HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who will be this years scape goat??

View Poll Results: Scapegoat??
Redden 87 56.86%
Rozsival 8 5.23%
Girardi 1 0.65%
Gilroy 0 0%
Sanguenetti 0 0%
Gaborik 8 5.23%
Drury 14 9.15%
Higgins 0 0%
Kotalik 26 16.99%
Lisin 2 1.31%
Avery 0 0%
Prospal 1 0.65%
Dubinsky 2 1.31%
The fourth line 1 0.65%
Other- Please specify. 3 1.96%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-21-2009, 11:57 AM
chosen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Some people see Blozsival for who he is. I don't care how many minutes he logs. He never shoots, is lazy, takes stupid penalties, and sucks defensively.
Lazy? A fan on a couch is calling a world-class athlete lazy?

He doesn't come close to sucking defensively. He is an average NHL defenseman with mild offensive upside. The problem is that you want him to be something other than he is. The problem lies solely within your wishes of him, not within reality.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 12:02 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
this has been said to you so many times that its almost retard3d but i feel like i cant read what you said with out responding with:

you're right those two were terrible against ovechkin and the NHL's 3rd best offense during the playoffs
oh you mean the series we lost and were pretty much dominated in and where ovechkin couldnt buy a goal even though he pretty much doiminated us........ that series ?

neither of those 2 scored at all. dman are allowed to be part of the offense on occasion. and their collective pp play was abysmal. offensively, we looked inept whenever those 2 stepped on the ice. im sorry, i didnt think they did much.

and rozy specifically looked like he was skating in muck and uncertain with the puck, especially in the dzone where he regularly turned pucks over and made "stevie wonder" passed to no one.

as for rozys play in the regular season, he was just plain bad on most nights.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Some people see Blozsival for who he is. I don't care how many minutes he logs. He never shoots, is lazy, takes stupid penalties, and sucks defensively.
Youre really dousing me with reality here.

I especially like the part about how a guy whose logged 20+ minutes a night the last 4 seasons for a perennial playoff team "isn't an NHL defenseman."

You wont find me trying to justify Rozsival's salary, or even saying hes anything better than good...but I will defend him when people are ignorant enough to say that he flat out sucks.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 12:06 PM
pwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Youre really dousing me with reality here.

I especially like the part about how a guy whose logged 20+ minutes a night the last 4 seasons for a perennial playoff team "isn't an NHL defenseman."

You wont find me trying to justify Rozsival's salary, or even saying hes anything better than good...but I will defend him when people are ignorant enough to say that he flat out sucks.
He's garbage. We'd be better off with giving Morris that money.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 12:08 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Lazy? A fan on a couch is calling a world-class athlete lazy?

He doesn't come close to sucking defensively. He is an average NHL defenseman with mild offensive upside. The problem is that you want him to be something other than he is. The problem lies solely within your wishes of him, not within reality.
while im not a fan at all, i dont think hes lazy in the least. hes never shown me to be lazy like say........ zherdev appeared to be on oocasion.

his results last year were not good. hes been injured recently. hes seems tentative with the puck and his pp work has been atrocious add that to his stuoid contract and well....... it is what it is.

having said all that, hes not lazy. he just hasnt played that good recently.

Old
08-21-2009, 12:10 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
oh you mean the series we lost and were pretty much dominated in and where ovechkin couldnt buy a goal even though he pretty much doiminated us........ that series ?

neither of those 2 scored at all. dman are allowed to be part of the offense on occasion. and their collective pp play was abysmal. offensively, we looked inept whenever those 2 stepped on the ice. im sorry, i didnt think they did much.

and rozy specifically looked like he was skating in muck and uncertain with the puck, especially in the dzone where he regularly turned pucks over and made "stevie wonder" passed to no one.

as for rozys play in the regular season, he was just plain bad on most nights.
im not going to get into this with you...you've already proven that you have no intention of re-evaluating Roszival's performance....you made up your mind during his mid season slump and your sticking to it

but don't kid yourself....we lost that series becasue we COULDN'T score....not because they COULD....and when push comes to shove, scoring goals in that series should not have been Roszival's nor Redden's burden

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 12:15 PM
pwoz

Blozsival is still looking to pass to Jagr. He takes lazy hooking penalties and is always beat to the puck. He has a great shot the 3 times a year he uses it.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Redden & Kotalik are the easy choices, a little too easy.

I think Redden will be a different player this year under Torts and his play will get most fans to rethink their opinions of him. Rosy could benefit under JT as well, but something tells me he's gonna be the guy getting it together last so fans will look at him as the weakest link.

Kotalik will be fine. His booming shot and shootout skills will be used often and fans will like that.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 01:09 PM
eco's bones

I'm hoping Redden will be a better player but how much better he can be I don't know. I know that he's not a $6.5 mil a year player and he's not going to be. It's a problem when you're expectations are already so low for what should be a key component of your team--and that we have to make excuses for him not being able to do what we really are paying him to do--which is be something in the neighborhood of Brian Leetch. A $6.5 mil a year defenseman if not an elite player should at least be a legit No. 1--and in this day and age of two way defensemen Redden falls far short of that. 27 points from your No. 1 means the offense is going to be bad. Someone else is really going to have to take part of the offensive burden off his shoulders because despite the huge paycheck he's not able to carry it. Unfortunately Rozsival wasn't much help last year in that regard either. Hopefully Michal can at least get back into the 40 point range and play his usual unspectacular more than less steady defense. Last year was not a particularly good one for him--except in regard to his bank account.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 01:21 PM
NYR Viper

Rangers fans seem unable to look past a players salaries. Redden is the best bet.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 02:03 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Rangers fans seem unable to look past a players salaries. Redden is the best bet.
if gaborik has a solid year, his salary wont matter.

if he is hurt or not particularly effective- in other words, he only scores 25 goals, he will be looked at differently.

its contract + results that matter.

guys like redden and rozy both will be booed alot unless they score some pp goals and make an inpact on the score sheet. thats the way it is.

i think that, depending on what shakes out soon, dubinsky might be targeted this year if he has a prolonged scoring slump like last year. he hasnt signed and he may be looked at as greedy or not a team player by remaining unsigned. if he starts slow, hes gonna hear it from the fans.

Old
08-21-2009, 03:41 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
i think that, depending on what shakes out soon, dubinsky might be targeted this year if he has a prolonged scoring slump like last year. he hasnt signed and he may be looked at as greedy or not a team player by remaining unsigned. if he starts slow, hes gonna hear it from the fans.
The average booing fool doesn't pay all that much attention to salary stuff. They tend to boo the passive players and cheer for the aggressive players. As long as Dubi remains aggressive and appears to be hustling he remains safe.

He is also relatively safe because he isn't a dman. They will always take the brunt from the fans.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 04:53 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
I don't suppose it would matter much--if we didn't have a salary cap. Maybe you could wander over to NHL.com and look up the point totals of defensemen last year. Rozsival's 30 points come in at 53rd. Redden's 26 comes in at 68. You wonder all year why are pwp sucked?--and I'm not implying that either or both are totally to blame for that but they are not totally unblameworthy either. As well you'll find there were 7 NHL d-men (Green, Markov, Lidstrom, Niedermayer, Rafalski, Boyle and Streit) who outscored both of them combined. We have $11.5 mil committed to both of Rozsival and Redden for the next 3 years. That kind of money spent well can get you an elite player + something else pretty good. Add those two elements to the current team and maybe we'd be a contender.

Old
08-21-2009, 06:08 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
How can you not account for salaries in a salary cap world?

Players will be evaluated by their price/performance ratio, and deservedly so.

There's something very wrong if you have 2 players making equal contributions and one is making 400% more than the other.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 06:20 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Blozsival is still looking to pass to Jagr. He takes lazy hooking penalties and is always beat to the puck. He has a great shot the 3 times a year he uses it.
congrats u fit every rozi cliche into one post. Nice to see you can think for yourself.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Chimp

Redden, the albatross D-man. Drury the albatross center won't, because he's too well liked by a big chunk of the fan base, because of something he's done that I don't know of (maybe that he scored on us with 7.7 seconds left?). The only thing I can think of in his favour is that he's an American and the captain. And no, I don't say that because of some nationalistic crap - I'm not that kind of guy, but because it might be true. I can't see any other reason he gets off the hook easier than other players, when he sucks or is just plain invisible for very long stretches at a time.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 06:54 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Redden, the albatross D-man. Drury the albatross center won't, because he's too well liked by a big chunk of the fan base, because of something he's done that I don't know of (maybe that he scored on us with 7.7 seconds left?). The only thing I can think of in his favour is that he's an American and the captain. And no, I don't say that because of some nationalistic crap - I'm not that kind of guy, but because it might be true. I can't see any other reason he gets off the hook easier than other players, when he sucks or is just plain invisible for very long stretches at a time.
I often feel that way.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 08:09 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Agreed completely.

He gets off the hook for these reasons and these reasons alone:
1. He's American.
2. He's from the Tri-State area (even better than just being American)
3. He grew up a Ranger fan
4. He's quiet
5. He's earned a reputation for "clutchness" and "hard work"
6. He won the Little League World Series

The only thing that could make Drury more loved by the Ranger fan-base is if he was drafted by the Rangers in the 4th round and came through Hartford.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 11:01 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
I agree as well. $7 mil is an awfully lot of money when you're not sure he's either a 2nd or a 3rd liner. He has some intangibles but they can only take him so far.

Old
08-21-2009, 11:07 PM
broadwayblue

how many more years left on drury's contract again? lol

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 11:06 AM
MaximusT

Redden, Kotalik, Lisin

MaximusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 01:08 PM
polako

It's usually a defenseman or a European player. I covered my bases and chose Roszival.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Glen Sather

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote