HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Ottawa-Chicago Heatley Trade Thread

Old
09-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Juice*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrew View Post
Chicago laughs. They won't do any trades that don't improve them. We either have to throw in Volch, or Foligno++.
Plus, fact is, Hossa is a McDicks guy, and they just signed him. Doesn't exactly encourage high profile UFA's to sign there in the future.
I wouldnt be so positive....chicago's management has had a shaky summer

Juice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Washington Capitals

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSenators11 View Post
I want Hossa

To OTT:
Hossa
Sharp

To CHI
Heatley

Whatever else that needs to go on Ottawa's side to even up the trade's salary
No way.

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 10:18 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
I wouldnt be so positive....chicago's management has had a shaky summer
Talon's offer mix up is all. Hossa's contract is legitimate, just crafty as hell. They are a stable organization, they just made a few mistakes. They're not going to make stupid trades.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 10:20 AM
heat

to ott: Sharp, Byfuglien, Seabrook,

to chi: Heatley, Volchenkov

meets the needs of both teams, ottawa gets two good forwards and a right handed shot defensman who can play with kuba. Chicago gets a superstar sniper who can play with kane or toews and will score 35-50 goals guaranteed every season if healthy, they also get a bruising defensmen whos usually top 3 in hits and blocked shots every year, just the type of dman chicago needs for a long playoff run.

Sharp- 3.9
Byfuglien- 3
Seabrook- 3.5

Heatley- 7.5
Volchy- 2.5

heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 10:23 AM
powerthirst

Quote:
I want Hossa

To OTT:
Hossa
Sharp

To CHI
Heatley

Whatever else that needs to go on Ottawa's side to even up the trade's salary
I think that Sharp + Barker + pick/prospect for Heatley is maybe a little more realistic return.

Obviously some salary would have to come back to Ottawa to make the deal work for Chicago.

Also I don't think that there's anyway in hell that Ottawa trades Volchenkov, perhaps we can stop including him in deals. It's one thing to trade away a talented, disgruntled winger and another thing entirely to let go of the heart and soul of your team.

powerthirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

If a deal were to ever happen here I think the Hawks main objective would be too move enough salary out this year with only some of it on the books for next year. Imagine the deal was dollar for dollar equal this year, but next year one of the Hawks returning players was a UFA who they could choose to resign or, choose to use that money towards Kane, Teith and Toews.

It would be a brillant idea for the Hawks in that sense.

So Heatley, Kelly and Volchenkov

for Campbell, Versteeg, Sharp and Skille

This year its a straight 3 for 3 deal roster swap, however, it takes 2.5$ off the Hawks payroll next year which is the real bonus. They could choose to move Volchenkov for a conditional pick, think Bouwmeester, just to get an extra something out of the deal, or, they could try and keep him if the so choose. Their defence would be much more rounded this year and upfront well, as a Wings fan I would cry.
Heatley, Hossa, Kane, Toews, Bolland..

Zetterberg4Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 10:28 AM
powerthirst

Quote:
Originally Posted by harfo1 View Post
If a deal were to ever happen here I think the Hawks main objective would be too move enough salary out this year with only some of it on the books for next year. Imagine the deal was dollar for dollar equal this year, but next year one of the Hawks returning players was a UFA who they could choose to resign or, choose to use that money towards Kane, Teith and Toews.

This year its a straight 3 for 3 deal roster swap, however, it takes 2.5$ off the Hawks payroll next year which is the real bonus. They could choose to move Volchenkov for a conditional pick, think Bouwmeester, just to get an extra something out of the deal, or, they could try and keep him if the so choose. Their defence would be much more rounded this year and upfront well, as a Wings fan I would cry.
I still don't see Ottawa moving Volchenkov, at least not while they have an excellent chance at resigning him.

Old
09-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Bejamin1*

Hmmm...

We should all realize that Patrick Kane is no longer a Chicago Blackhawk after this year right. There is basically zero chance they can re-sign him without dumping a couple of other players that they just extended over the last few years. They will try hard to dump Campbell. Even in a Campbell for Heater swap they don't gain any cap flexibility so it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Ladd (1.5M) + Byfuglien (3M) + Campbell (7.1M)

For

Heatley (7.5M) + Kelly (2M) + Picard (1M)

However honestly I don't see how that helps Chicago that much or even Ottawa for that matter. The only thing it would help is a run at the Cup this year by adding Hossa & Heatley with the full knowledge that Kane will not be returning.

I just have a really hard time tossing this around in my head. I don't think they will trade Kane but I don't think they will be able to re-sign him either. Do they trade Kane during this season or do they lose him for nothing while taking a run at the cup by adding Heatley. So confusing. Guess we just have to wait and see.

Edit: I suppose one thing we have to consider is that the Hawks will buy-out Huet at some point and go with a 1-2M goaltender instead to create a little bit of extra wiggle room. A lot of cap magic is going to have to happen for them to keep Kane though.

Last edited by Bejamin1*: 09-05-2009 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Because I wanted to...
Bejamin1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Bejamin1*

Hmmm

Alright so I continued to think about this over breakfast and I've come up with another possibility.

Sharp + Ladd + Barker

for

Heatley + Picard + Schubert

The salaries are pretty close and it meets Ottawas demand. Top 6 forward who can score some goals + young quality support forward in Ladd. Decent PMD in Barker who actually had 6 goals and 40 points in 60+ games last year. Chicago gets Heater, a versatile physical player in Schubert, and Picard who can put up 25 points from the back end and play the PP. This seems to me the most likely type of deal.

With this deal Chicago can either turn around and deal Heater at the deadline hoping for a big return of youth and prospects (giving them room to re-sign Toews + Kane + Keith + Seabrooke the year after. Otherwise Chicago can go for the cup this year and then dump Heater to the highest bidder. They don't actually need to keep him since they have Kane. They basically get to choose Heater or Kane at years end.

Bejamin1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejamin1 View Post
Alright so I continued to think about this over breakfast and I've come up with another possibility.

Sharp + Ladd + Barker

for

The salaries are pretty close and it meets Ottawas demand. Top 6 forward who can score some goals + young quality support forward in Ladd. Decent PMD in Barker who actually had 6 goals and 40 points in 60+ games last year. Chicago gets Heater, a versatile physical player in Schubert, and Picard who can put up 25 points from the back end and play the PP. This seems to me the most likely type of deal.

With this deal Chicago can either turn around and deal Heater at the deadline hoping for a big return of youth and prospects (giving them room to re-sign Toews + Kane + Keith + Seabrooke the year after. Otherwise Chicago can go for the cup this year and then dump Heater to the highest bidder. They don't actually need to keep him since they have Kane. They basically get to choose Heater or Kane at years end.
This would be assuming heatley would be willing to waive his NTC for the Hawks to be able to move him...

I still think the hawks would want to move Campbell and not Barker. Ottawa would reluctantly accept, but would want some forward assets. The Hawks would oblige but demand a reliable top 4 dman, or top 6 forward, who isnt signed to an expensive long-term deal, aka Volchenkov.

Ottawa could move him with the premise they try and reaquire him next UFA season.

Campbell, Vertseeg/Bolland and Sharp plus Skille/draft pick

Heatley, Volchenkov and Kelly

Old
09-05-2009, 12:10 PM
powerthirst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejamin1 View Post

Sharp + Ladd + Barker

for

This is a much more realistic deal that I think both teams might accept.

I can see no scenario in which Ottawa trades Volchenkov (barring overpayment like Kane or Toews) and I sincerely doubt that Murray will take Campbell in any deal.

Old
09-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerthirst View Post
This is a much more realistic deal that I think both teams might accept.

I can see no scenario in which Ottawa trades Volchenkov (barring overpayment like Kane or Toews) and I sincerely doubt that Murray will take Campbell in any deal.
sure this deal makes more sense for the Sens but the Hawks?

i dont think volchenkov is really worth desperately holding onto

Old
09-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Mach 9*

If this need be, A Heatley Volchenkov package should look like this.

To CHI (10)
Heatley
Volchenkov

To OTT (10)

Bolland
Barker
Kane

Heatley < Kane, bolland

Volchenkov > Barker

About even when you put it all together

Last edited by Mach 9*: 09-05-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Mach 9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 12:19 PM
powerthirst

Quote:
i dont think volchenkov is really worth desperately holding onto
I don't think that Ottawa fans would agree with this statement. Players like Volchenkov mean a lot more to an organization like Ottawa than just shot-blocking and crushing hits.

Ottawa is an organization that is obviously and desperately in need of more character and heart players, not less.

Old
09-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Asquaredx2

Quote:

Ottawa says no thank you.

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerthirst View Post
I don't think that Ottawa fans would agree with this statement. Players like Volchenkov mean a lot more to an organization like Ottawa than just shot-blocking and crushing hits.

Ottawa is an organization that is obviously and desperately in need of more character and heart players, not less.
I guess thats true. I guess I was just thinking given the young dman talent in their system their real need is upfront. Volchenkov may play his way out of their top 4 within a few years and since he is a UFA this summer, what happens if he demands Komisarek type money?

But I agree, Bolland, Barker and Kane for heater and Volchenkov is also good.

Old
09-05-2009, 12:34 PM
powerthirst

Quote:
I guess thats true. I guess I was just thinking given the young dman talent in their system their real need is upfront. Volchenkov may play his way out of their top 4 within a few years and since he is a UFA this summer, what happens if he demands Komisarek type money?

But I agree, Bolland, Barker and Kane for heater and Volchenkov is also good.
All good points, and I agree that deal is enticing.

As for Volchenkov I guess if he can't be signed by the trade deadline then he can be traded but I imagine that the return will be enormous.

First choice would be to resign at a reasonable rate, second choice would be to move him at the deadline. I just don't think that he should be thrown into any Heatley deal.

Old
09-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Blackwater13*

Quote:

To CHI (10)
Heatley
Volchenkov

To OTT (10)

Bolland
Barker
Kane
LOL

Blackwater13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 01:27 PM
skg

As a neutral observer, I don't see how any trade for Heatley cannot include Campbell going the other way. Chicago has screwed themselves so badly with the cap that the only way to keep Toews, Kane and Keith is to offer them long term, cap friendly deals similar to Hossa or Luongo. By this time next year, it's possible for Chicago to have as many as six players on those types of deals (though I wouldn't consider Heatley or Campbell's deals "cap friendly") . No way that's going to happen. If any deal gets worked out, I don't think it's as complicated as a lot of the proposals here, it'll probably be as simple as Heatley for Campbell + prospect(s) swap.

It'll be interesting to see how this works out because you have two desperate teams looking to work their way out of a hole, one before the start of this season, and the other before next season.

skg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 03:17 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
And the "insane undervaluing of Heatley" is based on his value 2 years ago? Do you know how crazy that sounds?

Since then, the following has happened:
1) Heatey production dropped by over 20%, while getting similiar icetime with all-star linemates.
2) He's asked for a trade, and then apparently invoked his NTC a couple of times to avoid being traded somewhere he didn't want to go.
3) The salary cap is flat (and potentially shrinking) compared to 10-15% growth
4) There are almost no teams with available cap space, and teams with cap space don't appear willing to pick up salary at this point in time
5) More and more players have NTC's in affect, which signicantly impact GM's ability to get deals done.

All of those factors play VERY significantly into Heatley's value. Much morese than a thread on HF from a couple of years ago.

I'm not saying the Sens are going to give Heatley away. Just the eventual deal (if made) will include some assets with "issues" (contract term, cap hit, etc) coming back. I agree that the Hawks deal you mention is potentially fair - but I'm not sure if the Hawks would make that deal.
The best post I've seen since June in a Heatley trade thread.

Those 5 factors are exactly what need to be hammered into some Sens fans heads. People who think they'll get close to fair market value for Heatley because had back to back 50 goal, 100 point seasons are out of their minds. He hasn't done that since 07, his numbers have gone down in each of the past two seasons, he's asked to be traded and hasn't backed off of the demand, and he's invoked his NTC to block at least one trade. On top of that, the cap is either staying put or going down, and there's not much of a market in terms of teams that are willing to and able to afford Heatley.

It would probably be in Ottawa's best interest to hold onto him and deal him at the deadline, and Murray isn't a complete moron, I'm sure he knows this by now.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladium Drive View Post
Yeah,it works better with San Jose . The reported rumour was

San Jose sends Cheechoo + 1st for Smid and Penner
Then ships Smid , Penner plus something else for Heatley
Hmm, as an Oil fan I wouldn't mind this. The 1st will be 24-30, which I think isn't quite worth the time invested in Smid, but I would prefer Cheechoo over Penner (because of contract, term, and more physical style).

As far as a straight up deal between CHI and OTT (if it had to involve Campbell), I'd try for this:

To CHI: Heatley, Shannon

To OTT: Campbell, Ladd, 1st 10, 1st 11

Saves CHI 600, 000 which may not make a world of difference, but gives them some flexibility for this upcoming season (which they don't really have at this point). They also move an upcoming RFA who will be due a substantial raise (likely in the Bolland vicinity), but would be 4th on the prority list behind Toews, Kane and Keith. The 2 firsts counterbalance the additional years of contract Campbell has beyond Heatley.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Tyler Myers

Quote:

To CHI (10)
Heatley
Volchenkov

To OTT (10)

Bolland
Barker
Kane
throw in toews to balance the deal

Tyler Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 06:24 PM
MoreGore

There is zero chance that Heatley goes to Chicago if Cambell is coming back. Cambell`s contract is horrible, and with Karlsson, Cowen and Wiercioch arriving on the scene soon there is no need or space for him. It also means losing a defensive player in the not to distant future because of lack of space to sigh him.

Cambell`s contract has negative value.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 07:15 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Quote:

To CHI (10)
Heatley
Volchenkov

To OTT (10)

Bolland
Barker
Kane

Heatley < Kane, bolland

Volchenkov > Barker

About even when you put it all together
This one is pretty bad. The only way a Heatley trade would take place is if Campbell went the opposite way to almost offset the contracts. If that were to happen, Volchenkov would need to come the other way to offset the loss of the defender as well. These two teams really don't make good trading partners because they are both trying to unload heavy contracts. I'd say something like:

: Heatley, Volchenkov

: Campbell, Byfuglien, Skille

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

vCash: 50
The Hawks have no interest in Heatley. Why is this even a thread?

If there's "lots of rumors", they aren't coming out of Chicago. Sounds like Ottawa pipe dreams.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote