HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Burke takes notice of team culture change!

Old
08-21-2009, 02:55 PM
Frankie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsInSeven View Post
Assuming both are sincere, it's futile to whine about something you have no control over. Isn't it something you grow out of after your teenage years have passed? "Give me strength to change the things I can change, and the strength to accept the things I can't change ..." or however that goes. Taking it to the point of hoping for your unannointed one to fail, bust or even get hurt, is just childish.
i don't think any of us have any control over anything the leafs do, or any of the results the leafs have. yet, we talk about the team and discuss the team endlessly. are we stupid for doing this?

Last edited by Newfie John: 08-21-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 04:06 PM
stoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Every story has two sides and both sides need to represented on a message board to have an open a fair honest discussion.

Its not meant to be controversial, nor bring out posters negative responses in defense. In an unbiased discussion you have to take the good with the bad of various reports, discuss them and then we can all form our own opinions. These are not my opinions I have posted by CSS and McKeens scouting reports on the topic. Not sure what trying to sweep the negative parts away or try to ignore them when they exist does.. Kadri has some real good elite offensive talent but his attitude has been questioned by scouts also..

Character is something myself personally I put a lot of weight on when I evaluate a player, and being quietly confident and humble is a trait that stands out.. Kadri has a strong personality (scouting reports back that up), and an attitude that he is better then most.. Some times this works out as self confidence is good, but too much arrogance in a personality can be bad.

Now we have to wait and see how this pick works out..
I recall you having an issue with intangible, unmeasureable stats? At least when they aren't your own.

stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Cool Beans Man

Wait, so Kadri gets drafted by the Leafs 7th overall, and we expect him to enter camp with the mentality of:

"This should be fun...not going to make it though."

Nothing wrong with the kid setting goals. It's good to see.

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 06:24 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsInSeven View Post
"He counted 28 players working out in mid-July and Burke pulled a veteran aside and asked him how many would have been in the weight room a year ago last summer. The
answer: Five."

I absolutely love it. This is the difference between a winning team and an also-ran. Dedication to get better even when you've arrived.

P.S. I remember hearing that John Mitchell was one of the 5 last summer. Maybe the difference between where his career turned last season and being in the same boat as Jeremy Williams and Justin Pogge.
Thing is, Williams and Pogge were known as more established prospects, giving them that sense of entitlement IMO. It seems like they sit their and say to themselves, I think I'm a pretty damn good player, The Leafs stink and they need me in this organization. IMO that's the kind of mentality they had, I don't think Pogge was so bad but there's certainly been a sense of entitlement from the farm to the big club.I also thought it was funny that Williams demanded a trade, was put on waivers and nobody would touch em, Pogge had no value, it completely plummeted since junior. But because you play in Toronto your the ****. Guys like Mitchell who are less talented have to work their ***** off to have a chance. And of course, Mitchell has become one of the fastest players in the league. That's no joke. I love what Burke has done with this team, no more BS, we're paying you play and be in top shape otherwise, have fun in the press box or in the minors which is obviously seen as a slap in the face to a vet. I don't think most of us realized how bad this team was in terms of staying in shape or being in shape to begin with. Maurice mentioned it and Wilson looked last year in camp was baffled.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote