HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke to Gomez: If you don't crack the top 6, no team USA

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2009, 08:41 AM
FanHabtic

vCash: 500
Gomez is a lock for the US squad. The US squad is devoid of elite talent with the exception of Zach Parise. US will be lucky get 4th place at the olympics.

Old
08-20-2009, 08:55 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
That's right, the world revolves around the Habs and everyone assumes he's against it. His homeboys Jason *Wonder* blake and Stempniak didn't even get an invite. Gomez sucked last season, that's a fact, it's time to redeem himself or play himself of the roster.
With Burke's ego, I wouldn't put anything past him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I freaking hope not!..I think he'd get fired if he did.

Gomez sucked last season, but he was always good with Team USA.
Wasn't he the 1st line center as well??..Skill wise he could still very much be the 1st center again.
So why exactly is he challenging him like that in the Media??..

Komisarek look as bad as he could possibly be last year, in every single aspect of the game. He was worse than Gomez was for NYR, so why didn't he say a thing about him?..

Burke has always been like that, it's not new and certainly not something Habs fans have invented since he joined the Leafs.
There's no sense arguing with him. Over 7,500 posts and a join date of August 2008 equals some major trolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
I wish that freak-show carnival barker would just shut up.
Burke can't keep his mouth shut. He just can't. That's why the whole Kessel-Kaberle trade miscommunication was such a debacle. If Burke didn't have to announce the trade offer to media as soon as it came to him, this fiasco wouldn't have happened....Burke ran to the media so fast with the trade offer that he didn't even give himself enough time to read it correctly and thus miscommunicated what was in the offer. In the future, I'm sure Peter Chiarelli will remember this particular dealing with Burke.

Old
08-20-2009, 08:55 AM
macavoy

I find it funny how people love to bash Burke. I'm a hard core habs fan and I love the fact that he is in Toronto, it is entertaining. I don't really care if Gomez makes the team. On one hand, a rest would be good, but for players of this calibre, the Olympics elevates your game and motivation so it would be good for him.

Secondly Brian Burke is taking the correct philosophy, they are never going to compete offensively with Canada / Russia (and have a hard time with other Euro finesse styles) so his best bet is to take his approach and bang the piss out of the opposition and punish them.

Old
08-20-2009, 10:19 AM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
I freaking hope not!..I think he'd get fired if he did.

Gomez sucked last season, but he was always good with Team USA.
Wasn't he the 1st line center as well??..Skill wise he could still very much be the 1st center again.
So why exactly is he challenging him like that in the Media??..

Komisarek look as bad as he could possibly be last year, in every single aspect of the game. He was worse than Gomez was for NYR, so why didn't he say a thing about him?..

Burke has always been like that, it's not new and certainly not something Habs fans have invented since he joined the Leafs.
That's his style. It has nothing to do with being a HAB. Komisarek admitted he blew last season, what else is there to say. Burke's not going to just give a hug and blanket and go easy on everybody. Gomez put himself in the position of fighting for those spots with his abysmal performance last season. He wants competition for those spots, it makes everyone play harder and play better. You don't play well, Burke tells you to go home. Nothing different from being a healthy scratch.

Old
08-20-2009, 10:27 AM
BLONG7

Burkie is all entertainment, and he knows it, and loves it, he couldn't be in a better market for that....at the end of the day though, it seems like this guy is going to be his own worst enemy, and I think it's terrific that he is running the show in TO...

Old
08-20-2009, 10:28 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
no. you're not. Go back a page.
Damnit.

Old
08-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
That's his style. It has nothing to do with being a HAB. Komisarek admitted he blew last season, what else is there to say. Burke's not going to just give a hug and blanket and go easy on everybody. Gomez put himself in the position of fighting for those spots with his abysmal performance last season. He wants competition for those spots, it makes everyone play harder and play better. You don't play well, Burke tells you to go home. Nothing different from being a healthy scratch.
Actually, you don't play well, Burkie tells the media he told you to go home.

Old
08-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Joe Cole

My evaluation of Burke's comments is that he is using Olympic leverage to better his NHL chances and that it is ethically questionable, but ... this is not tea and biscuits, the NHL is big boys game. Make sure you are wearing your cup.

He seves the guy who signs his paycheck. No one else.

Old
08-20-2009, 10:46 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Actually, you don't play well, Burkie tells the media he told you to go home.
True...name 1 GM who talks to the media as much as Burkie??? Must drive the players nuts...

Old
08-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Sounds like a ploy by Burke to get Gomer motivated or why go public?

Old
08-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Gomez recognized his poor season as well.

Ryan Malone didn't have that good of a season either, why not make a comment about his play?..Drury too.

Why not make comments about them?..why single out Gomez?..

You shouldn't have to come out publicly to ''motivate'' players when you're talking about representing your Country at the Olympic Games. Getting invited should be more than enough of a motivation for any player. Especially when talking about the guy that was their #1 center in previous tournaments.

If he wants to whip his players a bit, then he can do it generally instead of aiming one player seeing as many have had disappointing seasons.

Old
08-20-2009, 11:11 AM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Gomez recognized his poor season as well.

Ryan Malone didn't have that good of a season either, why not make a comment about his play?..Drury too.

Why not make comments about them?..why single out Gomez?..

You shouldn't have to come out publicly to ''motivate'' players when you're talking about representing your Country at the Olympic Games. Getting invited should be more than enough of a motivation for any player. Especially when talking about the guy that was their #1 center in previous tournaments.

If he wants to whip his players a bit, then he can do it generally instead of aiming one player seeing as many have had disappointing seasons.
Malone and Drury had average seasons. That's what they're career averages point out to.

Old
08-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
It could also be to put added pressure on your biggest rivals' newly acquired top center.

It could also be a lame attempt to downplay Montreal's acquisition this summer making it sound like he's not even guaranteed a spot on the US team.

Or it could very well be Burke liking to have people talk about him, which is definitely part of it.

Old
08-20-2009, 11:18 AM
Jigger77

I have absolutely no problem with the GM of the Leafs trying to light a fire under the Habs first line center.

Old
08-20-2009, 11:18 AM

If any of you haven't figured out yet that Brian Burke is a HUGE ego maniac, take a look at his reaction at the draft when the Kings picked Schenn...

His scowl while the camera focused on him was so rehearsed...please.

This Gomez comment is just more of the same...he knows full well what he's doing.

Anything to hear his own voice

Old
08-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Malone and Drury had average seasons. That's what they're career averages point out to.
They had horrible seasons if you look at their salary.

Malone was brought into TB thinking he'd improve and become more productive than he was in Pittsburgh.
You don't pay a 40-50pts player 6M.

Drury will earn more than Gaborik next year in terms of salary. I don't care if he was within his average of point production, it's still horrible.

Gomez had an average season as well if you say both these players had average ones too.

Old
08-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Newhabfan

Imagine the following scenario...

For some weird reason Gainey gets hired as GM of the Bielorussian team. Then he tells the media that Grabovski would have to prove himself to deserve a place in the Olympic team. While he hopes that Sergei K. will bring invaluable leadership to the locker room.

Priceless....

Old
08-20-2009, 11:37 AM
x-bob

Quote:

Malone was brought into TB thinking he'd improve and become more productive than he was in Pittsburgh.

Drury will earn more than Gaborik next year in terms of salary. I don't care if he was within his average of point production, it's still horrible.

Gomez had an average season as well if you say both these players had average ones too.
Just because you are being paid that much doesn't mean you are worth that much. Come on, I know people like to talk about salary because we are in a salary cap era but when selecting for Olympic teams, their is no salary cap. All that matters is their performance.

Old
08-20-2009, 11:44 AM
dkhakh

Quote:

ohh boy..arguing with the wrong facts..his cap hit is 4.5M..might want take a look before posting..

Old
08-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
You just answered your question.

Old
08-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhakh View Post
ohh boy..arguing with the wrong facts..his cap hit is 4.5M..might want take a look before posting..
Your comment would make sense if the post you quoted would not specify "in terms of salary". You know, as in "not in terms of caphit".

His salary (as in "what he will get paid") next year is indeed 6 million.

Old
08-20-2009, 11:55 AM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Gomez is a lock for the US squad. The US squad is devoid of elite talent with the exception of Zach Parise. US will be lucky get 4th place at the olympics.
Sorry but Bobby Ryan, Patrick Kane, and Paul Stastny are most definitely elite talents.

Old
08-20-2009, 11:55 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
He was talking salary, not cap hit

Old
08-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
Sorry but Bobby Ryan, Patrick Kane, and Paul Stastny are most definitely elite talents.
Bobby Ryan and Kane are wingers right ? so they are not in direct competition with Gomez.

Old
08-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post
Just because you are being paid that much doesn't mean you are worth that much. Come on, I know people like to talk about salary because we are in a salary cap era but when selecting for Olympic teams, their is no salary cap. All that matters is their performance.
I was answering to a post saying how Drury and Malone had averaged seasons. Salaries have nothing directly to do with choosing players for your Olympic team, but that's not what I was saying either.

What I was saying is that these players were disappointing if we look at what was expected of them. Something that's directly linked to salary.

Gomez did have a disappointing season as well, but if his worse season gets you more points than Drury..then why only point the finger at him and say he's out if not in top6?..Is it because Drury is a better option for bottom lines??..Maybe if the depth at center was big, but it isn't at all. Burke will need all the help he can get from offensive capable centers.

Nonetheless, my point was to say many players in the USA camp had disappointing seasons last year, to call out one of them (coincidentally the newly acquired top center of your arch rival) is odd.

Quote:
Salary and Cap hit are two different things as many have already pointed out to you.
I clearly stated Salary, not cap hit.

Make sure you read the post correctly if you want to diss someone, otherwise it kinda makes you look foolish...

Closed Thread