HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Report: Xbox 360 Failure Rate Reaches 54%

Old
08-18-2009, 12:32 AM
VelvetJones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
It could be a 100% failure rate, it doesn't really make much of a difference to me. I still would have bought it.
Would you buy microsoft condoms?

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 12:38 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Hey guys I just sent in my 360 last week cause I had the 3 red rings as well as the e 74 error. The thing is that my 360 would still sometimes turn on normally with the green lights and I would then have to turn it back off and on again for the error and red rings to appear again. My question is will xbox realize this or will they send it back to me saying nothings wrong with it?

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 02:16 AM
The Lunatic Fridge

Send a message via AIM to The Lunatic Fridge Send a message via MSN to The Lunatic Fridge
I'm in the boat with the guys who have had their 360 since launch ,i think that's like a 3% ratio in the entire world.

Lucky us

The Lunatic Fridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 02:57 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
If it works sometimes it's not the RROD.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 03:30 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
If it works sometimes it's not the RROD.
idk then cause I get the e 74 error too

Old
08-18-2009, 03:35 AM
Zodiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
idk then cause I get the e 74 error too
maybe the power cable is kinda loose? i'd unplug it and then plug it back in, making sure that its pushed in all the way.

it could be that, or it could just be another ****ed up xbox. call microsoft and tell them exactly what happens and see what they say. they'll probably take it and give ya a refub.

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 03:59 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydianSlip View Post
maybe the power cable is kinda loose? i'd unplug it and then plug it back in, making sure that its pushed in all the way.

it could be that, or it could just be another ****ed up xbox. call microsoft and tell them exactly what happens and see what they say. they'll probably take it and give ya a refub.
yeah I did that but after that my graphics were still all messed up like fuzz all over so I shut it off again and then i get the e 74 error and stuff and its making weird noises too, I hope they fix it cause something is definetly wrong with it.

Old
08-18-2009, 06:09 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
It could be a 100% failure rate, it doesn't really make much of a difference to me. I still would have bought it.
This is madness!

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 06:25 AM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMacdonald View Post
They make money?
They've been making money on each console sold for a long time now (this was reported like over a year ago). Pretty much since the Falcon models arrived and they began using the cheaper and more durable 60nm and then 45nm parts.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 06:41 AM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toes View Post
When you get replacements, are they Jasper models? If they are, they should stop having problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by illusion856 View Post
How do you tell?
http://beta.ivancover.com/wiki/index..._360_Revisions

The power supply markings on the back of the 360 can indicate which model it is. I was not sent a new power supply unit earlier this year, even though the unit itself was new, therefore it's most likely an Opus model.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 06:51 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I thought I RRODed 3 weeks ago when my power jumped off when I was playing. The 3 red lights came on and then the thing powered down (obviously...no power). Power came back a few minutes later and ran fine.

The high failure rate is probably only because the originals sucked and were rushed.

Plus remember, this is STATS, which are always slightly flawed. I didn't read the report because it's blocked at work, but assuming they did a random sampling, they could do another random sampling and find that it's 5%. Not saying that this report is false, because the 360 definitely has a high failure rate in comparison to the others, but I would say assuming that 1 in 2 Xbox 360's are going to fail is a bit of a ludicrous assumption.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 07:51 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
My SNES still works and it survived my brother and myself at age 7, plus my friends little sister putting toothpaste in the cartridge slot. I bet it will still work when I'm 50.

I'm not overly surprised at the number. I know people who have made a small business out of repairing trashed xbox consoles.
My Sega Master System, NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast & Wii all still work fine.

My sons Sega Genesis Slim (or whatever it's called) Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Advance SP & PSP all still work fine.

When did it become acceptable for video game consoles to break like this?

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 08:08 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Would you buy microsoft condoms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I thought I RRODed 3 weeks ago when my power jumped off when I was playing. The 3 red lights came on and then the thing powered down (obviously...no power). Power came back a few minutes later and ran fine.

The high failure rate is probably only because the originals sucked and were rushed.

Plus remember, this is STATS, which are always slightly flawed. I didn't read the report because it's blocked at work, but assuming they did a random sampling, they could do another random sampling and find that it's 5%. Not saying that this report is false, because the 360 definitely has a high failure rate in comparison to the others, but I would say assuming that 1 in 2 Xbox 360's are going to fail is a bit of a ludicrous assumption.
Read this thread. People are on their 7th 360. 1 in 2 doesn't seem all that ludicrous.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 08:19 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I was 0 for 2 before switching to a PS3.
Same here.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 08:27 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discipline View Post
Not really. Considering I haven't heard of any 360's purchased within the last year or two RROD. And the fact it is the "best" console means it will still sell.
LOL OK, so because you plug your ears and live in a secluded desert 99% of the time with no internet, no tv, no radio, no telephone or even electricity, that means that no RROD's happen to any 360's purchased in the last year or two.

It's still a 15-20% defect rate for those bought in the last year, what are you saying? That's 1/5 to 1/6 consoles in a 1 year time period.

Old
08-18-2009, 08:33 AM
neofury*

Quote:

How ludicrous could it be what with some people on their 5th 6th or 7th xbox. I mean what are the odds of that happening if the defect rate is 25% or lower. Seriously somebody do the math, what are the odds your 360 defects 7x if it's a 25% defect rate when compared with 55%. Obviously it's just not likely at all that you would have 7 defective models if it was only a 1/4 chance, that's almost as likely as winning the lottery.

Old
08-18-2009, 08:37 AM
Gooch

vCash: 692
Quote:
They make money?
They are a business, and a pretty smart one at that. I highly doubt that they are selling units with a 50%+ failure rate and offering warranty services on them. It would cost them a ridiculous amount just repairing and sending the units back out. It isnt cost effective. These guys arent stupid, they wouldnt do business that way.

I think the scenario is more like Mayday mentioned where it's only the people who got screwed feel the urge to vote giving you a very distorted picture of the real story.

But if you really want to believe that a major electronics manufacturer is selling a product that has a 50% failure rate then by all means do so but that doesnt mean I have to take you seriously.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 08:44 AM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
My Sega Master System, NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast & Wii all still work fine.

My sons Sega Genesis Slim (or whatever it's called) Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Advance SP & PSP all still work fine.

When did it become acceptable for video game consoles to break like this?
I loved the sega systems, they were bulletproof but its not quite fair to compare systems of that genre to this. What seems to be the main issue is heat reduction. These next gen consoles have larger power supplies and graphic processing units and they generate a significant amount more heat than the old cartridge systems.

Seems the original xbox360 was rushed/engineered poorly and had a higher than liked failure rate. For all sense and purposes now though the new units are solid and don't share the same issues.

Lots of fanboys from PS3 look at this and jump all over it. I had 2 separate PS2's fail on me (but not because of heat issues).

Old
08-18-2009, 08:57 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
They are a business, and a pretty smart one at that. I highly doubt that they are selling units with a 50%+ failure rate and offering warranty services on them. It would cost them a ridiculous amount just repairing and sending the units back out. It isnt cost effective. These guys arent stupid, they wouldnt do business that way.

I think the scenario is more like Mayday mentioned where it's only the people who got screwed feel the urge to vote giving you a very distorted picture of the real story.

But if you really want to believe that a major electronics manufacturer is selling a product that has a 50% failure rate then by all means do so but that doesnt mean I have to take you seriously.
Thing is, that isn't the current failure rate, it's more so an average now that the 15-20% models exist. The original models are like 100%, it's an actual flaw in the design that will eventually cause it to defect. So when you compare all the launch models which were 100% to the models which were 75%, 50%, 25%, 20%, well it probably does average out somewhere to about 50%, but over time that # will get smaller and smaller. Obviously they are making money, they don't have to give you an entirely new 360 when it breaks, just a refurb, that's how they keep making $ and keep honoring their warranties. If it were a new 360 each time an old one broke I'd agree that no money can be made there, but that isn't the case they're just refurbs most of the time.

That having been said, as newer more reliable versions come out, that % will drop more and more. As some people have said, the new ones are only 15-20%, the more of those ones they sell the lower the overall average becomes, and eventually when they make one that is less then 10% all will be OK.

Old
08-18-2009, 08:59 AM
neofury*

Quote:
I loved the sega systems, they were bulletproof but its not quite fair to compare systems of that genre to this. What seems to be the main issue is heat reduction. These next gen consoles have larger power supplies and graphic processing units and they generate a significant amount more heat than the old cartridge systems.

Seems the original xbox360 was rushed/engineered poorly and had a higher than liked failure rate. For all sense and purposes now though the new units are solid and don't share the same issues.

Lots of fanboys from PS3 look at this and jump all over it. I had 2 separate PS2's fail on me (but not because of heat issues).
Not denying they all have defect rates and just like some people have a launch day 360 they play all the time that hasn't defected, some people have had 2 wii's or 2 ps3's break on them despite the lower defect rate. Obviously it can happen, the first Ps3 I bought was defective right out of the box. (All though had bestbuy not put a ps3 some other customer had already returned BACK onto the shelf, that never would've happened)

Anyways point is, the ps3 power block is built into the ps3, the 360 power block isn't, and yet it's the 360 having issues due to heating, that puzzles me.

Old
08-18-2009, 09:27 AM
VelvetJones

Quote:

So many ways to read into that I agree you never know.

First I would say anyone that anyone that gets that magazine plays their units way more than the average, and thus it's pretty easy to say that the defect rate will be higher. Also I think the 360 crowd is younger and contain many idiots carrying around their units in backpacks and it's obvious to see many broke them on their own just for being stupid and dropping/moving them. Don't move your consoles people!

But then you can see that over 40% of those surveyed got repeat breaks screwing the numbers lower as they are only counted as one fault per owner. Each break probably could be counted as multiple owners increasing that 54% number.

And again if people say that only angry owners voted or ps3 fanboys fudged the number then why did only 3% of those angry owners say they wouldn't buy another MS console. That number would be way up.

Note: my 360 never died.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 09:44 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post

Read this thread. People are on their 7th 360. 1 in 2 doesn't seem all that ludicrous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
How ludicrous could it be what with some people on their 5th 6th or 7th xbox. I mean what are the odds of that happening if the defect rate is 25% or lower. Seriously somebody do the math, what are the odds your 360 defects 7x if it's a 25% defect rate when compared with 55%. Obviously it's just not likely at all that you would have 7 defective models if it was only a 1/4 chance, that's almost as likely as winning the lottery.
So one guy is on his 7th. If that's 6 Xbox's out of millions sold. Not saying he's the only one, but if they sold, let's say 10 million Xbox's, and you don't realize that stats are REALLY limited samples and quantities, than you're assuming that 5.4 million Xbox's will fail.

Plus, yes it's rediculous, but when you ship it away for repair, do they send you a new Xbox, or repair the thing, or just gut it and put in new parts. My guess is the repair standards aren't up to the quality standards of the current new machines, so I'd expect that "repaired" ones will likely fail again.

Like I said I didn't read the report because its blocked at work

Last edited by JLHockeyKnight: 08-18-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old
08-18-2009, 10:07 AM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOldJohnnyRay View Post
It is nothing short of a miracle that Microsoft still manages to sell 360's....
Or is it because the competing consoles are so bad that people are willing to put up the with the high failure rates of the 360?

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Gooch

Quote:
So one guy is on his 7th. If that's 6 Xbox's out of millions sold. Not saying he's the only one, but if they sold, let's say 10 million Xbox's, and you don't realize that stats are REALLY limited samples and quantities, than you're assuming that 5.4 million Xbox's will fail.

Plus, yes it's rediculous, but when you ship it away for repair, do they send you a new Xbox, or repair the thing, or just gut it and put in new parts. My guess is the repair standards aren't up to the quality standards of the current new machines, so I'd expect that "repaired" ones will likely fail again.

Like I said I didn't read the report because its blocked at work
from what I heard is that if you send in an xbox to get repaired they basically do a bandaid fix thus why people who typically have had their xbox go on them have had it multiple times while others have never had it happen yet.

I think they basically just keep recycling the refurbished parts or something.

There has to be a rhyme or reason to it, companies like that don't make it a habit to throw money away. If it was more cost effective to replace a constantly repaired older system with a brand new one that wont need to be repaired again in the future I am sure they would do it.

That being said, if I was someone with one of those original xbox's that had to be repaired multiple times I would probably be on the phone demanding that they ship me a new console so I don't experience that problem again.

Old
08-18-2009, 10:16 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
from what I heard is that if you send in an xbox to get repaired they basically do a bandaid fix thus why people who typically have had their xbox go on them have had it multiple times while others have never had it happen yet.

I think they basically just keep recycling the refurbished parts or something.

There has to be a rhyme or reason to it, companies like that don't make it a habit to throw money away. If it was more cost effective to replace a constantly repaired older system with a brand new one that wont need to be repaired again in the future I am sure they would do it.

That being said, if I was someone with one of those original xbox's that had to be repaired multiple times I would probably be on the phone demanding that they ship me a new console so I don't experience that problem again.
Oh I'd give it the 3 strike rule. After that they should be willing to replace the whole thing if they want to keep me as a customer.