HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Alex Burrows for Christian Ehrhoff

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-16-2009, 02:16 PM
  #51
Ninja Hertl
formerly sharkohol
 
Ninja Hertl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Yay
Country: United States
Posts: 5,036
vCash: 500
Wow. Ehrhoff might be the most underrated player on these boards. 75 percent of posters probably still spell his name wrong.

Very good skater, hard shot which he has made more accurate, can break into the zone better than anyone on the sharks second to Boyle, worked on his defensive game two seasons ago and improved dramatically. I used to think Ehrhoff wasn't special early on in his career, but now he's a significant cog in a "stacked" pres trophy winning team. He's one of those players who has worked on his game as a young player and it shows.

A bum? Watch more hockey and get back to me.

Ninja Hertl is offline  
Old
08-16-2009, 02:24 PM
  #52
Vote for Rory
Registered User
 
Vote for Rory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,055
vCash: 500
Burrows is Vancouver's golden boy right now, he won't be traded.

Vote for Rory is offline  
Old
08-16-2009, 02:25 PM
  #53
Tealblood
Registered User
 
Tealblood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Northern California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talentless Practise View Post
It's just that they see Ehrhoff getting 40 points behind a stacked offense doesn't make him any better than his normal 25-point contributions. On top of that they see he's suspect defensively, unphysical and unable to hande pressure.

You're trying to sell a top pairing puckmover, the rest of us see a #4 puckmover with holes to his game
Unphysical?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvmF4EkB6q8

While we had a "stacked" offense, we also had a stacked defense. Ehrhoff would be a solid top pairing puckmover, with an edgyness that most people on here ignore, while they focus on his occasional mishaps.

You only notice when a dman like ehrhoff screws up. The majority of the season(remember that we had just switched to an offense-first style), he had shown great improvement on both sides of the rink, showing solid skating, a great shot(albeit having problems hitting the net at times), a solid pokecheck, and a willingness to use his smaller sized body.

In the short term, i'd rather keep Ehrhoff, long term of course-Vlasic will round out as a solid guy entering his prime so I'd rather not lose yet another young guy.

Tealblood is offline  
Old
08-16-2009, 02:28 PM
  #54
DG
Registered User
 
DG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,716
vCash: 500
Burrows is getting pretty overrated in this thread. He's good, and he has a nice contract, but we'll see if his one year of excellent numbers is a product of those around him or what he's really capable of over his career.

DG is offline  
Old
08-16-2009, 02:29 PM
  #55
Theron
#beauty
 
Theron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,708
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Theron Send a message via AIM to Theron Send a message via MSN to Theron Send a message via Yahoo to Theron Send a message via Skype™ to Theron
Burrows had a career year last year.. with that said I'd take Ehrhoff any day...

Burrows plays with tons of heart and I understand why Canuck fans dont want to trade him.. but some of you are greatly underating Ehrhoff... you gotta give to get...your not gonna get a good PM dman for Hanson + White + pick ;p

Theron is offline  
Old
08-16-2009, 02:33 PM
  #56
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Horvat2Virtanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,602
vCash: 50
I say no from a canucks POV Burrows is just to valuable to the canucks organization he brings every thing to the table if we were to do this trade are top 6 would be very soft
Ehrhoff is a good puck moving defenceman that had a great year last year but i say no.

Horvat2Virtanen is offline  
Old
08-16-2009, 02:42 PM
  #57
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52
 
Respect Your Edler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Burrows is getting pretty overrated in this thread. He's good, and he has a nice contract, but we'll see if his one year of excellent numbers is a product of those around him or what he's really capable of over his career.
He was one of our top players last year, both when he played on the shutdown line with Kesler as well as when he was the Sedin's winger. He allowed them to do alot of things they couldn't do before and scored at an insane pace with them. Even if he slows down, I still expect him to put over 25g and 45p while second only to Kesler defensively.

Plus, on top of all that, the guy signed a 2 million contract with Van despite the fact that he had career highs and was a pending UFA. The guy wants to be here and took a discount because he wants the team to win. He's a guy who does alot of other things besides score big goals who has been loyal to the team. Untouchable in my opinion.

Respect Your Edler is offline  
Old
08-16-2009, 02:44 PM
  #58
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Horvat2Virtanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,602
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
He was one of our top players last year, both when he played on the shutdown line with Kesler as well as when he was the Sedin's winger. He allowed them to do alot of things they couldn't do before and scored at an insane pace with them. Even if he slows down, I still expect him to put over 25g and 45p while second only to Kesler defensively.

Plus, on top of all that, the guy signed a 2 million contract with Van despite the fact that he had career highs and was a pending UFA. The guy wants to be here and took a discount because he wants the team to win. He's a guy who does alot of other things besides score big goals who has been loyal to the team. Untouchable in my opinion.
Agree with every thing you posted

Horvat2Virtanen is offline  
Old
08-16-2009, 02:55 PM
  #59
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail
 
Dominic Roussel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ATX
Country: United States
Posts: 4,692
vCash: 1951
No way San Jose would do this. Ehrhoff is underrated and Burrows has had one good season and is now untouchable.

If that's the case then Ott must be a future hall of famer because he got 6 less points in 18 less games on a worse team last season.

Dominic Roussel is offline  
Old
08-16-2009, 03:04 PM
  #60
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeShizzle View Post
If that's the case then Ott must be a future hall of famer because he got 6 less points in 18 less games on a worse team last season.
I would argue that Ott is a guy that the Stars can't afford to move.

And your point of getting 6 less points in 18 less games - he also had pretty much 2nd unit power play time (2 minutes/44 seconds a game vs *UNDER* 30 seconds a game for Burrows). Total ES+PP icetime per game for Ott=16.5 minutes Total ES+PP icetime per game for Burrows=14 minutes

Barney Gumble is offline  
Old
08-16-2009, 03:06 PM
  #61
tarlinian
Registered User
 
tarlinian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pasadena, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,162
vCash: 500
I don't understand the willingness some people have for the Sharks to give away Ehrhoff. Other than Boyle, he's the only dman who can actually move the puck up the ice. There really is no point to trading him unless someone's significantly overpaying.

For the Canucks, trading Burrows would be like the Sharks trading Pavelski, something that's pretty much inconceivable from all angles.

tarlinian is offline  
Old
08-16-2009, 03:09 PM
  #62
DG
Registered User
 
DG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
He was one of our top players last year, both when he played on the shutdown line with Kesler as well as when he was the Sedin's winger. He allowed them to do alot of things they couldn't do before and scored at an insane pace with them. Even if he slows down, I still expect him to put over 25g and 45p while second only to Kesler defensively.

Plus, on top of all that, the guy signed a 2 million contract with Van despite the fact that he had career highs and was a pending UFA. The guy wants to be here and took a discount because he wants the team to win. He's a guy who does alot of other things besides score big goals who has been loyal to the team. Untouchable in my opinion.
I don't necessarily disagree. But let's see him prove it before we ordain him "untouchable". I agree it's nice to see players take a bit less to play somewhere they like, but let's see him put up 20-25 goals a couple more times.

And again, I'm not saying he won't. I just feel like people are treating him like something he's not - for example, there are still 5 or 6 players on the Canucks that are better than him and that I would rather have.

(Before someone gives me the "OH YEAH WHO")
- Luongo
- H. Sedin
- D. Sedin
- Mitchell
- Bieksa
- Edler
- Kesler

DG is offline  
Old
08-16-2009, 03:13 PM
  #63
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
And again, I'm not saying he won't. I just feel like people are treating him like something he's not - for example, there are still 5 or 6 players on the Canucks that are better than him and that I would rather have.
I would argue that there's actually more than 5 or 6 players on the Canucks that other teams would rather have. Burrows value to the Canucks is the value of his contract. With the Sedin's getting $6.1 million each and Luongo (who's currently making $6.5 million) set to making north of $7 million - it's important that they have "cheap contracts" (that aren't bottom six guys). Again, the Canucks prospect system is pretty shallow - and it's not a "slam dunk" the few decent ones they have are going to make it in the NHL.

It's no different that the trade proposals for Streit. Won't happen. No way the Islanders deal him because he's more valuable to them because of his contract.

Barney Gumble is offline  
Old
08-16-2009, 04:05 PM
  #64
Defeatist*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,350
vCash: 500
Vancouver doesn't want Errorhoff

Defeatist* is offline  
Old
08-16-2009, 04:15 PM
  #65
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 12,724
vCash: 500
I like Burrows and all, but I have a feeling that his value right now is only high because he's the new 3rd Sedin (ie. last season's Anson Carter/Taylor Pyatt/Jan Bulis/Steve Bernier/etc).

He's a good player, no doubt, but I can't see him repeating those numbers again in his career, especially if he doesn't play with the Sedins.

WJG is offline  
Old
08-16-2009, 04:18 PM
  #66
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!
 
DuckEatinShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Jose
Posts: 5,368
vCash: 50
I'm a Sharks fan and I dont really like Ehrhoff because he makes turns the puck over too many times. However he's still worth more than Burrows.

Ehrhoff does have a role on this team. He's by far our #2 puck-mover and on a reasonable contract. He simply wont be traded away unless its for an upgrade.

As for the other puckmovers, Boyle and Vlasic are the most untradeable Dmen on our team. Sorry, but unless you wanna overpay for Joslin, look elsewhere

DuckEatinShark is offline  
Old
08-16-2009, 04:34 PM
  #67
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Horvat2Virtanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,602
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
I like Burrows and all, but I have a feeling that his value right now is only high because he's the new 3rd Sedin (ie. last season's Anson Carter/Taylor Pyatt/Jan Bulis/Steve Bernier/etc).

He's a good player, no doubt, but I can't see him repeating those numbers again in his career, especially if he doesn't play with the Sedins.
Burrows was having a career year before he played with the Sedins

Horvat2Virtanen is offline  
Old
08-16-2009, 04:41 PM
  #68
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Horvat2Virtanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,602
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark View Post
I'm a Sharks fan and I dont really like Ehrhoff because he makes turns the puck over too many times. However he's still worth more than Burrows.

Ehrhoff does have a role on this team. He's by far our #2 puck-mover and on a reasonable contract. He simply wont be traded away unless its for an upgrade.

As for the other puckmovers, Boyle and Vlasic are the most untradeable Dmen on our team. Sorry, but unless you wanna overpay for Joslin, look elsewhere
Burrows brings everything to the table he can play in all situation those players are hard to find Ehrhoff is a good defenceman who had a solid year but his value is not more than Burrows

Horvat2Virtanen is offline  
Old
08-16-2009, 04:41 PM
  #69
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
I like Burrows and all, but I have a feeling that his value right now is only high because he's the new 3rd Sedin (ie. last season's Anson Carter/Taylor Pyatt/Jan Bulis/Steve Bernier/etc).

He's a good player, no doubt, but I can't see him repeating those numbers again in his career, especially if he doesn't play with the Sedins.
I agree that Burrows just came off a career year, and I also wouldn't expect him to repeat it... IMO Samuelsson was signed to play with the Sedins next year, and Burrows will move down the depth chart, and his offense will also decrease.

I think Burrows is capable of being a consistent 20-20 guy for the Canucks though, who's one of the team's best defensive forwards and plays a key role on the PK, and in the locker room.... an asset like that at $2mill/yr is still too valuable a player to move.

If Burrows repeats what he did last year, he's a steal at $2mill/yr... but even if his offense drops, with everything else he brings to the table he's still very valuable at $2mill/yr.

That's the difference between him and former "3rd Sedins" ... he was one of the team's most valuable players before he played a minute on the Sedin line last season. And when he moved to that line, he created a lot on his own as well - his style of play and impact on the ice didn't change much - but the offense went up because he was playing with a couple of PPG players for the first time in his career.

I expect Burrows to be reunited with Kesler next year though.

NFITO is online now  
Old
08-16-2009, 04:46 PM
  #70
SoCalSharkzFan
Registered User
 
SoCalSharkzFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The True Man's World
Country: United States
Posts: 959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Yea, because Ehrhoff has been lighting the league on fire for years...right?

And definite no to Cheechoo for Bieksa.
He's been "lighting the league on fire" as you would call it, for more years than Burrows.

I was making a point with Cheechoo for Bieksa, that's basically what Burrows for Ehrhoff equals... Except Cheechoo has had a much better career than Burrows. Much larger than the gap between Ehrhoff & Bieksa.

Burrows scored 28 goals huh? Cheechoo did that on the third line with Mike Ricci & SCOTT Thornton. Fan favorite, high energy, whatever you like to call it in attempt to increase their value.

SoCalSharkzFan is offline  
Old
08-16-2009, 04:53 PM
  #71
mgeise
Registered User
 
mgeise's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
I like Ehrhoff more than many, but I still think San Jose would do this deal. San Jose is looking to move a defenseman, and Burrows' value is high coming off this past year. Vancouver isn't moving Burrows, though, unless he completely falls off after signing his extension. Also, teams will be skeptical about Burrows being able to keep up this kind of production. I see him as more of a 20 goal/year 2nd line winger, though he could prove me wrong and continue to put up bigger numbers.

mgeise is offline  
Old
08-16-2009, 04:54 PM
  #72
SoCalSharkzFan
Registered User
 
SoCalSharkzFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The True Man's World
Country: United States
Posts: 959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bieksa 3 View Post

Burrows brings everything to the table he can play in all situation those players are hard to find Ehrhoff is a good defenceman who had a solid year but his value is not more than Burrows
A 28 year old had a career year of 51 points and we're supposed to be impressed? It was a huge jump too... Seems like he can't stay out of the penalty box either. You guys are way overrating this guy. Ehrhoff is younger, he's a defenseman, and he puts out nearly the same offensive output as Burrows dows. He has also had more than one good year.

Spin it whatever way you'd like, but a solid top 4 defenseman is worth more than a 3rd liner. As I said, we'll take Bieksa for Cheechoo if that's the way you want to play it.

SoCalSharkzFan is offline  
Old
08-16-2009, 04:59 PM
  #73
keslehr*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,045
vCash: 500
Right. If Ehrhoff is so good, why hasn't anyone shown support for this proposal? He's not worth anything close to Burrows. Also, what kind of a third liner puts up 28 goals? Sounds like a solid top 6 to me.

keslehr* is offline  
Old
08-16-2009, 05:02 PM
  #74
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Horvat2Virtanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,602
vCash: 50
[QUOTE=Linkteen;20786491]Right. If Ehrhoff is so good, why hasn't anyone shown support for this proposal? He's not worth anything close to Burrows. Also, what kind of a third liner puts up 28 goals? Sounds like a solid top 6 to me.[/QUOT

Agree

Horvat2Virtanen is offline  
Old
08-16-2009, 05:04 PM
  #75
SoCalSharkzFan
Registered User
 
SoCalSharkzFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The True Man's World
Country: United States
Posts: 959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkteen View Post
Right. If Ehrhoff is so good, why hasn't anyone shown support for this proposal? He's not worth anything close to Burrows. Also, what kind of a third liner puts up 28 goals? Sounds like a solid top 6 to me.
We're not showing support because we get hosed in this proposal. Sharks fans say it's not good for them, Canucks fans say it's not good for them... this is basic stuff.

Cheechoo scored 28 goals on the third line before Thornton came to town.

He'd be a 3rd liner on San Jose.

Marleau/Thornton/Setoguchi
Michalek/Pavelski/Clowe

Sorry, he doesn't crack the top 6.

SoCalSharkzFan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.