. It can be built up, but it will take time. But seriously, how many seats did Sergei Fedorov fill. How many Buckeye Nuts were convinced to come to Jackets games because the knew who he was?

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:55 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:

I disagree vis a vis depth. We have more wings than we know what to do with. To me, Nash and Umberger make up the core on the wings. We're stuck with Huselius until his contract is up unless his play drastically improves. Personally, I think Voracek is ideal trade bait. But, again, if its Filatov who doesn't fit into this team's chemistry, he certainly has trade value. Somebody like Mayorov still has the potential to play on our top 6 if we move one of those other guys. If need be, you can ALWAYS find a top 6 wing in free agency. As we should have learned by now, you can't often find a bona fide #1 defenseman.
Again we come back to what I said on the previous page -- we're not differing on philosophy, we're differing on who is expendable and who isn't. It isn't the forest, it's the trees.

Personally, I wouldn't move Juice. I'm not confident in the bonafide NHL scoring enough to move him. Maybe next year, but not now (which goes back to my great point about the most valuable assets not yet establishing themselves to a point that makes others expendable). I know I may be in the minority on that, but he's one of three guys on the team who I feel fairly certain is good for 20+ goals. For a team that has historically struggled to bury the puck, I'm reluctant to move that security.

As for Jake v. Filatov, I've said numerous times in the past year, I'd be willling to move one (Filatov is my preference) in the right deal. But the two realties that have emerged in the last few months are 1) Howson and Co. don't seem interested in moving either and 2) Even if they did, there doesn't seem to be a worthy return out there. Maybe observation #1 is leading directly to obesrvation #2, but we can't esacpe the apparent reality that neither Jake or Filatov are going anywhere.

Shout into the wind about managment being gun-shy or sitting on their hands or whatever you want to call it. One man's prudence is another's timidity. Time will tell who is right.

Mayorov could be a replacement for Voracek or Filatov. Or he could be Andrej Nedorost. I haven't seen enough from the kid to be confident enough about which way he's going to go.

We come back to the issue of process. I know you're fond of the Ducks. Well, in the season pre-Pronger trade:

Lupul went 28-25-53 (3rd on team in goals, 4th in points)
Kunitz 19-22-41
Getzlaf 14-25-39 (57 games)
Perry 13-12-25 (56 games)
Penner 4-3-7 (19 games)

Comparable CBJ players last year:
Voracek 9-29-38
Brassard 10-15-25 (31 games)
Filatov 4-0-4 (8 games)

I'm sticking to the young forwards because those are clearly more enticing in trades due to productivity and lower costs due to their early career deals.
You could argue that maybe the CBJ could part with Huselius or Umberger and maybe they could, but I'd counter that a guy like Juice, at this point in his career, with his contract, has a good portion less value than a guy like Lupul had at the time he was moved for Pronger.

To me, that's considerable more depth than the CBJ have. And that is where "the process" comes into play. Columbus not only needs to develop players to play, they need to develop players of value who are expendable (or who'll make other players of value expendable).

Last edited by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe: 08-18-2009 at 10:00 PM.
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 08:54 AM
Aging Goalie

Quote:
Your under the misconception I or they are looking for a safe return????

Come on blahblah, I have been around long enough for you to know better than that. Some of us just choose to have something worth posting about rather than just posting to say we posted.

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Aging Goalie

Quote:
Which is it, have we been rehashing this same issue for 3 years or do we have the patience of five year olds?

I defended Howson when some were ready to string him up much earlier than now. But my patience is wearing thin. I'm going to tell you right now, this idea that those teams that are against the cap want the junk they are being offered by Howson (seriously, Jason Chimera, a dime-a-dozen guy? Manny Malhotra is still unsigned, what does that tell you about Chimera's trade value?) is delusional. Those teams in question have bigger things in their sights than a mere salary dump.
For starters bargaining is something that is a huge part of my job. Place me in a position that the other person has no choice but to make a move and I will always come out on top. Howson has a pretty good record with the moves he has made and not made. Just because he doesn't go all gung ho and publicize his every move or just sign NAME guys doesn't mean he isn't doing what is right for the team. Show me a quote where he has said anything other than he is willing to go into TRAINING CAMP with this squad. The world knows what we are looking for and yes that takes away from our bargaining strength early. We will be on even ground just prior to the season starting though.

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 09:17 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Come on blahblah, I have been around long enough for you to know better than that. Some of us just choose to have something worth posting about rather than just posting to say we posted.
I only responded because I was surprised you posted those bullet points (specifically #2). Your points were well received until then and it seemed somewhat out of character.

Old
08-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
As I said I think that's oversimplistic. Seeing as we didn't make a FA offer in the last three years for Luongo, and frankly don't remember the quote. I'm not sure what that has to do with elite FA attempts that Howson has made (since that is what you bolded).

There are always factors when dealing with players in demand (meaning they are getting multiple offers). Some players have thought we have been a good fit, others have selected others for various reasons. Hash brought some additional insight into the Redden situation.

Howson spelled it out our situation well in his Q/A in the blog.

We certaintly aren't the same door mat we were in years past.
The Luongo comment is testimony to the lack of appeal Columbus has to elite players. The Redden situation last season is another indicator. Brad Richards, imo had no desire to come to a perrenial loser, whether we gave them Leclaire in the deal or not.

I don't think its over simplistic to say you need to build respect and prestige within the league before you are going to compete for top end players in free agency.

We are moving in the right direction and I like Howson's approach to evolving this team into a Conference top 8 team, year in year out. Nashville built from within first and had success before they were able to attract high end players through free agency like Kariya and Arnott. They made the playoffs in '04, added Kariya a year later, finished in the top 4 in the West in '06, then signed Arnott. We are on the right path, back to back playoff appearances will do alot for this team's image among the players.

So lets say Howson's strategic goal is to add an elite PP QB in the next 2 seasons. Next year's UFA crop for defenseman is pretty ugly, with Niedemeyer and Lidstrom being the only viable candidates, neither of which is going to be looking to join a new team at this time in their careers. The following off season(2011) however is very attractive with a large pool of UFA defensemen including some elites like Kaberle, Pitkanen, Chara, Markov.

If you want to have a shot at courting one of those players, you gotta make the playoffs the next 2 years and if at all possible crack the top 4 in the conference. Of course, you could always trade for a stud before 2011, but I shudder to think what the price in a trade would be for a guy like Kaberle or Chara. One thing I like about Howson is his unwillingness to sell off the farm in a trade for an established player that may or may not even want to be here.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 11:06 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
He want to be a fan of a team that signs all the big stars. I hear the Rangers are looking for new fans.

He also wants to be a fan of a team where everybody wants to play. Since everybody wants to play in Toronto maybe he needs a Leafs Jersey.

Columbus is what Columbus is, and for now that's a small market town. It can be built up, but it will take time. But seriously, how many seats did Sergei Fedorov fill. How many Buckeye Nuts were convinced to come to Jackets games because the knew who he was?
I want to be a fan of a team that signs all the big stars. When a Jay Bowmeester, a Chris Pronger or a Brad Richards comes on the market, I want him! Then I think about what the team would have to trade away to get them, or I think about how teams are built, and the rarity that "All Star teams" win championships. I still want them though.

I also want to be a fan of a team where everybody wants to play. Who doesn't want their team to be attractive? Then I remember even though I like living in Ohio, not everyone might feel that way.

How many seats did Sergei Fedorov fill? Some, I'm not sure how many non-hockey fans bought them, but surely everyone who read sports pages or Sports Illustrated in the 1990's had at least heard of Fedorov. At the time, I was impressed that DM went out and got a "superstar." I didn't realize at the time that it was a stupid trade. Oh, well. That's why we are posting on HF Boards instead of managing an NHL team.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 11:23 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
I want to be a fan of a team that signs all the big stars. When a Jay Bowmeester, a Chris Pronger or a Brad Richards comes on the market, I want him! Then I think about what the team would have to trade away to get them, or I think about how teams are built, and the rarity that "All Star teams" win championships. I still want them though.

I also want to be a fan of a team where everybody wants to play. Who doesn't want their team to be attractive? Then I remember even though I like living in Ohio, not everyone might feel that way.

How many seats did Sergei Fedorov fill? Some, I'm not sure how many non-hockey fans bought them, but surely everyone who read sports pages or Sports Illustrated in the 1990's had at least heard of Fedorov. At the time, I was impressed that DM went out and got a "superstar." I didn't realize at the time that it was a stupid trade. Oh, well. That's why we are posting on HF Boards instead of managing an NHL team.
Bear with me for a crude, but appropriate, anecdote. This discussion reminds me of a day in my youth when myself and a few friends were hanging out at a basketball court when a gorgeous young woman rides by on a bike.
Friend 1: "I'd love to be that bicycle seat."
Friend 2: "Yeah."
Friend 3: "I'd rather be the one ******* her."

My point? I'd rather just have a team that wins.

How that happens really doesn't matter to me as long as it does.

Old
08-19-2009, 11:25 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
The Luongo comment is testimony to the lack of appeal Columbus has to elite players. The Redden situation last season is another indicator. Brad Richards, imo had no desire to come to a perrenial loser, whether we gave them Leclaire in the deal or not.
You haven't provided a link to Luongo's comment, so there is no context or substance to comment on. However, whatever was said it was the testimony of one person. If he commented about other players opinions, that is hearsay and is extremely unreliable.

The Redden situation was expanded on and it would appear on that specuation that it is quite possible he wanted to go to NY, regardless of the other bidders.

The Richards comment has no basis to even draw that conclusion. Everyone was saying that Zherdev was bolt quickly to Russia when he became a UFA and he seems to be lingering in the hopes of staying in the NHL. Meaning. You have NO idea what he was thinking and to draw some conclusion out of that speculation seems to be feeding into some weird inferiority complex as a CBJ fan. You seem to be looking to invent reasons for this to be true.

You have provided nothing of substance to back up your opinions. So I have no choice but to discount it and move on.

As far as the rest of it, all things being equal any player will likely choose the elite team. Elite or otherwise. However things are rarely equal. The CBJ is hardly on the bottom end of the chance to win scale. Evidence of this has can be found with the Nash signing and JW wanting to return, as well as some of the players that have came to us the FA route. Nash re-signing, basically a UFA signing as there was little risk in waiting, was about as high profile as you can get. Especially what? Nine years?

Old
08-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
"We don't want to sign long term and then be traded to somewhere like, say, Columbus, and be stuck there."

-- Roberto Luongo's agent, Gilles Lupien, after informing the Florida Panthers that his client will sign only a one-year deal this summer.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ohn&id=2492201

Look towards the bottom of the page in the "You can Quote Me" box.

Quote:
You have provided nothing of substance to back up your opinions. So I have no choice but to discount it and move on.
Hillarious. Check out the last 2 signing by NYR and DET. Prospal just signed a one year rental for 1.1million, half of what we paid Williams last year. Bertuzzi signed in Detroit for 1.5 mill, you don't think Howson would have added one or both of those guys for those prices? It takes more than cash to sign most UFA's, and I've made that point. You can acknowledge or not, doesn't matter much to me either way. You came looking for this "debate".

Last edited by Nordique: 08-19-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old
08-19-2009, 11:50 AM
danielfloyd

I think a problem for some people is that they are still looking at the CBJ picking up a bona fide offensive defenseman for this season. This PPQB is non-existant amongst remaining UFAs, so it would have to be via trade, and as I believe Cap'n said, we're not going to get this top defenseman based on trades of Chimera or other 3rd or 4th liners. If we are really desperate for a defenseman with some offense, but we're only willing to give up these players, we'll have to settle for something a lot less than what we really wanted and hope that it can help us until Russell becomes the O-dman he is projected or John Moore can step up.

For the record, I don't think it would be selling out the future to trade one prospect and/or a pick or two to bring in a position that we truly need. If we could get an offensive dman for a glut winger, a prospect and a pick, I would say that we need to do it. I wouldn't want them to trade several prospects or picks, but if they could get something on a lower scale, I would be happy. We have several prospects, so it is not selling the future to trade one.

danielfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 11:59 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:

Hillarious. Check out the last 2 signing by NYR and DET. Prospal just signed a one year rental for 1.1million, half of what we paid Williams last year. Bertuzzi signed in Detroit for 1.5 mill, you don't think Howson would have added one or both of those guys for those prices? It takes more than cash to sign most UFA's, and I've made that point. You can acknowledge or not, doesn't matter much to me either way. You came looking for this "debate".
But are Williams and Prospal and Bertuzzi stars? Wasn't that the debate?

I have no doubt that if Howson wanted guys of that ilk and the budget allowed it (which I think is the pressing problem at this moment), then Columbus could get those guys. Heck, they have. Williams said he wanted to stay. Peca signed here twice. Modin resigned here. Foote and Commodore signed here. Huselius signed here.

For the record, I agree that I'm sure there are some players that have no desire to play in Columbus, regardless of price. But I feel that is more of a small, case-by-case issue. I don't agree with the overall "woe is us" sentiment.

Two keys to attracting talent:
1. Pay fair market (or above).
2. Win.

CBJ have shown willingness and ability to do #1 and are starting to accomplish #2. Nightlife, prestige, history, school systems, etc. will almost always take a back seat to these two factors with most players.

Old
08-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
But are Williams and Prospal and Bertuzzi stars? Wasn't that the debate?

I have no doubt that if Howson wanted guys of that ilk and the budget allowed it (which I think is the pressing problem at this moment), then Columbus could get those guys. Heck, they have. Williams said he wanted to stay. Peca signed here twice. Modin resigned here. Foote and Commodore signed here. Huselius signed here.

For the record, I agree that I'm sure there are some players that have no desire to play in Columbus, regardless of price. But I feel that is more of a small, case-by-case issue. I don't agree with the overall "woe is us" sentiment.

2. Win.

CBJ have shown willingness and ability to do #1 and are starting to accomplish #2. Nightlife, prestige, history, school systems, etc. will almost always take a back seat to these two factors with most players.
This. Just because we're getting well known for our collective inferiority complex doesn't mean we have to integrate it into our critical thinking.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 01:09 PM
blahblah

Quote:

You are seriously bringing up a quote from the end of 2006 and using that as evidence of... anything...? That was the lowpoint of CBJ history.

Quote:
Prospal? Bertuzzi?

You are talking about two pieces of damaged goods. None of which the CBJ would likely have had any interest in to begin with. That is correct. Little to none. I'd be willing to bet my salary for a year that Howson didn't contact the agent of either of them.

This reminds me of that "insider" info from a dear friend of ours that said the trade from Tampa to send Prospal here was agreed to and would done during this offseason.

Oh you made a point alright.

Old
08-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:

Prospal? Bertuzzi?

You are talking about two pieces of damaged goods. None of which the CBJ would likely have had any interest in to begin with. That is correct. Little to none. I'd be willing to bet my salary for a year that Howson didn't contact the agent of either of them.
Bertuzzi for 1.5 mil and Prospal for 1.1 mil are steals. Great signings. We pay Chimera 1.75, remember? Whether Howson was in the loop on these guys or not, the point is these are teams that attract players for less than market value. We aren't there yet.

Bertuzzi could be a top 6 forward in Detroit this season, but don't take my word for it, check the line projections the Detroit fans are putting up on their board.

Prospal is top 6, and might just skate on NYR's top line. 1.1 million for a top 6 skater. If they get 30 goals out of 1.1 million, Sather's going to look like a genius.

If Rich Winter(Prospal's agent) had called Howson and said you can have Vinny for 1.1 this season, he'd be in town right now. But the best thing about this debate is that we can sit back and watch these guys and let their play settle the argument for us.

Old
08-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:

2. Win.

Thats right, all the internal hype we hear about how Columbus is a great place to raise a family means very little to your average UFA.

Getting paid and winning, thats what attracts UFA's. We had some money last season and Howson made some smart additions, but we aren't getting the biggest bang for the buck primarily because noone is convinced that we are a winner yet.

We're on the right path, you don't hear my saying "Woe is us". We are building from within with great effect, and adding character players that we can afford while relying on a great coach to put the whole thing together. Howson is doing well with what he has to work with and with a little good fortune, we'll be the team attracting UFA's for discount prices one day.

Old
08-19-2009, 05:27 PM
hockeyman009

The Jackets are being smart, they are good and young. The only mistakes they have made in the past were from the outside. Look at Modin and Novotny, turned out to be garbage. They overpaid for Raffi Torres, now he will sit on the 3rd or 4th line. I hope the Jackets stay quiet for the rest of the offseason. Save your money until you have to sign Brassard, Voracek, Filatov, Mason and Russell when they turn into stars.

hockeyman009 is offline   Reply With Quote