HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

SJS and NSH goalie exchange

Old
08-16-2009, 12:47 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

vCash: 500
SJS and NSH goalie exchange

UPDATED (after post #5):

To SJS
G Rinne, Pekka, $0.547, UFA in 2010
D Hamhuis, Dan, $2, UFA in 2010

To NSH
G Nabokov, Evgeni, $5.375, UFA in 2010
D Vlasic, Marc-Edouard, $3.1 x 4 yrs

SJS creates almost $6 million in cap space for 2009-10. NSH gets one of the top young shutdown d-men for four years guaranteed. And if NSH's budget can't afford the hit, I'm sure SJS wouldn't be opposed to NSH dumping Dan Ellis' and his $1.75M contract on them as part of this deal.

__________________________________________________ _________

ORIGINAL:

To SJS
G Rinne, Pekka, $0.547, UFA in 2010

To NSH
G Nabokov, Evgeni, $5.375, UFA in 2010

Last edited by JawandaPuck: 08-16-2009 at 01:51 AM.
JawandaPuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 12:54 AM
bumperkisser

um since im a ducks fan... i would hope the sharks say no!! i like rinne

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 12:58 AM
Slimpikins

I don't know if that would work straight up but it is interesting. What I saw from Rinne last year I liked. I think it would depend on what Wilson plans to do with Nabby and how much he would think Rinne would cost to resign.

Also I hear that Nashville is cash strapped. They have the cap room but not the bankroll to add much more salary.

All in all I think it could be the basis for some interesting proposals.

Slimpikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 01:01 AM
digitaljohn
Arnold Palmer LITE

Nashville's GM has a hearty laugh and wonders if he's being prank called.

digitaljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 01:32 AM
serratedmuffin

I dont want to be harsh but this is not a solid proposal. A young goalie with upside who has proved to be solid so far (small sample size) for an goalie on the wrong side of 30 who isn't going to get better? Obviously goalies last longer but Nashville is building for the future and Rinne will be signed for cheaper and can grow with the team. No way does Nashville do this deal.

serratedmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 02:13 AM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

This is a terrible proposal for Nashville, David Poile loves Rinne and he stresses drafting and developing their own players. Rinne is going nowhere.

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 03:25 AM
Sanderson

I don't see why Nashville would have any interest in that. Rinne is a great goalie, so is Nabokov, but the Predators aren't exactly known for going after old and expensive soon-to-be UFAs. They aren't going to add that much salary either.

Apart from that, the Sharks have no reason to trade Vlasic in such a deal. It's not like Rinne is a proven upgrade over Nabokov. You don't deal a great young defenseman on a longterm contract for two players who will be UFAs after the season unless it's an extremely big upgrade.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 04:21 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Deal and deal. Let's start the petition to Doug Wilson ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Dr Quincy

Nashville isn't adding 6 million to their payroll.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Soundgarden

Nashville can't sign Nabby for more then 4.5 mil. Not happening.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:40 AM
kivaerijo

dont think we (nashville) do it even if we could afford it. who is in goal for us next season? and i think that hamhuis can/will be signed for about the same contract as vlasic

think we will stick with what we have. and picking up a goalie that tries to clothes line tootoo constantly i dont think would go over well either

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:46 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 552
Why would you trade Rinne right now at his contract? Makes absolutely no sense.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)

Last edited by GKJ: 08-16-2009 at 10:13 AM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
This is... no. While I wouldn't mind seeing it happen seeing as though it benefits a team I like at the expense of a team I'm less fond of, I like to keep my hopes realistic.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:20 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Nashville has waited for three years for Rinne to take over the starting job, Poile and Trotz have constantly pimped him in the media during that time, and you think they would up and trade him to take on a goaltender who, while very good in his own right, costs nearly ten times as much money (that the team absolutely could not afford) despite having the same contract length as Rinne? Art thou insaneth?

The addition of Vlasic and Hamhuis does nothing to change the fact that this is an absolutely ludicrous proposal. My answer is no, it will always be no, and I suspect Poile's answer is very similar.

Last edited by Majik1987: 08-16-2009 at 10:54 PM. Reason: flaming
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Predsrule

pplneed to stop thinking Nashville can take sal dumps... its NOT a case of hey thay have 15mill left on the cap...
What it really is "hey we have around 2-mill left unless we want to lose money"

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 02:23 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Please everyone, just stop trying to make trades with Nashville. Just stop. It's horrible.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 09:40 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Lets look into our Crystal Ball for some perspective -
Dec 31, 2009: Rinne is having an excellent year with a SV% above .925 on a mediocre team.
Jan 1, 2010: A Finnish paper comes to town to do a feature on Rinne. He is asked if he would ever consider coming back to Finland. Rinne replies, "perhaps later in my career, but right now I enjoy playing in the NHL." The reporter asks, "so you'll be here in Nashville for a long time." Rinne replies, "Nashville or somewhere in the NHL...we'll see."
April 30, 2010: Rinne concludes another terrific season with the Preds, despite the team finishing out of the playoffs again. Poille is quoted as saying, "Re-signing Rinne is still a priority for us."
July 1, 2010: Rinne signs a $5.5MM per, 3 year deal with the St Louis Blues. The Preds ironically sign Chris Mason to a $1.5MM, one year deal and anxiously await the emmergence of Dekanich and Pickard. Nashville also lost UFA Hamhuis, who finally got the big pay day he's been seeking his enitre career. He signed with hometown team Vancouver for $4MM per.

From that perspective, this proposal's value starts to feel a whole lot different. I presume you won't be laughing if things play out this way -- am I right?

Last edited by Majik1987: 08-16-2009 at 10:54 PM. Reason: qdp
Old
08-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Webersmashpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Dec 31, 2009: Rinne is having an excellent year with a SV% above .925 on a mediocre team.
Jan 1, 2010: A Finnish paper comes to town to do a feature on Rinne. He is asked if he would ever consider coming back to Finland. Rinne replies, "perhaps later in my career, but right now I enjoy playing in the NHL." The reporter asks, "so you'll be here in Nashville for a long time." Rinne replies, "Nashville or somewhere in the NHL...we'll see."
April 30, 2010: Rinne concludes another terrific season with the Preds, despite the team finishing out of the playoffs again. Poille is quoted as saying, "Re-signing Rinne is still a priority for us."
July 1, 2010: Rinne signs a $5.5MM per, 3 year deal with the St Louis Blues. The Preds ironically sign Chris Mason to a $1.5MM, one year deal and anxiously await the emmergence of Dekanich and Pickard. Nashville also lost UFA Hamhuis, who finally got the big pay day he's been seeking his enitre career. He signed with hometown team Vancouver for $4MM per.

From that perspective, this proposal's value starts to feel a whole lot different. I presume you won't be laughing if things play out this way -- am I right?

Well if we would miss him so much why would we trade Rinne? Its also insane to believe Rinne signs a 5.5 million deal unless he wins the Vezina and leads Nashville deep in the playoffs. So the money that would go to Nabokov this year would probably go to Rinne for the next 2 years. The Hamhuis for Vlasic is pretty much a wash except Hamhuis is cheaper now and a UFA at the end of the season, but will probably sign for around the 3.1 that Vlasic is. From that perspective the value is a lot different, we are getting ripped off badly.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

Quote:
Correct so far...

Quote:
NO WAY.

Quote:
You are wrong. The predator will no doubt re-sign Rinne and coninue to build from within.

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 12:24 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Well if we would miss him so much why would we trade Rinne? Its also insane to believe Rinne signs a 5.5 million deal unless he wins the Vezina and leads Nashville deep in the playoffs. So the money that would go to Nabokov this year would probably go to Rinne for the next 2 years.
Pending UFA Tim Thomas signed to a 4 year, $5MM per deal (during the 08-09 season, after only 1.5 good seasons under his belt, and before winning Vezina but losing out in the first round). Rinne, if he plays really well again this season, would also have two good years before becoming a pending UFA. You don't think Rinne's agent is using the same point of reference?

Quote:
The Hamhuis for Vlasic is pretty much a wash except Hamhuis is cheaper now and a UFA at the end of the season, but will probably sign for around the 3.1 that Vlasic is.
Hamhuis will cost NSH in the neighborhood of $4MM per. Vlasic's contract is not comparable as he was a RFA when he signed his deal. Comparable are:
-Rob Scuderi, signed to a $3.4MM per as a UFA this summer
-Mike Komisarek signed to a $4.5MM per as a UFA this summer

Quote:
From that perspective the value is a lot different, we are getting ripped off badly.
It's really not when you put the cup down and step back from the Pred's kool-aid barrel.

Old
08-17-2009, 12:26 AM
5H4RK5

Merry Xmas and a happy new year.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 12:31 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckle View Post
You are wrong. The predator will no doubt re-sign Rinne and coninue to build from within.
I didn't say the Preds wouldn't re-sigin him. I layed out a realistic scenario whereby they may not. And that was in order to establish the correct value of the players involved in this proposal.

Please re-read the post(s) before claiming to be the Oracle of Dixie.

Old
08-17-2009, 12:58 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
I didn't say the Preds wouldn't re-sigin him. I layed out a realistic scenario whereby they may not. And that was in order to establish the correct value of the players involved in this proposal.

Please re-read the post(s) before claiming to be the Oracle of Dixie.
To get Nabakov, you would have to give up a LOT more than Hamhuis. You would probably have to trade over Suter or Weber instead of him. Also, I think you might have a bigger chance of getting stuck by lightning than this .

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 01:06 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
To get Nabakov, you would have to give up a LOT more than Hamhuis. You would probably have to trade over Suter or Weber instead of him. Also, I think you might have a bigger chance of getting stuck by lightning than this .

No need to get carried away. Nabby is a pending UFA in case you forgot. Suter has 3 yrs before becoming a UFA and Weber has 2 yrs but will remain an RFA.

Old
08-17-2009, 01:11 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
No need to get carried away. Nabby is a pending UFA in case you forgot. Suter has 3 yrs before becoming a UFA and Weber has 2 yrs but will remain an RFA.
I feel that Nabakov is more of a prize than Hamhuis and Rinne together. That's why I'm saying you would have to give a real future player to get a known and proven player. Just like the trade with Lupul and Sbisa to get Pronger. Sbisa has been an awesome prospect as a d-man. Offensive, aggressive edge, and has everything to prove, which was the big plus for the Ducks in the trade.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote