HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ott - Chi Trade

Old
08-18-2009, 12:45 AM
Piffle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Pretty much this. I actually like the trade myself. The Sens aren't spending a whole lot on defense right now and need to spread the money around. Cambpell would still be over paid but his cap hit might be managable with Karlsson, Cowen, Lee and Weirciotch coming along, who should be effective cheap players on entry level deals over the next 4-5 years.

Eager is one of those local boys I'd love to see wearing a Sens jersey too.
I'm a Hawks fan, but I agree with your Ottawa comments. You have to have a few star players to be a contender. You don't want all of them at forward. An offensive defenseman like Campbell really adds an extra dimension to a team's game. If you can't get an elite 2-way defensman like a Lidstrom, then you really need a guy like Campbell. And there are not anywhere close to enough Lidstrom type guys to go around. I think Ottawa is most definitely a place that Campbell could end up, but I think it will be next summer not this summer (this is only assuming Heatley is moved and Ottawa doesn't take a big cap hit back). We will make a cup run with him on the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
yep, word was that we offered just as much money (cap hit), just on the shorter term. Basically Murray went about as far as any reasonable GM would, and then tallon went a bit further.
I guess since you think the 6 years Ottawa offered him originally was reasonable then having him for 6 years at his current cap hit after this season is over with even more playoff experience is reasonable too? Sold.

And I really hope the Hawks keep Eager for a while. Hopefully after this year he will move up to the third line when we have to clear out a guy or two. He has a pretty good scoring touch on top of everything else he adds to a team.

Piffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 12:54 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Instead of the 1st could Kyle Beach be added? With the departure of Heatley, Ottawa won't be meeting its quota of headcases.

But seriously, Take out 1st, add Beach. Ottawa sends one of Zubov, O'Brien or 2nd perhaps to even it out?

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 03:42 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Chicago will be in a tough spot next year. Trying to take away anybody who could possibly play in our top 9 next year that'll be on ELC is a straight no-go. At first I didn't like this trade, but with a forward lineup of

Heatley - Toews - Kane
Versteeg - Bolland - Hossa
Ladd - Madden - Byfuglien
Kelly - Kopecky - Burish/Brouwer/Fraser

it'd be damn hard not to think twice about this deal. Our defense would need a very big year from Hammer and either Sopel our Hendry to step up there games to the level they were playing at two years ago.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 04:08 AM
Pyke*

Lol @ the guy who included Lee in the deal.

Not happening. Campbell has negative value with his contract, so, if the Sens are making a trade with Heatley involved to the Hawks, one of our stud young defencemen is not going the other way (unless a player named Toews, Kane or Keith is coming back... then we can talk).

Actually, that's an interesting thought. Heatley + Lee for Kane + Campbell....? I mean, I have no doubt Kane > Lee and Heatley > Campbell. Just an interesting aside.

-=-=-

Working from the original proposal, I would change it to something like this (but I don't like it):

Proposal #1:
To Ottawa:
Brian Campbell
Patrick Sharp
Brent Seabrook (RFA: 10/11)?

To Chicago:
Dany Heatley
Jason Smith (salary dump to minors)
Brian Lee? (I like Lee an awful lot... just trying to find a way to balance the deal. Ultimately I feel like Ottawa needs a good young player with superstar potential to balance the deal, while if this is the case, Ottawa needs to give up a blue chip / likely top six/top four player in return...

I don't think Versteeg works...and I don't think the Hawks will trade Kane or Toews.

Proposal #2:

Proposal #2:
To Ottawa:
Brian Campbell
Patrick Sharp
Versteeg
Jack Skille

To Chicago:
Dany Heatley
Ilya Zubov

-=-=-

But to me #2 makes less sense, since Versteeg doesn't fit cap wise.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 04:32 AM
Piffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post

Not happening. Campbell has negative value with his contract, so, if the Sens are making a trade with Heatley involved to the Hawks, one of our stud young defencemen is not going the other way (unless a player named Toews, Kane or Keith is coming back... then we can talk).

Actually, that's an interesting thought. Heatley + Lee for Kane + Campbell....? I mean, I have no doubt Kane > Lee and Heatley > Campbell. Just an interesting aside.

-=-=-

Working from the original proposal, I would change it to something like this (but I don't like it):

Proposal #1:
To Ottawa:
Brian Campbell
Patrick Sharp

To Chicago:
Dany Heatley
Brian Lee? (I like Lee an awful lot... just trying to find a way to balance the deal. Ultimately I feel like Ottawa needs a good young player with superstar potential to balance the deal, while if this is the case, Ottawa needs to give up a blue chip / likely top six/top four player in return...

I don't think Versteeg works...and I don't think the Hawks will trade Kane or Toews.

Proposal #2:

Proposal #2:
To Ottawa:
Brian Campbell
Patrick Sharp
Versteeg
Jack Skille

To Chicago:
Dany Heatley
Ilya Zubov

-=-=-

You just had to ruin a nice thread full of reasonable trade proposals with one-sided crap huh.

Old
08-18-2009, 05:16 AM
taipale*

It's funny how there are so many things working on this trade, while the players added are such big names. Essentially seems like that if the GM's would agree with the posters with the needs and lacks of both teams, there could be a agreement here. I just love to see things were a LOT of things click. Please be free to correct me though - I'm just thinking from an outsider POV.

The components for a successful trade seem to be:

Heatley + Minor Prospect + Salary Dump
for
Campbell + Sharp + Young NHL player

So I'm thinking:
Dany Heatley, Jason Smith and Louie Caporusso/3rd Round Pick
for
Brian Campbell, Patrick Sharp and Ben Eager

Reasoning for Chicago wanting to get Ottawa's return:
They would get insane forward depth - Toews, Kane, Hossa and Heatley would destroy everything, and also have a great supporting cast. Jason Smith could be buried down or maybe even added to the D as a veteran (seriously don't know about this though?) - the prospect/pick would even things out. Caporusso seems like a good candidate with his uncertain yet possible elevation to top line talent, yet he doesn't seem to have the size according to my HF site browsing.. or maybe a pick would fit Ottawa's need better and Chicago could accept that too?

Reasoning for Ottawa wanting to get Chicago's return:
They get an expensive yet legit first pairing defender in Campbell around whom you can build a young, up-and-coming defense. Considering there aren't that many expensive guys along with him and that the younger guys would eventually replace some costlier guys, the potential for a good salary structure is there. Sharp would be a great Top6 player that would soften the blow that Heatley's departure would leave - the salary structure would however look a lot better for a team not ready to be challenging for a cup run in a while. Ben Eager is a homeboy, young character players that have a lot of great intangibles for a team that ought to see to a minor overhaul. (Don't know enough about Eager to think more of it).

Reasoning for Ottawa to be able to let go of their own:
* They might not be happy letting Heatley go but then again the trade request is a reality, their offense has two big names in Alfredsson (for still a few years) and Spezza. They would lose that speciality of theirs to carry a very top heavy offense but
* The team is going through a rebuild of sorts - at least they ought to, and getting Sharp seems someone on who you can build around nicely. Considering if Heatley would have to be moved to ensure the team would stay together, Sharp is one of the better replacements for him.
* The salary dump of Jason Smith is a clearly positive thing for Ottawa, since they want to get younger - him off the books also softens the blow on Campbell's arriving cap hit, and when the prospect system is bringing younger guys in who'd need a few years to settle in the big league, Smith just isn't a viable person by that time to cover their back and teach them the ropes.
* Minor prospect that would be included should be a player that would carry value to Chicago and Ottawa both - not essential value though - and serves both teams well as a part of the deal to make it as tolerable for both teams as possible. Maybe Chicago needs a prospect to feel still as young as before..? Who knows - if something like that is needed, then Ottawa would provide it to get the deal done.

Reasoning for Chicago to be able to let go of their own:
* They have forwards like Kane, Toews and Hossa to manage a grand first line, and youngsters like Bolland and Versteeg, etc. The depth is there - and while Sharp is a great contributor on his own, upgrading him to Heatley would allow Chicago to carry two insane top lines. They do have contracts coming up as it is though..
* .. so that's why letting go of Campbell is a good thing. They already have Barker, Keith and Seabrook as young guys who are cheap now but would be impossible to maintain in the long run with Campbell on board. Carrying all of them 3 while young, constantly learning and getting the most of their contracts would make Campbell - if not obsolete - an unbalanced choice for the team.
* Ben Eager is one factor I can't say much about - don't know enough about him.

So maybe.. the biggest if's in this scenario are whether Ottawa think Heatley should be moved after all, and how Ben Eager - who a LOT of people seem to like - weighs in. This is just how I see it - and a trade like this, I think, could help both parties a whole lot.

taipale* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 07:00 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 900
Not bad, but Chicago says no.

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 08:20 AM
brevard*

Quote:

-=-=-

Proposal #1:
To Ottawa:
Brian Campbell
Patrick Sharp

To Chicago:
Dany Heatley

Proposal #2:

Proposal #2:
To Ottawa:
Brian Campbell
Patrick Sharp
Versteeg
Jack Skille

To Chicago:
Dany Heatley
Ilya Zubov

-=-=-

Up until this post HF showed it could be a place where intelligent hockey fans offer trade proposals back and forth. Some may have leaned slightly one way and some the other but all were reasonable ... Like I said ... until this post.

Why ruin a thread of good well thought out ideas with 1 sided ********?

brevard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevard View Post
Up until this post HF showed it could be a place where intelligent hockey fans offer trade proposals back and forth. Some may have leaned slightly one way and some the other but all were reasonable ... Like I said ... until this post.

Why ruin a thread of good well thought out ideas with 1 sided ********?
LoL.

Whatever. Those "well thought out ideas" dramatically undervalue a two time 50 goal scorer who has put up the 2nd most goals since the lockout and 4th most points.

There's nothing "well thought out" about them. In fact, the deal *I* proposed, STILL favours Chicago and, honestly, I would not want the Sens to do either of them.

I simply was addressing the caliber of package that makes sense. I'm going to copy and paste my post from the Dallas thread, because you just don't seem to get it:

-=-=-

Quote:
You know a deal is slanted to one team when fans of the RIVALS of your team are indicating it's a good deal for the trading partner of the rival.

I.E.:
When Leaf fans say a proposal involving the Sens benefits the team the Sens are trading WITH the most, clearly the deal is so biased that you have to have your head up your ass to not notice it.

There's no way in hell the Senators would trade Dany Heatley to the Dallas Stars for that package.

Whether you personally like it or not, Dany Heatley is:
1) 28 years old. Most players today are playing until they are 35-40, and, the statistic on "prime forward years" being 23-27 is ********. The only reason you see some superstars points drop off a little is because they become more well rounded players as they go into the years around 30.

2) Dany Heatley has scored the 2nd most goals (and 4th most points) since the lockout. He's also outscored his superstar teammates, Daniel Alfredsson and Jason Spezza... so if he was only riding their coattails, it's impressive that he managed to outscore *both* of them.

3) His points per game average since the lockout is 1.18 - and for the most part, he has been pretty healthy minus the Snyder incident in Atlanta.... but nobody is immune from injuries when they crash a Ferrari.

4) If you personally think Dany Heatley has character issues: Why trade for him? As a Senators fan, I am PERFECTLY happy to have him on our roster for the entire season. Most Senators fans feel the same way. Like it or not, he remains an all-star talent.

5) Which reminds me, if you (Canadian sports fans) are so sure he's got character issues, why do you want him on Team Canada? Oh right.. because he's EASILY the best left winger we have. When you consider that the player is easily the best LW on one of the deepest rosters in the world for talent, and in fact, other than Russia (where he would be 2nd line LW behind Ovechkin), that he would be 1st line LW on ANY TEAM IN THE WORLD, you become pretty ridiculous to say "Oh yeah... Louis Erikson and Steve Ott and the Universally balancing 2nd Round Pick is worth Dany Heatley". None of those players would make the 4th line of Canada or Russia, let alone the 1st.

6) If you insist on saying that Dany Heatley is "overpaid", why don't you actually do the math of how much he gets paid per point. 100 point players making $7.5m get paid about $75,000 per point, but more importantly, as a 45ish goal scorer on average, he gets paid about $166,000 per goal. Take the salaries of the top 10 players in the NHL for goals and points last season, then divide it by the number of goals and points they scored. I guarantee you Dany Heatley will be right in the middle of the pack of players. He might not be a bargain, but he's not overpriced.

7) His defensive play may not be at the level of the Red Wings (comparatively) offensively challenged top two lines (which, for all their defensive play really have yet to become top 3-5 players in the game *offensively*), but when you compare him to other offensive superstars (Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, etc.) he's not bad at all.

-=-=-

Summation:
-This (the Dallas) trade is stupid.
-If you don't want him, we'll gladly keep him.
-If you do want him, make a legitimate proposal.
-Out of all things, Senators fans most want to see him on the roster come October.

Old
08-18-2009, 02:37 PM
Xspyrit

vCash: 1000
What about :

Dustin Byfuglien F $3,000,000 + Brian Campbell D $7,142,875 + Cristobal Huet G $5,625,000 (15.76)

for

Dany Heatley F $7,500,000 + Anton Volchenkov D $2,500,000 + Pascal Leclaire G $3,800,000 (total = 13.8)

I know it's probably not interesting for the Hawks but they would save 2M$ on the cap and that deal would help them in the long distance.

Finally resolve their situation and can finally move on! Maybe the Sens should add a 1st to sweeten the pot for the Hawks to take a team's cancer, but who knows?

Get 'er done Murray!

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
What about :

Dustin Byfuglien F $3,000,000 + Brian Campbell D $7,142,875 + Cristobal Huet G $5,625,000 (15.76)

for

Dany Heatley F $7,500,000 + Anton Volchenkov D $2,500,000 + Pascal Leclaire G $3,800,000 (total = 13.8)

I know it's probably not interesting for the Hawks but they would save 2M$ on the cap and that deal would help them in the long distance.

Finally resolve their situation and can finally move on! Maybe the Sens should add a 1st to sweeten the pot for the Hawks to take a team's cancer, but who knows?

Get 'er done Murray!

1) Huet's over paid.
2) We gave up VERMETTE for Leclaire. Do you even watch the Sens?
3) Why the hell are you so fond of giving up our best defensive d-man?

Old
08-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Piffle

Quote:
LoL.

Whatever. Those "well thought out ideas" dramatically undervalue a two time 50 goal scorer who has put up the 2nd most goals since the lockout and 4th most points.

There's nothing "well thought out" about them. In fact, the deal *I* proposed, STILL favours Chicago and, honestly, I would not want the Sens to do either of them.

I simply was addressing the caliber of package that makes sense. I'm going to copy and paste my post from the Dallas thread, because you just don't seem to get it:

-=-=-
Well I wouldn't want the Hawks to do either of them. So I guess you can keep your former 50 goal scorer and your salary dumps and we will keep our 3-4 young, quality players.

Maybe you should take the multiple hints in this thread from both sides and re-evaluate your idea of player value.

Old
08-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piffle View Post
Well I wouldn't want the Hawks to do either of them. So I guess you can keep your former 50 goal scorer and your salary dumps and we will keep our 3-4 young, quality players.

Maybe you should take the multiple hints in this thread from both sides and re-evaluate your idea of player value.
Why?

I'm quite content to have Heatley spend the next 6 years playing for the Senators. I've said that all along.

I like proposing trades because it's interesting to see value, but end of the day, I've yet to see any reasonable trade proposal that I would RATHER have than Dany Heatley.

I'm sure there's combinations of players that would be worth more to the Sens than Dany Heatley, but most of those combinations are *unreasonable*.

It's not like I said Chicago should trade Hossa, Kane, Toews and Keith for Heatley.

Old
08-18-2009, 03:46 PM
BeerandHockey
╚(_)╝

Quote:
What about :

for

Get 'er done Murray!
when did you start to hate the Senators? I thought you were a fan?

Leclaire has more potential then Huet and the better goalie in the trade with a smaller cap hit, Heatley is the best player in that trade, and they top it off by adding A-train. Ouch!

If Campbell had to be part of the package and A-train was involved, I would hope to see something along the lines of Heatley, Vochenkov and Zubov or Kelly for Campbell, Sharp and Versteeg or Byfuglien

BeerandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piffle View Post

What do you think of this deal?

Quote:
What about :

for

Is it good or am i way off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praise Alfie View Post
when did you start to hate the Senators? I thought you were a fan?

Leclaire has more potential then Huet and the better goalie in the trade with a smaller cap hit, Heatley is the best player in that trade, and they top it off by adding A-train. Ouch!

If Campbell had to be part of the package and A-train was involved, I would hope to see something along the lines of Heatley, Vochenkov and Zubov or Kelly for Campbell, Sharp and Versteeg or Byfuglien
I am a fan! But i realized reading HF Boards that Sens fans are totally delusional with their opinion on Heatley's value!

That's why we need to add in value if we hope to trade him. We also need to take all the big contracts (and somewhat overpaid players) from the other team. If not, we will have a cancer into our room and we will be stucked with Heatley for 5 years!!!!!!!

Stop over-valuing our players.

Old
08-18-2009, 03:51 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
That last deal is very much in favor of Chicago. Most of these have been pretty reasonable for both parties, except for Pyke's. On the last one if we threw in a prospect or two it'd still be slanted towards Chicago.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
That last deal is very much in favor of Chicago. Most of these have been pretty reasonable for both parties, except for Pyke's. On the last one if we threw in a prospect or two it'd still be slanted towards Chicago.
Sigh. My proposals were probably the most balanced in the thread, but I'm sure that because I don't think Heatley is worth a bag of pucks I'm delusional.

Anyway, whatever. I have better things to worry about.

Old
08-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Piffle

Quote:
What do you think of this deal?

Is it good or am i way off?

I am a fan! But i realized reading HF Boards that Sens fans are totally delusional with their opinion on Heatley's value!

That's why we need to add in value if we hope to trade him. We also need to take all the big contracts (and somewhat overpaid players) from the other team. If not, we will have a cancer into our room and we will be stucked with Heatley for 5 years!!!!!!!

Stop over-valuing our players.
I can't decide if I would do that, so that probably means it is close to fair value. It is actually probably slanted towards Chicago too much. I like Volchenkov, but I really don't see Ottawa management letting him go. And I really want to see Byfuglien in Chicago for one more year at least. I think he is finally starting to figure out how to play forward and be a pain in the other team's rear. For 5 or 6 games in the playoffs last year he was an utter monster and impossible to contain. If he can figure out how to do that somewhat consistently, then look out. I expect this to be his breakout year. If he does break out, we have another "problem" in that we have too many good forwards to afford (I love how some fans of other teams razz us about this. What better position could a team possibly be in than to have too many quality young players to afford?)

Regardless, trades that move that many roster players are pretty rare.

Old
08-18-2009, 05:49 PM
salty justice

Quote:
What about :

for

Get 'er done Murray!
Chicago takes this deal and wins the next 3 Cups. This is heavily in Chicago's favor.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 06:51 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
I mostly disagree. I think I'd do it although I'd really like to keep Eager somehow.
Eager's an okay player, but nothing I'd cringe at getting rid of.

The only guys I truly think are untouchable on this team are Toews, Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarrson (considering his role, age, contract, and how he played last year), and Bolland. Every one else, in some form or another, is expendable.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 07:08 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

lol (apparently writing this at the start of my post makes me superior or something)

I do think something could be worked out between chicago and ottawa, but i dont think that murray would consider campbell again. He chose not to sign him before, and GM's dont like to admit when they made a mistake.

I'd say a heatley-hawks deal would include Sharp and Buf coming back to ottawa, and then perhaps a swap of lee (with a pick) and barker to make it work salary wise.

overall it would look something like
Sharp (3.9)
Buf (3.0)
Barker (3.08)

for

Heatley (7.5)
Lee (825k + bonuses)

hawks get a large upgrade up front and make some space for the future while downgrading on defence, but still get a good young d-man with top-pairing upside to replace barker.

I feel as if the sens might have to add a pick to that, but think a 2nd is too much and a 3rd has no value in trade proposals, so no point in writing that in now.

Last edited by danishh: 08-18-2009 at 07:16 PM.
danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

I think Bryan Murray would target Barker and Sharp as the centerpieces. But we'd have to send back a couple of defensemen along with Heatley to make it work.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
Chicago takes this deal and wins the next 3 Cups. This is heavily in Chicago's favor.
Sorry i don't know what to think anymore. BY reading these heatley proposals, i tought it was a pretty fair deal

And everyone (except a couple people) missed the massive sarcasm i was using on all my proposals today

Old
08-19-2009, 07:54 AM
SensDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyeddy View Post
To Ottawa:
Sharp (3.9)
Campbell (7.142)
Eager (965,000)

To Chicago:
Heatley (7.5)
Kelly (2.125)
Smith (2.6)

Ottawa would be approx. 300,000 over salary cap with 22 players signed.
Chicago would be below cap by 1.2 million with 23 players signed.

Ottawa gets a good forward, tough hometown guy, a puck moving defensman.
Chicago gets 50 goal scorer, but two salary dump players but move a huge contract themselves.

This is my first thread. Flame away.
I don't think Chicago would be willing to make a trade like this because they want cap room to sign Toews,Kane, and Keith. Eager should be removed off the proposal in order to add Dustin Byfgulien in the package to Ottawa. Byfgulien removes $3million off of Chicago's cap. But since Dustin is more effective on the ice than Eager, Senators should add Donovan to the trade. With Campbell being Ottawa's offensive d-man addition. Kuba should be traded for a prospect or a draft pick, Kuba to Washington for Karl Alzner and their 2nd round pick would be an acceptable trade approach. Or trade away Picard and Campoli, to keep Kuba (large body = large threat) and make room for the younger guys or room for christoph schubert to play (atleast Schub plays wing and D).

So the trade would be:

To Ottawa:

Campbell ($7.142 million)
Sharp ($3.9 million)
Byfgulien ($3 million)

To Chicago:

Heatley ($7.5 million)
Smith ($2.6 million)
Donovan($0.9 million) * i think, not sure about salary, it may be $1.6 million
Kelly ($2.125 million)

SensDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 08:13 AM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensDude View Post
Kuba to Washington for Karl Alzner and their 2nd round pick would be an acceptable trade approach.
That's rich.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote