HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Smyth vs Ryan Malone

Old
08-19-2009, 04:39 PM
KingsCrown

vCash: 500
Ryan Smyth vs Ryan Malone

I know we have Ryan Smyth now, but reading about Ryan Malone at USA Olympic camp got me thinking. Are we happier with Ryan Smyth or would Ryan Malone have been a better overall choice?

Ryan Smyth - 33yo, Captain Canada, 5 30-goal seasons, 5 20 goal seasons, gritty, gets to the front of the net, 6.5 mil cap hit signed until 11/12

Ryan Malone - 29yo, younger, 4 20-goal seasons but longer contract, 4.5 mil cap hit signed until 2015

Dont get me wrong I still love the trade, especially being to get rid of Pressings contract offsets Smyth cap hit and more flexibility with his shorter contract, just wondering what you guys thought?

KingsCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 04:41 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Length of contract is one of the major benefits in this discussion, as well as Smyth's leadership. Malone is an excellent player, and he may be as effective or more than Smyth, but Smyth has top-10 intangibles in the league as far as I'm concerned. The guy has been known as a leader for a while now

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Matt13

Was Malone an option? If not, what is the point?

Tomato / Tomato

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 05:38 PM
KingsCrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13 View Post
Was Malone an option? If not, what is the point?

Tomato / Tomato
Im sure he was an option, especially with Tampas crazy management. Both are power forwards with similar styles, just getting an opinion what people thought. Guess you really didnt have one. Thanks for the input.

Old
08-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsCrown View Post
Im sure he was an option, especially with Tampas crazy management. Both are power forwards with similar styles, just getting an opinion what people thought. Guess you really didnt have one. Thanks for the input.
It's a pointless discussion. You're assuming he was available and that Lombardi would have been interested but you have no idea on either count.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 413
Quote:
Im sure he was an option, especially with Tampas crazy management.
Really? Who has Tampa traded this offseason?

They bought out Prospal and traded away Vrbata and Artyukin. Not exactly a fire sale now is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
It's a pointless discussion.
[/thread]

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 05:56 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Being a Pens fan after a Kings fan, I watched Malone play almost every game during his time in Pittsburgh. He is over paid at his current salary. He brings energy and can score but isn't the warrior that Smyth is. Remember, Malone also played with Malkin for some of the season (when Malkin wasn't on a line w/ Crosby) for Malone's last season with the Pens. IMO, and I like Malone, he is a poor man's Smyth for close to the same amount of money.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
So this isn't a hockey forum for comparing different players and discussion and such?

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Matt13

Quote:

You are sure he was an option based on what? Is it based on the fact that he is still in Tampa and the crazy management never moved him?

Old
08-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
So this isn't a hockey forum for comparing different players and discussion and such?

If you asked me who is the better player, Malone or Smyth I would see you point. If you ask me who the Kings should have got, Pavel Datsyuk or Sidney Crosby, I think its a ridiculous conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Being a Pens fan after a Kings fan, I watched Malone play almost every game during his time in Pittsburgh. He is over paid at his current salary. He brings energy and can score but isn't the warrior that Smyth is. Remember, Malone also played with Malkin for some of the season (when Malkin wasn't on a line w/ Crosby) for Malone's last season with the Pens. IMO, and I like Malone, he is a poor man's Smyth for close to the same amount of money.

I agree on all points except the Warrior spirit. 31 NHL fights.....Did you see Malones face after the playoffs?

Last edited by Matt13: 08-19-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old
08-20-2009, 12:24 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

i'll still take Smyth

length of contract, intangibles etc.

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 11:10 AM
KingsCrown

[QUOTE=Matt13;20820594]If you asked me who is the better player, Malone or Smyth I would see you point. If you ask me who the Kings should have got, Pavel Datsyuk or Sidney Crosby, I think its a ridiculous conversation.

Well Malone name was being thrown around in rumors because of his salary, Datsyuk/Crosby were not.

Thanks Doughty8, JBernierFan, KopitarFan for your useful opinions. Nice to hear your points of view.

Old
08-20-2009, 11:29 AM
KGpens

Smyth for 3 years is a better option then Malone for 6 more imo...

KGpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:11 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
I agree on all points except the Warrior spirit. 31 NHL fights.....Did you see Malones face after the playoffs?

Good point. I guess what I meant was, he does fight but as far as going to the net like Smyth does and take the beating in the blue, Malone's name doesn't really come to mind. In my opinion, Malone is a GREAT 3rd line player, with the likes of Kennedy for the Pens or even what Simmonds can become. A guy who is always reliable, can score, fight and is just an agitator. Not the kind of guy I want to pay that kind of salary too, where as Smyth is. Again, I'm saying this from a point of view who loves both players.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote