HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Are we better then last year... ?

View Poll Results: Will the Rangers be better then last year ?
Yes 146 89.57%
No 17 10.43%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

vCash: 500
I'm abstaining because there are two answers to this question.

Are we better than we were opening night 2008? Yes.

Are we better than we were game 7 2009? I'd say we're even. Might be better, might be worse too. Overall, even.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 05:58 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

The biggest change for me is we have more depth at the forward position. Rookie defense is a big ? but I'll stick with being optimistic about Gilroy, et al.

I think the crop of Gaborik, Prospal, Higgins, Kotalik > Gomez, Zherdev, Naslund. I like the look and size of Boyle & Brashear over Betts and Orr. especially since Torts will want to play his main players on the PK instead of his 4th liners.

2009 starting lineup?

Prospal-Dubinksy-Gaborik
Higgins-Drury-Kotalik
Avery-Anisimov-Callahan
Brashear-Boyle-Lisin

2008 starting lineup?

Naslund-Gomez-Callahan
Voros-Dubinsky-Zherdev
Dawes-Drury-Prucha
Korpikoski-Betts-Orr

who would pick last year's?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 09:50 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

at this point the glass is clearly

HALF FULL

I think team depth has improved, overall team speed is better and hopefully the powerplay will also improve.

I am hoping Anisimov is ready for a regular shift in the NHL

I am concerned about the blueline but remain positive that Henke can bail the team out of most of its miscues

donpaulo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Thefalkon

No, we just have different problems now.

Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 09:55 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Forward depth is certainly better, but I could see this year going either way. Hitching the season on Gabby who IMO is still a substantial risk will be what determines our fate. I think the fact that I am pretty down on Gilroy's readiness and ability (which many are already counting on/expecting) also leaves me wary.

Either way, should be more exciting than last year.

08-19-2009, 10:25 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Forward depth is certainly better, but I could see this year going either way. Hitching the season on Gabby who IMO is still a substantial risk will be what determines our fate. I think the fact that I am pretty down on Gilroy's readiness and ability (which many are already counting on/expecting) also leaves me wary.

Either way, should be more exciting than last year.
I think Potter is ready as is Mike Sauer who is back and healthy from hip surgery. Also Ilkka Heikkinen is in the mix as well. So Gilroy isn't a lock for the team in any way shape or form.

Actually I would like to see Gilroy start in Hartford with top pairing minutes paired with Sangs.

donpaulo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 10:26 PM
dedalus

Assuming Gaborik remains healthy, he becomes the replacement the team has needed for Jagr. That makes the tem better than last year's, but still, last year's team was a first round playoff loser. Improving it shouldn't be difficult.

This year's team should be able to get back to where the Jagr teams were: 2nd round losers.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 10:28 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Assuming Gaborik remains healthy, he becomes the replacement the team has needed for Jagr. That makes the tem better than last year's, but still, last year's team was a first round playoff loser. Improving it shouldn't be difficult.

This year's team should be able to get back to where the Jagr teams were: 2nd round losers.
Just barely.

If we had someone who could put the puck in the damn net we would have easily been well on our way to the 2nd round with the way Lundqvist played. That would have been a nice 2 vs 7 upset...

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 10:43 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Just barely.

If we had someone who could put the puck in the damn net
As you say, the team lacked scoring. As a result, they were first round losers. If "just barely" brings you comfort, cheers. Personally I couldn't care less if they were "barely" losers or not. That status didn't help when round two started.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 12:46 AM
Balej20*

I still don't see this team as a finished product. Another move or two should be on the horizon. As it stands now, unless Gaborik can stay healthy all year and have a monster year, this team is about as good as last years team. No top flight scoring and very soft. A recipe for disaster once the games start to count (aka the playoffs).

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 12:49 AM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
I still don't see this team as a finished product. Another move or two should be on the horizon. As it stands now, unless Gaborik can stay healthy all year and have a monster year, this team is about as good as last years team. No top flight scoring and very soft. A recipe for disaster once the games start to count (aka the playoffs).
I wanted to vote that they would be the same but it wasn't a choice.
So since it asked if they would be better than last year I said no. If it asked if they would be worse than last year I would have said no too.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:08 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
I wanted to vote that they would be the same but it wasn't a choice.
So since it asked if they would be better than last year I said no. If it asked if they would be worse than last year I would have said no too.
Yeah, that's how I looked at it as well. They're about on par with last years team, with Gaborik being the deciding factor of them being better or as good. If he has a big year, they're better (but not great). If he has a mediocre year, or he is hurt all year, they could be a little worse or just as good.

In the end, this team isn't winning cups anytime soon, with or without a monster year from Gaborik.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 05:36 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
And while that might be true...there's certainly no guarantee. Do you really think the best 2 of Potter/Sauer/Gilroy are an improvement over Mara/Morris? Maybe they will be one day...but as rookies out of camp with nearly 0 NHL experience?
I never said there was going to be an improvement, just that the difference between what we got from the M&M boys to what we get from this years 3rd pairing is going to be minimal.

It's a 3rd pairing. They play 13-17 minutes a night. Typically being deployed against teams 3rd and 4th lines. I expect they may have some growing pains, but by years end, the total result will be very similar to what we got from Mara and Morris.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 08:49 AM
WheresBarnaby

Yes, but if and only if, Gabs makes it through an entire season. Otherwise were about the same.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 09:18 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post

Gaborick is no better than Jarg (prior to shoulder bust)
Prospal is less than Straka
Callahan is no better than Sykora
Boyle, Drury, and Dubi are less than Betts, Rucchin and Nylander
Kotalik/ Higgins is better than Prucha/ Hossa

Still the same, if not worse.

94now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 09:30 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Gaborick is no better than Jarg (prior to shoulder bust)
Prospal is less than Straka
Callahan is no better than Sykora
Boyle, Drury, and Dubi are less than Betts, Rucchin and Nylander
Kotalik/ Higgins is better than Prucha/ Hossa

Still the same, if not worse.
Gotta pretty much agree, except Gaborick has speed, and Jags moved like a bus. I think Jagr was pretty much playing a different game than everyone else on the ice most of the time. Gabs speed should make his play more in uniform with the rest of his line I hope. If that makes any sense anyway. Cally points wise is no better than Straka,or Sykora but he brings physical play and momentum that they never had.

Other than that yeah your 100% basically this team is not beating Pitt or Wash in the playoffs, and we can expect those team to both be there every friggin year from now on.

Old
08-20-2009, 09:39 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
Gotta pretty much agree, except Gaborick has speed, and Jags moved like a bus..
and Jagr is one of the top 15 forwards to ever play the game and Gaborik's best year is equal to a poor to average season for Jagr. You're comparing an all time great hall of famer with a player who looks good while having accomplished almost nothing, to date.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 09:43 AM
94now

Quote:
Gabs speed should make his play more in uniform with the rest of his line I hope.
So do I. Yet same was said about Cullien and later about Gomez.

Torts wants to spend most time in the opposition zone by creating turnovers there with vigorous forechecking. You don't need speed for that game plan. Speed is important in defensive systems where team is patiently waiting for successful counter attack via quick transition.

Old
08-20-2009, 09:44 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
and Jagr is one of the top 15 forwards to ever play the game and Gaborik's best year is equal to a poor to average season for Jagr. You're comparing an all time great hall of famer with a player who looks good while having accomplished almost nothing, to date.
Don't misunderstand me I'm not talking Jagr the Penguin here, I'm talking Jagr the Ranger. I'm not saying he's not one of the greatest ever, I'm saying we got him on the tail end of his career like every other superstar we get.

I think the team benifits from not having one guy your going to constantly give the puck to, like we did with Jags. It became obvious, and hurt the team. Gabs will find the puck by moving his feet.

Old
08-20-2009, 09:50 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
So do I. Yet same was said about Cullien and later about Gomez.

Torts wants to spend most time in the opposition zone by creating turnovers there with vigorous forechecking. You don't need speed for that game plan. Speed is important in defensive systems where team is patiently waiting for successful counter attack via quick transition.
Well you need power fowards for what Torts wants really. Who do we have? Duby, and Cally are the only two who work the corners with any kind of regularity, or who do it well for that matter. Maybe Avery? They're not exactly power fowards. Am I forgetting anyone?

Old
08-20-2009, 10:04 AM
94now

Quote:
Well you need power fowards for what Torts wants really. Who do we have? Duby, and Cally are the only two who work the corners with any kind of regularity, or who do it well for that matter. Maybe Avery? They're not exactly power fowards. Am I forgetting anyone?
Kotalik and Boyle are the only PFs we've got to date. Callahan is way too light, needs to gain weight as I said zillion times.

Old
08-20-2009, 10:11 AM
frozenH20

On the plus side, the team is physically bigger, has more shooters and Gaborik. On the flip side, missing playmakers, distributors type players, the PK got weaker, and defense got younger and less experienced. Plus half of the team is new, so chemistry is a wildcard.

Overall, perhaps a little better or on par with last year’s team.

frozenH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 10:16 AM
chosen

Quote:
Don't misunderstand me I'm not talking Jagr the Penguin here, I'm talking Jagr the Ranger. I'm not saying he's not one of the greatest ever, I'm saying we got him on the tail end of his career like every other superstar we get.

I think the team benifits from not having one guy your going to constantly give the puck to, like we did with Jags. It became obvious, and hurt the team. Gabs will find the puck by moving his feet.
Jagr the Ranger was better than Gaborik has ever been. No contest. No how. No way.

Jagr does not fit the classic Rangers get a great player when he is through formula. He was still arguably the best forward in the game while he was here and unquestionably a top fiver.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 10:30 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Different is the key word. Msg had on the rangers first game after the trading deadline last night. Ten of the 18 skaters are gone. Drury dubinsky Callahan Avery redden rozsival stall and girardi are left. It was Averys first game back. Watching the game you see how different the team really is since March.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Fletch

Chosen - Jagr did move like a bus - ever try stopping a bus? It's not easy.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote