HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Signing Season

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2004, 10:49 AM
Lowetide

vCash: 500
Signing Season

Quite a few NCAA free agents have found homes post college careers in the last week or so, and I'm wondering if the Oilers have any irons in the fire. OilersChick had heard a report, but nothing has been finalized that I've seen so far, except Kenny Smith signing with Toronto and he's an Oiler draft pick.

So, any rumours? Guy? FM? OilersChick? Holly? speeds?

And if they don't sign any, could we reasonably assume that the reasons might be:

1. the current crop of AHLers has stepped forward sufficiently and that the Oilers don't feel there are large holes among those bubbling under,

2. They're saving their dollars for Mikhnov, Broadziak and JDD?

Thanks in advance anyone who can help, I find the entire college signing format somewhat mysterious.

Old
04-03-2004, 11:08 AM
speeds

I can't pretend to have any inside scoop or rumors LT, but I won't be scared to speculate anyways

I woud guess that perhaps with the lockout coming (and extracting some info from Guy's interview with Lowe) maybe there isn't as much money as available in a normal summer.

On the other hand, with Platt and Smith needing AHL contracts for next year, along with potentially Mikhnov, Deslauriers, Brodziak, Greene, and Johansson, any overage guys they may/may not draft, perhaps the AHL will simply be full?

Or, maybe they want to go into the lockout with adding too much AHL depth, because depending on the lockout who knows what will happen with all these guys?

Then again, maybe another explanation could be it's a normal summer for them in the college signing area, but there's no one out that they want enough to sign as of yet, or they are still playing, or they are in talks and we don't even know it?

Old
04-03-2004, 12:42 PM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
That's great to hear! I wish him well. He's not the most flashiest guy out there, but he's gotta lot of heart and works hard.

BTW, Toronto also signed Defenseman Andy "The Big Wahz" Wozniewski from Wisconsin. This guy is one nasty you-know-what. He's got the makings to become a real tough guy/hard nose. He's big (6'5"/221) and is a punishing hitter. He's got a mean streak and he's gonna need to learn to control it a bit if he's ever gonna make it in the pros. He's a decent skater, possesses a good hard shot and is primarily a defensive defenseman. He's not nearly as skilled offensively as Matt Greene is but he's just about equally as tough to play against.

Old
04-03-2004, 01:00 PM
Funkymoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
Then again, maybe another explanation could be it's a normal summer for them in the college signing area, but there's no one out that they want enough to sign as of yet, or they are still playing, or they are in talks and we don't even know it?
four teams are still playing so any UFAs from them are waiting... Junior Lessard from Minnesota-Duluth is one. One thing I'm wondering is: can players on the Oilers be sent down and play in the AHL? I'm not sure who has to be waived or not but if there are some guys that can be farmed out that might exacerbate the numbers crunch.

Keep in mind that everyone around Greene's situation expects him to sign so there's another guy who will end up on the farm.

I haven't really heard any rumors... Michigan has but one senior this year and he doesn't project to an NHL future. The rest of the CCHA... well Miami Ohio has a few interesting guys. I think the college UFA crop is a little thin though, not like last year when you had Sejna, Kunitz, and Preissing. Hey, and even Jed Ortmeyer who found a regular shift with the Rangers halfway through the year.

Closed Thread