HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

team conditioning

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-20-2009, 01:10 AM
  #26
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
They're going to need to be well conditioned this year with the Olympics screwing everything up again. I really wish the players on our team would skip it and just rest...but you know Hank will be out there playing his ass off for Sweeden, killing himself in the process. And Gaborik will probably get hurt.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 02:52 AM
  #27
Sockosensei
Registered User
 
Sockosensei's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nippon
Country: Japan
Posts: 357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
2nd line center? - $7 million dollars

2nd pair D-man? - $6 million dollars

Coach who can instantly turn players into rabid, goal-scoring, forechecking wolves with a glance? - Priceless.
Hahaha. That made my day.
From your mouth to God's ears, as they say

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 09:39 AM
  #28
TheRedressor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United Nations
Posts: 3,737
vCash: 500
I am wondering if Wade Redden and Michal Rozsival will come into training camp in adequate shape. If so do you think their play will improve as a result?

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 10:01 AM
  #29
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
I am wondering if Wade Redden and Michal Rozsival will come into training camp in adequate shape. If so do you think their play will improve as a result?
I don't... Because their problems are not conditioning related, their mental... I.E. they do not make the right decisions out on the ice at the right times... Examples being - when to shoot the puck, when to pinch, clearing the puck from the defensive zone, etc...

I think they're both physically capable of being good players, but they do not 'think' the game well on any consistent basis... Hard to imagine that it's something Redden will suddenly remember how to do again, dating back to his all-star days in Ottawa...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 11:30 AM
  #30
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I don't... Because their problems are not conditioning related, their mental... I.E. they do not make the right decisions out on the ice at the right times... Examples being - when to shoot the puck, when to pinch, clearing the puck from the defensive zone, etc...

I think they're both physically capable of being good players, but they do not 'think' the game well on any consistent basis... Hard to imagine that it's something Redden will suddenly remember how to do again, dating back to his all-star days in Ottawa...
If Redden plays the way he played in the playoffs for an entire season he will be just fine. Unfortunately people will still bash him even if he plays well because they all they do is look at the contract. Sad really.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 12:42 PM
  #31
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
If Redden plays the way he played in the playoffs for an entire season he will be just fine. Unfortunately people will still bash him even if he plays well because they all they do is look at the contract. Sad really.
I don't find it to be sad... The main reason why his play stood out in the playoffs was because it was better than what we saw in the regular season... It was relative to his disappointing regular season performance...

Do you think any Caps fans were watching that series and were left with the impression that Redden had a great series... I highly highly doubt it... Why? Because they didn't see the regular season Redden on a consistent basis to be able to weigh the 2 different performances... His play in the playoffs on it's own, I would say was slightly above average.... Don't forget that most fans are also comparing his and Rozsival's play to that of Staal & Girardi who struggled, so it's also relative in that sense... Rangers defense as a whole gave up a lot of good scoring chances to the Caps high powered offense... Lundqvist had to work MUCH harder than Varlamov did...

@ $6.5 mil a season, Redden needs to play as a top pairing defenseman... Not as a top pairing defenseman on the Rangers who lack defensive depth at this point, but as a top pairing defenseman who would be one on any team.... Hypothetically, lets assume he got overpaid by $2 mil because of free agency, would you be happy with his contributions to this team as a defenseman who makes $4.5 mil? I wouldn't be... Not when you have younger, less experieneced, and much lowered paid defensemen contributing as much or more than Redden....

In a salary cap world, when your performance/price ratio is as disparate as Redden's, you not only hurt yourself but you hurt your team's chances for success...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 12:58 PM
  #32
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I don't... Because their problems are not conditioning related, their mental... I.E. they do not make the right decisions out on the ice at the right times... Examples being - when to shoot the puck, when to pinch, clearing the puck from the defensive zone, etc...

I think they're both physically capable of being good players, but they do not 'think' the game well on any consistent basis... Hard to imagine that it's something Redden will suddenly remember how to do again, dating back to his all-star days in Ottawa...
Rozsival was coming off major hip surgery last offseason, so I would say the problems he endured the first half of last season were conditioning-related. I thought he played pretty well the second half.

Wade Redden's main problem was it looked like he was skating in sand all season.

These guys didnt just forget how to play the game of hockey.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:05 PM
  #33
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,602
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I don't find it to be sad... The main reason why his play stood out in the playoffs was because it was better than what we saw in the regular season... It was relative to his disappointing regular season performance...

Do you think any Caps fans were watching that series and were left with the impression that Redden had a great series... I highly highly doubt it... Why? Because they didn't see the regular season Redden on a consistent basis to be able to weigh the 2 different performances... His play in the playoffs on it's own, I would say was slightly above average.... Don't forget that most fans are also comparing his and Rozsival's play to that of Staal & Girardi who struggled, so it's also relative in that sense... Rangers defense as a whole gave up a lot of good scoring chances to the Caps high powered offense... Lundqvist had to work MUCH harder than Varlamov did...

@ $6.5 mil a season, Redden needs to play as a top pairing defenseman... Not as a top pairing defenseman on the Rangers who lack defensive depth at this point, but as a top pairing defenseman who would be one on any team.... Hypothetically, lets assume he got overpaid by $2 mil because of free agency, would you be happy with his contributions to this team as a defenseman who makes $4.5 mil? I wouldn't be... Not when you have younger, less experieneced, and much lowered paid defensemen contributing as much or more than Redden....

In a salary cap world, when your performance/price ratio is as disparate as Redden's, you not only hurt yourself but you hurt your team's chances for success...
I disagree. I think he was excellent in the playoffs, having zero to do with his regular season performance (which, defensively, I thought was okay).

Also, I know a number of Capitals fans that thought he was very, very good in the series.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:26 PM
  #34
BwayBshirt
Registered User
 
BwayBshirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My NY State of Mind
Country: United States
Posts: 3,403
vCash: 500
Camp Torturella is gonna be fun to hear about again.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 08:11 PM
  #35
TheRedressor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United Nations
Posts: 3,737
vCash: 500
I noticed last season that rozi and redden both struggled with their conditiong as well as Mara. Several times our forwards would get burned by smaller faster teams. Heck Staal wasn't so quick himself. The only dman who was in top shape last season was Girardi.

Heck I can remember numerous obstruction calls on Rozi in situations where he wasn't/couldn't move his feet.
Posted via Mobile Device

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 09:29 PM
  #36
bmundus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: seattle, wa
Country: United States
Posts: 204
vCash: 500
when i heard torts talking last season about conditioning i thought cardio(game shape). if you watched a game even under renney you could see that players just looked flat in the 3rd.
i don't think he meant his players are in bad shape, because they were not. I'm sure most were strong like ox but could not out run a 3 legged dog.
you really cant do anything to replace wind sprints, so if they were not doing anything like those then you will loose your cardio strength as the season goes on. i know you cant do them all the time but once every two weeks or at least after losses. nothing says work harder like a bunch of wind sprints(skating not running). riding the bike or running is just not the same.
the object with practice is to make the game seem easier in every aspect. so you need a hard practice to do that. you also don't want to kill your players. so its a balance.
the awesome lack of injury's is from core muscle strength and playing a controlled game. if you go out there and play like a young JR then you will get hurt. it will be fun as hell to watch you until you do but you will. renney had his team do both. if the rangers can keep that part of the game going but also play the torts style, the injury's should not be huge for the rangers. but can you play both in control and the uptempo safe is death style? i guess we will see. i think avery misses more games then anyone this year, just my guess.

bmundus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 11:07 PM
  #37
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,651
vCash: 500
The problem I have with Redden is the playoff performance isn't even up to the standard of the contract he's got. Just being good is not good enough. You should give a 6 year $39 mil contract to an elite defensemen--not someone who's playing just well or pretty good or better than pretty good--and we've got 5 more years left of him. We could argue whether it's his fault that Sather signed him to it but at the end of the day his performance doesn't match it--sometimes in fact his performance was awful. Consider he's suppose to help on the pwp and puts up a pretty ordinary 27 points. His defense is shaky. Rozsvial is better overall but he got a huge raise as well and his point totals went from 40 to 30. People wondering where the pwp went--well the main point guys were a part of the problem. These two guys IMO are just not worth what they're making--and many Ranger fans wonder how long it's going to take someone like Gilroy, Del Zotto or Sanguinetti to displace them because that's obviously in the cards.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.