HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins' #13 prospect

View Poll Results: Who is the Penguins' #13 prospect?
Andy Bathgate 1 1.30%
Robert Bortuzzo 11 14.29%
John Curry 12 15.58%
Nick D'Agostino 0 0%
Viktor Ekbom 0 0%
Joey Haddad 1 1.30%
Patrick Killeen 0 0%
Nathan Moon 18 23.38%
Alexander Pechurski 3 3.90%
Nick Petersen 0 0%
Philip Samuelsson 11 14.29%
Carl Sneep 13 16.88%
Brad Thiessen 1 1.30%
Alex Velischek 6 7.79%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-20-2009, 01:47 PM
  #1
Burgs
Registered User
 
Burgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,896
vCash: 500
Penguins' #13 prospect

Vitale grabs the 12th spot and from now on it looks like a free for all. Added no one.

#1 Eric Tangradi
#2 Simon Despres
#3 Luca Caputi
#4 Keven Veilleux
#5 Nick Johnson
#6 Dustin Jeffrey
#7 Ben Lovejoy
#8 Brian Strait
#9 Alex Grant
#10 Ben Hanowski
#11 Casey Pierro-Zabotel
#12 Joe Vitale


Signed prospects under 25 still unlisted: Letestu, Bissonnette, D'Aversa, Peluso.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 02:24 PM
  #2
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,891
vCash: 500
I like Pechurski

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 02:25 PM
  #3
CPZ
 
CPZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 135
vCash: 500
MOON!!! Bring on BIZNASTY

CPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 02:30 PM
  #4
kovy1335
Registered User
 
kovy1335's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cranberry Twp.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,854
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kovy1335
Voted Samuelsson

kovy1335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 02:53 PM
  #5
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 14,011
vCash: 500
went with Velischek, seems to be nothing negative about him only positives. Looks to have some good upside.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 06:12 PM
  #6
WVP
Registered User
 
WVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 13,171
vCash: 500
Went with Bortuzzo.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 06:42 PM
  #7
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Went with Bortuzzo.
ditto

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 07:23 PM
  #8
IHWR
The Chiropractor
 
IHWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,396
vCash: 500

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 07:36 PM
  #9
moonknight31
Registered User
 
moonknight31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 10,292
vCash: 500
nathan moon

moonknight31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 07:45 PM
  #10
Cliff O Malley
Registered User
 
Cliff O Malley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: I DUNNO?
Country: United States
Posts: 3,726
vCash: 500
Sneepy

Cliff O Malley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 08:15 PM
  #11
AK
Registered User
 
AK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 15,538
vCash: 500
Samuelsson.

Moon doesn't even belong in the discussion, IMO. He's a low-upside, low--probability prospect.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 08:48 PM
  #12
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 44,257
vCash: 500
I'll go Velischek, based on the cut of his jib...which I like.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 09:22 PM
  #13
LECROSKIN
Registered User
 
LECROSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PLAYA'S CLUB
Country: United States
Posts: 305
vCash: 500
why no love for Haddad yo???
This sounds good to me!:
After being traded to the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles last year, Haddad discovered his scoring touch. The Nova Scotia native compares his style of play to Ryan Malone and Colby Armstrong; an agitator and power forward who had gained cult like status during their stays with the Penguins.


Last edited by LECROSKIN: 08-20-2009 at 09:35 PM.
LECROSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 09:30 PM
  #14
AK
Registered User
 
AK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 15,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
went with Velischek, seems to be nothing negative about him only positives. Looks to have some good upside.
How do you have him above Samuelsson?

Velischek was picked well after him for a reason.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 09:03 AM
  #15
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 14,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
How do you have him above Samuelsson?

Velischek was picked well after him for a reason.
Because it appears that Velischek is a better prospect than Samuelsson.

Just because the pens reached horribly with their Samuelsson pick doesnt make him better.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 09:36 AM
  #16
kovy1335
Registered User
 
kovy1335's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cranberry Twp.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,854
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kovy1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Because it appears that Velischek is a better prospect than Samuelsson.

Just because the pens reached horribly with their Samuelsson pick doesnt make him better.
I find it hard to believe you can make that kind of assertion without even the benefit of a season full of hindsight. Don't you think there's probably a reason why the entire Penguins organization thought Samuelsson was better, not to mention the fact that the rest of the league was passing over Velischek? It's not like guys just slip under the radar for teams these days. Velischek wasn't exactly hiding in a bunker waiting for the Pens to grab him.

kovy1335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 09:49 AM
  #17
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 14,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovy1335 View Post
I find it hard to believe you can make that kind of assertion without even the benefit of a season full of hindsight. Don't you think there's probably a reason why the entire Penguins organization thought Samuelsson was better, not to mention the fact that the rest of the league was passing over Velischek? It's not like guys just slip under the radar for teams these days. Velischek wasn't exactly hiding in a bunker waiting for the Pens to grab him.
The basis of your argument is that because the Pens took him in the 2nd he therefore is the better prospect?

Can you describe to me what about Phil Samuelsson you like that makes you believe that he is the best prospect out of that list without resorting to where he was taken in the draft?

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 09:52 AM
  #18
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President
 
SprootsMasterFlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,259
vCash: 500
I voted for Moon.... One day, he'll be the first to moon everybody as a goal celebration. Eat My Shorts, Ovy!


SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 09:57 AM
  #19
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal
 
SCUDeriMISSILE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,137
vCash: 500
Went with Samuelsson.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 10:12 AM
  #20
Kinguin
Registered User
 
Kinguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Guarulhos, BR
Country: Brazil
Posts: 4,827
vCash: 500
I hope it's Curry, we need a good third goalie.

Kinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 12:02 PM
  #21
kovy1335
Registered User
 
kovy1335's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cranberry Twp.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,854
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kovy1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
The basis of your argument is that because the Pens took him in the 2nd he therefore is the better prospect?

Can you describe to me what about Phil Samuelsson you like that makes you believe that he is the best prospect out of that list without resorting to where he was taken in the draft?
No, the basis of my argument is that the whole league thought 122 players were better prospects in this draft year than Velischek.

What do you want me to say? He projects as a big, aggressive defensive defenseman. If you need something to be quantified with stats, he led the U.S. and finished second overall in plus/minus at the World Under-18 Championship. And he's headed for BC, a place that has had some success developing NHL blueliners. I like his chances.

kovy1335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 12:24 PM
  #22
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 14,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovy1335 View Post
No, the basis of my argument is that the whole league thought 122 players were better prospects in this draft year than Velischek.

What do you want me to say? He projects as a big, aggressive defensive defenseman. If you need something to be quantified with stats, he led the U.S. and finished second overall in plus/minus at the World Under-18 Championship. And he's headed for BC, a place that has had some success developing NHL blueliners. I like his chances.
Using the amount of players selected before him is a completely retarded argument, especially when pretty much everyone admits it was a reach to select Samuelsson where he was.

I personally couldnt care much about stats, especially +/- when deciding if a prospect is better than another.

Velischek projects to be a much more usefull all around defender than Samuelsson does. I'd rather have that than a one dimensional player anyday.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 01:51 PM
  #23
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles Kilometers View Post
Moon by a nose.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 01:53 PM
  #24
Jeff Goldblum
Registered User
 
Jeff Goldblum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 7,910
vCash: 500
Went with Pechurski. The organization is very high on him and he'll be coming over to the WHL. He's going to shoot up through the mid-season rankings.

Jeff Goldblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 01:59 PM
  #25
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Using the amount of players selected before him is a completely retarded argument, especially when pretty much everyone admits it was a reach to select Samuelsson where he was.

I personally couldnt care much about stats, especially +/- when deciding if a prospect is better than another.

Velischek projects to be a much more usefull all around defender than Samuelsson does. I'd rather have that than a one dimensional player anyday.
What you would rather have was not factored into the Pens organization view on draft day. Maybe they should have consulted you first.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.