HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: All ADULT HOCKEY Talk Around the NYC/Westchester Area

Old
01-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Choice

vCash: 500
OT: All ADULT HOCKEY Talk Around the NYC/Westchester Area

Any of you guys play in the Chelsea Piers house league? I havent played in about a year and would love to get back into it, so I'm thinking about signing up as an individual and just getting assigned to a team for the spring league. I played there as a kid but not since I went away to college. It's really expensive but there's nowhere else I know of to play in the city.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 07:03 PM
HenrikO'doyle

Is fighting allowed?

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 08:20 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikO'doyle View Post
Is fighting allowed?
....its for fun. Obviously no fighting.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Doyle

Definately no checking either, I can't play hockey nonphysically... its just not my game/never will be.

So lame how hard it is to play ice in nyc

Anyone know of an adult league with checking?

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 09:00 PM
Choice

Yeah it sucks with no checking, but I'd rather that than not play at all, or god forbid...basketball (despite that being free, and being able to find a game pretty easily). But yeah, one crap thing about living in nyc is how hard it is to find ice.

I dont think there are any mens leagues out there with checking.

Old
01-14-2007, 09:05 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

there's the abe stark arena in brooklyn, the lasker rink at the top of central park, the wollman rink towards the middle-lower part of central park and chelsea piers. as JC says, i dont think there are men's leagues anywhere that have checking. something cool is the wollman rink offers "shinny" hockey where you only play with shinguards and a helmet i believe.

Old
01-14-2007, 09:12 PM
Choice

Wollman is outdoors, which isnt the worst thing but can get bad. What about the worlds fair rink in flushing?

Old
01-15-2007, 12:49 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
Wollman is outdoors, which isnt the worst thing but can get bad. What about the worlds fair rink in flushing?
they don't have any leagues.. just CHSAA teams practice there and JV plays games occassionally

pretty sure Iceland has a adult league.. that's about 30-40 min from the city, I think exit 34 off the LIE

how do they play at wollman's without any boards?

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 10:00 PM
BRONX_MADNESS*

Chelsea is synonymous with hotdogs, plugs, rich bankers who didn't start skating until 40, and gongshows (the bad kind). I don't really like it there. But they do have Ice time in the mornings on Saturday and Sunday, 20 bucks for a good chunk of ice (I stopped going to those a few years ago, it seems they cut down to just saturday, less ice and same price). It's called "Ronnie's Ice" , if any of you boys are lookin for ice call chelsea and ask what time ronnie's ice is for the weekend and what the price is...it's cool if u just wanna have a good time I guess. I would go but I have games.

And if any of you guys call...let m eknow how much it is and what the hours are, I'd be interested to know.

BRONX_MADNESS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 10:03 PM
BRONX_MADNESS*

And I mean if you're looking for cheap ice there's always the ice hutch which is about 12 minutes outside of the city, cheap ice mondays and fridays in the morning, they also have adult open every now and then...also there's the new roc rink 20 min outside the city but that place is pretty gay so I'd avoid it if I were you...

Old
01-15-2007, 10:10 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRONX_MADNESS View Post
And I mean if you're looking for cheap ice there's always the ice hutch which is about 12 minutes outside of the city, cheap ice mondays and fridays in the morning, they also have adult open every now and then...also there's the new roc rink 20 min outside the city but that place is pretty gay so I'd avoid it if I were you...
i didn't know they actually play on new roc.. why is it gay? that rink looks new and is really nice.. i went there a couple times just to skate and go to the other places

ice hutch in mt. vernon imo is one of the better rinks around the city

if you're gonna travel that distance and direction you might as well look into that rink in yonkers.. it's right on the highway going up the NYS thruway, you even see it right before the exit.. exit 6 tuckaho road..good memories there like our first all out brawl in hs against arch bishop molloy..

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 10:12 PM
BRONX_MADNESS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
i didn't know they actually play on new roc.. why is it gay? that rink looks new and is really nice.. i went there a couple times just to skate and go to the other places

you're right about ice hutch.. it's right on the highway going up the NYS thruway, you even see it right before the exit.. exit 6 tuckaho road..good memories there like our first all out brawl in hs against arch bishop molloy..

if you're going to travel that distance from the city, might look into mt. vernon which imo is one of the better rinks around the city
It's not gay it's straight, and pretty cheap too...but I don't like the management they are dicks over there, plus they overcharge on the hotdogs...ice hutch is awesome sick staff sick food bar sick cost for icetime sick location

But yeah they play at new roc, mainly during early/late hours...and tuckahoe is too cold IMO...

Old
01-15-2007, 11:13 PM
dank

a good link i found with 30 seconds and google:

http://www.rinktime.com/skating_rink..._vernon_ny.cfm

has info about Ice Hutch, and a google map with nearby rinks. seems that general site is good too, after all they claim to be "all about Rinks!"..

good luck.

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 02:45 PM
HenrikO'doyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
a good link i found with 30 seconds and google:

http://www.rinktime.com/skating_rink..._vernon_ny.cfm

has info about Ice Hutch, and a google map with nearby rinks. seems that general site is good too, after all they claim to be "all about Rinks!"..

good luck.
Yeah the Ice Hutch is awesome, I was there last week pretty much by myself skating around.

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 02:53 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
I dont think there are any mens leagues out there with checking.
What checking? We have girls and even mothers (kids watching from the stands) playing in our league (upstate). It is more difficult, BTW, not to play body.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Chelsea is synonymous with hotdogs, plugs, rich bankers who didn't start skating until 40, and gongshows (the bad kind). I don't really like it there. But they do have Ice time in the mornings on Saturday and Sunday, 20 bucks for a good chunk of ice (I stopped going to those a few years ago, it seems they cut down to just saturday, less ice and same price). It's called "Ronnie's Ice" , if any of you boys are lookin for ice call chelsea and ask what time ronnie's ice is for the weekend and what the price is...it's cool if u just wanna have a good time I guess. I would go but I have games.

And if any of you guys call...let m eknow how much it is and what the hours are, I'd be interested to know.
This is kind of misleading seeing as how there are 8 men's league divisions. Most guys in the Elite Division played DIII with some from the AHL, ECHL, and Europe. On the other end of the spectrum, D8 is pretty god terrible. It's mostly people just starting out. Contact either Jim Bugenhagen or Bashawn Davis for more info.

Chelsea is extremely expensive across the board ($30 for open hockey to give you an example). Ronnie's Ice is usually early on Saturdays and is $20 for an our and twenty minutes (half drills/half scrimmage). It's a mix of kids and adults with a wide range of ability.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 03:31 PM
pld459666

http://www.danburyice.com/default.asp

pretty good league, fun

No checking (incendental contact allowed )

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 03:42 PM
nni

aviator in brooklyn has leagues. chelsea has some competitive divisions, but the price is ridiculous.

nni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nni View Post
aviator in brooklyn has leagues. chelsea has some competitive divisions, but the price is ridiculous.
Aviator also has two NHL sized rinks. Chelsea has one 85'X185' and one 95'x195' (NHL sized rinks are pretty much impossible there due to the size of the pier that the rink sits on. Hence the name "Chelsea piers")

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 03:56 PM
nni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Aviator also has two NHL sized rinks. Chelsea has one 85'X185' and one 95'x195' (NHL sized rinks are pretty much impossible there due to the size of the pier that the rink sits on. Hence the name "Chelsea piers")
i didnt know there was size difference. good to know.

Old
04-11-2007, 03:57 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
how is aviator? i was thinking about signing up there for some adult lessons.

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 03:59 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
It's not gay it's straight, and pretty cheap too...but I don't like the management they are dicks over there, plus they overcharge on the hotdogs...ice hutch is awesome sick staff sick food bar sick cost for icetime sick location

But yeah they play at new roc, mainly during early/late hours...and tuckahoe is too cold IMO...

Aww, well thanks....I worked there part time for 2 1/2 years until December

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 04:01 PM
nni

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post
a teammate went there, said the facilities were very nice. he wasnt happy with the league though.

Old
04-11-2007, 08:39 PM
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post
i play in aviator and sometimes in chelsea as well.

actually i'm in the advanced learn to play in aviator. It's nice, you actually have to know how to play, because they make you sweat and skate. I would recommend it to people who want to learn the basics or get back into the game. Myself, i've played roller my entire life so this is all new to me, but i'm getting into it.

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 09:21 PM
hottytoddy

I live in NYC right behind MSG.

Where is this Chelsea Piers league?

hottytoddy is offline   Reply With Quote