Notices

Wallin impressions?

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2004, 09:46 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Wallin impressions?

What do you all think? I wasn't too impressed in the game or two I saw after his call-up, but he seems to have turned it up a notch of late.

One thing I've noticed is that most of his goals come from within 3 feet of the goal; deflections, rebounds, etc. This is unusual for a Wild player to be collecting garbage out front, and is something they could sure use.

Old
04-03-2004, 10:11 AM
vitogor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
What do you all think? I wasn't too impressed in the game or two I saw after his call-up, but he seems to have turned it up a notch of late.

One thing I've noticed is that most of his goals come from within 3 feet of the goal; deflections, rebounds, etc. This is unusual for a Wild player to be collecting garbage out front, and is something they could sure use.
...it's something rather surprising as well, coming from a player like Wallin. You'd think he wasn't the type of player to go into the nasty areas of the ice.

Old
04-03-2004, 10:15 AM
Kristofer

I agree, His first couple games he only looked okay to me. He just didn't seem to have a lot of intensity in his game. But lately he's been playing better offensively and back checking where he didn't seem to be before.
I also agree the way he scores his goals is just what the Wild need. They really don't have that kind of player aside from Johnson and Wiemer, and Wiemer isn't very impressive offensively.

Old
04-03-2004, 10:59 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

there isn't much flash in his game...he and gaborik seem to be clicking tho

Old
04-03-2004, 11:28 AM
ceber

Hopefully the Wallin we're seeing now is closer to the regular Wallin, and not just Wallin-on-a-streak. I like his face-off work, that's for sure. Plus he does seem to be pretty talented with the puck. Can he be a Lemaire-type center? Lots of work involved there. He has looked pretty good lately, so maybe he's just taken some time to get adjusted to the size of the job.

Old
04-03-2004, 12:44 PM
BJ

Quote:

He scored alot of his goals that way in Färjestad too. So, for us here in Sweden it's nothing new. You might not believe it, but he often took the "Tomas Holmström position" in front of goal when playing power play.

Last edited by BJ: 04-03-2004 at 01:41 PM.
Old
04-03-2004, 01:24 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
He scored alot of his goals that way in Färjestad too. So, for us here in Sweden it's nothing new. You might not believe it, but hi often took the "Tomas Holmström position" in front of goal when playing power play.
Thanks for this BJ - I was wondering if that was the way he played over there.

I was impressed with his rebound goal vs. Dallas; he neatly kicked the puck to his stick and flicked it in. Right now, he's got me saying "Sergei who?"

BTW, Wallin has 4 goals and 3 assists in his last 5 games.

Last edited by Surly Furious: 04-03-2004 at 04:29 PM.
Old
04-03-2004, 01:49 PM
BJ

Quote:

I was impressed with his rebound goal vs. Dallas; he neatly kicked the puck to his stick and flicked it in. Right now, he's got me saying "Sergei who?"
Well, I'm happy that he finally got a chance and that he took it. Another thing that he did great when he played in Färjestad was that he almost always won the puck along the boards despite his slim stature. So, for Rickard!

Old
04-03-2004, 02:13 PM
theo6060

Quote:

Beat me to it. I caught the highlights this morning, I was like "woah!" then thought, "Wallin?" That goal was mighty impressive I'll say. Although limited to highlights, I have liked what I have seen (which obviously isn't much). Glad he's doing alright!

Old
04-06-2004, 09:30 AM
Seiza

Send a message via ICQ to Seiza
I'm thrilled to hear Wallin performing well in NA. I've followed him closely for some time, since he's one of my fauvorite players. He recently got recalled to Utah didn't he?

Old
04-06-2004, 09:36 AM
Kristofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiza
I'm thrilled to hear Wallin performing well in NA. I've followed him closely for some time, since he's one of my fauvorite players. He recently got recalled to Utah didn't he?
Yeah he was sent back down to Houston, not Utah. Their next game is this friday.

Old
04-07-2004, 01:17 AM
Seiza

Send a message via ICQ to Seiza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krys
Yeah he was sent back down to Houston, not Utah. Their next game is this friday.
Ooh, sorry my mistake. Don't know why I came to think about Utah...

Old
04-07-2004, 10:48 AM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

I think he did ok... Lemaire had some really good quotes about him in the paper. I'm sure he'll get every opertunity to make the team next year in Zholtoks or Dowds place.

Old
04-07-2004, 12:12 PM
GaborikRules10!!!

Pretty Impressive if you ask me. 4 goals in 12 games he played. The one goal against Dallas was sure a great one. Im sure JL will give him every oppurtunity to get good icetime next season. Speaking of Houston are they going to the playoffs this year??? I saw we sent Z, Rickard and Stephane down, hopefully that will help them in the playoff hunt. Is there anyone else we can send down???

Old
04-07-2004, 12:33 PM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaborikRules10!!!
Is there anyone else we can send down???
I don't think so. The Aeros had to submit their "clear day roster" to the AHL a while back, and only players listed there can be used, as far as I know. I think there are some exceptions made for injury. I'm not sure what the rules would be concerning our prospects that aren't already in the system there with regards to that, though.

Closed Thread