HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Murphy: 'Nucks want to sign Schroeder

Old
08-20-2009, 01:10 PM
lush
@jasonlush

vCash: 500
Murphy: 'Nucks want to sign Schroeder

Quote:
When Vancouver's prospects arrive at camp September 7, don't be suprised if 2009 1st round pick Jordan Schroeder is among them. Word is the Canucks want to sign Schroeder, which would spell the end of his university career at Minnesota. This does not mean it will be the same type of situation that happened with Ryan Kesler. You'll remember Kesler bolted The Ohio State University after his freshman year and turned pro, joining the Manitoba Moose. It doesn't appear the Canucks have the same plans for Schroeder as they likely don't want to burn a year of a deal if he signs. So, what options do Mike Gillis and co. have? Well, Schroeder's CHL rights are owned by the Everett Silvertips, so it's a very good bet that if this all goes down, Schroeder will be playing in the "dub" this season.

If you're asking why would Schroeder leave university to play junior hockey, my guess is the Canucks aren't that happy with the Gophers program right now. And if Patrick White is staying in Minny, then that might also tell you how the Canucks feel about him and his progress within the Gophers system.

Everett has an NHL calibre coach in Craig Hartsburg, and the Canucks have faith in the Silvertips system as highly regarded Vancouver prospect Taylor Ellington just completed his junior career there before joining the Moose. Another Canuck prospect who recently finished junior in Everett is Dan Gendur, who split time between the AHL and ECHL last season.

I called the Canucks Thursday to see if I could get a word with Gillis or Assistant GM Laurence Gilman about Schroeder and was told both were out of town (Florida maybe? to close a deal with Luongo? My gut says yes).

Stay tuned.
Source:
Sportsnet

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

This wouldn't surprise me.

Mike Gillis is making a concerted effort to move any prospect he can closer to Canucks headquarters, and within his ulta-developmental-dominance-sphere-of-death.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:15 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Murphy doesn't report anything unless he's positive. Don't know if it's a good thing for him to go to Silvertips though.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:17 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Quote:
Originally Posted by quysauce View Post
Don't know if it's a good thing for him to go to Silvertips though.
Yeah I agree, that's the real debate in my mind. I'd love to see him at camp, who knows what might happen but I'm curious what Gophers fans would think of this.

He has a good point about Pat White, but is there further evidence to suggest the Gophers system is decent?

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Don't know about this move...yes, there's benefits such as Schroeder being able to play at training camps and preseasons and the like. But for all the issues White seems to have dealt with at the U of M, Schroeder seems to have made it a really positive experience for himself. I think he faces some better competition in the collegiate ranks as well.

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:21 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by quysauce View Post
Murphy doesn't report anything unless he's positive. Don't know if it's a good thing for him to go to Silvertips though.
Well I think the only solid bit of info here is that the Canucks are looking to sign Schroeder. Everything else are speculation and hypotheses.

Pat White aside, I wonder what aspect of the program they could be upset with...

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:23 PM
pitseleh

Maybe the Canucks are worried that Hodgson isn't NHL ready yet so they want Schroeder available as a backup plan.

The Canucks could also want to sign Schroeder to get him on the Moose. They could feel he's not going to gain much developmentally playing in college another year.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Ajackalit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Don't know about this move...yes, there's benefits such as Schroeder being able to play at training camps and preseasons and the like. But for all the issues White seems to have dealt with at the U of M, Schroeder seems to have made it a really positive experience for himself. I think he faces some better competition in the collegiate ranks as well.

~Canucklehead~
Schroeder's success in the NCAA is attributable to the time he spent in the NTDP.....and the fact he has oodles of talent and relentless drive to get better. I actually think Schroeder could step in this year and make more of an impact than Hodgson (but I donít expect to find a lot of support for that idea on this board). Get him in the system and send him where his play suggests he ought to go.

Ajackalit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Wayne Maki

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Maybe the Canucks are worried that Hodgson isn't NHL ready yet so they want Schroeder available as a backup plan.

The Canucks could also want to sign Schroeder to get him on the Moose. They could feel he's not going to gain much developmentally playing in college another year.
You don't think they would want to burn a year of his ELC on the Moose do you?

Also a Schroeder - Tochkin first line would be pretty awesome.

Last edited by Wayne Maki: 08-20-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Wayne Maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Edler Von Gud

vCash: 1308
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:

The Nucks likely don't want to burn a year off his ELC so he will likely play in Everett or Minnesota this season. I think next year Schroeder has a very legit chance at jumping right into the canucks lineup so the canucks are just figuring out which better develops him for next season. The WHL has a physical style of hockey which combined with a longer season (more games) could better prepare Schroeder for a long, physical, draining rookie season next year.

Edler Von Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:40 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:

Dan Murphy basically shoots this down in the article.

08-20-2009, 01:41 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killface View Post
If it were up to me, no. But the Canucks may see that as the best path for his development. The idea of taking him out of college to play as an old 19 year old doesn't really seem like it would be much of a challenge for Schroeder and basically having his way with younger competition probably won't do much for him after dominating 18-24 year olds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
Dan Murphy basically shoots this down in the article.
That seemed like Murphy's speculation to me.

Maybe they do plan on sending him to the WHL. It would just be a surprising move to me.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Ajackalit

Quote:
whos to say it would be a year? He might not need any time in Manitoba...he may only need a handful of games. Maybe they like the idea of him developing chemistry with other Canuck prospects and learing from Scott Arneil. Burning a year off his ELC wouldn't be the end of the world if the result was a much better player next season and thereafter...IMO

Ajackalit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:44 PM
crazycanuck

If the Canucks want Schroeder to sign with them I don't think its as much of a slight to the Gophers program, as it is Gillis wanting more control over Schroeder's development. Having Jordan playing in the WHL would be a nice middle ground as the WHL style of play is very similar to the NHL's, not to mention the # of games played is a lot closer. The fact that Hartsburg would be his coach would be a huge plus as well. Schroeder has dominated the NCAA, I'm not sure how much another season in the NCAA will benefit him.

crazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Rey

I like this. Works for both Schroeder and White.

Schroeder needs to work on consistency and playing a load of games. He'll be able to play much more games in the WHL, and they'll test his strength on whether or not he can hang with the NHL type schedule.

With Schroeder out of the NCAA. White was a really high chance to become the 1st line center, or at worse the 2nd.

Rey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
If the Canucks want Schroeder to sign with them I don't think its as much of a slight to the Gophers program, as it is Gillis wanting more control over Schroeder's development. Having Jordan playing in the WHL would be a nice middle ground as the WHL style of play is very similar to the NHL's, not to mention the # of games played is a lot closer. The fact that Hartsburg would be his coach would be a huge plus as well. Schroeder has dominated the NCAA, I'm not sure how much another season in the NCAA will benefit him.

NCAA would benefit Schroeder because Schroeder plays with tougher opponents than the NCAA with men rather than boys in the WHL. Without Stoa, Schroeder is going to have work twice as hard to dominate the NCAA. Stoa played a factor in his season and creating space.

Rey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:56 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
NCAA would benefit Schroeder because Schroeder plays with tougher opponents than the NCAA with men rather than boys in the WHL.
I think that the increased number of games and the importance placed on the defensive side of the game, both of which the WHL provides will help Schroeder's development.

Most of the 'men' in the NCAA will never see the NHL, and just simply aren't quality players.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Bourdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I like this. Works for both Schroeder and White.

Schroeder needs to work on consistency and playing a load of games. He'll be able to play much more games in the WHL, and they'll test his strength on whether or not he can hang with the NHL type schedule.

With Schroeder out of the NCAA. White was a really high chance to become the 1st line center, or at worse the 2nd.
Zach Budish will most likely be the 1st line center. Goddamnit, I want the Preds' prospect depth.

Bourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Wayne Maki

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Most of the 'men' in the NCAA will never see the NHL, and just simply aren't quality players.
Same could be said about the "boys' in the WHL.

Wayne Maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 02:02 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Same could be said about the "boys' in the WHL.
Fair enough, but I dont hear alot of people going around sayiing the WHL is a tough league to play in because the "boys are older and therefore bigger and tougher to play against".

People make this argument about the NCAA all the time, and frankly, I dont buy into it as much as others do.

Just because the guy can grow a beard by noon doesn't mean anything. In fact, there is a reason he is playing as a third line center at the age of 25.

Old
08-20-2009, 02:03 PM
tantalum

The canucks want to take an active hand with the prospects. That much is clear from the regular conversations Gagner and hodgson had all year to the in person visits to make sure Hodgson was working on what they asked him to work on.

In Schroeder they do have a guy who has the skill and speed to MAYBE make the jump to the NHL in short order. They don't feel the NCAA is the best place for him to do that. Some will argue competition against older players is good and they have a very good point and others will argue that what Schroeder needs is not more practice time but oodles and oodles of games. He would get that with Everett. And as Murphy points out he gets to play under a superb coach and system.

But what it also does is give the canucks more options with the player...NHL, AHL or WHL. I don't think they'd do this with every player but with the ones they think are close. While they are not interested in having White turn pro and they are clearly not happy with his progress at this point they may feel that he is still a few years from a sniff at the NHL and there is no hurry to POTENTIALLY rush him. He might be a guy that benefits from the practice and smaller number of games while he continues to try to find his game. If White has a good year and make some good strides the canucks may consider signing him at that time. But at this point there is ZERO reason to burn one of those 50 contracts on White. Schroeder is a different story IMO...a superior prospect who could be knocking on the door sooner or later.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 02:06 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
The canucks want to take an active hand with the prospects. That much is clear from the regular conversations Gagner and hodgson had all year to the in person visits to make sure Hodgson was working on what they asked him to work on.

In Schroeder they do have a guy who has the skill and speed to MAYBE make the jump to the NHL in short order. They don't feel the NCAA is the best place for him to do that. Some will argue competition against older players is good and they have a very good point and others will argue that what Schroeder needs is not more practice time but oodles and oodles of games. He would get that with Everett. And as Murphy points out he gets to play under a superb coach and system.

But what it also does is give the canucks more options with the player...NHL, AHL or WHL. I don't think they'd do this with every player but with the ones they think are close. While they are not interested in having White turn pro and they are clearly not happy with his progress at this point they may feel that he is still a few years from a sniff at the NHL and there is no hurry to POTENTIALLY rush him. He might be a guy that benefits from the practice and smaller number of games while he continues to try to find his game. If White has a good year and make some good strides the canucks may consider signing him at that time. But at this point there is ZERO reason to burn one of those 50 contracts on White. Schroeder is a different story IMO...a superior prospect.
We could also give Schroeder a 9-game try out to see where his development is really at.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 02:08 PM
timorousme
luongod

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
I think that the increased number of games and the importance placed on the defensive side of the game, both of which the WHL provides will help Schroeder's development.
i thought the NCAA had a rep for promoting defensive play

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 02:12 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorousme View Post
i thought the NCAA had a rep for promoting defensive play
I thought so too, but I watched quite a few NCAA games this season (friend got a good satellite package-maybe watched a dozen games including the frozen four), and the attention to defensive detail wasn't as solid as I'd have thought. Especially when you compare it to the WHL, which is defense first, second and third, then maybe some offense.

The players were bigger in the NCAA, and they wear the full face shield, so I expected alot of running around using the helmet as a weapon, but I didn't see that either. Perhaps there were bigger overall hits, but I think the WHL in terms of physicality, is much more rugged.

Old
08-20-2009, 02:31 PM

It would be a hard choice for Schroeder to make!

On the Gophers, Schroeder is the go-to guy this year, the big cheese, with Stoa gone and nobody like Stoa around to play with. He'll be the undisputed focal point in his sophomore season, playing highly-competitive games against mostly older players.

I think the Gopher fans would howl murder if he defected to the WHL, and he knows this. He'd be cutting the cord with his Varsity buddies, and with his cozy BMOC status on a hockey-mad campus.

The WHL has a "knuckle-dragger" image among (at least some) Gopher fans, like a bunch of Neanderthals, as I saw on their fan board when O'Brien left for the Dub. There's an insularity, and a sense of a departure from the team being something like treason, as I know from
my own heritage an an American from Saint Paul.

However, top players are always departing early for pro hockey--like Stoa, Wheeler, Kessel, and Okposo, who left in mid-season for the Islanders. (At that time, the Isles and Okposo were saying that the Gopher coaching wasn't up to par . . . maybe Gillis agrees?) Also, some American players join the CHL instead of the NCAA, and do just fine with their careers (especially if they can handle the odd 20-cent tip). Plus, leaving home and devoting yourself to your profession is the time-honoured path for young hockey players everywhere.

So we might, as Canuck fans and Vancouverites, wonder what the problem would be in joining the Silvertips, and beginning the pro toughening process right away. Personally, I'd love it if Schroeder decided to do that. Either choice would be OK. My own gut feeling is that he'll stay in Minnesota this season.

701 is offline   Reply With Quote