HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke takes notice of team culture change!

Old
08-20-2009, 06:51 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corleone View Post
Yup, now if only we could get some Canadians in return for all these Americans
Francois Beauchemin's American?

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 06:52 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
Not happening. Stajan was our best centerman last season.

Common Mess. Your looking way to far into some dumb little quote.

A couple of months ago Burke mentioned Grabovski, Mitchell, Bozak for centerman and forgot Stajan.... People thought that meant that Stajan was gone for sure ...

Your doing the exact same thing here with Bozak..... I can almost garuntee you that if you were doing an interview with 20 people right in your face, that you'd forget a player or two from time to time.
Just like most people, Mess sees what he wants to see.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 08:07 PM
dybbuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
Poni, Blake, Kuliman, Stempniak, Hagman, Mayers and maybe Whitey. Seven guys for six spots without considering Tlusty, Stalberg, Bozak, Hanson or Orr. Who BB lists in his depth charts today might not mean very much if he seriously means to start the season with the best players out of camp.
Six spots? Are you talking top 6(bottom 6)? or wingers or what?

dybbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 09:24 PM
MiniBurke

my way of thinking is that the young guys stalberg, hanson, maybe Bozak and definatley Kadri will not make this team at the start of the year. Stajan will make the team because he has trade value. build the guys up for the first 15 games or so and then trade them for picks. then after there is room bring Bozak and the other guys up from the Marlies. It's hard to get good value for a guy when he's in the minors. I love Kadri's moxy but he should stay in junior this season and we can watch him at the WJC. Hes only listed at like 170lbs. I know that the new NHL helps out the smaller/skilled guys but I'd take him in two years when hes 190lbs Should be interesting to see who doesn't make it.

MiniBurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 09:42 PM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeker17 View Post
I am so glad Burke came to Toronto. He is definitely what this team needed.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 12:06 AM
Oggleson

Yeah, and people on the outside looking in realistically just need to keep their heads up and wait their turn.

I remember we were talking about this same logjam on D last year (albeit this year's defence overall looks better), and with a few injuries a bunch of space opened up. If a big contract gets buried in the AHL, he'll get his chance eventually, if he earns it, like Mark Bell last year and, yes, Deveraux. I'm just hoping we at least get a chance to showcase those who we might be flipping at the deadline.

Oggleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 12:26 AM
TopProspect91

Don't understand what all the fuss is about over the "center" position. Most good centers can be moved to the wing. Example: if Wallin is having a great camp (winning faceoffs, forechecking, etc.) and Bozak is having a great camp but not doing as well in the faceoff circle, you can easily just move him to the wing. It's not like baseball where it's a completely different position that takes time to learn in some cases (ie. moving from the infield to the outfield).

We've seen it alot as Leaf fans in previous years when we had a plethora of centerman who just easily moved to the wing. It's not going to be a problem IMO.

TopProspect91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 12:38 AM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopProspect91 View Post
It's not like baseball where it's a completely different position that takes time to learn in some cases (ie. moving from the infield to the outfield).
Are you serious?

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 09:02 AM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch Imlach View Post
I think my favourite part of the article (and Burke's) is Kadri fully expecting to make the Leafs this season. Definitely enjoy his swagger.
I liked that part of the article the most also,and the whole talk about which center will get bumped by everyone never even mentioned Kadri's goal to make the team out of camp. Its funny too because he is skilled and fast enough to "maybe" out perform 50% of the forwards without even factoring in his off the scale motivation that he seems to want everyone to hear about lol.

Anyways he's a center too folks,and i am not counting him out!

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 09:50 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
I liked that part of the article the most also,and the whole talk about which center will get bumped by everyone never even mentioned Kadri's goal to make the team out of camp. Its funny too because he is skilled and fast enough to "maybe" out perform 50% of the forwards without even factoring in his off the scale motivation that he seems to want everyone to hear about lol.

Anyways he's a center too folks,and i am not counting him out!
Seems like he's kind of big for his britches. Someone will pound him into next year's training camp with a wake-up call hit.

Reminds me of Dave Simpson from the London Knights talking about how he was going to make the Islanders after scoring a goal a game in the OHL, and being the scoring leader.

Here's how that worked out:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=7494

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 09:53 AM
stoney

Quote:
Thats just it though... Both Mitchell and Wallin can play wing... so why not:
Blake-Stajan-Tlusty
Poni-Grabo-Kulemin
Mitchell-Wallin-Hagman
Mayers-Primeau-Orr
????

From what I understand, Wallin is good at faceoffs.... Mitchell... not so much.
Maybe? If Mitchell can hang on the wing, sure. Some guys can't play off position, so that is something I can't really answer. I would like to see Mitchell working the wing though, it almost seems to better suit his grinding game.

stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 09:59 AM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneymcstone View Post
Maybe? If Mitchell can hang on the wing, sure. Some guys can't play off position, so that is something I can't really answer. I would like to see Mitchell working the wing though, it almost seems to better suit his grinding game.
When Moore was here... Mitchell played a lot of wing on the 4th line last season.

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 10:02 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Seems like he's kind of big for his britches. Someone will pound him into next year's training camp with a wake-up call hit.Reminds me of Dave Simpson from the London Knights talking about how he was going to make the Islanders after scoring a goal a game in the OHL, and being the scoring leader.

I think Kadri has some skill, and could be a player, but he really needs a wake up call as to what it's like to play in the NHL. Would do him some good IMO.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 10:10 AM
leafspring*

Quote:
Seems like he's kind of big for his britches. Someone will pound him into next year's training camp with a wake-up call hit.

Reminds me of Dave Simpson from the London Knights talking about how he was going to make the Islanders after scoring a goal a game in the OHL, and being the scoring leader.

Are ya serious ULF. First thought was, who the hell is Dave Simpson, then i checked the link. So again lol, who the hell is dave simpson?

Hows things ulf?

Old
08-21-2009, 10:19 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
Are ya serious ULF. First thought was, who the hell is Dave Simpson, then i checked the link. So again lol, who the hell is dave simpson?

Hows things ulf?
Perhaps the best junior player in Canada at the time, who was interviewed before going to the Islanders camp and suggested he was going to make the team. His suggestion that he was better than the NHL players on the team wasn't well received either.

Didn't go very well for him. I was in London at the time, I'm trying to remember, and I believe he is Craig's brother.

Old
08-21-2009, 10:28 AM
mlugia
That other guy

Dave Simpson apparently quit hockey to focus on a business career of his own accord, so I don't see how that applies.

mlugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 10:31 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlugia View Post
Dave Simpson apparently quit hockey to focus on a business career of his own accord, so I don't see how that applies.
He quit because he didn't make it and thought walking onto a NHL team was a foregone conclusion because of how good he was.

Old
08-21-2009, 10:32 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:

It goes both ways. There was a brash, cocky 20 year old who made the St. Louis Blues in the 1980's. He took every physical challenge thrown his way and later became a very popular Leaf.

Also in the 1980's there was a big young 18 year old defenseman who fancied himself as a heavyweight until he met a real NHL heavyweight (Probert, I believe) in his first pre-season. Lesson learned. Went on to have a nice 20 year NHL career.

In no place did I hear that Kadri thinks he's "entitled" to become and stay an NHL player. He wants to earn it.

Why a Leaf fan would want the team's top pick to get pounded "into next year's training camp with a wake-up call hit" instead of succeeding is beyond me... Not really a Leaf fan perhaps?

Last edited by StarBurns RIP: 08-21-2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Correction: 20 year old, 1 year after drafted...
StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 10:39 AM
LTL

So now we're hoping Kadri gets knocked down a level because he wants to make the team?

First its Schenn (and still is) now its Kadri.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 10:43 AM
leafspring*

Quote:
Perhaps the best junior player in Canada at the time, who was interviewed before going to the Islanders camp and suggested he was going to make the team. His suggestion that he was better than the NHL players on the team wasn't well received either.

Didn't go very well for him. I was in London at the time, I'm trying to remember, and I believe he is Craig's brother.
Hmmm. never heard of him(which makes your point clearer)lol. However, in fairness Kadri hasn't said he will make the team,but that its his goal though. To me, if Kadri plays at the WJHC's last year he's not there at #7 for us possibly.

Time will tell how good he is in comparison to the forwards picked ahead of him but i have more than a hunch that we have a player equal to the forwards picked ahead of him minus Tavares only.

That said, he is more talented than some current roster players and burke keeps saying he'll keep the best players etc. He has a outside chance atleast.(i think)

Old
08-21-2009, 10:46 AM
NoamHemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
So now we're hoping Kadri gets knocked down a level because he wants to make the team?

First its Schenn (and still is) now its Kadri.
Ulf gets upset when the Leaf's don't draft "his" guy. Same MO as Mess with a bit more subtlety.

NoamHemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Ruski

Quote:
Not happening. Stajan was our best centerman last season....
Really? How do you figure that one?

Antropov played WAY better than Stajan up until he got traded....and I would argue that Grabovski was above him too.

Stajan really needs to step up this year and come up hard, cause otherwise he will be warming a chair up in the press box most of the year.

Ruski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 10:49 AM
russmatuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoamHemsky View Post
Ulf gets upset when the Leaf's don't draft "his" guy. Same MO as Mess with a bit more subtlety.
Which isn't exactly hard.

russmatuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 10:52 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoamHemsky View Post
Actually, my guy wasn't available, so I'm fine with Kadri.

Coyotes took my guy.

Old
08-21-2009, 10:53 AM
TOG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruski View Post
Really? How do you figure that one?

Antropov played WAY better than Stajan up until he got traded....and I would argue that Grabovski was above him too.

Stajan really needs to step up this year and come up hard, cause otherwise he will be warming a chair up in the press box most of the year.
Antropov wasn't a center for last year. And there is no way Grabovski was above him... Stajan did tail off when he was no longer playing with Poni and Antro, but Grabo also played much better when Poni was on his wing.

TOG26 is online now   Reply With Quote