HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which game was the most important game of last season?

Old
08-15-2009, 04:19 PM
gavinator11

vCash: 500
Which game was the most important game of last season?

I'll start with the game against Tampa when Geno led the comeback from 3 down in the third to win in overtime. If we lost that game, MT would be fired and we'd be sellers from that point on.

gavinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 04:22 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

The game against Chicago which we won in OT and started our perfect road trip.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Game 7 of the SCF, of course.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 04:33 PM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Boosh View Post
I don't see any reason for this thread to stay open now.

Game 7 of the SCF is the biggest game any hockey player in any league can dream of playing in.

Other than that, I'd say Game 7 against Washington.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 04:34 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Oh come on, guys. He had to mean regular season.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 05:01 PM
blue line cretin

For the regular season it would have to be the Detroit comeback on 11/11/08, a sign of things to come. Eerie date too cause Staal got a hat trick that night.

blue line cretin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 05:01 PM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinator11 View Post
I'll start with the game against Tampa when Geno led the comeback from 3 down in the third to win in overtime. If we lost that game, MT would be fired and we'd be sellers from that point on.
Any of those games that prolonged MT's tenure were not helpful to this team. The end result was great but man did we get lucky with that miraculous record that the team recorded once Therrien received the ole heave ho.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Bylsmagic

The last game of the Flyers regular season. Against New York, wasn't it?

Bylsmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 05:46 PM
gavinator11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Any of those games that prolonged MT's tenure were not helpful to this team. The end result was great but man did we get lucky with that miraculous record that the team recorded once Therrien received the ole heave ho.
I actually did want Therrien gone the way the season was going around February because the team looked like they were in a prison the way Therrien was going about doing business, I knew he was going to be fired but it was a matter of when and I actually knew that the system change was the spark the team needed.

And yes in the regular season only.

Last edited by gavinator11: 08-15-2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Determining which games to put on this thread.
gavinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Dingleberry*

The most important game of the Reg.Season was against Toronto in which they destroyed us. The very next day, MT got fired, then we all know what happened after that

Dingleberry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 06:13 PM
busta9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Pens View Post
For the regular season it would have to be the Detroit comeback on 11/11/08, a sign of things to come. Eerie date too cause Staal got a hat trick that night.
I was at that game. My gf surprised me with tickets. She wore her #11 Staal Jersey and sat in seat #11 on the 11 month and 11 day. Best game I ever seen live and probably every will be.

Last edited by busta9: 08-16-2009 at 08:33 AM. Reason: intoxicated when typing
busta9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 07:36 PM
Lemieuxfan

Send a message via ICQ to Lemieuxfan
how about cut the option to "only games in the regular season"?...

Lemieuxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 07:56 PM
SpyneShattering

Send a message via AIM to SpyneShattering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bylsmagic View Post
The last game of the Flyers regular season. Against New York, wasn't it?

DING DING DING we got a winner. And if you go into the post season, Both game 7 winners for Carolina also help pave the to the Cup.

SpyneShattering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 07:58 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
The game against Chicago which we won in OT and started our perfect road trip.
This.

This game, in my opinion, gave the Penguins the confidence to match up with anyone. It gave the team the belief in their own ability. It's the one game that pushed us over the edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Boosh View Post
I disagree.

Obviously Game 7 was important... but you don't get to Game 7 if you don't turn the season around. The grit and the hard work to go from 10th place to 4th in a little more than a month... is just remarkable.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 08:33 PM
SirJordanStaal11*

all of them

SirJordanStaal11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 09:26 PM
vcx*

The game where Staal took over and won against the Wings, why? Crosby and Malkin, two of the top 3 players in the game tried and couldn't rally the troops, who did? Jordan Staal, the guy people over look, criticize and 90% of the people here consider overrated. It showed that this team has the talent to dominate from lines 1-3 and in the playoffs, 4th liners did damage to teams.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Jeff Goldblum

The 6-2 loss against Toronto on February 15th.

Jeff Goldblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingleberry View Post
The most important game of the Reg.Season was against Toronto in which they destroyed us. The very next day, MT got fired, then we all know what happened after that
This.

Silas Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Pens1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Pens View Post
We have a winner

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 02:09 PM
spizzle420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Goldblum View Post
The 6-2 loss against Toronto on February 15th.
on Feb 14.

I was there, as a pens fan, and Toronto citizen.

I said to myself, "This is a joke, how's this team going to go anywhere." The system was awful. Even I had to stand up when Blake scored his 2nd goal with the announcement from his 1st still going.

Pointed to Therrien. Told my buddy he had to go. Next day, Boom.

Few tweaks here and there along the way of a brilliant closing stand and voila; ****ing Champs.

I'd say that game was an eye opener for everyone... getting destroyed by a hack team.

Some other games that come to mind are Phi vs NYR on the last day... home ice was so key vs Philly.

and imo, the turning point of the entire playoffs was Letang's OT goal in game 3 round 2. It brought back all the life.

Last edited by spizzle420: 08-17-2009 at 11:42 AM.
spizzle420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 02:27 PM
johnniewalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingleberry View Post
I think this is the one.

My favorite thing about this game, aside from the fact that it was the straw that broke the camel's back with regard to Therrien, was this:

At the start of the 3rd period, the Pens are up 2-1, when Jason Blake scores 2 goals in like 20 seconds. The Leafs are just absolutely dominating the play and you can kind of tell the game is over.

About halfway through the third, Blake comes in on Fleury and the defensemen are nowhere to be found. Blake has speed and cuts across the front of the net and Fleury is completely beaten. Blake chips the puck at the net and Fleury absolutely ROBS him from out of nowhere with a leaping glove save.

The guy running the spotlight is so sure it's a goal that he puts the spotlight on Blake and the entire crowd was on their feet ready to throw hats on the ice.

johnniewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 04:53 PM
BrOrpik 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
I think this is the one.

My favorite thing about this game, aside from the fact that it was the straw that broke the camel's back with regard to Therrien, was this:

At the start of the 3rd period, the Pens are up 2-1, when Jason Blake scores 2 goals in like 20 seconds. The Leafs are just absolutely dominating the play and you can kind of tell the game is over.

About halfway through the third, Blake comes in on Fleury and the defensemen are nowhere to be found. Blake has speed and cuts across the front of the net and Fleury is completely beaten. Blake chips the puck at the net and Fleury absolutely ROBS him from out of nowhere with a leaping glove save.

The guy running the spotlight is so sure it's a goal that he puts the spotlight on Blake and the entire crowd was on their feet ready to throw hats on the ice.

What this man (woman?) said, the steal fleury does no blake is just unreal, shame it had to be such a terrible game all in all, but hey we got a new coach from it atleast (and a shiny new cup later on too )

BrOrpik 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 09:44 AM
Bluefan75

Quote:
Originally Posted by busta9 View Post
I was at that game. My gf surprised me with tickets. She wore her #11 Staal Jersey and sat in seat #11 on the 11 month and 11 day. Best game I ever seen live and probably every will be.
I was there as well(you weren't by any chance stuck near the wall all the way back up top behind the net where the Pens scored the winner were you?) That will probably be the greatest game I ever get to see live in my lifetime. Getting a goal from Crosby 4 minutes in, to the comeback was just outstanding, tremendous...I'm still trying to find the perfect description to that game that night.

But most important had to be the Toronto game that made Shero et al. realize they couldn't wait until the end of the regular season to fire him. I believe that, so long as they were in a playoff spot, disappointing a seed as it may be, they would not fire Therrien until after the season. Getting absolutely embarassed by Toronto that night made them realize they couldn't wait, and probably that they made a mistake not doing it in December.

There were some great games, and some very key games, but importance will always be the game that made them decide to put in a coach who would run a system that puts this particular group of players in the best position for them to succeed with the talents they bring to the table. The prison comment is a very accurate one. I don't think they make the playoffs if Therrien remains coach.

Bluefan75 is offline   Reply With Quote