HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kings - Wild deadline

Old
08-19-2009, 02:27 PM
not tellin*

vCash: 500
hahaha, now i remember why i come in here. pure comedy.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
I remember many trade proposals before the season last year where offers of goalies to LA were made and many said that they had plenty of faith in LaBarbera. Now granted, that didn't mean that LA SHOULD have made a deal for Khabibulin (one of the names making the rounds) but there was certainly a lot of misplaced faith in Jason L.
That was because the team wasn't expected to do much. Why not have faith in LaBarbera when you dont expect to make any noise? Then the team actually played and played well while LaBarbera **** the bed.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 02:45 PM
robbiezyg

vCash: 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I am far from a LaBarbera fan...but the Kings missing the playoffs last season was more about being 27th in the league in goals for per game with 2.46. Do not forget the Kings set a franchise record for being shutout last year.
if the team played a more defensive style then wouldn't it inflate the stats of the goalie?

robbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
That was because the team wasn't expected to do much. Why not have faith in LaBarbera when you dont expect to make any noise? Then the team actually played and played well while LaBarbera **** the bed.
The corollary to that though - why tank the season by relying on a completely unproven goalie when an upgrade is available cheaply (in terms of assets moved).

There were a bunch of threads though were I was told that Laberbera was as good as Bulin.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
The corollary to that though - why tank the season by relying on a completely unproven goalie when an upgrade is available cheaply (in terms of assets moved).

There were a bunch of threads though were I was told that Laberbera was as good as Bulin.
Simple, money. The Kings didn't want to pay Khabibulin's ridiculous salary. When you had the expectations that most of us had for last season, it didn't matter if we had LaBarbera or Khabibulin, we were going to suck. But the kids matured, the defensive system took shape. Things changed.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Selanne08*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 Cent View Post
This ridiculous on so many levels:

- speculations deep down the season...WTF
- the lower numbers of trades compared to pre-lockout days
- don't you have anything useful to do instead of writing crappy trade proposals on HFBoards? (I feel sorry for you 4500 posts...lol...maybe you should work on your online addiction.)
- Backstrom signed an extension before July 1st
- Backs is one of the best Wild players
- Minny isn't going to acquire a soon-to-be UFA
- I can't remember the last trade which involved a transaction of picks after the players signed---BS
not as ridiculous as your reply.

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 03:36 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Now, since the Wild most likely won't be in the playoff hunt, what would it take to get Zidlicky, upcoming UFA and a player that fills a team need?

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 03:44 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
I remember many trade proposals before the season last year where offers of goalies to LA were made and many said that they had plenty of faith in LaBarbera. Now granted, that didn't mean that LA SHOULD have made a deal for Khabibulin (one of the names making the rounds) but there was certainly a lot of misplaced faith in Jason L.
I don't think anyone was expecting Labarbera to be a long-term goalie solution, but someone that could fill the gap until Bernier could be ready as a starter.

Most of the proposals last summer involved people trying to rip off LA by sending them a middle of the road goaltender that wasn't likely to do much better than what LA already had. Not just Khabibulin, but like Biron, Conklin, etc level goalies. Then of course there were the ridiculous rumors like the Kopitar for Khabibulin ones.

Oddly enough LA is in a similar boat this summer. Most Kings fans think Quick can come in and play well next season and be a more than adequate bridge to Bernier, or even be the #1 over Bernier. Other people think Quick could be a good goalie, otherwise I don't think he'd be at the US Olympic camp this week. Of course it's always possible he's a flash in the pan and LA's in for another season with inadequate goaltending.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 03:46 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiezyg View Post
if the team played a more defensive style then wouldn't it inflate the stats of the goalie?
The same thing could be said for Backstrom as well.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Again (not that I agree) but you are confusing Labarbera with Ersberg

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I am far from a LaBarbera fan...but the Kings missing the playoffs last season was more about being 27th in the league in goals for per game with 2.46. Do not forget the Kings set a franchise record for being shutout last year.
The Kings missed the playoffs by 12 points. I am sure you can look back over the game log and quite easily find 6+ games that LOLabarbera was in net that the Kings could have won

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/teams/...=los&year=2009

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Simple, money. The Kings didn't want to pay Khabibulin's ridiculous salary. When you had the expectations that most of us had for last season, it didn't matter if we had LaBarbera or Khabibulin, we were going to suck. But the kids matured, the defensive system took shape. Things changed.
Kings could have sent back Preissing to offset the salary difference.

Bottom line - if the Kings got NHL caliber goaltending for all of last year - they might have made the P/O's. They went with Labarbera, and it cost them another season of struggling.

Maybe Quick is 100% the real deal, but I remember a bunch of threads where a Kings poster stated that Lab's was good enough to get the job done. I just think that 40 games is way too small a sample to be 100% confident in a guys ability to be a #1.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 03:58 PM
LAX attack*

People are just as confident about Varlamov over an even smaller span of games

What makes saying that Quick is a legitimate starter any more of a stretch than saying that Varlamov is the same?

Old
08-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=4...id=DL|NHL|Home

Ron Wilson agrees:

Quote:
Wilson was also quick to note that Los Angeles Kings goalie Jonathan Quick could surprise a lot of people this season.

"Jonathan is an up-and-comer and those who have watched him play know how unbelievable a goalie he is," he said. "We'll be reading about him in the future."
Hextall has openly said that the Kings are absolutely not interested in a goaltender and are sticking with their youth. Ersberg is the backup, Quick and Bernier are the battlers for #1 for the next couple of seasons.

Kings' brass wouldn't give this deal a second thought.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 04:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
It's generally not how the Kings operate. They're going to be perfectly find biding their time and will call the season a success as long as they make the playoffs, even if they get swept.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It's generally not how the Kings operate. They're going to be perfectly find biding their time and will call the season a success as long as they make the playoffs, even if they get swept.
Bingo. You understand us perfectly.

Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 05:08 PM
JMFJ 3

Epic fail trade proposal, the kings don't need goaltending help.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 05:08 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
can i have a link please ???????
i have absolute no idea where do you get his from.
From day one the fanbase was scared as soon as Larbs enter the ice.
Even the management put Larbs in to lose games at the end of the season. Larbs lost absolute every fight against another goalie.

And yes............ Quyick is the real deal.
Ask the coach of the US national Team.

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 05:11 PM
LAX attack*

If Minnesota isn't competing for a playoff spot at the deadline:

Zidlicky
Nolan

for

Purcell
2nd
3rd

Old
08-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne08 View Post
If the wild are having a horrible season and are looking at a complete rebuild, then what about this.

Kings:
Backstrom (6 mil)
If Frolov resigns, then 2nd 10, 3rd 10, 1st 11

Wild:
Frolov (2.9) UFA at the end of this season
Schenn
The Kings are thin at LW as is. So it'd be counterproductive to trade Frolov (even if he leaves via free agency) if the goal is to compete in the playoffs this year. The Kings have the luxury of letting Schenn develop, but the pipeline is perfect for him to take over for Handzus/Stoll as their contract expire down the road.

Even if Quick falters, the Kings have Bernier in the ranks. And there are probably other trade options that wouldn't cost the Kings one of their leading scorers and a guy they just took 5th overall......(Tomas Vokoun, looking in your direction).

If Minnesota falters, I can see them trading Nolan, Johnsson, and Zidlicky for prospects/picks to restock their reserve list. Then next offseason, they'd be one of the few teams with ample cap space to lure free agents.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote