HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Prospal signs with Rangers for 1 year $1.1 million

Old
08-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Jag68Sid87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
I'd like to see it happen your way. Though I think Kennedy could perform in that spot. There are many times he just showed he had a ton of talent that was not being put to full use. He's easily a 20 goal scorer if he can get some more minutes.

I wish we could do a Vcash bet on who the 2nd line mystery winger is going to be. I'd bet my wad that they'll have Dupuis there, they just always seem to think he belongs in the top 6. He just keeps sneaking back in.
Well, the only way that happens, imo, is if he outplays a whole wad of players in training camp. I think it's pretty significant that he was down on the fourth line at the end of last season, whereas Talbot was a go-to guy on the second line.

I am somewhat confident that one of the kids will step up. The opening is there, which is another reason why I wouldn't want us to add another veteran right now. You want the kids to be as hungry as possible when camp starts.

We have every reason to believe that Dupuis won't be with us by season's end. It's just a matter of when, not if, he's moved out.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Well, the only way that happens, imo, is if he outplays a whole wad of players in training camp. I think it's pretty significant that he was down on the fourth line at the end of last season, whereas Talbot was a go-to guy on the second line.

I am somewhat confident that one of the kids will step up. The opening is there, which is another reason why I wouldn't want us to add another veteran right now. You want the kids to be as hungry as possible when camp starts.

We have every reason to believe that Dupuis won't be with us by season's end. It's just a matter of when, not if, he's moved out.

would they have the heart? lol

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 10:45 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Quote:

thats insane, in a cool way. but for a guy who got his first cup i guess it means alot, even if he doesn't stay with the team he won't regret that tattoo because its the team he won it with.

would be worse if he just got this tattoo, haha

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 11:52 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

it's at least a promising sign that dupuis stayed on the fourth line during the playoffs when a top-six spot opened up. i don't think bylsma is nearly as attached to dupuis as therrien was.

i think there was a three or four game stretch in march that dupuis played with malkin and fedotenko when sykora was out, but it wasn't a terribly successful line, and that may have persuaded the coaches not to put him back up there when it counted.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:

That's hilarious. I think someone will soon need to invent a way to photoshop one's own skin.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:55 AM
CrosbyMalkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin a shake View Post
What would be nice is if we could just once go into the deadline being as good as we should be instead of doing our typical second half hot streak to make the playoffs. I mean we do it every year. It's getting a bit ridiculous.

06-07: We had that ridiculous streak of 20 games or whatever with a point.
07-08: Middling a bit then Conks gets red hot when Fleury is hurt and we rocket up the standings.
08-09: Suck even harder than we usually do in the first half, but somehow go on yet *another* great streak to get into the playoffs.

I'd like to think it won't happen again this year since we played so well under Bylsma, but even with this team looking stronger on paper right now(as in not post-deadline) than any of those teams were(08-09 would be stronger on paper with Hossa arguably, but as you all know Hossa wasn't on them to start the season)I am hoping we can start and stay strong enough to hold onto a top 5 seed for the whole year.
While I think we will have a good year with success the whole way through I find it funny you complain about the past couple seasons.

Who cares about the regular season, it means very little compared to the playoffs and with making the finals the past 2 years and winning this year I find this topic amusing. Shero has found the right fits for the team the past two years at the deadline and I have no doubt he will tweak the roster again near the deadline if needed.

This team has been to the finals the past two years and with most of their top players still as young as the HF top 50 prospect list. This team has a decent chance to be a dynasty and I have every confidence in the world that Shero will give the Pens the best chance to make that a reality.

Yes you might pay more at the deadline but you also can afford more with the cap hit. For example if you have $1.5 million in cap space that allows you to bring in a player that is around $6 million. Having cap space for that type of trade is better than signing a $1.5 million player now.

I would love Tanguay though.

CrosbyMalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 10:12 AM
CrosbyMalkin

Quote:
Typically all thats available on the trade deadline is a rental player and you have to give up future assets to obtain that player usually. It is very hit and miss whether or not that move is even something beneficial for the club. For every Bill Guerin there more Derek Morris situations. Making that the team's strategy to address weaknesses is not a sound one and you're playing against the odds and paying at a premium because of the time period you chose to buy at.

That being said this isnt an on paper weakness... this is a well known weakness. This club SHOULD know how a line will perform with Pascal Dupuis in the top 6. I'd like to hope that they don't have delusions that he'll make an effective winger anymore. But from the looks of it if he is the guy on Malkin's line then we basically lost an effective even strength line to go into the season with. That is a fairly significant problem. The regular season is important, we cant always hope to go on crazy tears after we fire a coach to correct our regular season deficiencies. We need an actual top 6 winger OR they need to go with someone like Kennedy who at least has the possibility of upside.

Judging by their past actions though I think it is more likely we'll see #9 next to Malkin rather than #48. I'd rather not wait to pay more for a rental when it's obvious what the problem is now.
We just won the Cup with the top 3 forward lines all intact from the finals when Talbot comes back from injury. I don't think Shero is in any hurry to get something done. If the right deal makes sense I am sure he will think about doing the deal but I trust his judgement. This team went to the Cup Finals the past 2 years and the core is now closer to their primes and now with valuable finals experience for the past two years.

Shero knows what he is doing and I am fine going into this season with the roster we have now and so should you. I doubt Dupuis will be on that 2nd line like you said because Blysma was benching him from 4th line duty and dressing Adams instead. I bet a young kid like Caputi or Tangradi will fill in for Talbot until he gets healthy and then we will have the same 3 lines that won the Cup. The addition of Rupp to the 4th line also makes that line better so I think we actually might even have a better 4 lines than we had in the finals.

Shero has many good reasons to wait until the deadline. The biggest reason is the cap hit differance which allows you to add I much better player because of the cap room at that time.

Also you know more about your team so you can make a better decision on what to add. For example maybe someone like Caputi or Tangradi plays lights out at WBS and gets a chance with the Pens because of an injury and shows they are ready for duty. Maybe Gogo does not work out or a dman gets hurt and that is the spot we need to spend the money. You never know what is going to be a need and when you have a forward group that is all back that won the Cup you don't need to make hasty decisions.

It is hard to argue Shero's judgement with what he has done to date. The Pens have been to the finals the past two years with most of its key players not in their primes. This team has room to be even better than they have been over the past to playoffs which should be scary for the rest of the league. A few years from now this team could just be head and shoulders better than anyone. Getting to the finals the past two years makes them close to that now in my opinion. Not many teams get to the finals two years in a row and have a young core like we do.

Old
08-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Gooch

tldr

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Dan Barr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyMalkin View Post
While I think we will have a good year with success the whole way through I find it funny you complain about the past couple seasons.

Who cares about the regular season, it means very little compared to the playoffs and with making the finals the past 2 years and winning this year I find this topic amusing. Shero has found the right fits for the team the past two years at the deadline and I have no doubt he will tweak the roster again near the deadline if needed.

This team has been to the finals the past two years and with most of their top players still as young as the HF top 50 prospect list. This team has a decent chance to be a dynasty and I have every confidence in the world that Shero will give the Pens the best chance to make that a reality.

Yes you might pay more at the deadline but you also can afford more with the cap hit. For example if you have $1.5 million in cap space that allows you to bring in a player that is around $6 million. Having cap space for that type of trade is better than signing a $1.5 million player now.

I would love Tanguay though.
You also have to give up assets to get them. If you want a 6 million dollar player at the deadline, you'd better be prepared to give up a 1st round pick, a prospect, and a roster player.

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 10:26 AM
CrosbyMalkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Barr View Post
You also have to give up assets to get them. If you want a 6 million dollar player at the deadline, you'd better be prepared to give up a 1st round pick, a prospect, and a roster player.
I never said I want one but just pointing out the cap space advantage of waiting near the deadline. Having the flexability to bring in a more expensive player helps. Guerin was $4.5 million last year and only cost a 3rd. I don't see the Pens bringing in a $6 million dollar player either. Still having the cap flexability to do so is never a bad thing. Maybe you bring in players that add up near that in 2 seperate deals.

Like I said in the other posts, we just won the Cup and been to the finals the past 2 years and we bring back almost our whole team. I am fine starting the season with this team the way it is.