HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are we better then last year... ?

View Poll Results: Will the Rangers be better then last year ?
Yes 146 89.57%
No 17 10.43%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-20-2009, 10:41 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Chosen - Jagr did move like a bus - ever try stopping a bus? It's not easy.
Well maybe not for you....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 11:33 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Jagr the Ranger was better than Gaborik has ever been. No contest. No how. No way.

Jagr does not fit the classic Rangers get a great player when he is through formula. He was still arguably the best forward in the game while he was here and unquestionably a top fiver.
Yeah your right now that I think about it, even though his goals were about half of what he scored in his second to last season, he was getting still getting assists. My problem was that the team was too centered around Jagr.

I've been talking about Pittsburgh alot today for some reason, but I it looks to me like the Gaborik signing makes us more like the Pens are now, (albeit very, very, lite) where as Jagr made us like the Pens when Crosby first arrived there.

All I'm saying is a team is far more dangerous obviously when you don't know who to cover. Detroit and Pittsburgh have both gotten to that point, and that's why they are where they are.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 11:45 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
Yeah your right now that I think about it, even though his goals were about half of what he scored in his second to last season, he was getting still getting assists. My problem was that the team was too centered around Jagr.

I've been talking about Pittsburgh alot today for some reason, but I it looks to me like the Gaborik signing makes us more like the Pens are now, (albeit very, very, lite) where as Jagr made us like the Pens when Crosby first arrived there.

All I'm saying is a team is far more dangerous obviously when you don't know who to cover. Detroit and Pittsburgh have both gotten to that point, and that's why they are where they are.
Knowing to cover Crosby and Malkin doesn't help you stop them and it was near impossible to stop Jagr. He had one playoffs with us where he was vintage Jagr. I sometimes think that people actually underrate his career and his time in a Rangers uniform.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 03:09 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

YES!

Coaching
Torts>>>Renney

Forwards
Gabby>>>Zherdev
Kotalik>Korpikoski
Prospal>Naslund
Avery>Avery by virtue of a full season
Brashear>Orr
Lisin>Dawes
Dubinsky=Dubinsky
Callahan=Callahan
Voros = Voros
Drury = Drury
Higgins<Gomez but not by much
Arnason<Sjostrom
Boyle ? Betts Boyle is unknown could go either way
AA ? Prucha AA hasn't been tested at the NHL level yet

Defense
Redden=Redden Even though Redden under Torts was not the same guy as Redden under Renney, I'm not convinced yet.
Rozsival=Rozsival Though he shouldn't be hampered by coming off an injury any more.
Staal=Staal
Girardi=Girardi
Any Rookie D = Kalinin
Any Rookie D < Mara, losing the lumberjack is gonna suck.

Goaltending
is the same

The icing
Staal, Callahan, and Dubinsky are all expected to improve and thi

The Cherry on Top
Messier is added to the front office

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Cioran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Voros = Voros
Voros< Voros

This guy can only get worse. He can't get it through his head that his role is to screen the goalie, get tip ins and rebounds. Not to mention he lacks any athletic ability and skates like Happy Gilmore.

Cioran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 03:24 PM
NYR Viper

Just a quick question. The Sharks are having "captains practices" and I recall the Rangers doing something like that last season. Has anyone heard anything regarding when they might come in or if they will? Thanks.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 03:54 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
YES!

Coaching
Torts>>>Renney

Forwards
Gabby>>>Zherdev
Kotalik>Korpikoski
Prospal>Naslund
Avery>Avery by virtue of a full season
Brashear>Orr
Lisin>Dawes
Dubinsky=Dubinsky
Callahan=Callahan
Voros = Voros
Drury = Drury
Higgins<Gomez but not by much
Arnason<Sjostrom
Boyle ? Betts Boyle is unknown could go either way
AA ? Prucha AA hasn't been tested at the NHL level yet

Defense
Redden=Redden Even though Redden under Torts was not the same guy as Redden under Renney, I'm not convinced yet.
Rozsival=Rozsival Though he shouldn't be hampered by coming off an injury any more.
Staal=Staal
Girardi=Girardi
Any Rookie D = Kalinin
Any Rookie D < Mara, losing the lumberjack is gonna suck.

Goaltending
is the same

The icing
Staal, Callahan, and Dubinsky are all expected to improve and thi

The Cherry on Top
Messier is added to the front office
Avery over Avery is my favorite.

Higgins not a huge downgrade from Gomez? Wow!

Clearly the Rangers are a mortal lock to take it all after reading that post.

The Spring Training posts are popping up everywhere in Fantasyland. At least I haven't read anything to rival the idiotic posts before last season where some offered up that they would rather have Prucha than Crosby so perhaps there has been some progress.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 05:06 PM
Fletch

viper...

I'd make an argument that Dubinsky doesn't equal Dubinsky and the analysis needs to be on a position by position, then more macro line by line/defense pair by defense pair basis. For example, Dubi spent much of the season playing behind Gomez and Drury. Playing only behind Drury, or ahead of Drury, is a different situation for him and shoule be tougher, but in any event, effectively he replaces Gomez. Drury does = Drury, but then you need to compare the lines to see if Drury can be better or worse than last season's Drury, then AA would go against Dubi, etc.

Also, I don't personally expect Cally to do better than last season, but that's my own opinion. Don't ask me why. I like him, but don't really see him as a pure scorer and he could be one of those guys who gets 20+ one season and 15 or less the following season. I hate gut feelings.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote