HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke to Gomez: If you don't crack the top 6, no team USA

Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2009, 09:56 PM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Because grit is the only quality that makes an effective defensive forward?
It's Brian Burke building the team.

Old
08-19-2009, 09:57 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

If these comments motivate Gomez to have a good year than that is great news for Montreal, thanks Brian.

Old
08-19-2009, 10:02 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
This is team USA, not the Toronto Maple Leafs. You don't bring in 2 grinding lines on an international team, not when you're at the level of the US. Its like if Canada had a couple of lines of Drapers and Pecas. Its ridiculous. The only reason he's doing this is because Gomez plays for the Habs and Burke is just trying to find ways to screw with the Habs a bit. Burke is a decent GM but he's classless. If I was an American, I'd be pretty pissed with Burke if he doesn't bring Gomez. No matter what he thinks, Gomez is one of the best American players at the current time. And if he causes the US to lose face because of his selfish reasons then he would deserve to be crucified by the American media.
Oh this makes loads of sense. Burke wants to force arguably the best forward on a fierce rival into an extended period of rest where he can get much needed energy and has virtually no risk of getting hurt. That pesky Burke, always out to get the Habs. I hate Burke, by the way, so you can't use that argument against me.

Old
08-19-2009, 10:03 PM
shaner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Heck Scott Gomez said Scott Gomez stunk it up last year. The word he used was "embarassing". He knows he needs to shape up regardless of what Burke says. He's said at much.
Exactly. Gomez sucked and until proven otherwise, he doesnt deserve a spot. He was a mediorce player at best last year. You dont get handed a spot on team USA after his abysmal performace.

Old
08-19-2009, 10:04 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
If these comments motivate Gomez to have a good year than that is great news for Montreal, thanks Brian.
I liked Ron Wilson's comment. "I'm gonna be trying to prevent it, we play them six times a year, but I hope he scores tons against other teams."

Old
08-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Gomez needs to pick it up this year.

Old
08-19-2009, 10:05 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89 View Post
Exactly. Gomez sucked and until proven otherwise, he doesnt deserve a spot. He was a mediorce player at best last year. You dont get handed a spot on team USA after his abysmal performace.
Well, "abysmal" in his case is still 58 points. Team USA isn't swimming in skilled centers, so he's got a very good shot.

Old
08-19-2009, 10:07 PM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgerry View Post
I doubt it will affect Gomez, since his competition is only the U.S team roster.

Here are the list of forwards invited to the camp:

Backes, Booth, D. Brown, Byfulien, Parise, Kane, Statsny, Lagenbrunner, Kesler, Kessel, Oshie, Drury, Modano, Pavelski, Gomez, B. Ryan, Callahan, Okposo, Malone.

I'm sure that each team will carry 13 Forwards, 4 lines and 1 player that rotates.

Here's who I think will make the team (I tried to make the lines, best I could. I have 3 scoring lines and 1 scoring/grinder line):

Line 1: Backes Gomez Parise
Line 2: Kane Drury Kessel
Line 3: Ryan Statsny Booth
Line 4: Byfulien Brown Lagenbrunner
Oshie (assuming Modano decides he is too old and does not want to play. Otherwise, Modano is a lock.)

Since I took a look at the entire orientation roster list, I might as well go through the defensemen list.

Here's the list of defensemen invited to the camp:

Rafalski, Orpik, E. Johnson, J. Johnson, Scuderi, Hainsey, Martin, Whitney, Gleason, Komisarek, Gilbert, Suter.

Here's who I think/should make it (notice how I put should, because I think there is one ex-hab who should not make it, based on the list here.) The ideal roster would show 3 lines and 1 rotating Defenseman:

Line 1: Rafalski Whitney
Line 2: Scuderi Orpik
Line 3: Martin Hainsey
Gleason or E. Johnson

Yeah, most think that Komisarek will make the roster, because his boss/GM, is Burke (who is also the GM of Team USA).

Goalies (this isn't too hard).

Miller
Thomas
Quick/Esche (Probably Esche, due to alot of experience).

If I were you guys I'd be really mad about Burke wearing both hats. I'd be willing to bet the house that a spot on Team USA was used as a sweetener when Burke was trying to sell Komi on signing in Toronto. Regardless of how little he deserves it, I guarantee that Komi will be gumming up the works on the USA blueline in February.

Old
08-19-2009, 10:08 PM
odishabs

Even if Komisarek is a -16 in exhibition games and gets dangled by oleg petrov and his ass kicked by Tomas Plekanec, he would be the team Captain, and top pairing defenceman

Old
08-19-2009, 10:08 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
If I were you guys I'd be really mad about Burke wearing both hats. I'd be willing to bet the house that a spot on Team USA was used as a sweetener when Burke was trying to sell Komi on signing in Toronto. Regardless of how little he deserves it, I guarantee that Komi will be gumming up the works on the USA blueline in February.
Well if he's handing spots to players who don't deserve it, that's fine by me since canada will trounce them. I would like to see gomez be their first line center because um.. how long has it been since a hab centered the first line on a major olympic team?

Old
08-19-2009, 10:11 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Well if he's handing spots to players who don't deserve it, that's fine by me since canada will trounce them. I would like to see gomez be their first line center because um.. how long has it been since a hab centered the first line on a major olympic team?
Saku Koivu?

Old
08-19-2009, 10:15 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Saku Koivu?
LOL How soon we forget!

Old
08-19-2009, 10:16 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Saku Koivu?
hahaha, i just remembered that as soon as i was putting my food in the oven. I went over canada, russia, USA and sweden and for some stupid reason i forgot my favorite captain. I'm quite ashamed.

Old
08-19-2009, 10:16 PM
CrazyShea

Quote:
...koivu?

Old
08-19-2009, 10:17 PM
onice

Quote:
Jeeze, let me think it was back in the day.....like 4 years ago.....Koivu.

Old
08-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Kriss E

Brian Burke can very well choose whomever he wants to make his team.
But I think it's stupid to say if ''X'' player doesn't crack up the top 6, than he's out.
Maybe that player could complete a line that turns out to be the third one.

Especially Gomez, who pretty much played his whole career on a defensive team. So there's no reason to think he really couldn't be a good checker.

On an Olympic team, you also want your checkers to be offensively capable.

So, I don't really care what Burke says, I just think it's stupid to say something like that. It's just another reason why I feel like he's a moron.
That being said, I would have felt the same about it regardless of who the person saying it was.

Old
08-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Heck Scott Gomez said Scott Gomez stunk it up last year. The word he used was "embarassing". He knows he needs to shape up regardless of what Burke says. He's said at much.
I certainly hope he does come in strong, but I just wanted to say that words mean very little.
Plekanec recognized his play as one similar to a little girl's but he never bounced back. He also had a terrible following season.

Hopefully it won't be the same with Gomez.

Old
08-19-2009, 10:59 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric71 View Post
Gomez is a bum. I wouldnt want him on my internation team. Or NHL team for that matter.
Yeah... Grabovski sure has achieved more than him, and I'd like to get him, whatever the price would be.

In fact, do you think you guys could deal us Blake for Cammalleri, Toskala for Price, and Kaberle for Markov, since you obviously got the best players at key positions?

Old
08-19-2009, 11:08 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord Millers Chin View Post

Brian Burke's teams are built like this...

Top 6 forwards - SKILL
Bottom 6 forwards - GRIT
At least Burke understands his own personal limitations. Keeping it simple.

Old
08-19-2009, 11:09 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Not only he centered a first line on a major Olympic team, he was THE best Centre of the whole tournament.

Old
08-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdel Kostitsyn View Post
He's the best center out there anyway...
Isn't Stastny a center? Either way, if Gomez doesn't crack the top 6 Burke has some biases in the way.

Old
08-19-2009, 11:12 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Isn't Stastny a center? Either way, if Gomez doesn't crack the top 6 Burke has some biases in the way.
Pretty much... But considering how much he's hard on "GRIT BRIT GRIT SANDPAPER GRIT HITS FIGHTS HITS GRIT GRIT PLUGGERS!!111", I expect Drury to be taken before him. Burke didn't gain that reputation for nothing.

Old
08-19-2009, 11:12 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

There is no doubt in my mind that Gomez has two strikes against him before even starting, just because he plays for the Habs. Burke's ego has always gotten in the way and his vendetta is more important than anything else.

Old
08-19-2009, 11:16 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that Gomez has two strikes against him before even starting, just because he plays for the Habs. Burke's ego has always gotten in the way and his vendetta is more important than anything else.
That's right, the world revolves around the Habs and everyone assumes he's against it. His homeboys Jason *Wonder* blake and Stempniak didn't even get an invite. Gomez sucked last season, that's a fact, it's time to redeem himself or play himself of the roster.

Old
08-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
To be honest, I hope he doesn't make the team and rests up. A healthy (80+ games) Gomez is a good Gomez.
This...

and plus, if burke/wilson cut Gomez from team USA, you'd have to think that it would burn Gomez to the core... giving him added motivation not just to play well and prove he deserved to be there without question, but to REALLY give it to the leafs each and every time we play them for the next five years.

heck, the more i think about it, the more I HOPE Burke is dumb enough to cut Gomez from that squad.
(im not the biggest gomez fan, and hated the trade to bring him here, but even at that i think it's pretty obvious that he's one of the top US born players out there)

Closed Thread