HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Brian Boyle eager for fresh start

Old
08-18-2009, 03:18 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Brian Boyle eager for fresh start

Brian Boyle spoke to a Boston paper about his new opportunity with the Rangers

Quote:
Boyle did finish the season well, scoring three goals in the Kings’ final eight games while releasing a bit of frustration in a pair of fights. He thought he’d be carrying that momentum back to Los Angeles this year; instead he’ll try to build on it under ever-demanding coach John Tortorella (he’ll be assisted by Marshfield’s Mike Sullivan), who enters his first full season in New York after replacing Tom Renney in February.

“It’s going to be an intense camp – everybody knows that,” Boyle said. “I’m excited. That’s pushed me the whole summer. I feel great – probably the best shape I’ve been in in my life.

“I’ve got a lot to prove. This is definitely the most important year in my career to date. I want to get over the hump, be an everyday (NHL) guy. To be able to play well in New York is something a lot of people would want to do, so this is a great opportunity.”
http://www.patriotledger.com/sports/...-with-new-team

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 03:26 PM
drcameraman

I highly doubt he makes the team outta camp.

drcameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 03:29 PM
blue2noise

I think the 4th line center spot is his to lose

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 03:30 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
I bet he will. The Rangers need size down the middle and Boyle provides it. He can skate pretty well for someone his size and he is a physical force on the ice. He will definitely make this team.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

IMO he's a lock.

We wouldn't have given up a 3rd rounder for nothing.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 03:34 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
I think the 4th line center spot is his to lose
+1....

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 03:40 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcameraman View Post
I highly doubt he makes the team outta camp.
I highly doubt he doesn't.

08-18-2009, 03:47 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

i just hope i dont use the words Brian Boyle and sucks in the same sentence this season.

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 03:50 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
I bet he will. The Rangers need size down the middle and Boyle provides it. He can skate pretty well for someone his size and he is a physical force on the ice. He will definitely make this team.
I've heard from fans of his previous team that he's not that physical on the ice....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 03:56 PM
The Thomas J.*

I agree the 4th line spot is his too lose, plus he has somthing to prove. I expect at the very least a strong start out of the gate ala Vooroos, question will be can he sustain it or will he flame out like Vooroos did last year.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 04:26 PM
eco's bones

Boyle possesses some of the same traits as Antropov--huge size, not that great a skater, good hand skills and shot. He's younger and more physical. He will fight 4 maybe 5 times a year--sometimes he will even fight well. Not sure he will play out as well as Antropov but he's certainly worth giving a good look at. I could see him getting pwp time just to put a big body in front of the net. He does have pretty good hands--he might score a few if they do.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 04:33 PM
AlwaysARanger
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
i just hope i dont use the words Brian Boyle and sucks in the same sentence this season.
Dont't be too optimistic. Almost every player will be connected with that word during the season. We are Rangers-fans after all

AlwaysARanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 05:25 PM
NYR Viper

I have said it many times, I think he will open some eyes this season and I expect to see him up on the 3rd line before the end of the season.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 05:58 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

His 2007-08 season was pretty impressive. Shows how tough it is to move from the AHL to the NHL. I wonder if he may eventually make more sense as a wing.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 06:11 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
His 2007-08 season was pretty impressive. Shows how tough it is to move from the AHL to the NHL. I wonder if he may eventually make more sense as a wing.
I truly think that is where his future lies. His size will help him along the walls and he can go to the front of the net which is where he will find the most success.

Old
08-18-2009, 06:41 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Bang em hard Brian

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 06:50 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
If he can skate, win a draw, and lay a good hit the 4th line spot is his. Arnason isn't much to shake a stick at.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 06:51 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I have said it many times, I think he will open some eyes this season and I expect to see him up on the 3rd line before the end of the season.
If Boyle is on the 3rd line, it might be more of a sign of things going wrong then going right.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 07:07 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
If Boyle is on the 3rd line, it might be more of a sign of things going wrong then going right.
I disagree, if he gets comfortable I think he could add a lot to a 3rd line.

Old
08-18-2009, 07:32 PM
mysteryman

Kings Fan Here

My 2 cents on Boyle

I didn't think he got a real fair shake during his stint with the team. There was a stretch where he was potting almost a goal a game on a horrible Kings team and for some reason still got sent back to the minors.

Pros- Great Hands around the net. For a huge guy he is very good around the net with a very accurate shot. Will throw the occasional huge hit.

Cons- He is not a quick enough or good enough skater to play as a top 6 guy, the problem is he by that same token he is not really a banger per se and isnt skilled enough Defensivley to be a bonafide 3rd line checking guy. Pretty much leaves him as a 4th liner barring amazing improvement in one of the aforementioned areas.

One other area that hurt Boyle last season is that he basically got outplayed in camp by Oscar Moller and Wayne Simmonds who were both longshots to make the team when camp opened so its not totally unfair to say he came to camp unprepared. He was pretty much penciled in as a starter when camp opened and got beat out by 2 19year olds.

Best of luck to him, if he can find a niche and maybe get some chemistry with line mates he could be a diamond in the rough. Good guy as well....he never moped or complained through it all so to that extent I always thought he had pretty solid character. Certainly enough upside to warrent a 3rd rder.

Last edited by mysteryman: 08-18-2009 at 07:37 PM.
mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 07:44 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryman View Post
My 2 cents on Boyle

I didn't think he got a real fair shake during his stint with the team. There was a stretch where he was potting almost a goal a game on a horrible Kings team and for some reason still got sent back to the minors.

Pros- Great Hands around the net. For a huge guy he is very good around the net with a very accurate shot. Will throw the occasional huge hit.

Cons- He is not a quick enough or good enough skater to play as a top 6 guy, the problem is he by that same token he is not really a banger per se and isnt skilled enough Defensivley to be a bonafide 3rd line checking guy. Pretty much leaves him as a 4th liner barring amazing improvement in one of the aforementioned areas.

One other area that hurt Boyle last season is that he basically got outplayed in camp by Oscar Moller and Wayne Simmonds who were both longshots to make the team when camp opened so its not totally unfair to say he came to camp unprepared. He was pretty much penciled in as a starter when camp opened and got beat out by 2 19year olds.

Best of luck to him, if he can find a niche and maybe get some chemistry with line mates he could be a diamond in the rough. Good guy as well....he never moped or complained through it all so to that extent I always thought he had pretty solid character. Certainly enough upside to warrent a 3rd rder.
The Kings are one of my "teams" that I try to follow almost as well as I do the Rangers. I think this is an extremely fair and reasonable assessment of Boyle judging by what I've seen and read. I'm excited to see what he can do this season, he certainly sounds motivated.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 08:20 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
IMO he's a lock.

We wouldn't have given up a 3rd rounder for nothing.
Same way I feel unless he just has a beyond awful training camp. Then again, this is the Rangers and have made head scratching moves before...

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 08:33 PM
AXN

I found this video on him. He did manage 31 goals for Machester and scored 4 goals in 8 games before last year. He could be as high as the third line center since he played more NHL games than Anisimov. He is also big and can shoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCOa_0sG8MA

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 08:37 PM
FOXHOUND*

This whole team is looking for a fresh start

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 08:42 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
One of his best attributes is his incredibly quick and deceptive release. He can put a lot of power with seemingly little effort. Most of his 07-08 goals were evidence of that.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote