HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009-2010 Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Langway
Intangibles

vCash: 500
2009-2010 Prospects Thread

It's just about that time of year again. CHL training camps either have opened or will be opening over the coming week or so.

Here's the rundown for the '09-10 season:

North America:

QMJHL:
- Benjamin Casavant, LW, PEI (7th/09)
- Dmitry Kugryshev, RW, Quebec (2nd/08)

OHL:
- Stefan Della Rovere, LW, Barrie (7th/08)
- Brett Flemming, D, Mississauga (5th/09)

WHL:
- Joel Broda, C/LW, Calgary (5th/08)
- Cody Eakin, C/W, Swift Current (3rd/09)
- Eric Mestery, D, Lethbridge (2nd/08)
- Garrett Mitchell, RW, Regina (6th/09)

NCAA:
- Greg Burke, RW, UNH (6th/08)
- Phil DeSimone, C, UNH (3rd/07)
- Dan Dunn, G, St. Cloud State (6th/07)
- Andrew Glass, RW, Boston U (7th/07)
- Nick Larson, RW, Minnesota (7th/07)
- Patrick Wey, D, Boston College (4th/09)

Last season's NA thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=545329

Europe:

SEL:
- Marcus Johansson, C, Farjestad (1st/09)

Swe-2 (Allsvenskan):
- Anton Gustafsson, C, Boras (1st/08)

KHL:
- Dmitri Orlov, D, Metallurg Novokuznetsk (2nd/09) (Linked to EliteProspects since his team page brings back potential security risks.)

Both players have already been in exhibition & pre-season action.

Johansson has a goal in three Nordic Cup matches. You can follow the tourney here.

Orlov's Novokuznetsk has played a little pre-season action, including a win over Omsk that featured this Orlov hit on Svitov.

Last season's Euro thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=545326

Last edited by Langway: 10-15-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old
08-20-2009, 08:27 PM
sk84fun_dc

also, the general links to a few sites:

US College Hockey Online

Hockey East

WCHA

Canadian Hockey League

Ontario Hockey League

Quebec Major Junior Hockey League

Western Hockey League

USHL

Other sites for stats:

CollegeHockeyStats

Pointstreak for USHL stats

fwiw, I think it is helpful to provide the link in the first post to the league stats pages for the players (USCHO, WHL, etc.) once the stats pages are active (along with the bios you have linked)

Old
08-21-2009, 08:31 AM
sk84fun_dc

Regina Pats training camp update: "Garrett Mitchell received the team’s fitness award after testing was conducted Monday. The top five fitness scores belonged to Mitchell, Matt Strueby, Colten Teubert, Brett Leffler and rookie Brandon Davidson. It’s interesting to note that Mitchell and Strueby both worked out for the entire summer under the guidance of Pats athletic therapist Greg Mayer, who runs his own training business out of the Brandt Centre in the offseason."

link

Old
08-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Cush
-inator

BC vs BU at Fenway Park, Jan 8

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=288290

Old
08-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Condensed the threads down to one. I think we did just have a Euro prospects thread solely for Gustafsson last season but this should be better.

Orlov confirmed to be staying in Russia for the upcoming season.

Old
08-21-2009, 11:49 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Condensed the threads down to one. I think we did just have a Euro prospects thread solely for Gustafsson last season but this should be better.

Orlov confirmed to be staying in Russia for the upcoming season.
fwiw, the separate thread last season was silly as it was for 1 prospect, there is more of an argument for it this season, but really 1 thread makes sense so I like the consolidation

also, following your link to the Orlov (not very surprising) update, there is a translation of an update about Yunkov and the Caps lack of interest below it

Old
08-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Cush
-inator

I know it's only a pre-season, but seeing how Josefson (7pts in 5 games) and Klingberg (4goals in 5 games) are lighting it up, 1pt in 4 games for MJ is disappointing.

Did Farjestads lose some key players, or are they not playing their regulars? They've only scored 6 goals while allowing 13

Old
08-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Farjestad lost three of their top four scorers, their top blueline scorer and their starter. It doesn't seem like they replaced them with veterans of comparable quality, as it appears they've been more or less playing their full roster. It's likely going to be a long year when it comes to their record but it does give Johansson an opportunity to play a pretty significant role. He's already been moved up from fourth-line center to second-line center and should get quite a bit of PP time.

Old
08-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Cush
-inator

Quote:
Farjestad lost three of their top four scorers, their top blueline scorer and their starter. It doesn't seem like they replaced them with veterans of comparable quality, as it appears they've been more or less playing their full roster. It's likely going to be a long year when it comes to their record but it does give Johansson an opportunity to play a pretty significant role. He's already been moved up from fourth-line center to second-line center and should get quite a bit of PP time.
thanks. are they having money problems? seems a little odd that players would leave a championship winning team

EDIT: Johansson picks up an assist on ENG vs Frolunda

Last edited by Cush: 08-21-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old
08-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Tomppav

Send a message via AIM to Tomppav
Yunkov says he was/is ready to come over to NA, but Caps showed no interest.

Old
08-22-2009, 11:59 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Thats good news on Johansson moving up. I dont want to put any pressure on the kid but with Gus probably being projected as a 3rd liner, we need this kid to come through. And thanks for the consolidating of the prospect threads.

Old
08-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Cush
-inator

Looks like Johansson has joined FBK's JR 20 team who is also in the tourny. Picked up an assist (and a slash) in a 2-1 win over Frolunda

Old
08-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
thanks. are they having money problems? seems a little odd that players would leave a championship winning team
Couldn't say. Three of the players left to come to North America. Two of them were fairly young (Jonas Gustavsson & Mikael Johansson) but Rickard Wallin signing with Toronto had to be somewhat of a surprise. It seems like he was one of their better leaders and had signed a four-year deal with them, though it did have an NHL out-clause. Perhaps he'll return to Farjestad if he can't crack Toronto's lineup, though he has played at the AHL level in the past in Minnesota's system.

It looks like that was the Nordic Trophy Junior Final that Johansson was added by Farjestad's J20 team to play in. He picked up another penalty early in that one.

Old
08-24-2009, 08:51 AM
Tomppav

Orlov thinks Russians should play more often against Canadians.

Old
08-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Tomppav

There will be a U20 4 Nations Tournament in city of Kotka, Finland during 4-6 September. The participants are Finland, Sweden, Russia and Czechs.

Team Sweden have already announced their roster and it includes Caps' top pick of this summer, M. Johansson.

Finns' rosters includes some high-touted 2010 prospects like Mikael Granlund and Teemu Pulkkinen.

Russians haven't yet announced their roster, but there's good possibility that Orlov will be included.

I'll be in that part of Finland during the tournament, so I'll try to attend atleast one of the Swedes' games so I could get to see Johansson in action. If Orlov will be in Team Russia, I may go to the Russia-Sweden game. If I go to the games, I'll post my "scouting report" here too.

Old
08-25-2009, 07:45 AM
Tomppav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomppav View Post
Russians haven't yet announced their roster, but there's good possibility that Orlov will be included.
I guessed right this time.

Old
08-25-2009, 09:23 AM
sk84fun_dc

ok, so maybe some of this belongs in the Bears/Rays thread, but seems the appropriate place to put these links all in one post for those interested:

Carlson comments on the Calder Cup link

Holtby article

Still going to be a battle for playing time given Mike Lee's arrival, but looks like Dunn will get some playing time with Weslosky not returning to SCSU. link and link

OT: former Cap prospect Leffler update and Heward updatelink

Old
08-26-2009, 10:11 AM
sk84fun_dc

Broda updates: " "With the goals he had put up, we hoped he would continue to do that for us," Kisio said. "And then, the next season, you fly by the seat of your pants." Broda did exactly what was expected of him, leading the team with 24 points in the post-season. But the Washington Capitals, who selected Broda in the fifth round of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, have yet to sign the young prospect.

"I've talked to (the Capitals' management)," Kisio said. "They think he's a very good prospect, but their farm team is very solid. They won the American League last year, so they're very deep.

"I think a lot of where he ends up has to do with what kind of training camp he has with Washington."
link

Sounds consistent with what I posted in the Broda prospect thread yesterday, sounds like a playing pro this season depends on his camp performance given the contracts already handed out and the number of players keeping for playing time.

and another note from the other Calgary paper about Broda as Hitmen camp opens: "Joel Broda, who is heading into his 20-year-old season, is up in the air as he could be signed by the Washington Capitals, who drafted him last year." link

some quotes from Rovere about the Barrie team at camp link

small Carlson update - he is not participating in the London tourney..."Carlson and Del Zotto are heading to NHL camps this week. Quincy was hurt and Methot was told by the Columbus Blue Jackets they weren't thrilled with his participation. Several NHL teams weren't excited about their players participating. As more information came forward about the nature of the tournament, NHL teams were worried about competitive nature of the event." link

Old
08-27-2009, 03:17 PM
sk84fun_dc

another update this one with quotes from Broda: link

"Maybe at the start of the off-season, I certainly thought it would happen sooner," Broda said this week from Calgary, where the Hitmen begin their main training camp Friday.

"But, every team is different. (The Capitals) have a really deep organization, so they've had the time to wait with me. They're just taking their time, and they have the right to do so.

..."I always think I can do better, but I think did pretty well down there (at the summer camp)," Broda said. "And I think they're happy"...

"Broda, six feet and 202 pounds, is recovering from a minor wrist injury that he suffered off the ice last week and might delay or limit his participation in the Hitmen camp."

also, Vogel has a DeSimone write-up posted on the Caps site, I don't believe it was posted before, sorry if this is a duplicate link

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 08-27-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old
08-28-2009, 08:18 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Some quotes from Dunn on his past two seasons and his mindset heading into the upcoming season.

Pokulok signs with ECHL Bakersfield, Anaheim's ECHL affiliate. He'll also be at Hartford's AHL camp, the NY Rangers affiliate, hoping to earn an AHL spot/contract.

Old
08-28-2009, 08:46 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Some quotes from Dunn on his past two seasons and his mindset heading into the upcoming season.

Pokulok signs with ECHL Bakersfield, Anaheim's ECHL affiliate. He'll also be at Hartford's AHL camp, the NY Rangers affiliate, hoping to earn an AHL spot/contract.
I saw the Pokulok ECHL/Bakersfield info. posted by a Stingrays fan yesterday but hadn't seen it in writing before now. Interesting...not surprised to see a team giving him an AHL tryout.

although the best part of that article is the rebirth of the Hartford Whalers

Old
08-28-2009, 08:58 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Old
08-28-2009, 09:42 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

I don't even have to watch that to know what it is.

Great. Now I'm going to have it stuck in my head all day.

Old
08-28-2009, 09:52 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Muahaha.

It beats 'Eye of the Tiger' in my head off and on since Gustafsson posted his video.

Old
08-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Cush
-inator

Färjestads BK vs IF Malmö Redhawks at 1pm

http://stats.swehockey.se/online/todaysgames_nordic.htm

Closed Thread