HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Defense

Old
08-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imiss47 View Post
The 7th d-man or insurance defenseman if u will has to be between Blum and Laakso with a slight edge to Laakso only for the reason that Blum could use the time down in Milwaukee. I think Laakso could provide the preds with a steady defensive defenseman if anyone were to go down which let's face it, will happen. Blum getting the call if and only if he starts off the year with a bang in Milwaukee, which I doubt.
I strongly disagree. Laakso is ready, but missed the second half of last season due to a shoulder injury. He needs to play regularly at the start of the year to stay sharp and remain game-ready. Blum is too young and has too much development ahead of himself to sit in the press box. Blum will have to force his way into the top 6 to start the season in Nashville. A veteran addition that can mentor and won't complain when he plays irregularly is the right fit in the No. 7 hole.

Quote:
Klein will be counted on much more heavily this year as he only played about 13 mins. a game last year and was to all my accounts a very solid player who could use more mins. I'm looking forward to see what he can bring to the table this year.
Klein is right up there with Franson as my "put up or shut up" guys this season. Klein has very poor practice habits that improved only slightly last season when he became a regular in the lineup. His game play has also been very inconsistent and he needs to really step up both his physical play and reads in traffic to become a top-4 guy. He has a lot to prove to not only me, but to the coaching staff as well this season. It is a contract year for him too and with Hamhuis a UFA at season's end, Klein's future in this organization will be written this season.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 06:35 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Top-six forward, veteran 6th/7th defenseman

Probably around $1-$1.5 mil at the absolute max. Must stay below the mid-point of the cap at 48.8 mil and stay low enough that we could call up Colin Wilson or others during the season if they prove they are ready or we have injuries.

If we add a defenseman (which I think we will), we'll be looking for an experienced vet at the tail end of his career that can serve as a mentor to our young defensive corps and not be a locker room distraction if he is called upon for only 30-40 games max this season. Guys mentioned this week that make sense would be Chelios, Klee (if we convince him to not retire), and possibly the return of DeVries.

The open position at forward is a top-six forward to play with Legwand and Erat. Legwand can move to the wing and Erat plays both wings, so position is not so much of a concern as is the contract (salary and most importantly one-year deal only), preferably the addition would complement Legwand and Erat's skill sets and be able to either insure that both of them are over 20 goals scored this season or can score 20-25 goals themselves.

As for the age factor, we built up our organizational depth this summer with younger, second-chance players already. If we add another forward, they need to be someone with NHL experience and a chip on their shoulder (ie: Sykora, Afinogenov, etc).

I agree. I think that Vancouver and Nashville will definitely be talking throughout training camp and probably into the start of the season if necessary. The strengths and needs of the organizations are a good fit for each other and will definitely be something to keep an eye on.
Well said as always SLake. However the only thing I disagree with is adding an aging, questionable vet on the wing. I think we need to stick with younger guys who still have room to grow, and are not a liability in our own zone.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Well said as always SLake. However the only thing I disagree with is adding an aging, questionable vet on the wing. I think we need to stick with younger guys who still have room to grow, and are not a liability in our own zone.
Thanks! Yeah, I can see that approach too, but it'll depend on cost (both in terms of money and picks/prospects to acquire). Looking at the organizational depth chart, a top-six spot must be available for Colin Wilson or someone else to be able to step into that role next season at the latest. Adding a younger player with any experience will cost more and isn't necessarily going to be the right fit going forward.

I look for a free agent acquisition as the more likely method of adding to the team right now, but agree that a trade for a younger player might be the answer in the long run. It'll definitely be an exciting time in Nashville throughout training camp and the early part of this season as the team finds it's identity.

Old
08-30-2009, 09:41 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I think bringing DeVries back in a limited role is more likely and more favorable than signing Chelios, honestly.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 10:25 PM
echlfreak

What about:

Sydor...played with Arnott in Dallas, still put up 13 points and played on Dallas' PP

Hedican...Still decent speed and good veteran guy

Malik...6'5" shut down type D

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Top-six forward, veteran 6th/7th defenseman

Probably around $1-$1.5 mil at the absolute max. Must stay below the mid-point of the cap at 48.8 mil and stay low enough that we could call up Colin Wilson or others during the season if they prove they are ready or we have injuries.

If we add a defenseman (which I think we will), we'll be looking for an experienced vet at the tail end of his career that can serve as a mentor to our young defensive corps and not be a locker room distraction if he is called upon for only 30-40 games max this season. Guys mentioned this week that make sense would be Chelios, Klee (if we convince him to not retire), and possibly the return of DeVries.

The open position at forward is a top-six forward to play with Legwand and Erat. Legwand can move to the wing and Erat plays both wings, so position is not so much of a concern as is the contract (salary and most importantly one-year deal only), preferably the addition would complement Legwand and Erat's skill sets and be able to either insure that both of them are over 20 goals scored this season or can score 20-25 goals themselves.

As for the age factor, we built up our organizational depth this summer with younger, second-chance players already. If we add another forward, they need to be someone with NHL experience and a chip on their shoulder (ie: Sykora, Afinogenov, etc).
Well the $1 to $1.5 mil is going to be a hard one to fill, especially if you are after a top 6 forward plus a defenceman. Vancouver does have those players though.

Of the Vancouver forwards that may be traded, one or two of those will likely be: Demitra, Raymond, Wellwood, Hansen or Grabner.

Of the Vancouver defensemen who could be traded, I'd say it will be one or two of: Bieksa, SOB (O'Brien), Lukewich, Nycholat or Rome.

Demitra is just a bigger, faster version of Steve Sullivan and at $4 mil/yr, he's not what you need even though he would do well there & improve your team.

Raymond (just turning 24) is a very good, extremely fast 1st/2nd winger (either side) with a $693 K salary plus bonuses and 1.5 years NHL experience. Can score or set up at a high speed. Light frame easily knocked down, just starting to get his adult muscles & increase his body weight. Gillis commented last year that Raymond was the player most asked for when talking to other GM's about trades. Under normal conditions he would be a lock to make the Canucks this year, but we have Burrows, Kesler, Grabner, Shirkov, Hansen and Sameulsson all pushing him and able to replace him on the second line. His style of play doesn't fit well with the Sedins on the first line. Either he's to fast or they are too slow. Raymond's trade value is likely equivalent to a 1st round in the 8th to 15th pick range. With his speed and skill set, he definately would be a good fit with Legwand and Erat. Earlier posts decided that Raymond for Franson would be a good trade for both teams. I agree, Fransen is a BC boy who was well liked here when he played for the Giants. On the Canucks, Fransen would be sent to the Moose for another year or two of development of which I think he can use.

Another player I think would really help your team is Wellwood (age 26 - 4 year NHL experience - $1.2 mil per year). Probably one of the most hockey savy and one of the better playmakers in the league. He is the player I'd least like the Canucks to lose, but again he is another player who is up against strong compititon for his roster spot as 2nd or 3rd line centre (Demitra, Sundin if we sign him, Kesler if he plays centre and Hodgson). On wing he's up against the same group Raymond is. Wellwood plays smart and with an uncanny amount of patience. He uses a very short stick that is very useful forchecking or controlling the puck to set up his linemates. A very under-rated player, he can play 2nd line or 3rd line. He would be a good set up man for either of your offensive lines or he can be a premier defensive/shutdown centre. Much like Kesler, but different style (puck contol & knowing where to be without the puck rather than Kesler's agressive forcheck. Wellwood doesn't have Raymond's upside potential, but he is far more of a versitile player and the type that makes his linemates better. Definately won't get his team in penalty trouble. Last year he got 2 penalties, first penalty in years. Wellwood likely is worth a low to mid second round pick.

Hansen, RW, with one year NHL experience (age 23 - $500 K/yr) is another smart, versitile player who can play either top six or bottom six. Because of his age and low salary combined with a lot of potential, Hansen's trade value is likely close to a latter half first round pick or very low 2nd round pick.

Grabner likely will not be traded except in a package. First round pick value, Grabner is a 1st/2nd line offensive sniper, but he can still be sent to the Moose without waivers. Raymond can't. Like most young offensive players Grabner still has to learn there are two ends to a hockey rink, not just the end of the opposing team. Great goal scorer though and every year he will get better. Could eventually be considered elite. His compitition to stay with the Canucks next year will be our first round draft choice this year, Schroeder.

On defense, if Bieksa is traded, it will be for a major player and to clear cap space. He currently fills out #2 D spot. He's not someone likely to be traded to your team as you don't have the assets Gillis would want in return.

Shawn O'Brien (age 26 - $1.6 mil) lives up to the SOB his initials often stand for. He is a big, mean, top 4, two way defenseman who was not happy last year that the Canucks used him as their #5/6 D and who will be even moe unhappy that with all the extra D's the Canucks just got, he likely will now be used as the Canuck's #7/8 D.
Still young and learning, he takes too many penalties, but that will decrease with experience and maturity. He and Raymond at least have similar trade values and O'Brien might even garner more than Raymond. He would likely be your #4 D looking at your defensive lineup. As long as Mitchell and Salo have no trade clauses there is no chance O'Brien or Ehrhoff will be used as the Canuck's top 4. Gillis likely would prefer to keep SOB, but may be forced to keep Lukewich and trade an unhappy O'Brien. A mean, 224 lb, top 4 defenseman like O'Brien at just $1.6 mil per year will create a lot of interest. If O'Brien accepts his #7 D role this year, he won't be traded. Lukewich will be instead.

Lukewich is exactly the type of experienced #5/6/7 D you say you are looking for. $1.6 mil salary and likely can step into a stronger #5 role on your team if needed. Likely could be had for a late 2nd or 3rd.

Nycholat is also a useful, experienced reserve D and cheap at $600 K. Not super skilled, but he does his job and doesn't hurt the team as long as he not put into a top four role for any length of time. Likely could be had for a 3rd or 4th. If not traded Rome & Nycholat will be heading for the Moose.

Raymond and Nycholat together total under $1.3 mil plus Raymonds bonus money (stll under $1.5 mil) and give you a scoring top six forward and a #6/7 defenseman probably for just Franson and a late round pick. Alternatively, Franson and a late round pick for O'Brien.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 12:43 AM
Imiss47

Quote:
I could not agree more with predanerd and would also extend his remarks to our situation on defense. If we sign an older, slower, but wiley d-man we will be taking away ice time from a younger, faster, and potentially offensively gifted, more promising option with some upside. Trust me, after seeing De Vries attempt to play the position last year, this is exactly what the preds need. A younger guy with his job on the line and everything to prove. Not an aging, slower guy with nothing to prove and nothing but money to make on his way out...

This team is in a financial situation where we need to take full advantage of our own assets, which at this point, is young puck moving defensemen, and not rely on other team's assets or free agents unless they are at a position that is sorely needed.

Slake, if u do want the team to sign a top-six forward (which trust me I could not agree with u more on this subject) than Poile should use the money that is available to help the team score some goals or at least create some chances to score goals and not on an aging defenseman that is going to cost more than he is worth frankly.

Trust me I would love to see either Sykora or Afinogenov in a preds uniform. But I just don't know if we'll be able to sign one of these scorers if we use the money on an over-aged defenseman with litlle upside instead.

Imiss47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 02:15 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I think bringing DeVries back in a limited role is more likely and more favorable than signing Chelios, honestly.
I agree with this. Chelios just gives me a bad vibe. However, de Vries wouldn't be my first choice from the FA market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman View Post
Well the $1 to $1.5 mil is going to be a hard one to fill, especially if you are after a top 6 forward plus a defenceman. Vancouver does have those players though.

Of the Vancouver forwards that may be traded, one or two of those will likely be: Demitra, Raymond, Wellwood, Hansen or Grabner.

Of the Vancouver defensemen who could be traded, I'd say it will be one or two of: Bieksa, SOB (O'Brien), Lukewich, Nycholat or Rome.

Demitra is just a bigger, faster version of Steve Sullivan and at $4 mil/yr, he's not what you need even though he would do well there & improve your team.

Raymond (just turning 24) is a very good, extremely fast 1st/2nd winger (either side) with a $693 K salary plus bonuses and 1.5 years NHL experience. Can score or set up at a high speed. Light frame easily knocked down, just starting to get his adult muscles & increase his body weight. Gillis commented last year that Raymond was the player most asked for when talking to other GM's about trades. Under normal conditions he would be a lock to make the Canucks this year, but we have Burrows, Kesler, Grabner, Shirkov, Hansen and Sameulsson all pushing him and able to replace him on the second line. His style of play doesn't fit well with the Sedins on the first line. Either he's to fast or they are too slow. Raymond's trade value is likely equivalent to a 1st round in the 8th to 15th pick range. With his speed and skill set, he definately would be a good fit with Legwand and Erat. Earlier posts decided that Raymond for Franson would be a good trade for both teams. I agree, Fransen is a BC boy who was well liked here when he played for the Giants. On the Canucks, Fransen would be sent to the Moose for another year or two of development of which I think he can use.

Another player I think would really help your team is Wellwood (age 26 - 4 year NHL experience - $1.2 mil per year). Probably one of the most hockey savy and one of the better playmakers in the league. He is the player I'd least like the Canucks to lose, but again he is another player who is up against strong compititon for his roster spot as 2nd or 3rd line centre (Demitra, Sundin if we sign him, Kesler if he plays centre and Hodgson). On wing he's up against the same group Raymond is. Wellwood plays smart and with an uncanny amount of patience. He uses a very short stick that is very useful forchecking or controlling the puck to set up his linemates. A very under-rated player, he can play 2nd line or 3rd line. He would be a good set up man for either of your offensive lines or he can be a premier defensive/shutdown centre. Much like Kesler, but different style (puck contol & knowing where to be without the puck rather than Kesler's agressive forcheck. Wellwood doesn't have Raymond's upside potential, but he is far more of a versitile player and the type that makes his linemates better. Definately won't get his team in penalty trouble. Last year he got 2 penalties, first penalty in years. Wellwood likely is worth a low to mid second round pick.

Hansen, RW, with one year NHL experience (age 23 - $500 K/yr) is another smart, versitile player who can play either top six or bottom six. Because of his age and low salary combined with a lot of potential, Hansen's trade value is likely close to a latter half first round pick or very low 2nd round pick.

Grabner likely will not be traded except in a package. First round pick value, Grabner is a 1st/2nd line offensive sniper, but he can still be sent to the Moose without waivers. Raymond can't. Like most young offensive players Grabner still has to learn there are two ends to a hockey rink, not just the end of the opposing team. Great goal scorer though and every year he will get better. Could eventually be considered elite. His compitition to stay with the Canucks next year will be our first round draft choice this year, Schroeder.

On defense, if Bieksa is traded, it will be for a major player and to clear cap space. He currently fills out #2 D spot. He's not someone likely to be traded to your team as you don't have the assets Gillis would want in return.

Shawn O'Brien (age 26 - $1.6 mil) lives up to the SOB his initials often stand for. He is a big, mean, top 4, two way defenseman who was not happy last year that the Canucks used him as their #5/6 D and who will be even moe unhappy that with all the extra D's the Canucks just got, he likely will now be used as the Canuck's #7/8 D.
Still young and learning, he takes too many penalties, but that will decrease with experience and maturity. He and Raymond at least have similar trade values and O'Brien might even garner more than Raymond. He would likely be your #4 D looking at your defensive lineup. As long as Mitchell and Salo have no trade clauses there is no chance O'Brien or Ehrhoff will be used as the Canuck's top 4. Gillis likely would prefer to keep SOB, but may be forced to keep Lukewich and trade an unhappy O'Brien. A mean, 224 lb, top 4 defenseman like O'Brien at just $1.6 mil per year will create a lot of interest. If O'Brien accepts his #7 D role this year, he won't be traded. Lukewich will be instead.

Lukewich is exactly the type of experienced #5/6/7 D you say you are looking for. $1.6 mil salary and likely can step into a stronger #5 role on your team if needed. Likely could be had for a late 2nd or 3rd.

Nycholat is also a useful, experienced reserve D and cheap at $600 K. Not super skilled, but he does his job and doesn't hurt the team as long as he not put into a top four role for any length of time. Likely could be had for a 3rd or 4th. If not traded Rome & Nycholat will be heading for the Moose.

Raymond and Nycholat together total under $1.3 mil plus Raymonds bonus money (stll under $1.5 mil) and give you a scoring top six forward and a #6/7 defenseman probably for just Franson and a late round pick. Alternatively, Franson and a late round pick for O'Brien.
No thanks on that trade IMO. Trading Franson without getting 2 dmen back doesn't help our situation on D. Still leaves us with a hole to fill. And Raymond isn't a surefire top six player.

I thought I was interested in SOB, but I must undervalue him if he thinks he deserves top 4 minutes. We are not going to bring in someone like that. We are looking for a #6/7 dman we can scratch and won't complain about limited ice time. Lukowich is too expensive for this type of role.

So I guess that only leaves Nycholat as an option on D, and I honestly don't know enough about him. But we can probably just sign someone of equal, or even of greater caliber, from the FA market. But didn't you just sign Nycholat this summer? Would you really trade him so quickly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imiss47 View Post
I could not agree more with predanerd and would also extend his remarks to our situation on defense. If we sign an older, slower, but wiley d-man we will be taking away ice time from a younger, faster, and potentially offensively gifted, more promising option with some upside. Trust me, after seeing De Vries attempt to play the position last year, this is exactly what the preds need. A younger guy with his job on the line and everything to prove. Not an aging, slower guy with nothing to prove and nothing but money to make on his way out...

This team is in a financial situation where we need to take full advantage of our own assets, which at this point, is young puck moving defensemen, and not rely on other team's assets or free agents unless they are at a position that is sorely needed.

Slake, if u do want the team to sign a top-six forward (which trust me I could not agree with u more on this subject) than Poile should use the money that is available to help the team score some goals or at least create some chances to score goals and not on an aging defenseman that is going to cost more than he is worth frankly.

Trust me I would love to see either Sykora or Afinogenov in a preds uniform. But I just don't know if we'll be able to sign one of these scorers if we use the money on an over-aged defenseman with litlle upside instead.
No one is saying we should sign a defensemen to take minutes away from our younger guys. If we do bring someone in, he will likely be scratched often, and will mentor the younger guys, which they would benefit from in the long run. Furthermore, a young player can even benefit from being scratched for many reasons. Plus, signing a 7th dman at league minimum would have no effect on our ability to sign a top six winger. The salary savings are insignificant.

However, none of this talk would matter if management decides to roll with 6 dmen, which is very plausible.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 07:28 AM
OpenWheel

The worst thing about picking up a cheap veteran D-man to provide leadership is letting Hamhuis, Weber, and Suter know that you don't think they're leaders.

Those guys aren't inexperienced, they're veterans. There's no need to imply that, while they will certainly continue to learn, some player who's below their level of youthful abilty has so much more between the ears that he's needed to "show the young defensemen how to win". Or whatever you want to call it.

If we want a defenseman because we think the rookie (basically) 5th and 6th guys won't cut it when they are needed, fine. But get someone who can play. Not this nebulous coaching and leadership stuff. That's an insult to three guys who have plenty of experience and know the Preds coaches game plans and tactics inside and out.

I'd prefer if they went with what we have in the system. I think we'll get reasonable play while improving experience levels. And I think it will help make our tradable assets more valuable, as a small bonus.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2009, 07:48 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Klein is right up there with Franson as my "put up or shut up" guys this season. Klein has very poor practice habits that improved only slightly last season when he became a regular in the lineup. His game play has also been very inconsistent and he needs to really step up both his physical play and reads in traffic to become a top-4 guy. He has a lot to prove to not only me, but to the coaching staff as well this season. It is a contract year for him too and with Hamhuis a UFA at season's end, Klein's future in this organization will be written this season.
Hmm...appears Glennon gets the same vibe...

Quote:
The Predators like Klein's raw tools, but it remains to be seen if he can handle the new responsibilities which will also include more penalty-killing work.

"His skating ability and skill set is all there,'' Predators Coach Barry Trotz said. "He has a good upside.

"From his standpoint, it's just going to be, 'Can you handle the pressure of being in the top four, playing a lot, limiting your mistakes, managing the game on a consistent basis game in and game out?' That's more of a mental aspect than it is the physical aspect.''
IMO, it all starts with his work ethic in practice. He cannot simply be a "game" player. Far too often the past two seasons a traffic cone would have been more of a challenge in practice than Klein has been. It cheats not only himself, but his teammates as well who need to be challenged to improve themselves. I really hope that with becoming a father late last season for the first time and getting away to spend time with his family this summer, that Klein will return with a new level of maturity and realize the privilege he has of playing in the NHL and make the most of the opportunity presented to him this summer to establish himself further up the depth charts.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...ngs+from+Klein

Old
08-31-2009, 08:00 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
No one is saying we should sign a defensemen to take minutes away from our younger guys. If we do bring someone in, he will likely be scratched often, and will mentor the younger guys, which they would benefit from in the long run. Furthermore, a young player can even benefit from being scratched for many reasons. Plus, signing a 7th dman at league minimum would have no effect on our ability to sign a top six winger. The salary savings are insignificant.

However, none of this talk would matter if management decides to roll with 6 dmen, which is very plausible.
Agreed. Rolling with 6 defensemen is a very realistic possibility to start the season. If absolutely necessary (last resort), Belak can jump back on defense and log ~8-10 minutes - he was drafted in the first round as a defenseman...

As for OpenWheel's contention that signing a vet would be an insult to Hamhuis, Weber, Suter, I strongly disagree. While a vet will definitely be included in the leadership group that the coaching staff consults with throughout the season, they will be there more as a consultant rather than as a long-term employee. Adding either a forward or defenseman at this point is a one-year deal. Our organization has a lot of prospects at both positions pushing for the opportunity to crack the roster as soon as next season and with the layering of existing contracts there is no doubt that Poile will look to fill holes from within as much as possible over the next couple of seasons to allow for the continued development of and realization of all of the franchise's assets.

Old
09-06-2009, 09:39 AM
echlfreak

Sydor invited to St. Louis on a tryout. Why can't we do that?

Calder has been invited on a tryout to Anaheim
Cloutier to Detroit
Bayda to St. Louis

Are we going to invite Chelios?

Old
09-06-2009, 09:47 AM
echlfreak

Lang
Sykora
Afino
Zherdev
Comrie
Hedican
Chelios
DeVries
Satan
Schaefer
Bouillion
F.Kaberle

All would be good invites or cost effective signings. But, can just wait until camp to see if the young bucks are able to carry the load. If they are its great to have a strong team with this low a payroll and it gives us flexibility throughout the season for trades or late signings. Maybe Forsberg!!!

Old
09-06-2009, 10:26 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
Sydor invited to St. Louis on a tryout. Why can't we do that?

Calder has been invited on a tryout to Anaheim
Cloutier to Detroit
Bayda to St. Louis

Are we going to invite Chelios?
All of the players mentioned in this post are pretty much useless, especially to us. Sydor is awful at this point of his career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
Lang
Sykora
Afino
Hedican
Satan

All would be good invites or cost effective signings. But, can just wait until camp to see if the young bucks are able to carry the load. If they are its great to have a strong team with this low a payroll and it gives us flexibility throughout the season for trades or late signings. Maybe Forsberg!!!
I cleaned up your list for you.

Schaefer and Kaberle both suck, that's why they were bought out. Schaefer hasn't played an NHL game in, what, two years? Comrie has both physical (hip) and psychological problems; we don't have enough room in the organization to accommodate Zherdev and his ego; DeVries has lost most of his mobility at this point, as has Chelios; Bouillon struggles with big forwards, and there are a lot of them in this division. Forsberg has played all of three games in the calendar year of 2009, and the issues with his foot will always be hanging over him. I don't think that drama is something this team needs right now, fresh off the whole Sullivan ordeal.

However, I'm glad you brought Hedican up. I hadn't really given him a whole lot of thought. He would make a very good addition to rotate with one of the kids on the third pairing. He still has most of his mobility, can move the puck up ice, and is fairly reliable in his own end. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Seth Lake

Something to keep in mind regarding free agent tryouts is that despite a player being in a camp, they are not under contract. If we find a deficiency that needs to filled from outside the organization and spot a veteran UFA that might not have a spot locked up on the team he is in camp with...we can offer them a contract and the caveat is that the team with a tryout agreement has the option of matching or releasing the player.

Not saying that we are going to start trying to poach free agents in camps, we don't have the money and that is not our style, but just because a player is in camp with another team, doesn't mean they are completely out of play...

Old
09-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Seth Lake

Backman to Preds???

Props to Admirals Short Shifts for this tidbit...

Quote:
All summer, the Predators have been rumored to be looking for another veteran defenseman to help mentor the bevy of young blueliners on the Nashville roster.

Christian BackmanChris Chelios was one name that garnered a lot of attention lately. Today, another name gets tossed out there: Christian Backman. The Swedish website Expressen mentions the Predators as a possible destination for the 29 year old Backman.

Backman is an unrestricted free agent spending the offseason in his native Sweden. According to the article, the Predators have shown the most interest of any NHL teams, but Backman has not spoken to anyone in the organization himself - all the talks have been between the Preds and his agent.
http://community.sportsbubbler.com/b...r-defense.aspx

Personally, I wouldn't truly be thrilled with this decision based on the play we've seen from Backman in both St. Louis and Columbus, but it does add a defensive defenseman to the mix that could serve as a No. 7 if our prospects claim the open No. 6 position...

Old
09-08-2009, 08:20 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Christian Backman is AWFUL. I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry if we signed him.

Old
09-08-2009, 09:03 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Backman, really?

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
I'm not swedish but from what I can understand it seems like Backman will attend Panthers' camp

http://www.hockeysverige.se/news_sho...tml?id=8598741
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=678717

YES!!! I can breathe a little easier now...

Old
09-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:

Awww. I was so looking forward to this.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 10:11 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:

This is the first time I've been excited about something related to the team since July 1!

Old
09-08-2009, 12:26 PM
ginner classic

I think the aformentioned Canuck offers were a little offside in value and I personally don't see Franson being moved unless Ellis or Blum have an out of this world training camp and start to the season. One month in, I could see some combination of the following players being available from Vancouver that might fir Nashville's needs:

Lukowich or O'Brien AND Raymond or Grabner or Hansen or Shirokov

Canucks need d prospects that are not necessarily NHL ready. You have a bunch that fit that description outside of Franson: Ellis, Blum, Roussel, Josi and Laakso (in order of value).

Is a bundle of one defender and one forward from those groups interesting? I still believe Nashville and vancouver have the basis of a deal sometime in the late fall when both teams have a chance to see what they really have this year and where the greatest needs are. Thoughts?

ginner classic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 01:33 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

The only way Nashville would trade one of their prospects is if they get back a vet 5-6th defenseman on the cheap on his last of his deal. Right now.

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Klein
Sulzer-Franson/Laakso/Blum

Josi is still in Europe
Roussel is still in Juniors
Ellis is still in Juniors
Ekholm is still in Europe
Foss still has one year at RPI and he will need a couple of years of conditioning in Milwaukee if he will even make it.

People need to be trying to make deals for Nashville's depth in goal not defense.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 03:05 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
The only way Nashville would trade one of their prospects is if they get back a vet 5-6th defenseman on the cheap on his last of his deal. Right now.

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Klein
Sulzer-Franson/Laakso/Blum

Josi is still in Europe
Roussel is still in Juniors
Ellis is still in Juniors
Ekholm is still in Europe
Foss still has one year at RPI and he will need a couple of years of conditioning in Milwaukee if he will even make it.

People need to be trying to make deals for Nashville's depth in goal not defense.

Your biggest organizational strength is in right side, right shooting defencemen that are a year or more than a year away from the NHL. That's your position of strength. If you can get a veteran #6/7 d-man and a forward that is young, cheap and can contribute now, I think it makes some sense. That's what your team has done correctly....draft the BPA. that should be combined with step #2.... which is to trade the 'BPA asset' later for something you really need.

ginner classic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 03:14 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
Your biggest organizational strength is in right side, right shooting defencemen that are a year or more than a year away from the NHL. That's your position of strength. If you can get a veteran #6/7 d-man and a forward that is young, cheap and can contribute now, I think it makes some sense. That's what your team has done correctly....draft the BPA. that should be combined with step #2.... which is to trade the 'BPA asset' later for something you really need.
Agreed. My question is, would Nashville POSSIBLY trade Rinne if they felt that Pickard would be a better player in the future? We know about Nashville's revolving door at goal but it could be interesting with Nashville's goalie depth.

I know some believe that Nashville won't be able to sign Rinne to an extension but Ellis will be gone next year, that's about a million off the cap for Rinne. Hamhuis may be gone but I think he's a priority too. I think Nashville would rather trade Klein/Franson/Laasko to make room for Blum than to lose Hamhuis. Most of the players coming off the books next year are bottom 6 forwards. (Tootoo, Guite, Belak) Not much money but just enough to get Rinne signed.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote