HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why I can't be a Rangers fan.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-18-2009, 09:30 PM
  #1
VladNYC*
 
VladNYC*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 6,753
vCash: 500
Why I can't be a Rangers fan.

I have lived in NYC for the last 20 years and I am a die hard NYer. I honestly think it is the best place in America and the epitome of Americana. I am a fan of all the local teams from the other sports but i just can not get into the Rangers and there are two reasons for it.

1) The MSG announcers are sooo boring they might as well be doing golf play by play. They are emotionless and uninteresting.

2) The MSG home crowd seems like they are at a funeral. The whole place is dead. If it wasn't for the goal song, all you would hear is the whispers of business deals being discussed in the seats.

I watch A LOT of hockey, both NHL and KHL and i want to be a rangers fan but i just can't get into the games. The only ones that are watchable are the away games on the other teams broadcast. Is any one else like me?

VladNYC* is offline  
Old
08-18-2009, 09:32 PM
  #2
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 26,903
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide


Joe is debateable but Sam? CMON

FromTheSide is online now  
Old
08-18-2009, 09:34 PM
  #3
Ryan52
Registered User
 
Ryan52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 529
vCash: 500
then dont be a rangers fan
be a fan of another team you can watch alot

Ryan52 is offline  
Old
08-18-2009, 09:34 PM
  #4
Abooch68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,353
vCash: 500
You shouldn't even consider being a fan of any team if that is your basis which your wrong on both...

Abooch68 is offline  
Old
08-18-2009, 09:35 PM
  #5
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr
 
captain9nyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hammonton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 946
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to captain9nyr
1. No.

2. If you sit in the purple seats, it's a high priced area of the building and is largely corporate, but you're insane if you think the people that are sitting there are talking business deals. They're there to watch hockey. They'll talk the business the next day.

3. I've been a Rangers fan my entire life and I can't imagine not being one. Odds are you're not going to have much support to your argument because it's mid-August and we're on a hockey message board talking about the Rangers, so I'm guessing the people here don't have trouble being fans of the team for any reason.

captain9nyr is offline  
Old
08-18-2009, 09:39 PM
  #6
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
We don't want you.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline  
Old
08-18-2009, 09:40 PM
  #7
Abooch68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,353
vCash: 500
I really don't understand how your basis of being a fan of a TEAM has pretty much nothing to do with the TEAM...

Abooch68 is offline  
Old
08-18-2009, 09:40 PM
  #8
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
I have lived in NYC for the last 20 years and I am a die hard NYer. I honestly think it is the best place in America and the epitome of Americana. I am a fan of all the local teams from the other sports but i just can not get into the Rangers and there are two reasons for it.

1) The MSG announcers are sooo boring they might as well be doing golf play by play. They are emotionless and uninteresting.

2) The MSG home crowd seems like they are at a funeral. The whole place is dead. If it wasn't for the goal song, all you would hear is the whispers of business deals being discussed in the seats.

I watch A LOT of hockey, both NHL and KHL and i want to be a rangers fan but i just can't get into the games. The only ones that are watchable are the away games on the other teams broadcast. Is any one else like me?
Who gives a **** about the announcers or the decibel level of the fans ??? Try rooting for the fellas in the red, white a blue uniforms skating around the ice Vlad. Or...
root for Buffalo... Rick Jeanerette is a raging lunatic behind the mike and their fans are loud as hell.. Wouldn't want to drive up there to watch them play in Feb though..

Roseanne Barr and Fran Drescher could do the games on MSG and I would still root like hell for the Rangers...

HAPPY HOUR is offline  
Old
08-18-2009, 09:43 PM
  #9
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
I have lived in NYC for the last 20 years and I am a die hard NYer. I honestly think it is the best place in America and the epitome of Americana. I am a fan of all the local teams from the other sports but i just can not get into the Rangers and there are two reasons for it.

1) The MSG announcers are sooo boring they might as well be doing golf play by play. They are emotionless and uninteresting.

2) The MSG home crowd seems like they are at a funeral. The whole place is dead. If it wasn't for the goal song, all you would hear is the whispers of business deals being discussed in the seats.

I watch A LOT of hockey, both NHL and KHL and i want to be a rangers fan but i just can't get into the games. The only ones that are watchable are the away games on the other teams broadcast. Is any one else like me?

huh



1. renney system

2. renney system

i may be messed up, but i can actually understand what you are saying. i blame both of your concerns on tom renney hockey.

all i can say brother is give it a whole season of slats hockey and turn the sound down on the tv like i do. i dont need announcers to tell me what im seeing. i can actually enjoy the game more when there isnt sam and joe in the background saying stupid stuff.

give it another go this year but i feel your pain.

offdacrossbar is offline  
Old
08-18-2009, 09:48 PM
  #10
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
huh



1. renney system

2. renney system

i may be messed up, but i can actually understand what you are saying. i blame both of your concerns on tom renney hockey.

all i can say brother is give it a whole season of slats hockey and turn the sound down on the tv like i do. i dont need announcers to tell me what im seeing. i can actually enjoy the game more when there isnt sam and joe in the background saying stupid stuff.

give it another go this year but i feel your pain.
What about The Brian Trottier system or the Ron Low system? Then theres always John Mucklers nightmare in NY. Funny not one of these guys got us a sniff of the playoffs.

HAPPY HOUR is offline  
Old
08-18-2009, 09:50 PM
  #11
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,752
vCash: 500
MSG has one of the most livliest crowds around....

Ih8theislanders is offline  
Old
08-18-2009, 09:52 PM
  #12
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
MSG has one of the most livliest crowds around....
I always thought so to. When I had seasons in the early 90's it was real loud. The 2 or 3 games I go to a year now have been great too. But for some reason when watching on MSG it does sound pretty dead...

HAPPY HOUR is offline  
Old
08-18-2009, 09:52 PM
  #13
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
What about The Brian Trottier system or the Ron Low system? Then theres always John Mucklers nightmare in NY. Funny not one of these guys got us a sniff of the playoffs.
yeah but never ever have i watched ny ranger games and been so disgusted with the type of play as the last 2 yrs under tr.

i mean seriously fall asleep from boredom, unwatchable awful hockey.

i fact, last year, im sorry to say, i turned games off.

there, i said it. i am ashamed......

offdacrossbar is offline  
Old
08-18-2009, 09:52 PM
  #14
SomE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,831
vCash: 500
I don't think anyone cares if you are a fan of the Rangers or not.

SomE is offline  
Old
08-18-2009, 09:54 PM
  #15
Dr. Ogrodnick
Registered User
 
Dr. Ogrodnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,589
vCash: 500
The MSG broadcast never picks up the arena sound well. I have been to plenty games where the crowd has been rocking, only to go home and watch Rangers in 60 and not hear a peep.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline  
Old
08-18-2009, 09:55 PM
  #16
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,938
vCash: 500
If you think MSG sounds like a funeral, then you haven't been to the right games. Obviously the crowd may be a bit more quiet when they play teams like Nashville, Minny, etc. But the crowd is always hopping against division rivals, and against most Eastern Conference teams as well, and the crowd is at its best in the playoffs.

And, as mentioned above, the Rangers style of play under Renney tended to be a bit low scoring and boring at times. Regardless, I stick with the team because I've been rooting for them my whole life.

Not many fans are going to relate to complaints about crowd noise and play-by-play announcers because that's not why they root for the team. My grandparents were Rangers fans, my parents became Rangers fans, and now I am a Rangers fan. The Rangers were my team since birth and always will be.

OverTheCap is offline  
Old
08-18-2009, 09:56 PM
  #17
VladNYC*
 
VladNYC*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 6,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Who gives a **** about the announcers or the decibel level of the fans ??? Try rooting for the fellas in the red, white a blue uniforms skating around the ice Vlad. Or...
root for Buffalo... Rick Jeanerette is a raging lunatic behind the mike and their fans are loud as hell.. Wouldn't want to drive up there to watch them play in Feb though..

Roseanne Barr and Fran Drescher could do the games on MSG and I would still root like hell for the Rangers...
I am sorry but i can't watch a silent game on tv. It is deflating. I also go to a lot of Ranger games and while i don't sit with the hard cores at the top, it makes me angry to see guys looking at their black berries during the game around me.

The quality of the hockey was pretty poor under Renny and that was another big big problem i forgot to mention.

As for Buffalo, that is the team I watch most. If RJ did the commentary i would watch every game prob.

VladNYC* is offline  
Old
08-18-2009, 09:56 PM
  #18
Banks3rdLineCenter
 
Banks3rdLineCenter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 2,052
vCash: 500
If your fanhood is based on the quality of the announcers and the loudness of the crowd than we don't really want you anyway...

Just check out the thread we had up recently about "Why are you a Ranger fan?" and you will understand.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline  
Old
08-18-2009, 09:57 PM
  #19
VladNYC*
 
VladNYC*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 6,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
huh



1. renney system

2. renney system

i may be messed up, but i can actually understand what you are saying. i blame both of your concerns on tom renney hockey.

all i can say brother is give it a whole season of slats hockey and turn the sound down on the tv like i do. i dont need announcers to tell me what im seeing. i can actually enjoy the game more when there isnt sam and joe in the background saying stupid stuff.

give it another go this year but i feel your pain.
I think Renny was one of the biggest problems, i agree. It was ugly ugly hockey.

VladNYC* is offline  
Old
08-18-2009, 09:59 PM
  #20
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
MSG has one of the most livliest crowds around....
well then the 2 games i went to last year at msg must have been an anomaly. the place was mostly quiet other than after we scored. otherwise, not lively at all.

funny though, i saw them twice in buf and both games were rockin at hsbc arena.

and all those games on the tv i watched where it seemed like they were playing in a library.....

offdacrossbar is offline  
Old
08-18-2009, 09:59 PM
  #21
Shake and Bake
 
Shake and Bake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
Worst post ever.

get off our board

Shake and Bake is offline  
Old
08-18-2009, 10:00 PM
  #22
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
yeah but never ever have i watched ny ranger games and been so disgusted with the type of play as the last 2 yrs under tr.

i mean seriously fall asleep from boredom, unwatchable awful hockey.

i fact, last year, im sorry to say, i turned games off.

there, i said it. i am ashamed......
I'm not a Renney hater, but I have to agree.. At times I have never been so bored as I was for most of last season. I was actually looking more forward at times to watching The Caps, Philly, Chicago, Anaheim, Calgary etc.. Heck, any team on nights when the Rangers anemic offense put opposing teams goalies to sleep.

Thank god for the Center Ice package..

HAPPY HOUR is offline  
Old
08-18-2009, 10:02 PM
  #23
VladNYC*
 
VladNYC*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 6,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
MSG has one of the most livliest crowds around....
Obviously you have never been to a game in Montreal or Toronto nor to one in Europe. The Swiss fans in their half size arenas are louder then MSG during ANY game.

VladNYC* is offline  
Old
08-18-2009, 10:03 PM
  #24
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
I don't think anyone cares if you are a fan of the Rangers or not.
Seconded. And I wonder why you would bother posting something like this on our board

Fitzy is offline  
Old
08-18-2009, 10:04 PM
  #25
McNashty
HATERS GON' HATE!
 
McNashty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,551
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to McNashty Send a message via MSN to McNashty
leave.

McNashty is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.