HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Lifting/training during the season

Old
08-16-2009, 05:38 PM
koh19

vCash: 500
Lifting/training during the season

I'm soon going to have 3 practices and 1 game per week. Would it be profitable to continue lifting/training during the season. I'm mainly talking lifting here because normally you work all of the other stuff (speed, cardio, quickness) on the ice.

I figured that you could improve your squat, bench, military press if you continue training during the season. I don't think it would hinder your on ice abilities, it'll simply make you stronger.

What do you guys think? Pros/cons?

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 08:38 PM
CaptKirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
I'm soon going to have 3 practices and 1 game per week. Would it be profitable to continue lifting/training during the season. I'm mainly talking lifting here because normally you work all of the other stuff (speed, cardio, quickness) on the ice.

I figured that you could improve your squat, bench, military press if you continue training during the season. I don't think it would hinder your on ice abilities, it'll simply make you stronger.

Most guys tend to just lift enough to maintain strength over the course of a season and try to increase strength with heavy training during the off season.

CaptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 09:26 AM
noobman

Quote:

You should be lifting 2x per week during the season. Your goal should be to maintain whatever advances you've made during the offseason as opposed to trying to make further advances. This doesn't mean that you can't (or won't) increase your strength mid-season... it just means that it shouldn't be your primary focus. Resistance training more than 2x a week with your schedule might not leave adequate recovery time.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 09:46 AM
AngryBoss

Quote:

Try to continue to lift throughout the season but listen closely to what your body tells you.

If it's banged up and sore, take it easy. Rest is actually the most important thing you can do for your body in any workout.

Doing HST during the season is great too. It's a full body workout 3x a week, but you could easily get away with only doing it twice to maintain.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 02:20 PM
mm6492

Keep lifting but don't over do it. Try to MAINTAIN, NOT GAIN.

Listen to ur body. If your sore, take a day off. If you feel great, go lift

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 07:39 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
I use to just lift for muscle endurance during the season. Low weight, high reps. Obviously dont go nuts on the reps or sets. I use to also up Whey intake during the season too. I never eat breakfast so one for breakfast, after practice/game, after workout, before bed. Some people this doesnt work well for, others it does. Dont go over 150 g a day though. Once again, thats what worked for me so....

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Lario Melieux*

Just do your heavy lifting on the day after your games. Your muscles should heal in the 6 days until your next game.

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote