HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Little Hindsight

Old
05-06-2015, 10:46 PM
majormet

vCash: 500
A Little Hindsight

Now that I am sitting back watching other teams play, it dawned on me that the Isles blew the season at the trade deadline, the teams that are looking good in the playoffs right now are the teams that made changes to their roster without changing the complexion of the team. Rangers did too much adding Yandle, Isles did too little adding Kennedy.

Washington added Glencross and Gleason and look at them right now, if Isles added Jagr and Gleason at the deadline, I think we would be much deeper in the playoffs. Hockey is one sport where deadline moves put you over the top, like adding Butch Goring in the first Cup Run....

People can hang Cappy all they want, but the team seriously overachieved in the first half of the season and the signs were there at the deadline that adjustment was needed. Gleason would have given us a 2nd physical dman that actually was a factor in beating us... Jagr would have given JT a line mate that you don't sleep on.

I believe you can examine many factors, loss of Hamonic, burning out of Halak etc... but it is the failure at the deadline to make moves of importance that cost us in the end.

That being said an experienced 1st line goal scorer and a bottom pairing stay at home physical dman will put the Isles into another sphere next season. You can use HIckey if he is paired with a guy like Gleason. Hickey and Strait equals 2-3 minutes in your own end.

So much focus on backup goalies when that is really overrated, anyone that is not good enough to start in the NHL is flawed, Poulin, Neuwirth, Johnson, MacDonald, Montoya, etc... they are going to look bad often

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2015, 10:48 PM
PK Cronin
HFB Partner

No, just no.

PK Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2015, 11:03 PM
Tavares2TheRescue
Hawks Bandwagoner

vCash: 200
Tim Gleason is a terrible player and I have no idea how you didn't see that yourself after watching him get absolutely abused by the Islanders for 7 games.

Tavares2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2015, 11:39 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Really, the difference between adding a Gleason and adding a Kennedy seems like nothing. They're both 7th D/13th F type players. It's just working out for Washington.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2015, 11:51 PM
Benedict Kovalchuk
Kovalchuk: A spy?

Maybe Jagr is a miracle healer given how well he is playing at his age, but is Gleason? 'cause injuries were THE reason why we lost, in addition to an abysmal PP and questionable coaching. We didn't a shutdown bottom pairing d-man we needed a Hamonic without a bum knee. Which we could not have foreseen.

Honestly, I'm glad Garth didn't go nuts at the deadline. We had very little to trade with.

Benedict Kovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2015, 11:54 PM
Crispy385

Send a message via AIM to Crispy385
Correlation and causation and all that. Think your hindsight is a bit fuzzy.

Crispy385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2015, 12:00 AM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Really, the difference between adding a Gleason and adding a Kennedy seems like nothing. They're both 7th D/13th F type players. It's just working out for Washington.
In hindsight, this season was a test run with hopes of catching lightning in a bottle.

The Islanders had no desirable picks or players worthy of a trade, having used - not squandered them - on trading for Boychuk. With at least one prospect with promise in each position, the Islanders pretty much opted out of any big haul this last TDL or for the upcoming draft pending a trade, which would likely be Grabner if Staple's gut feeling is right.

Considering what depth defense was going for, plugging one hole likely would have required opening another, and as much as I'd have liked another option on D and less reliance on Strait/Hickey, I'd rather have Boychuk. A journeyman D would have taken at least a 2nd, and the Islanders needed Johnny all season just to get as far as they did.

While not the greatest solace, at least Grabner, Nielsen (if he really is on the block) and picks in '16 have greater value moving into next season and now Mayfield, Reinhart and Pulock (in that order) have a chance to make the leap. Insulating them longs would have been a luxury, but one I can pass since the market value for solid D at the TDL would have most likely been around/part of what was used for JB/NL, and the end result (7 year contracts) outweighs an expiring contract, IMO. We could act on much at the deadline, but we sort of got the better deal, having taken two of the more desirable blueliners off of the market.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2015, 12:38 AM
isles55

Glencross has been a healthy scratch for half the playoffs just like Kennedy was for us.

isles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2015, 12:43 AM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict Kovalchuk View Post
Maybe Jagr is a miracle healer given how well he is playing at his age, but is Gleason? 'cause injuries were THE reason why we lost, in addition to an abysmal PP and questionable coaching. We didn't a shutdown bottom pairing d-man we needed a Hamonic without a bum knee. Which we could not have foreseen.

Honestly, I'm glad Garth didn't go nuts at the deadline. We had very little to trade with.
I do believe losing Hamonic was the chief reason for the early exit, but Gleason was had for Jack Hillen which is basically Brian Strait, so I am sure we could have had him on the cheap.

Jagr from Jersey might have been a pick and someone like Donovan, really not big asking prices, would have made some difference

We did not abuse Gleason at all, Isles offense was invisible for 50% of the series it seemed, a lot had to do with the Washington top 4 obviously

Old
05-07-2015, 12:58 AM
GrandmaSlices51631

We didn't have the chips to move. Snow declined offers for HoSang & other high end prospects and i'm glad he did. Losing Hamonic was huge, but the series came down to who could play the better 60 minutes. What was Gleason going to do about our 9 SOG?

Jaro didn't burn out either. He had one bad game in which he was hung out to dry. If Snow had added Gleason and/or Jagr while keeping CJ in net, most of us would have been LIVID.

GrandmaSlices51631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2015, 01:15 AM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaSlices51631 View Post
We didn't have the chips to move. Snow declined offers for HoSang & other high end prospects and i'm glad he did. Losing Hamonic was huge, but the series came down to who could play the better 60 minutes. What was Gleason going to do about our 9 SOG?

Jaro didn't burn out either. He had one bad game in which he was hung out to dry. If Snow had added Gleason and/or Jagr while keeping CJ in net, most of us would have been LIVID.
Gleason is very physical and intimidated heavily in the series, Washington traded Jack Hillen to get him, which is basically Brian Strait... Our dmen got pushed around a lot, and beyond Hamonic the d is not very tough physically, guys like Laich, Tom Wilson, etc where just plastering Hickey, Viz, Strait, and DeHaan. If Reinhart is not ready next season, adding a 5/6 dman who stays at home and plays physical is a critical piece.

The one guy I clamored for at the deadline was Gleason and I am really basing more of what I am seeing against the Rangers now,

Old
05-07-2015, 05:26 AM
StuDog

Halak I don't think was burned out. He wasn't the problem. 17 games in 33 games didn't help the team. The rags had a similar stretch and performed much better. The caps are just playing great hockey and with the whistles being put away they're really taking advantage. Theyre clogging the neutral zone, pressing D deep in the zone on forecheck and grinding out people on the boards. To me it's like watching those really good Devils teams but they have a bit more skill. I don't like that interference, clutching, grabbing, etc are fair game in the playoffs but it would be worse if teams were winning bc of PPs. I really think this may be the caps year. They'll wear every other team down in 7 game series. Lastly, Gleason is good for caps but he is really not a fit for isles speed system.

StuDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2015, 09:09 AM
TROLLPOSO
Brian Strait SUCKS!

We played like crap in game 7. Probably one of our ten worst games of the season. No additions would have made a difference for that one.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2015, 09:28 AM
PK Cronin
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
Gleason is very physical and intimidated heavily in the series, Washington traded Jack Hillen to get him, which is basically Brian Strait... Our dmen got pushed around a lot, and beyond Hamonic the d is not very tough physically, guys like Laich, Tom Wilson, etc where just plastering Hickey, Viz, Strait, and DeHaan. If Reinhart is not ready next season, adding a 5/6 dman who stays at home and plays physical is a critical piece.

The one guy I clamored for at the deadline was Gleason and I am really basing more of what I am seeing against the Rangers now,
Gleason is and was terrible. He didn't do anything to us, just stop with this nonsense.

Last edited by Kevin27nyi: 05-10-2015 at 05:17 PM.
PK Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2015, 09:32 AM
dcv2002

We lost the series because we lost Game 2, Viz got knocked out in Game 4. Maybe if we win those two game, we sweep? Plus we didn't have Hamonic for any games... That's a big reason why it ended the way it did...

Also, blowing that game 82 to CLB was awful also...

dcv2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2015, 09:38 AM
bluechipbonzo

Garf shoulda invested in a crystal ball and time machine to fix Hammer's leg and the Viz's noggin.

Losing in seven games by one goal to a team that\s about to eliminate the Rangers means Garf failed.

Yeah, we weren't ready for the playoffs.

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2015, 09:39 AM
crasherino

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post

Gleason (and Strait) aren't as bad as everyone says here, but he's not particularly good either. Should/would he start over Strait? In a vacuum, I'm not sure - could go either way, but under Cappy, almost certainly not.

So, if we envisioned getting to our 9th Dman, would he have helped? Perhaps. But, its not like Mayfield and Donovan are what really hurt us. I don't think that Gleason would have done any better than Mayfield did in terms of bringing a more physical presence. And, if you think the team would have trusted Gleason more against Ovi, that's either a mistake on your part or an even bigger one by the team.

In reality, losing the PMD that Lubo was was ultimately our downfall. Doubly so after CdH went down. Its not like Gleason would have replaced Hickey in our lineup.

We got to a game 7 against a very good team and somehow decided that we weren't going to play the game that got us there. There is always hindsight, but I'm not sure that the hindsight you suggest is 20/20.

crasherino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2015, 09:48 AM
JohnnyBoychuk55
Shift in Power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLPOSO View Post
We played like crap in game 7. Probably one of our ten worst games of the season. No additions would have made a difference for that one.
Agreed. Worst performance all year! By playing 'not to lose', they got dominated in every facet.

The Isles aren't equipped to 'play not to lose', the Isles are an offensive powerhouse. That game became a foregone conclusion when we decide to give up on our greatest asset, scoring goals.

If anything, that game (and series), proved to me that Halak is the real deal...

We need a sound backup to give Jaro some R&R, but we don't have a netminding problem right now.

JohnnyBoychuk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2015, 11:05 AM
GrandmaSlices51631

In Hindsight, Reinhart, Pulock, Donovan and Mayfield should have been called up in the regular season with ~20 Games left and given proper "auditions" so management/coaching could determine who would give us the best chance to win. Instead, we played Reinhart in gm.5 and got slaughtered. He was the functional equivalent of a totem pole out there.

GrandmaSlices51631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2015, 11:16 AM
crasherino

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaSlices51631 View Post
In Hindsight, Reinhart, Pulock, Donovan and Mayfield should have been called up in the regular season with ~20 Games left and given proper "auditions" so management/coaching could determine who would give us the best chance to win. Instead, we played Reinhart in gm.5 and got slaughtered. He was the functional equivalent of a totem pole out there.
Reinhart should have stayed with the big club in December. The team was playing fast and loose with the IR, they could have finagled a way for him to stay up. He should have received 50% of Strait's minutes and see where it got him. If it looked, after a few weeks, that he was continuously overmatched, send him back down. But he probably wouldn't have been any worse than Strait was.

Not sure it was realistic to get all of Reinhart, Pulock (especially with his injury) and Mayfield time in the NHL. But being that Reinhart was already up, they needed to get him more time as a priority. OF course, Cappy thinks that Strait is part of the Top 6 so we may have bigger problems on our hands.

crasherino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2015, 11:36 AM
doublechili

vCash: 398
If we have the benefit of hindsight re: deadline deals, then Snow should have traded for Rob Scuderi.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2015, 11:37 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
Reinhart should have stayed with the big club in December. The team was playing fast and loose with the IR, they could have finagled a way for him to stay up. He should have received 50% of Strait's minutes and see where it got him. If it looked, after a few weeks, that he was continuously overmatched, send him back down. But he probably wouldn't have been any worse than Strait was.

Not sure it was realistic to get all of Reinhart, Pulock (especially with his injury) and Mayfield time in the NHL. But being that Reinhart was already up, they needed to get him more time as a priority. OF course, Cappy thinks that Strait is part of the Top 6 so we may have bigger problems on our hands.
Reinhart wasn't ready and even after a whole season in the AHL he still isn't ready. His foot speed and decision making are way too slow. Mayfield looked so much better than Reinhart it's not even close.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2015, 11:37 AM
Tavares2TheRescue
Hawks Bandwagoner

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
If we have the benefit of hindsight re: deadline deals, then Snow should have traded for Rob Scuderi.
What's with you guys and old, slow defensemen?

Tavares2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2015, 11:38 AM
BroadwayJay
CORSI Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares2TheRescue View Post
Old, slow, bad defensemen no less!

BroadwayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2015, 11:46 AM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares2TheRescue View Post
But this is an old slow defenseman who knocked Hamonic out of the playoffs. Which wouldn't have happened if Snow had traded for him at the deadline. Remember, hindsight.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote