HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Alex Burrows for Christian Ehrhoff

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2009, 12:00 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

vCash: 500
lol a Burrows proposal.

08-17-2009, 12:03 AM
Defeatist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcspence View Post
How's his breakout pass from the rehab room?
About as effective as Ehrhoff's defensive coverage

Old
08-17-2009, 12:04 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Who would you think the Canucks would realistically be targeting as a puck-moving d-man?
Unfortunately, I don't think there is anybody left or who is likely available that provides enough marginal improvement to be worth creating a significant (roster or cap) hole for.

Quote:
If Ehrhoff's recent playoff performances were typical of the Sharks, I dare say their results would be a lot less disappointing.
Is that a common perception amongst SJ fans? Good to know if so, will file away for future reference.

Old
08-17-2009, 12:05 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
This is not about Erhoff being a quality d-man or not - not dissing the guy - it's about Erhoff filling a pressing need on the Canucks roster. I don't see that he does, ergo, the trade proposal makes little sense to me.

Now if he performed in the playoffs instead of getting shut out for three straight seasons, perhaps my perception would be different. That he plays for the current NHL Choke Champion also doesn't help, as it's difficult to tell if he's part of the problem or an innocent bystander.
This post shows that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. If you have to ask such a question then you shouldn't be saying with any sort of conviction whether or not he fills a need because you show no clue about his play. You base everything off of the stats. There's no context. There's no looking at who he was paired with and who his forwards were.

The bottom line is that your perception is wrong, misinformed, and ignorant. So just stop talking about him and whether or not he'd fill a need when you basically admit you have no clue about the player in question.

Old
08-17-2009, 12:16 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
You base everything off of the stats.
No, I base it on understanding the Canucks need goes beyond a simplistic "puck moving defenseman", and not seeing any evidence that Erhoff is the right kind of player. Under other circumstances, I'm sure he'd be a fine fit - but not right now.

Really don't understand your anger and outlashing - this should make you happy - you seem to like the guy a lot, and I want you to keep him.

Old
08-17-2009, 12:18 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
Any day? So you'd take Jeff Finger over Steven Stamkos? Mattias Ohlund over Evgeni Malkin?
Yeah, because those are perfect examples. The top scoring forward in the world is a 2nd liner just because he plays on the 2nd line? Does that make Burrows a 1st liner then?

And Finger a top 4 defenseman?

Old
08-17-2009, 12:21 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
No, I base it on understanding the Canucks need goes beyond a simplistic "puck moving defenseman", and not seeing any evidence that Erhoff is the right kind of player. Under other circumstances, I'm sure he'd be a fine fit - but not right now.

Really don't understand your anger and outlashing - this should make you happy - you seem to like the guy a lot, and I want you to keep him.
I want people to be more informed instead of spouting off baseless opinions on things they know nothing about.

Old
08-17-2009, 12:32 AM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

Someone needs to delete this thread. Burrows is going no where.

Old
08-17-2009, 12:34 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
The top scoring forward in the world is a 2nd liner just because he plays on the 2nd line? Does that make Burrows a 1st liner then?

If Malkin currently plays on the 2nd line, Burrows plays on the 1st line and Finger in the top 4... Yes, because you know, that's what it means.

Old
08-17-2009, 12:35 AM
Vaasa

Quote:
Now if he performed in the playoffs instead of getting shut out for three straight seasons, perhaps my perception would be different. That he plays for the current NHL Choke Champion also doesn't help, as it's difficult to tell if he's part of the problem or an innocent bystander.
I have absolutely no desire to trade Ehrhoff. But just for some info in this last playoffs, Ehrhoff:

1) Led the entire team in ice time. Playing nearly 10 minutes more than Boyle, the player with the next most time.

2) Led the entire team in even-strength ice time. Playing 13 more minutes than the next player (Vlasic).

3) Led the entire team in short-handed time by over a minute. The guy with the next-most minutes was Murray, his regular PK partner.

4) And for those who think he's only a PP guy, he was 8th in PP time. Despite that lack, the PP was significantly better with him on it throughout the season.

5) Had the 3rd most hits of all defensemen (behind only Murray and Lukowich), and 9th most on the team.

6) Had the 2nd most blocked shots on the team. Only 1 behind Blake who was the leader.

7) Was 2nd on the team in shots on goal. Behind only Blake, who is the primary trigger-man on the PP. (and despite #4 above).

8) Despite 1, 2, and 3 above, only took a single penalty in the entire playoff series (a minor).

9) He and Murray virtually shut down the Selanne line. With Erhoff picking up a -1 on a shot by Ebbett. Ehrhoff was covering Selanne who was shut down.

10) In the last 2 games the Ehrhoff-Murray pairing was put against the Getzlaf line and did a better job of keeping them off the score sheet than any of other pairs put against that line. During those 2 games, Ehrhoff still only went -1 (again, depsite 1, 2, and 3 above).

-----------
- Ehrhoff was one of the few players to really raise their games in the playoffs this season.

- Last playoffs the team actually brought him back from injury early, and despite playing with a half-healed ankle, he was still the best defenseman on the team. And again raised his game.

Ehrhoff still has consistency issues, although they have been getting fewer and fewer every year. But the fact is that he can do everything a defenseman should do, and do it well. He's not the absolute best at any category by a long shot, but the fact that he does EVERYTHING well means he gets tons of ice time and is trusted by the coaching staff. This is a guy who could easily play 25+ minutes a night (and has). If he can tame his shot down to where it was to start this last season a regular basis, he would be absolutely lethal on the point. But even without that, you simply cannot find a player who brings everything Ehrhoff does in one package for his price.

All that makes him untradable as far as I'm concerned.

Old
08-17-2009, 12:36 AM
ToursLepantoVienna

Quote:
I want people to be more informed instead of spouting off baseless opinions on things they know nothing about.
It's a given that one team's fanbase will be less informed about another's players, and that their opinions will be based on stats more than personal observation. I'm still interested in their impressions of Sharks players.

Old
08-17-2009, 12:38 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
All that makes him untradable as far as I'm concerned.
San Jose fans like Ehrhoff. Vancouver fans like Burrows.

/endthread.

Old
08-17-2009, 12:52 AM
ToursLepantoVienna

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
San Jose fans like Ehrhoff. Vancouver fans like Burrows.

/endthread.
That's the way it appears. I'm a big fan of both players, and I'm not at all surprised the respective fanbases have been so adamant about the talents of each.

I still think they're comparable value and fill needs for both teams.

Old
08-17-2009, 01:10 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
That's the way it appears. I'm a big fan of both players, and I'm not at all surprised the respective fanbases have been so adamant about the talents of each.

I still think they're comparable value and fill needs for both teams.
From a purely hockey standpoint, I agree... However I will never say yes to the prospect of trading Burrows.

Old
08-17-2009, 01:16 AM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milvesof Brown View Post
Ehrhoff? Not a chance. I don't like his game at all. Does very little for the team other than pick up points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talentless Practise View Post
It's just that they see Ehrhoff getting 40 points behind a stacked offense doesn't make him any better than his normal 25-point contributions. On top of that they see he's suspect defensively, unphysical and unable to hande pressure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkteen View Post
Worst deal ever. Burrows is a fan favourite in Vancouver, Ehrhoff is a bum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imanania View Post
On the Canucks, Ehrhoff would probably be pushed back to the 2nd or 3rd pairing because he's not ready...He's nothing special.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defeatist View Post
Vancouver doesn't want Errorhoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkteen View Post
Right. If Ehrhoff is so good, why hasn't anyone shown support for this proposal? He's not worth anything close to Burrows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelator 786 View Post
Ehrhoff is terrible in his own zone. No thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
Again, I don't think people are saying Ehrhoff is a bad player, but Burrows means alot to Vancouver, even without factoring in the 28 goals.
Again nothing, a good portion of the Burrow jockers are knocking Ehrhoff with absolutely no basis for their "arguments" other than what they read on these boards.

I'm all for people who wanna jock their favorite player but there is no need to knock on Ehrhoff to prove it. That's the loser's way out.

08-17-2009, 01:31 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice View Post
Again nothing, a good portion of the Burrow jockers are knocking Ehrhoff with absolutely no basis for their "arguments" other than what they read on these boards.

I'm all for people who wanna jock their favorite player but there is no need to knock on Ehrhoff to prove it. That's the loser's way out.
Of all the posts you quoted, i would say only the 2nd, 3rd and 7th actually make statements that could be considered saying Ehrhoff is bad.

Milvesof basically calls him average, imanania speaks the truth given our current pairings, Defeatist makes an anti-ehrhoff comment, but is right... and Linkteen is basically just overrating Burrows but doesn't say that Ehrhoff is bad.

Old
08-17-2009, 01:38 AM
Laoghaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice View Post

I would say by a good margin Vancouver fans over rate their players the most. Remember when Anson Carter got 33 goals with the Sedins? Now he's in Switzerland.

Old
08-17-2009, 01:39 AM
JohnHodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Of all the posts you quoted, i would say only the 2nd, 3rd and 7th actually make statements that could be considered saying Ehrhoff is bad.

Milvesof basically calls him average, imanania speaks the truth given our current pairings, Defeatist makes an anti-ehrhoff comment, but is right... and Linkteen is basically just overrating Burrows but doesn't say that Ehrhoff is bad.
I would say the 2nd comment has some truth to it. He's been averaging mostly 20-25 points and suddenly this season he scored 40 points on a stacked SJS team that was third in PP.

Old
08-17-2009, 01:44 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoghaire View Post
I would say by a good margin Vancouver fans over rate their players the most. Remember when Anson Carter got 33 goals with the Sedins? Now he's in Switzerland.
Not at all, at least with Carter. Everyone scoffed at his request for a raise.

Old
08-17-2009, 01:50 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoghaire View Post
Remember when Anson Carter got 33 goals with the Sedins? Now he's in Switzerland.
Carter was allowed to walk with full blessing from most of Canuck fandom.

Old
08-17-2009, 04:36 AM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Yeah, because those are perfect examples. The top scoring forward in the world is a 2nd liner just because he plays on the 2nd line? Does that make Burrows a 1st liner then?

Considering Burrows played on the 1st line last year, I guess so. They were pretty silly examples, just like it's pretty silly to say you take a top 4 defenseman over a 2nd liner every day. If it's an issue of them being equal players, I see what you are saying.

Old
08-17-2009, 05:32 AM
Qvist

I would not trade away Burrows for Ehrhoff. Theoretically the value ought to be relatively close, but I just don' thave the confidence in Ehrhoff that I do in Burrows.

Old
08-17-2009, 05:49 AM
mytor4*

[QUOTE=ChroniK;20782341]Not a bad proposal actually. I love Burrows, but I wouldn't mind at all.

Remember OP, if you get both sides booing you, it means you made a pretty even proposal.

True with most fans but when dealing with Shark fans you have to give them the moon in exchange for an average player as they always vastly overrate all their players.Have to say in the real world this would be a fair trade with a slight advantage going to the Sharks

Old
08-17-2009, 06:07 AM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado
What's the deal with Erhoff in the playoffs? 38 games, 2 goals, none in the last 27. Is he part of the SJ choking problem?

Quote:
Oh come on, seriously. Christian Ehrhoff is a defenseman and your sole purpose to this post is to discuss his goal-scoring prowess on the blue line in the playoffs?

1) Led the entire team in ice time. Playing nearly 10 minutes more than Boyle, the player with the next most time

2) Led the entire team in even-strength ice time. Playing 13 more minutes than the next player (Vlasic).

4) And for those who think he's only a PP guy, he was 8th in PP time. Despite that lack, the PP was significantly better with him on it throughout the season

7) Was 2nd on the team in shots on goal. Behind only Blake, who is the primary trigger-man on the PP. (and despite #4 above).

When you guys post all these great facts about him in an attempt to pimp him up than yes why not bring up the fact that he's only scored 2 goals in his last 38 playoff games especially when he's your # 2 on your team in shots on goal.You want to pimp the good fine but you can't hide the bad he drags with him too.

Old
08-17-2009, 06:14 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

beaten to death