HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

List of oldest NHL players

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-19-2009, 03:46 PM
  #1
Marc08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 663
vCash: 500
List of oldest NHL players

I recently looked at the "List of oldest NHL players" in wikipedia. I realized that Louis Holmes is placed at 27th despite he was officially the oldest former NHL player ever. Does anybody know the confirmation on all the players who were edited as living in the wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_NHL_players

Marc08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 03:57 PM
  #2
RabbinsDuck
Registered User
 
RabbinsDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brighton, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 4,728
vCash: 500
hockey-reference.com is great for that:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pp/p...=&order_by=age

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 05:05 PM
  #3
Doomsday Device
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Posts: 2,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbinsDuck View Post
hockey-reference.com is great for that:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pp/p...=&order_by=age
I think you mistook his question. He's asking about the oldest living former NHLer and how many players on the Wikipedia list are actually still alive.

I think the only way to confirm any of those names would be to do some searches through newspaper databases for obituaries and see if you can cross anybody off the list.

Doomsday Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 06:08 AM
  #4
State Of Hockey 8
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 81
vCash: 500
Even at 51 years old, Gordie Howe was able to get 41 points, thats simply amazing for someone over 50 I think.

State Of Hockey 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 06:33 AM
  #5
RabbinsDuck
Registered User
 
RabbinsDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brighton, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 4,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Device View Post
I think you mistook his question. He's asking about the oldest living former NHLer and how many players on the Wikipedia list are actually still alive.

I think the only way to confirm any of those names would be to do some searches through newspaper databases for obituaries and see if you can cross anybody off the list.
Ah... yes, I've tried determining if someone was alive or not, and that is the best way to do it -- and unfortunately you have to do it on an individual basis. Former NHL players will usually pop up under a google search with NHL 'Name' deceased/orbituaries/died - if they are no longer with us.

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 04:51 PM
  #6
lafleurfan10
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
official list.

I asked myself the very same question not too long ago, I have a very accurate list on hand, the players listed have been contacted to make sure that they are still living, and also the SIHR is great for determining if a player is deceased or not their records are awesome. I also recommend that if perhaps any of you wanted to get into contact with former players check out the hockeydb forum, my list is also posted there. www.hockeydb.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5 anyway heres the list.

#1. Lou Holmes 98 this year **OFFICIALLY THE OLDEST FORMER NHLER EVER**
#2. Al Suomi 96 this year (last living member of the 36/37 all american blackhawks team
#3. Don Willson 95 this year
#4. Bill Chadwick 94 this year (referee, invented hand signals) HHOF
#5. Murray Armstrong 94 this year (last living player to have played for both the NYA and the Brooklyn Americans
#6. Pete Langelle 93 this year
#7. Ernie Laforce 93 this year (played on game fore the habs 1942
#8. Oscar Aubuchon 93 this year
#9. Red Carr 92 this year
#10. Tony Bukovich 91 this year
#11. Elmer Lach 91 this year HHOF
#12. Milt Schmidt 91 this year HHOF
#13. Connie Dion 91 this year
#14. John Mahaffy 91 this year
#15. Herb Carnegie 90 this year (not really an NHL player but deserves to be on the list.
#16. Wally Stanowski 90 this year
#17. Edgar Laprade 90 this year HHOF
#18. Ed Barry 90 this year
#19. Emile Bouchard 89 this year HHOF
#20. Jud McAtee 89 this year
#21. Bill Benson 89 this year (last living player to have only played with the Brooklyn Americans)
#22. Bob Fillion 88 this year
#23. Tony Licari 88 this year
#24. Jean-Paul Gladu 88 this year
#25. Norm McAtee 88 this year
#26. Murray Henderson 88 this year
#27. Howard Riopelle 88 this year
#28. Armand Gaudreault 88 this year
#29. Johnny Bower 87 this year (charges $1 per signature)
#30. Jim Conacher 86 this year
#31. Gaye Stewart 86 this year
#32. Chuck Scherza 86 this year
#33. Keith "Bingo" Allen 86 this year HHOF (can also be reached through Philly)
#34. Leo Reise Jr. 86 this year
#35. Tod Campeau 86 this year

hope this helps.

lafleurfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 04:54 PM
  #7
lafleurfan10
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
also most of the players on that list have passed on, it doesn't look to be too accurate. I can see at least 20 players just off the top of my head that I know are no longer with us, and the others ones over the age of 100 can be confirmed as deceased by the SIHR records.

lafleurfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 05:00 PM
  #8
lafleurfan10
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
You guys should check out the SIHR records they're very good, also I made my own more accurate list the players on this list have been contacted as to make sure they are still living. Check out this site as well, www.hockeydb.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5

#1. Lou Holmes 98 this year **OFFICIALLY THE OLDEST FORMER NHLER EVER**
#2. Al Suomi 96 this year (last living member of the 36/37 all amercian blackhawks
#3. Don Willson 95 this year
#4. Bill Chadwick 94 this year (referee, invented hand signals) HHOF
#5. Murray Armstrong 94 this year (last living NYA and brooklyn americans player)
#6. Pete Langelle 93 this year
#7. Ernie Laforce 93 this year (played on game with the habs in 1942)
#8. Oscar Aubuchon 93 this year
#9. Red Carr 92 this year
#10. Tony Bukovich 91 this year
#11. Elmer Lach 91 this year HHOF
#12. Milt Schmidt 91 this year HHOF
#13. Connie Dion 91 this year
#14. John Mahaffy 91 this year
#15. Herb Carnegie 90 this year (never made the NHL but deserves to be on this list)
#16. Wally Stanowski 90 this year
#17. Edgar Laprade 90 this year HHOF
#18. Ed Barry 90 this year
#19. Emile Bouchard 89 this year HHOF
#20. Jud McAtee 89 this year
#21. Bill Benson 89 this year (last living player to have only played with the Brooklyn Americans)
#22. Bob Fillion 88 this year
#23. Tony Licari 88 this year
#24. Jean-Paul Gladu 88 this year
#25. Norm McAtee 88 this year
#26. Murray Henderson 88 this year
#27. Howard Riopelle 88 this year
#28. Armand Gaudreault 88 this year
#29. Johnny Bower 87 this year
#30. Jim Conacher 86 this year
#31. Gaye Stewart 86 this year
#32. Chuck Scherza 86 this year
#33. Keith "Bingo" Allen 86 this year HHOF
#34. Leo Reise Jr. 86 this year
#35. Tod Campeau 86 this year

Hope this helps.

lafleurfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2009, 07:58 PM
  #9
judymcatee
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
Alive and well

I can guarantee that Norm McAtee is still alive. May not be still playing hockey but shot a 73 on the golf links summer 2009.

judymcatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 02:55 PM
  #10
justsomeguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 599
vCash: 500
Both Bill Chadwick and Ernie Laforce passed away in the past little while.

justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2009, 04:19 PM
  #11
RabbinsDuck
Registered User
 
RabbinsDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brighton, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 4,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by judymcatee View Post
I can guarantee that Norm McAtee is still alive. May not be still playing hockey but shot a 73 on the golf links summer 2009.
So I had to look up Norm - he registered 1 point in the NHL with Boston in '47 - heck of a lot better than me

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 01:12 AM
  #12
Peter9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc08 View Post
I recently looked at the "List of oldest NHL players" in wikipedia. I realized that Louis Holmes is placed at 27th despite he was officially the oldest former NHL player ever. Does anybody know the confirmation on all the players who were edited as living in the wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_NHL_players
I clicked the link, and apparently the Wikipedia article has been deleted. I read the discussion notes that the Wiki editors made about the status of the article, and apparently the information was considered too trivial for inclusion, which, given what Wikipedia does include, is a distinction difficult to achieve. However, I rather think that distinction is even more difficult to achieve here on this board and thus that the matter is not too trivial for inclusion here.

Peter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 04:13 PM
  #13
BobbyAwe
Registered User
 
BobbyAwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 1,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by State Of Hockey 8 View Post
Even at 51 years old, Gordie Howe was able to get 41 points, thats simply amazing for someone over 50 I think.
Then again, i don't think anyone hit him that season. I saw him play against the Isles that year and no one went near him out of respect i guess. He was still mouthing off to every opposing player that came within 5 feet though

BobbyAwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 04:53 PM
  #14
kaiser matias
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter9 View Post
I clicked the link, and apparently the Wikipedia article has been deleted. I read the discussion notes that the Wiki editors made about the status of the article, and apparently the information was considered too trivial for inclusion, which, given what Wikipedia does include, is a distinction difficult to achieve. However, I rather think that distinction is even more difficult to achieve here on this board and thus that the matter is not too trivial for inclusion here.
I remember when this article came up for discussion on Wikipedia. The biggest problem was that most of the players listed were already dead. There were 20 players listed who were 110 years or older in one part of the article, which is obviously not possible. When looked over, it was found that most of the players listed were already dead, some having been dead for decades.

Because of this, and the fact that it would be rather difficult to maintain such a list, it was deleted. However, if someone were willing to put up the effort to keep the list current, and source it with something that showed the listed players as being alive (newspapers, books, reliable websites, etc), then it would probably stay alive, and make an excellent article.

kaiser matias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2009, 08:32 PM
  #15
invictus
Registered User
 
invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanTedGreen View Post
Then again, i don't think anyone hit him that season. I saw him play against the Isles that year and no one went near him out of respect i guess. He was still mouthing off to every opposing player that came within 5 feet though
Can you imagine the **** storm of backlash that would have happened if someone drilled him into the boards or something?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 06:34 PM
  #16
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat
 
Nunymare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,924
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Nunymare
Tony Bukovich has died at age 94.

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2010, 02:23 AM
  #17
Marc08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 663
vCash: 500
Louis Holmes died at aged 99 on March 11, 2010 in Edmonton, Alberta. The oldest former NHL player ever lived.

Al Suomi is the new oldest living former NHL player.

Marc08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 11:08 PM
  #18
judymcatee
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
one of the oldest recently deceased

http://obit.bairdfuneralhome.com/obi...me&listing=All

Norm McAtee (Boston Bruin 1946-47) died August 25, 2010. An amazing hockey player and golfer.

judymcatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 03:19 PM
  #19
RuuhkaTukka
Registered User
 
RuuhkaTukka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: Finland
Posts: 161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc08 View Post
Al Suomi is the new oldest living former NHL player.
Does anyone have any info on Al Suomi. From Wikipedia I understand that he was born in USA but his name Suomi is Finnish and it means Finland in American. It just feels strange to have a name like that. Or are there a lot of John United States of Americas or Igor Union of Soviet Socialist Republics out there?

RuuhkaTukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 03:34 PM
  #20
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafleurfan10 View Post
I asked myself the very same question not too long ago, I have a very accurate list on hand, the players listed have been contacted to make sure that they are still living, and also the SIHR is great for determining if a player is deceased or not their records are awesome. I also recommend that if perhaps any of you wanted to get into contact with former players check out the hockeydb forum, my list is also posted there. www.hockeydb.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5 anyway heres the list.

#1. Lou Holmes 98 this year **OFFICIALLY THE OLDEST FORMER NHLER EVER**
#2. Al Suomi 96 this year (last living member of the 36/37 all american blackhawks team
#3. Don Willson 95 this year
#4. Bill Chadwick 94 this year (referee, invented hand signals) HHOF
#5. Murray Armstrong 94 this year (last living player to have played for both the NYA and the Brooklyn Americans
#6. Pete Langelle 93 this year
#7. Ernie Laforce 93 this year (played on game fore the habs 1942
#8. Oscar Aubuchon 93 this year
#9. Red Carr 92 this year
#10. Tony Bukovich 91 this year
#11. Elmer Lach 91 this year HHOF
#12. Milt Schmidt 91 this year HHOF
#13. Connie Dion 91 this year
#14. John Mahaffy 91 this year
#15. Herb Carnegie 90 this year (not really an NHL player but deserves to be on the list.
#16. Wally Stanowski 90 this year
#17. Edgar Laprade 90 this year HHOF
#18. Ed Barry 90 this year
#19. Emile Bouchard 89 this year HHOF
#20. Jud McAtee 89 this year
#21. Bill Benson 89 this year (last living player to have only played with the Brooklyn Americans)
#22. Bob Fillion 88 this year
#23. Tony Licari 88 this year
#24. Jean-Paul Gladu 88 this year
#25. Norm McAtee 88 this year
#26. Murray Henderson 88 this year
#27. Howard Riopelle 88 this year
#28. Armand Gaudreault 88 this year
#29. Johnny Bower 87 this year (charges $1 per signature)
#30. Jim Conacher 86 this year
#31. Gaye Stewart 86 this year
#32. Chuck Scherza 86 this year
#33. Keith "Bingo" Allen 86 this year HHOF (can also be reached through Philly)
#34. Leo Reise Jr. 86 this year
#35. Tod Campeau 86 this year

hope this helps.
Man that is one morbid creepy list IMO

Just saying, that was my initial reaction to it, almost likes it' s a countdown or something.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the intent though.

Hardyvan123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 04:01 PM
  #21
Briere Up There*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Žďár nad Sázavo
Posts: 2,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuuhkaTukka View Post
Does anyone have any info on Al Suomi. From Wikipedia I understand that he was born in USA but his name Suomi is Finnish and it means Finland in American. It just feels strange to have a name like that. Or are there a lot of John United States of Americas or Igor Union of Soviet Socialist Republics out there?
No Americas or Russias but there are plenty of people with the surname Canada. England as well.

Briere Up There* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 05:40 PM
  #22
Dennis Bonvie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 7,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyAwe View Post
Then again, i don't think anyone hit him that season. I saw him play against the Isles that year and no one went near him out of respect i guess. He was still mouthing off to every opposing player that came within 5 feet though
Having been a Whalers season ticket holder that season, I can confirm that Howe was hit on occasion. Not run, but hit. The hits usually resulted in Mr. Howe's stick inadvertenly making contact with the checker's head or face. Being obviously inadvertent, the referee would not call a penalty on the old man.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 06:01 PM
  #23
pappyline
Registered User
 
pappyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mass/formerly Ont
Country: United States
Posts: 4,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Man that is one morbid creepy list IMO

Just saying, that was my initial reaction to it, almost likes it' s a countdown or something.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the intent though.
nothing morbid or creepy about this list at all. A lot of great players who have been blessed with longevity. Met 91 year old Milt Schmidt recently. Sharp as a tack & enjoying life. we should all be so lucky.

Would be great if somebody could track down these guys & interview them. For sure there would be some incredible stories.


Last edited by pappyline: 09-12-2010 at 08:38 PM.
pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:29 AM
  #24
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRogerRoeper View Post
No Americas or Russias but there are plenty of people with the surname Canada. England as well.
One of the most interesting events involving surnames was about five or six years ago when the Winnipeg Blue Bombers cut veteran Tom Europe and replaced him with Tom Canada.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:36 AM
  #25
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
nothing morbid or creepy about this list at all. A lot of great players who have been blessed with longevity. Met 91 year old Milt Schmidt recently. Sharp as a tack & enjoying life. we should all be so lucky.

Would be great if somebody could track down these guys & interview them. For sure there would be some incredible stories.
Your kidding me right?

I mean I don't think there any bad intentions here but I bet most of the guys looking at the top of the list are wondering how long it is until there is a new number 1 guy or maybe I'm just kinda warped

Hardyvan123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.