HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Danny Briere?

Old
08-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Raptactics29

vCash: 500
Danny Briere?

Just wondering how the injury is feeling and if he's gonna play the wing this year? I have a feeling he could have a big year, what do you guys think?

Raptactics29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 11:01 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I think he's all healed finally. And yeah he will probably play wing and hopefully will have a great year

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Raptactics29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I think he's all healed finally. And yeah he will probably play wing and hopefully will have a great year
Do you see PPG? Playing with Jeff or with Mike?

Old
08-13-2009, 11:06 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptactics29 View Post
Yeah I'd say he'll be around a PPG. It's not clear who he'll play with yet. Could be Gagne and Richards, could be hartnell and Carter, or could Giroux and someone else

I have 8888 posts weird

Last edited by HoverCarle*: 08-13-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old
08-13-2009, 11:12 AM
chaosof99*

At least Danny seems confident and knows what is expected of him.

Quote:
"People will never say it to your face," Briere was saying the other day. "I'm aware. I think I'm a realist. I'm aware of the contract and what that means in terms of last year. I think a lot of people maybe don't quite understand the difference between being injured and not living up to the contract.

"But I'm not really worried about it because I'm confident that last year is behind me and I can now focus on being the player I'm supposed to be in Philadelphia. It's not really important what happened in the past. It's what you do in the moment. That's how hockey and sports operates. It's what can you do for me now."

"Now" is a month away. Remaining in South Jersey all spring and summer, Briere said he has worked harder than any time since he was breaking in to prepare for this season's training camp, which officially begins on Sept. 13. The Flyers lost Joffrey Lupul in the Chris Pronger trade and couldn't re-sign popular Mike Knuble because of cap issues that Briere's contract have a lot to do with. That's 52 goals that will have to be made up somewhere, and the two leading candidates are Briere and second-year center Claude Giroux.

A positive guy, Briere said the Flyers are showing "great confidence in players like myself and Claude." There are about 6.5 million reasons, of course, why that's not really the case.

Fans will be patient with Giroux. They will expect things from Briere.

Immediately. And he knows it.

"I remember early in my career when I was in the minors or I would clear waivers and nobody wanted me, it was a different kind of pressure," he said. "It was a different feeling where I was disappointed. I didn't know if I would have another chance at getting back to the NHL. This time it's more frustration because you want to prove to the people that the contract you signed was worth it."

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 08-13-2009 at 02:29 PM.
chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
"I'm aware. I think I'm a realist. I'm aware of the contract and what that means in terms of last year. I think a lot of people maybe don't quite understand the difference between being injured and not living up to the contract.
Agree with that completely. We need to post that in every Briere topic just so things start off right. =P

I expect Briere to play with Richards and Gagne at some point in the season, if not the start of the season. That's the line I see him best on. A Hartnell, Carter, Giroux line would be pretty sick to I think.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 02:05 PM
DinkusMaximus

He'll never play up to that contract though. He's proven that he's a 70-75 pt producer season after season. He had one exceptional year with a team that had the right pieces come together while other teams in the league struggled after the lockout with the new rules. To me it's the Biron contract all over again. You can pay the guy $4 million all you want, but that doesn't mean he's going to play up to the level of a $4 million dollar goaltender. I hope Briere plays up to his contract, but I just don't see it happening. Am I mad the Flyers overpaid him? A little, but at the same time I understand it was a major step in turning the team around into a contender again as fast as possible.

DinkusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 02:26 PM
ugiswrong

Briere must earn his money in the playoffs, hopefully by helping to create a deadly power play.

ugiswrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Kaktus*

Remaining in South Jersey all spring and summer, Briere said he has worked harder than any time since he was breaking in to prepare for this season's training camp, which officially begins on Sept. 13.

I like the sound of that!!! Worked his ass off all summer long!!! I am excited!!! I want to see 35-40 goals over 90pts. It's time to back it up. 6.5M is a LOT of money!!!

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 07:23 PM
SheroWorship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Remaining in South Jersey all spring and summer, Briere said he has worked harder than any time since he was breaking in to prepare for this season's training camp, which officially begins on Sept. 13.

I like the sound of that!!! Worked his ass off all summer long!!! I am excited!!! I want to see 35-40 goals over 90pts. It's time to back it up. 6.5M is a LOT of money!!!
I'd settle for 25 goals and 50 assists IF he's plus 50 at Season's end.

SheroWorship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 07:27 PM
HoverCarle*

Imagine our team if he got 90 points

Old
08-13-2009, 07:30 PM
mercury

Quote:

I'd be happy with 75 points in 75 games. And 20 points in 20 games in the playoffs.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 07:31 PM
sg12lw

he will lead our team in points
he will dominate the playoffs
he will live up the the contract

...how do ya like that

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2009, 07:45 PM
UseYourAllusion

I've said it before, if Danny plays a full season, he gets 85 points on this team easy.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 12:14 AM
DinkusMaximus

Quote:

I just don't understand how anyone can realistically expect this to happen with the amount of ice time he'll get with the amount of talent we have on this team. At center he needs to compete with Carter and Richards for time. At RW he'll get more time, but still not at a level he did in Buffalo.

DinkusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 01:06 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinkusMaximus View Post
I just don't understand how anyone can realistically expect this to happen with the amount of ice time he'll get with the amount of talent we have on this team. At center he needs to compete with Carter and Richards for time. At RW he'll get more time, but still not at a level he did in Buffalo.
But he's also a proven playmaker and if they use him on the wing, he's going to be deadly. As a center, you also have to be the defensive conscience on the line. Briere is a terrible defensive player. At least with him moving to the wing, it gives him that opportunity to really generate offense. I'm thinking he's going to have a monster year, but the key will have to be consistent linemates and no more 13 different linemates in one season........

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 01:39 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:

No wonder he's so jacked...

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 02:03 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptactics29 View Post
I would probably say it would be like this for the PP lines:

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Timonen-Pronger

Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
Coburn-Carle

Man, that first PP line would be one hell of a scoring group.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 04:51 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Stays healthy all year, has the same linemates all year, He will easily hit 80 points. Probably closer to 90. In his first year he put up 72 points with 13 different linemates. I think that was quite impressive.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 08:16 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Stays healthy all year, has the same linemates all year, He will easily hit 80 points. Probably closer to 90. In his first year he put up 72 points with 13 different linemates. I think that was quite impressive.
I was all for trading Briere to let us keep Lupul and Knuble, but since that didn't work out, I hope Danny wins the Art Ross, on Carter's wing as Carter wins the Richard, Pronger wins the Norris, Emery the Vezina, Carcillo the Lady Byng, and JVR the Calder and the Conn Smythe (for scoring 19 goals in an SC win.....).

Hey, it's the offseason, we can all afford to be a positive.

Forgot, Stevens the Jack Adams too!

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 08:20 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I was all for trading Briere to let us keep Lupul and Knuble, but since that didn't work out, I hope Danny wins the Art Ross, on Carter's wing as Carter wins the Richard, Pronger wins the Norris, Emery the Vezina, Carcillo the Lady Byng, and JVR the Calder and the Conn Smythe (for scoring 19 goals in an SC win.....).

Hey, it's the offseason, we can all afford to be a positive.

Forgot, Stevens the Jack Adams too!
That's preposterous.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Raptactics29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I would probably say it would be like this for the PP lines:

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Timonen-Pronger

Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
Coburn-Carle

Man, that first PP line would be one hell of a scoring group.
Deadly..

Well, thanks to all.. I just made a trade in my keeper league for him along with Frolik for Spezza.. really happy with the deal and glad you guys are confident in Danny, I am too!!

Old
08-14-2009, 11:20 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Considering that he trained with World's Strongest Man competitors in the past, that's really a feat. I remember seeing a video of him going through his summer workout when he was with the Sabres, and it was amazing.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 01:11 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Considering that he trained with World's Strongest Man competitors in the past, that's really a feat. I remember seeing a video of him going through his summer workout when he was with the Sabres, and it was amazing.
I think he can easily say now if someone messes with a friend of his, "I know a guy who knows a guy." . Ahhh randomness. But yeah, I have a lot of confidence in him this year.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 11:41 PM
fire bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinkusMaximus View Post
Briere has the potential to get more ice time then Carter... and I don't even think it's that far fetched. Briere at his best can score, set up great plays and, while not great on defense, much better than Carter. Carter can score... that's it, and towards the end of last season and the playoffs he wasn't even doing that.

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote