HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Kessel still a possibility? No.

Old
09-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Kessel is better than Williams and Brown has been on the left side many times. It would not be that big of a deal.
Brown maybe but he's not better than Williams imo. Funny how one good year makes you great.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Kings can't afford to trade JJ.
The Kings deepest position right now is on defense. And as of right now Johnson has been the biggest disappoint in terms of reaching his potential. I would trade him before Doughty, Voinov, Teubert or Hickey.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Brown maybe but he's not better than Williams imo. Funny how one good year makes you great.
Yeah, I agree. 2 good seasons in an 8 year career is much better than 1 good season in a 3 year career.

Old
09-13-2009, 07:15 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
The Kings deepest position right now is on defense. And as of right now Johnson has been the biggest disappoint in terms of reaching his potential. I would trade him before Doughty, Voinov, Teubert or Hickey.
I disagree with D being the deepest. No one in the system is ready to log the minutes JJ is expected to this season.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
I disagree with D being the deepest. No one in the system is ready to log the minutes JJ is expected to this season.
Possibly....I guess we will find that out during training camp. If Hickey or Voinov are as good as people say then there are at least two players who could fill in that void.

Old
09-13-2009, 08:29 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Yeah, I agree. 2 good seasons in an 8 year career is much better than 1 good season in a 3 year career.
I was just about to say the samething. JW is ridiculously overrated around here, and I'm always amazed how people would rather trade Frolov then Williams.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 08:45 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I was just about to say the samething. JW is ridiculously overrated around here, and I'm always amazed how people would rather trade Frolov then Williams.
Who are these people, and when can I slap one?

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2009, 09:07 PM
onlyalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I would rather pay the picks than give up Jack. But I have to admit, if we were to replace Stoll with someone outside the current organization, Kessel would be at the top of my list.
If the Kings are going for Kessel, I agree with just give up picks over Jack. It will make the "draft party" really boring, and it would be our luck that LA would be the location of the 2010 draft. I know nothing about the players in the draft next year yet. I think we still have all of ours plus 2nd from Philly and 5th from SJ.
Kings need to say someday the farm system is good and grab someone, if that person can insure the Kings a playoff spot.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 12:18 AM
hangons

we also have an extra third round pick next year. If we sign him to an offer sheet we and got him we would have to give up a #1, #2, and #3 next season... I would do that in a heartbeat.

hangons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 12:33 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangons View Post
we also have an extra third round pick next year. If we sign him to an offer sheet we and got him we would have to give up a #1, #2, and #3 next season... I would do that in a heartbeat.
And another 2nd. If we made the deal, I believe we would be picking in every round other than the first.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 12:39 AM
TonySCV
Push to the 8th Tee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
That statement validated the next statement. The individual values of Kessel and Johnson are different in this case because Boston is at a severe disadvantage. He is merely pointing out that Dean would recognize that and not give up Johnson for Kessel because Boston is limping right now. No sense in helping them out by taking a high potential $4-5 million (offer sheet value) forward and giving them a high potential $1 million defenseman regardless if Johnson isn't equivalent to Kessel since cap space is key for Boston right now. They are going to lose a prized forward, this year or the next, why not profit off of their misfortune?
Bingo... not to mention DL is probably forced to overvalue Johnson a bit considering the minutes-eating role he's going to be playing for us this year. We don't have any defenseman in the system that can drop in and replace Johnson and as anyone who listens to DL knows, he is adamant about not creating holes he can't immediately fill with = or > talent.

The younger D need more seasoning. I can see DL making a trade for Kessel... I'd be very surprised if Johnson was involved.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 02:50 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Bingo... not to mention DL is probably forced to overvalue Johnson a bit considering the minutes-eating role he's going to be playing for us this year. We don't have any defenseman in the system that can drop in and replace Johnson and as anyone who listens to DL knows, he is adamant about not creating holes he can't immediately fill with = or > talent.

The younger D need more seasoning. I can see DL making a trade for Kessel... I'd be very surprised if Johnson was involved.

- T
Really? Nobody here could have predicted that Doughty would have played as many minutes as he did in his first year. I think you are overrating Johnson while simultaneously underrating what the other young defensemen can bring. Johnson is not irreplaceable. Especially when you consider the Kings did just fine without him for the 1st half of last season.

Old
09-14-2009, 08:09 AM
Kingler

Quote:
I really don't understand the logic here. Johnson was hyped as franchise dman, of course he has not met that but he has shown flash of being able to become top pairing and potential all-star caliber dman.

On the other hand Voinov, Teubert, and Hickey has a total of zero NHL games combined. Their NHL projection is far inferior to Jack's at the same stage of their career. So Hickey, for example, is projected top pairing but he could very well end up being 5-6 dman. And Teubert could turn out to be Denis Gauthier-type player....Yet many people rather keep them than Johnson simply because of the hype.

Seems like prospects value are so much inflated until they finally step onto NHL ice...then in the majority of the cases, their value dramatically decreases.

At this point I rather trade Hickey+Moller for Kessel than Johnson straight up.

Kingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 08:33 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post
I really don't understand the logic here. Johnson was hyped as franchise dman, of course he has not met that but he has shown flash of being able to become top pairing and potential all-star caliber dman.

On the other hand Voinov, Teubert, and Hickey has a total of zero NHL games combined. Their NHL projection is far inferior to Jack's at the same stage of their career. So Hickey, for example, is projected top pairing but he could very well end up being 5-6 dman. And Teubert could turn out to be Denis Gauthier-type player....Yet many people rather keep them than Johnson simply because of the hype.

Seems like prospects value are so much inflated until they finally step onto NHL ice...then in the majority of the cases, their value dramatically decreases.

At this point I rather trade Hickey+Moller for Kessel than Johnson straight up.
So....using that logic you would have traded Doughty last year instead of Johnson because he had 0 NHL experience? I think Johnson has a long way to go to be considered a top 4 defenseman let a lone a franchise defenseman.

Old
09-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Kingler

Quote:
So....using that logic you would have traded Doughty last year instead of Johnson because he had 0 NHL experience? I think Johnson has a long way to go to be considered a top 4 defenseman let a lone a franchise defenseman.
Ah you break my logic. Anyways, Doughty was projected franchise dman, was impressive from rookie camp in very single game he plays. Which is much different than player like Hickey.

People are very impressed with Hickey, and I got to wonder, what is so impressive that they would rank him above Johnson.

Was he projected higher than Johnson was? No, I don't think anyone could be anymore hyped up than JJ. Is he cheaper? Well yes, but by 100k (if Hickey make the club). Has he done anything that would suggest he's just the real deal can't miss player (ala Doughty)? No, he has been standout in prospect camp but even in his 1st game against Pheonix rookie team, he was up and down. And sure enough he did not make the Kings team early like Moller or Simmonds...this is with how bad our defense was the past few years.

Yet people would rather see Johnson go than Hickey. So what did Johnson do? Well, he was injured last year and yet came back and end up leading the Kings defense in goal. On more than a handful of games last year, he was the Kings best defenseman. People say he's greedy but, guess what, he took a bad deal so he could prove himself. So I don't know why Hickey is preferred, if someone can enlighten me then plz do.

Kingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 10:57 AM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post
Ah you break my logic. Anyways, Doughty was projected franchise dman, was impressive from rookie camp in very single game he plays. Which is much different than player like Hickey.

People are very impressed with Hickey, and I got to wonder, what is so impressive that they would rank him above Johnson.

Was he projected higher than Johnson was? No, I don't think anyone could be anymore hyped up than JJ. Is he cheaper? Well yes, but by 100k (if Hickey make the club). Has he done anything that would suggest he's just the real deal can't miss player (ala Doughty)? No, he has been standout in prospect camp but even in his 1st game against Pheonix rookie team, he was up and down. And sure enough he did not make the Kings team early like Moller or Simmonds...this is with how bad our defense was the past few years.

Yet people would rather see Johnson go than Hickey. So what did Johnson do? Well, he was injured last year and yet came back and end up leading the Kings defense in goal. On more than a handful of games last year, he was the Kings best defenseman. People say he's greedy but, guess what, he took a bad deal so he could prove himself. So I don't know why Hickey is preferred, if someone can enlighten me then plz do.
that's capt ron ur speaking too, i wouldnt get too caught up in his claims if i were you.

for the record at face value, i would NOT trade johnson before hickey, tuebert, voynov, etc.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 11:00 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
And with Stoll hurt and Quincey in Colorado the PP QB on the point opposite Doughty becomes somewhat of a question mark. I'm hoping Hickey makes the team to give the team some more puck rushing skills on the blue line. If he doesn't, if Stoll's injury lingers and Jack Johnson continues to struggle offensively then the Kings could have one of the worst PP's in the NHL.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 08:04 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Is Kessel still a possibility?

Nope.

Traded to Toronto.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=291601

I would have paid 2 1sts and a 2nd in a heartbeat. I wonder if Dean was ever involved at all.

Old
09-18-2009, 08:08 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:

Teubert has BUST written all over him. He's the next Denis Gauthier IMO.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 08:10 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Nope.

Traded to Toronto.

I would have paid 2 1sts and a 2nd in a heartbeat. I wonder if Dean was ever involved at all.
I don't ever see Lombardi trading a 1st round pick let alone 2 of them. I say no way he was ever involved. Besides, Kessel is Boston's Cammalleri. Wanted too much $$$ and has baggage.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 08:33 PM
kingsfan28
Its A Kingspiracy !

Quote:
Nope.

Traded to Toronto.

For Kessel? Dude, you throw those kinds of picks for elite talent, not a guy who has one 35 goal season under his belt and is a bona fide prima dona. I guess this means the Leafs re-build is over.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 08:37 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
For Kessel? Dude, you throw those kinds of picks for elite talent, not a guy who has one 35 goal season under his belt and is a bona fide prima dona. I guess this means the Leafs re-build is over.
Considering it me being anxious to add a real goal scorer/shooter.

I think its a stupid trade for the Leafs, and would have been a stupid trade for us as well any year before this year.

At this point in our rebuild, I'm not as worried about picks as I am the roster.

Smyth-Kopitar-Kessel
Purcell-Stoll-Williams
Frolov-Handzus-Brown
Clune-Moller-Simmonds.

That's a damn good forward line-up for my money.

But I will say 5.whatever million is too much. So that would actually bother me more than the picks.

Old
09-18-2009, 08:38 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Nope.

Traded to Toronto.

You forgot to include the 27 million dollar contract.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 08:39 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
You forgot to include the 27 million dollar contract.
That's funny. I just edited my above post to say that's the real overpayment as you posted this.

Old
09-18-2009, 08:43 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
That's funny. I just edited my above post to say that's the real overpayment as you posted this.
Yeah I saw that. Anyway, I have a feeling Burke will look back on those picks and cry. Or maybe I just want him to...

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote