HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Burke to Gomez: If you don't crack the top 6, no team USA

Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

vCash: 500
guys don't forget, Pominville can make the US team.

Kane-Gomez-Kessel
Pomminville-Stastny-Ryan
Kesler-Drury-Langenbrunner

that's sort of how I see their top 9 working out.

Old
08-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post

Kane-Gomez-Kessel
Pomminville-Stastny-Ryan

Wheres Parise?

Old
08-19-2009, 11:25 PM
The Nightman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post

Kane-Gomez-Kessel
Pomminville-Stastny-Ryan

I see the line up somewhat like that too but with Parise, and with Brian Burke as GM I really have a hard time thinking Gomez will be on the team

Old
08-19-2009, 11:26 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealistic View Post
Wheres Parise?
lol totally forgot him. Yes, obviously he's on their top 2 lines.

Old
08-19-2009, 11:26 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABbiest View Post
I see the line up somewhat like that too but with Brian Burke as GM I really have a hard time thinking Gomez will be on the team
I can't see Burke leaving off the most reliable American center.

Old
08-19-2009, 11:38 PM
Habs

In before a Burke / komisarek conspiracy response.

Old
08-19-2009, 11:40 PM
number 11

makes sense. he's not a checking line centre.

he should make the top 2 tho

Old
08-19-2009, 11:42 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
no. you're not. Go back a page.

Old
08-19-2009, 11:46 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
That's right, the world revolves around the Habs and everyone assumes he's against it. His homeboys Jason *Wonder* blake and Stempniak didn't even get an invite. Gomez sucked last season, that's a fact, it's time to redeem himself or play himself of the roster.
I freaking hope not!..I think he'd get fired if he did.

Gomez sucked last season, but he was always good with Team USA.
Wasn't he the 1st line center as well??..Skill wise he could still very much be the 1st center again.
So why exactly is he challenging him like that in the Media??..

Komisarek look as bad as he could possibly be last year, in every single aspect of the game. He was worse than Gomez was for NYR, so why didn't he say a thing about him?..

Burke has always been like that, it's not new and certainly not something Habs fans have invented since he joined the Leafs.

Old
08-19-2009, 11:46 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Even as a Gomez "hater", that'd be a joke if he isn't on the team. Here is what I'd think USA would look like next year:

Parise-Stastny-Kane
Kessel-Gomez-Ryan
Backes-Kesler-Oshie
Okposo-Drury-Byfuglien
XLangenbrunner

I don't know who has been invited to USA's camp, but this is what I'd do from a team off the top of my head.

Old
08-19-2009, 11:52 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I freaking hope not!..I think he'd get fired if he did.

Gomez sucked last season, but he was always good with Team USA.
Wasn't he the 1st line center as well??..Skill wise he could still very much be the 1st center again.
So why exactly is he challenging him like that in the Media??..

Komisarek look as bad as he could possibly be last year, in every single aspect of the game. He was worse than Gomez was for NYR, so why didn't he say a thing about him?..

Burke has always been like that, it's not new and certainly not something Habs fans have invented since he joined the Leafs.
Blake outscored Gomez. I'm not saying Blake is better than Gomez, but I am saying that I can guarantee the whole Gomez on the Habs thing has nothing to do with this.

Old
08-19-2009, 11:52 PM
MaynardJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Even as a Gomez "hater", that'd be a joke if he isn't on the team. Here is what I'd think USA would look like next year:

Parise-Stastny-Kane
Kessel-Gomez-Ryan
Backes-Kesler-Oshie
Okposo-Drury-Byfuglien
XLangenbrunner

I don't know who has been invited to USA's camp, but this is what I'd do from a team off the top of my head.
That team can compete with anyone, nicely done.

Old
08-19-2009, 11:53 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

Quote:

Parise-Stastny-Kane
Kessel-Gomez-Ryan
Backes-Kesler-Oshie
Okposo-Drury-Byfuglien
XLangenbrunner

To further complicate things... Modano is a lock if he decides to play.

Old
08-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Quiet Robert

Quote:

Parise-Stastny-Kane
Kessel-Gomez-Ryan
Backes-Kesler-Oshie
Okposo-Drury-Byfuglien
XLangenbrunner

If Gomez were a winger I could see where Burke is coming from, but USA has so very little depth at center that barring a disastrous season it's hard not to pencil him in on the top 2 lines.

Every national team has to evaluate the talent available and try to put together the best team. USA is young and has size and speed on the wings, but overall I don't think they have the offensive talent of Canada, Russia or Sweden. To win they will need to play tight defensively and Burke is well aware of this and probably even enjoys having to build his team this way.

So while it's convenient to say "Burke hates skill!!! Burke loves grinders!!! Burke has an ego etc..." the truth is he's looking to put together a roster than can compete with Canada and Russia. He's not going to win a run-and-gun game with those teams so he needs to have reliable defensive players throughout the roster. But USA has the talent to put together two insane offensive lines and a solid group of bottom 6 players. Burke may also want to have a very young team and groom the next generation of USA talent.

So with that in mind, I would think that Kesler has the 3rd line spot all but locked and I wouldn't be surprised if Burke took Brandon Dubinsky on that 4th line because of how Burke/Wilson will want this USA team to play. If he doesn't progress enough this year I think Chris Drury gets that spot for leadership and two-way play. Finally if he's healthy I think Stastny is a lock for no.1 center. Young, talented, insane playmaker who is just criminally underrated around the league. Kane-Stastny-Parise would be a ton of fun to watch.

Either way, you've only got Gomez, Drury, and Pavelski fighting for that final spot. Maybe throw in Connolly there as a no.2 center but he's in the same boat as Gomez, and between the two I think you have to go with Gomez.

The one scenario where I see Gomez not making the team is if he continues to play poorly and Pavelski really shines. USA has the wingers to really put together a team that Brian Burke will like but at center his hands are really tied.

Anyways, long story short, I think everyone would agree that it is possible Gomez doesn't make the team, but right now I think we have to consider that his chances are pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrew
To further complicate things... Modano is a lock if he decides to play.
I keep reading this but has Burke or anyone with USA Hockey come out and said this? Of the "old guard" you have to think that guys like Guerin or Tkachuk would be better options for USA. They bring the size and mean streak Burke loves, they're both experienced and they both seem revitalized.

If we are taking Burke at his word that it's a top 6, bottom 6 team, where does Modano fit in? Statsny to me is no.1, Kesler is no.3 and Drury is no.4. Is Modano really the best option at no.2?

Old
08-20-2009, 12:24 AM
habfaninvictoria

I don't subscribe to the conspiracy theory with regard to Gomez and his spot on the US team. Burke wants to put the best possible team together and Gomez as a 3rd or 4th line centre wouldn't make much sense. It also wouldn't make much sense for him to motivate the #1 centre of his NHL teams arch rival. The fact that he's on the habs is irrelevant.

I do however think he waived the olympic cookie under Komi's nose. Burke has little class. He's a bully. He's a walking ad for anger management. The NHL team he's assembled will lead the league in only one category... suspensions. He has a limited talent pool to draw from for his olympic team. He will have to rely on defense much more than any team that could contend for a medal.

Gomez wouldn't even merit an invite to the camps of Canada, Russia, Finland, Sweden. He's a quality center but, realistically, he's not in the calibre of the centermen available to most countries.

Old
08-20-2009, 12:34 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrew View Post
Blake outscored Gomez. I'm not saying Blake is better than Gomez, but I am saying that I can guarantee the whole Gomez on the Habs thing has nothing to do with this.
If building a team was as simple as getting the top 13-14 scoring forwards, then I'd say you might have a point.

You could say Blake had more points than Kesler and Drury as well, not to name others.

But as you know, Blake is a left wing while Gomez is a center, so your point is moot.

I'm not saying it is linked to him being a Habs, but let's just say it wouldn't surprise me if it were. We'll never know anyway.

Old
08-20-2009, 04:44 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post

You should read the threads you post in.

Old
08-20-2009, 05:23 AM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgerry View Post
I doubt it will affect Gomez, since his competition is only the U.S team roster.

Here are the list of forwards invited to the camp:

Backes, Booth, D. Brown, Byfulien, Parise, Kane, Statsny, Lagenbrunner, Kesler, Kessel, Oshie, Drury, Modano, Pavelski, Gomez, B. Ryan, Callahan, Okposo, Malone.

I'm sure that each team will carry 13 Forwards, 4 lines and 1 player that rotates.

Here's who I think will make the team (I tried to make the lines, best I could. I have 3 scoring lines and 1 scoring/grinder line):

Line 1: Backes Gomez Parise
Line 2: Kane Drury Kessel
Line 3: Ryan Statsny Booth
Line 4: Byfulien Brown Lagenbrunner
Oshie (assuming Modano decides he is too old and does not want to play. Otherwise, Modano is a lock.)

Since I took a look at the entire orientation roster list, I might as well go through the defensemen list.

Here's the list of defensemen invited to the camp:

Rafalski, Orpik, E. Johnson, J. Johnson, Scuderi, Hainsey, Martin, Whitney, Gleason, Komisarek, Gilbert, Suter.

Here's who I think/should make it (notice how I put should, because I think there is one ex-hab who should not make it, based on the list here.) The ideal roster would show 3 lines and 1 rotating Defenseman:

Line 1: Rafalski Whitney
Line 2: Scuderi Orpik
Line 3: Martin Hainsey
Gleason or E. Johnson

Yeah, most think that Komisarek will make the roster, because his boss/GM, is Burke (who is also the GM of Team USA).

Goalies (this isn't too hard).

Miller
Thomas
Quick/Esche (Probably Esche, due to alot of experience).
No Patrick O'Sullivan?

Old
08-20-2009, 06:04 AM
Newhabfan

Let's calm down a bit...

1 Gomez has a great start of the season and Burke ignores him --- Everyone will laugh at Burke and Gomez will stay healthy.

2 Gomez has a great start and Burke takes him ---- We'll love it to see Burke forced to do something he does not want....

3 Gomez has a poor start of the season....Why the h... would we care about him at the Olympics ?????

Old
08-20-2009, 07:15 AM
Pedro McGuire*

lol, Burke is Hillarious, What a ******... The guy must be so ****ing abrasive to be arround.

Old
08-20-2009, 07:36 AM
RC51

If Gomez is picked By Burke as a spare part I would worry that Burke would put Gomez in a canon fodder at times only to get him injured so the Habs would be out a center after the games. This is the way Burke thinks.

Old
08-20-2009, 07:53 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Who cares, it's Burke's team, he can do what he wants with it. It's egg on his face and his alone if they don't do well.

Old
08-20-2009, 08:26 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
That's right, the world revolves around the Habs and everyone assumes he's against it. His homeboys Jason *Wonder* blake and Stempniak didn't even get an invite. Gomez sucked last season, that's a fact, it's time to redeem himself or play himself of the roster.
I know Burke from having met him a few times and if someone thinks for one second that his ego wouldn't get in the way, they have something else coming. In Burke's mind, the world revolves around him, just ask those who have dealt with him such as Kevin Lowe (as an example).

Old
08-20-2009, 08:37 AM
neofury*

I hope because of these comments Gomez gets like 15 points in 6 games versus the leafs and we sweep them 6-0 with no OTW/SOW to boot.

I hate Burke and that would really make my year if the leafs then finished in 9th one point out of tieing 8th and having more goals already then the 8th place team. It would THRILL me.

Old
08-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Gros Bill

I wish that freak-show carnival barker would just shut up.

Closed Thread