HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Burke to Gomez: If you don't crack the top 6, no team USA

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Pepper

vCash: 500
So people are seriously blaming Burke's ego for not wanting Gomez playing for team USA? Is that right?

Wouldn't it make more sense for Burke to get the best possible team and have as much success as possible if it was his ego talking?

You people are reading wayyy to much in to this, it's like Burke's out there to hurt the Habs by screwing his national team. Get real.

Old
08-20-2009, 12:48 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Gomez recognized his poor season as well.

Ryan Malone didn't have that good of a season either, why not make a comment about his play?..Drury too.

Why not make comments about them?..why single out Gomez?..

You shouldn't have to come out publicly to ''motivate'' players when you're talking about representing your Country at the Olympic Games. Getting invited should be more than enough of a motivation for any player. Especially when talking about the guy that was their #1 center in previous tournaments.

If he wants to whip his players a bit, then he can do it generally instead of aiming one player seeing as many have had disappointing seasons.
That's a very good point! Gomez is being unfairly targeted by Wilson and Burke even though there are guys out there that played equally as bad or even worse than Gomez. Drury is the perfect example.

Old
08-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
So people are seriously blaming Burke's ego for not wanting Gomez playing for team USA? Is that right?

Wouldn't it make more sense for Burke to get the best possible team and have as much success as possible if it was his ego talking?

You people are reading wayyy to much in to this, it's like Burke's out there to hurt the Habs by screwing his national team. Get real.
If that were the case then Gomez would be a shoe in.
Find me 4 better american centers than him.
Not only is Gomez possibly the best center out there for team USA, but he also has some experience and always had good tournaments.

Also, if he was thinking about the whole team, then he'd have to point the finger at other players too especially his very own Komisarek.

Old
08-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Coach Brisebois*

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Secondly Brian Burke is taking the correct philosophy, they are never going to compete offensively with Canada / Russia (and have a hard time with other Euro finesse styles) so his best bet is to take his approach and bang the piss out of the opposition and punish them.
Wrong. That's not American hockey... if they try to play like that they're just going to lose. They'll only have a chance if they go with speed (which will let them play their style of north-south defensively reliable hockey)

Old
08-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Pepper

Quote:
If that were the case then Gomez would be a shoe in.
Find me 4 better american centers than him.
Not only is Gomez possibly the best center out there for team USA, but he also has some experience and always had good tournaments.

Also, if he was thinking about the whole team, then he'd have to point the finger at other players too especially his very own Komisarek.
Then blame Burke's lack of evaluation skills instead of his big ego. Burke wants a certain type of team and isn't afraid to make unpopular moves to get it. Time will tell whether he got it right or not.

And how do you know what he has told Komisarek about his chances of making team USA? Just because TSN didn't report anything doesn't mean Burke hasn't told Komi to up his game.

Old
08-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Then blame Burke's lack of evaluation skills instead of his big ego. Burke wants a certain type of team and isn't afraid to make unpopular moves to get it. Time will tell whether he got it right or not.

And how do you know what he has told Komisarek about his chances of making team USA? Just because TSN didn't report anything doesn't mean Burke hasn't told Komi to up his game.
That's the point.
Why single out one guy to the media?..
Why would he have talked to Komisarek in private, or Drury, or any other player. But to Gomez, he does it through the Media.

Had Burke not been known for his huge ego, there wouldn't be any story behind this. But he is know for it.

Old
08-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Pepper

Quote:
That's the point.
Why single out one guy to the media?..
Why would he have talked to Komisarek in private, or Drury, or any other player. But to Gomez, he does it through the Media.

Had Burke not been known for his huge ego, there wouldn't be any story behind this. But he is know for it.
Umm has anyone asked Burke about Komisarek's chances of making the national team?

Old
08-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Vitto79

Now Gomez drove me nuts in NY but he is one of the better two way players and even if he's not top 2 at C he would still be helpful as a speedy bottom 6 C..........meh whatever, play some hockey Gomer

Old
08-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

I'd take Burke at his word here. Gomez will make the U.S. Olympic Team as a top six forward if he gets off to a good start to the NHL season (I'm thinking close to a PPG). The U.S. is a bit thin at center, and could use a veteran playmaker like Gomez who has done well internationally in the past. No conspiricy theories. Here's who I see as the top six forwards:

Parise
Kessel
Kane
Gomez
Ryan
Stastny

Old
08-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
You're seriously wrong there.

Anyone who claims that he didn't do much simply hasn't been paying any attention or simple hates Burke for being Burke.
Anyone who disagrees with me doesn't know hockey, right?

Old
08-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Anyone who disagrees with me doesn't know hockey, right?
No, anyone who claims that replacing the entire defense, coaching and 75% of the forward group is not doing much doesn't know anything about hockey.

Old
08-20-2009, 01:58 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
And that stanley cup was handed on a platter to him. He seriously did not do much.
Ya, S. Neidemeyer, Pronger and Selanne had very little impact on that team, who were all acquired by Burke.

I mean, when he took over in 2004 there was a whole FIVE players still on the team in 2007. Yup, everything was handed to him

Sorry, I just hear that alot and it gets kind of annoying. People need to do research.

Old
08-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
No, anyone who claims that replacing the entire defense, coaching and 75% of the forward group is not doing much doesn't know anything about hockey.
Listen. You believe what you want, let others believe what THEY want. I don't know if you've ever met Burke, if you've ever spoken to him, or if you've followed his career, but I can tell you that he's a man with an ego bigger than any player that I've ever met. I guy who, like Don Cherry, just loves to listen to his own voice, a guy who loves to be in the spotlight making people believe that he knows what he's saying, what he's doing.

The fact remains that although not a bad GM, he's far, far from being as good as he thinks he is, far from as good as his "fans" think he is. The guy is a fake for the most part and I mean that with as much respect as possible.

Everything he does has a purpose and most of what he says has to do with himself.

Old
08-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Ya, S. Neidemeyer, Pronger and Selanne had very little impact on that team, who were all acquired by Burke.
Scott Neidermayer has stated publicly that he signed in Anaheim for a chance to play with his brother. Pronger wanted out of Edmonton, Burke paid a very high price for him. Selanne never had as much success elsewhere as he did in Anaheim so he came back crawling to the Ducks. Those are the facts.

Old
08-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Yeah...he fired Mike Babcock. What a genius!

Old
08-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Umm has anyone asked Burke about Komisarek's chances of making the national team?
Actually they did ask him about Komisarek, here's what he said:

'' "We're expecting two things from him," said Burke on Tuesday, speaking of Komisarek's role with the U.S. team. "One, he's a big-bodied, hard-nosed guy, blocks a lot of shots, and hits. But we also expect some leadership skills. Again, it's a young group and we expect him to be one of our leaders. ''

As you see, nothing bad to say about Komisarek after him playing his worst season. You can't blame him for that, he just signed him so it makes perfect sense.
Just like it's not a surprise to see him put pressure and point the finger at the player who's playing on his arch rival's team.

You don't have to be a genius to figure that one out, I mean come on. Add the fact that he didn't point anybody else out makes it even more obvious.

Old
08-20-2009, 02:19 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Scott Neidermayer has stated publicly that he signed in Anaheim for a chance to play with his brother. Pronger wanted out of Edmonton, Burke paid a very high price for him. Selanne never had as much success elsewhere as he did in Anaheim so he came back crawling to the Ducks. Those are the facts.
You also need 12 forwards and 6 defencemen to make a team.

His number 1 defencemen (number 2 could be argued) was definitely acquired. He wanted out but Burke made sure he got him.

Old
08-20-2009, 02:27 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
He replaced the entire defense, coaching and 75% of the forwards??
You mean, during his whole stint there or before winning the cup?..

Burke didn't do that many changes from the time he started to the day they won the cup.
A few key changes were done with him having to do very little work.
Scott Nieds wanted to play with his bro. Selanne wanted to come back to Ana.
Two very key signings that pretty much came to him.

If Sydney Crosby comes out to say he wants to play in Mtl at the end of his contract, you don't have to be a genius to sign him.

A lot of the youngsters such as Getzlaf were drafted before he came in.

I'm not saying he didn't do anything, I'm saying he didn't make that many changes for them when they won.

Old
08-20-2009, 02:30 PM
mrgerry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
If I were you guys I'd be really mad about Burke wearing both hats. I'd be willing to bet the house that a spot on Team USA was used as a sweetener when Burke was trying to sell Komi on signing in Toronto. Regardless of how little he deserves it, I guarantee that Komi will be gumming up the works on the USA blueline in February.
If Komisarek finds himself on the U.S roster, then all the better. Honestly, I and many Canadians would rather see Komisarek on the ice than a talented defenseman. Komisarek will not be able to keep with the fast paste skill of the Olympics.

I'm a Canadian, so obviously I hope my country brings home the Gold in our backyard. If the U.S team wants to weaken it's roster, then I'm all for it.

However, one virtue that Burke has, is honesty. If he thinks Komisarek is not worthy, he will not pick him.

Old
08-20-2009, 02:34 PM
mrgerry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
No Patrick O'Sullivan?
You think O'Sullivan is worthy of making the team? Really?

There are many others, who I don't think will make it, that I'd chose before him, such as Pavelski and Pominville.

Old
08-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
He replaced the entire defense, coaching and 75% of the forwards??
You mean, during his whole stint there or before winning the cup?..

Burke didn't do that many changes from the time he started to the day they won the cup.
A few key changes were done with him having to do very little work.
Scott Nieds wanted to play with his bro. Selanne wanted to come back to Ana.
Two very key signings that pretty much came to him.

If Sydney Crosby comes out to say he wants to play in Mtl at the end of his contract, you don't have to be a genius to sign him.

A lot of the youngsters such as Getzlaf were drafted before he came in.

I'm not saying he didn't do anything, I'm saying he didn't make that many changes for them when they won.
Pretty much...

Now let's talk about Burke's vancouver days of glory LOL

Old
08-20-2009, 03:08 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
He didn't make that many changes to the Ducks....Bryan Murray gets as much credit for that Cup in Anaheim as Burkie does...come on get real...

Old
08-20-2009, 03:09 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Pretty much...

Now let's talk about Burke's vancouver days of glory LOL
And Hartford...

Old
08-20-2009, 03:25 PM
BillyShears

1. Who cares about USA hockey or their team?

2. Who cares about Brian Burke or to a lesser extent the Toronto Maple Leafs?

3. Who cares about Scott Gom......wait...

Seriously though, I could not care less.

Old
08-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage

"Irrelevant really. Listening to him speak is like the equivalent of trying to take a drink from a fire hose." - Craig MacTavish

Closed Thread