HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Betts Offered Tryout from Flyers (Update: signs)

Old
08-19-2009, 06:52 PM
HAPPY HOUR

vCash: 500
Shocked he hasn't been picked up yet.. Would love to know why he wasn't fit in some teams payroll early into free agency.. Anyone know if he has/hasn't been medically cleared to resume skating/playing yet??

Bigger fish to fry i guess for most GM's..

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 06:59 PM
The Thomas J.*

Letting Betts walk was a mistake, but him & Brashear never could have existed on the same team let alone the same line.

Who ever gets him will be getting a fine Situational Player.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

I hope he gets signed. It's strange too because it seems like Edmonton is the perfect situation. The Oilers have a lot of small, skilled forwards and not enough gritty guys like Betts, not to mention the immediate boost he would give their 27th ranked PK. Throw in the fact that Renney is there now and you'd think it would be a done deal.

Is this going to end up being the toughest offseason for FA's?

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 07:05 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Betts would certainly help teams who had trouble killing penalties last season. He helped the Rangers to the best PK% and only Minnesota gave up fewer power play goals total (36 to the Rangers' 40). Looking at the numbers from last year, the ten worst penalty killing teams by percentage were Toronto, Atlanta, Phoenix, Edmonton, Tampa, Detroit, Dallas, Anaheim, Islanders and New Jersey. Now some of these teams made changes that will help them kill penalties but there still should be someone interested in Betts out there.

Not-So-Fun Fact: Blair led the Rangers in playoff scoring in 2006.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 07:05 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I know plenty about Boyle, make no mistake. I just think a 3rd round pick was a overpayment and a waste on our part. Will having Boyle over Betts make the difference of even 1 rank in the conference? I doubt it
No but it will make a difference in how much of a punishing team we are vs a 'get pushed around" team we were a year ago.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 07:12 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
No but it will make a difference in how much of a punishing team we are vs a 'get pushed around" team we were a year ago.
This is exactly why Betts was not re-signed. Instead of making the 4th line a "shutdown" line, it's going to be a rough and tumble line that gives the opponent a hard time. And I'm not sure how effective the 4th line was a "shutdown" line to begin with. I thought Betts was far more effective on the PK as opposed to even strength.

Betts is a great defensive player, but unfortunately he does not have much physical presence. Torts doesn't want the team to get pushed around which is why Boyle and Brashear are around and Betts and Sjostrom aren't.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 07:21 PM
AXN

Rangers need to sign Dubinsky. Betts is only one PK guy. Others can step up. Boyle and Anisimov can kill penalties and so can Dubinsky and Drury. Rangers need to sign Dubinsky!

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 07:31 PM
BrianNYR

I just wish he had some scoring touch. He's very fun to watch on the PK when him and freddy just shut everyone down.
A player as hard working as him with a scoring touch is pretty hard to find.

BrianNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 07:54 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
It's strange too because it seems like Edmonton is the perfect situation.
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...824/story.html

Edmonton wants him, but they are trying to get their caproom in shape first. They have a boatload of bottom line guys that need to be re-organized. And throw in the Heatley situation in the mix, Edmonton hasn't really addressed anything beyond swapping Roloson for Khabibulin.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 08:11 PM
AXN

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post

Edmonton wants him, but they are trying to get their caproom in shape first. They have a boatload of bottom line guys that need to be re-organized. And throw in the Heatley situation in the mix, Edmonton hasn't really addressed anything beyond swapping Roloson for Khabibulin.
Great, he can play in his home town.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 08:29 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Hope he finds a good fit somewhere. Really pulling for him.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 09:30 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

While I hope he finds a job somewhere, I am very glad the organization has cut ties with Betts. He was a place holder here who did one thing well--kill penalties. Other than that, he's a center who can't set up his wings, is not terribly physical and is somewhat overrated defensively at even strength. Very honestly, in my eyes, he's a marginal NHLer, who's not going to get any better.

Flame away.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 09:58 PM
SML

I don't want to diminish what he's done here, because I really do like the guy, but I said all these same things when Jed Ortmeyer left. The PK is gonna suffer, we're gonna regret this, blah, blah, blah. But I was wrong. We did fine. Every now and then you gotta trust the mgmnt. They're not going to be right 100% of the time, but they aren't wrong 100% of the time either. I like Betts, but I don't think he fits Tortorella's "safe is death" philosophy. If you have the choice to have him on the roster and not be used properly, or to have someone else who will be used to their potential, I think you have to go with the latter of the two. Wish you well Bettsy, please dont sign with the Devils.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 10:26 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I think Boyle has really great potential and that its not a zero sum game between him and Betts.

Boyle was a first round pick, who the Kings later tried to change into a defenseman...

I think he has nice upside and considering what the rangers have done with their previous 3rd round picks, I like the move.

They took Grachev in the 3rd but beyond that getting an NHL ready forward with Boyle's size its a good deal.

so just to be clear. I think the Rangers can have BOTH Boyle and Betts on the squad

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 10:59 PM
Thefalkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I don't want to diminish what he's done here, because I really do like the guy, but I said all these same things when Jed Ortmeyer left. The PK is gonna suffer, we're gonna regret this, blah, blah, blah. But I was wrong. We did fine. Every now and then you gotta trust the mgmnt.
It isn't the same thing with the PK situation though. We lost Sjo, Betts, and Mara, not just one player this time.

But anyway, I wouldn't mind him back on the team at all. He gives 110% all of the time on the PK.

Last edited by Thefalkon: 08-19-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:48 AM
Balej20*

What's his injury situation? Is he still hurt or is he ready to go?

He's a class act, hope he finds himself in a good situation.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 07:15 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post

Not true

Dan Tencer Edmonton talk show host spoke with Betts yesterday

Quote:
Was nice to be back at the rink today. The season is a grind, but I can't wait for it to start. Also, Betts told me Oilers aren't an option.
about 13 hours ago from web
http://twitter.com/dantencer

I read somewhere last week that Tambellini is not high on Betts.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 09:57 AM
WheresBarnaby

This makes no sense. Betts is known throughout the league as a solid player through and through. I remember last year an i an on air interview another coach, (Boudreau was it?) said he was the most underated player on the team. Shoulda kept him over Voros in a second. I don't know how he's not signed; mind boggling.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 10:01 AM
94now

Betts is another "Torts victim". Should Renney be around he would be resigned by now. But as an old coach fav he has no future here. Sad.
His departure leaves the hole that Sather will have hard time to fill. Boyle is no John Madden. Never will be.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 10:29 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Betts is another "Torts victim". Should Renney be around he would be resigned by now. But as an old coach fav he has no future here. Sad.
His departure leaves the hole that Sather will have hard time to fill. Boyle is no John Madden. Never will be.
Betts was no John Madden, so what the hell difference does it make?

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 10:51 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I loved betts....one of my favorite rangers his entire time here

however, the betts situation is a perfect example of this team making some type of plan and sticking to it

they want players that are going to work in the system they want to implement, so i credit them for doing so

you can debate all day day whether the system change is for the better or worse but this is neither the time nor place

i just hope they keep this philiosphy for the next few seasons or longer...we CAN NOT blow up this team and regroup every year...if we build this team with a specific style in mind (which we appear to be doing) then the future looks very bright

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I believe Betts was the longest tenured Ranger, no? Since he played a few games after being traded for in 03/04?

I guess that leaves Lundqvist and Rozsival as the elder statesmen.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 11:28 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
I loved betts....one of my favorite rangers his entire time here

however, the betts situation is a perfect example of this team making some type of plan and sticking to it

they want players that are going to work in the system they want to implement, so i credit them for doing so

you can debate all day day whether the system change is for the better or worse but this is neither the time nor place

i just hope they keep this philiosphy for the next few seasons or longer...we CAN NOT blow up this team and regroup every year...if we build this team with a specific style in mind (which we appear to be doing) then the future looks very bright
I dont agree entirely.

I wouldnt see the harm at all in keeping Betts around as the 4th line center/penalty killer. Especially considering Torts uses his 4th line so sparingly. Perhaps Boyle is a slight offensive upgrade, but how much is that going to matter when hes playing 5 mins a night with Donald Brashear on his wing? Betts would have been a great team guy who knew his role, and could contribute to the PK (which may have problems this season).

Secondly, do you think theres really some sort of long-term plan in place? Sather has been flying by the seat of his pants in the regard since he got here. The majority of this team will be blown up again whenever Sather makes Tortorella his next fall guy.

Thats when you can say hello to Coach Messier.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 11:30 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

If the Sens end up trading Kelly I can almost promise you the Sens will make contact.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 11:38 AM
NYROrtsFan

I think you people assuming that Boyle plays physical are just wrong... By all accounts, he does very little of that. So to make up for it, he better be good on the PK, scoring, or even passing. NONE of which he's good at.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote