HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#7 - Most Valuable Hurricane

View Poll Results: #7 - Most Valuable Hurricane
Erik Cole 5 13.89%
Matt Cullen 4 11.11%
Chad LaRose 4 11.11%
Rod Brind'Amour 9 25.00%
Jussi Jokinen 1 2.78%
Sergei Samsonov 1 2.78%
Scott Walker 0 0%
Tom Kostopoulos 0 0%
Stephane Yelle 0 0%
Joe Corvo 11 30.56%
Aaron Ward 0 0%
Andrew Alberts 1 2.78%
Nic Wallin 0 0%
Tim Conboy 0 0%
Michael Leighton 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-21-2009, 06:42 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
#7 - Most Valuable Hurricane

Where things stand,

1. Cam Ward - 52.94%
2. Eric Staal - 84.44%
3. Joni Pitkanen - 60.87%
4. Ray Whitney - 56.52%
5. Tuomo Ruutu - 51.43%
6. Tim Gleason - 42.86%

Last edited by Guerzy: 08-21-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 06:58 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Went with Josef Corvo on this one pretty well for the many reasons outlined in the previous thread. The versitility he offers combined with the minutes he plays puts him atop the defence core (With Pitkanen & Gleason) in terms of importance in my opinion. As I said in the previous poll regarding Corvo, I think the team would notice first hand the hole Corvo would leave if he were taken out of the lineup. He is a reliable factor on our blueline in both the offensive and defensive zone. With our new direction of pysicality and size back there - Gleason, Ward, Alberts, Wallin - Corvo along with Pitkanen are crucial to our offensive game this year. There is no poor mans jack of all trades in Seidenberg, there is no bomb from the point in Babchuk. Corvo's production should increase this season. I believe we should rely very heavily on his point shot just as we did with Babchuk last season. 45-50 Points for Joe Corvo isn't out of the question for me. Especially if we can get a PP that works (for the most part) from the get-go.

In terms of being valuable, I think with the make-up of our team from top to bottom if we were to lose one of LaRose, Samsonov, Brind'Amour, Cole, Cullen, Jokinen to name a few of the remaining.. it wouldn't effect the on ice performance with the magnitude of that if we were to lose Joe Corvo. We'd miss LaRose's energy, Brind'Amours faceoff ability, Cole's speed and physicality, etc.. but if we lose Joe Corvo, we lose a tremendous piece of our PP, transition game, 1 of our 2 mobile defenceman and 20+ pretty reliable minutes per game from our top 4 ... You're gunna feel that in an ugly way. Esecially on a team made up of a slower, less mobile defence and a team that will 100% need Corvo in order to have a successful PP. I feel we'd be in worse shape without Corvo than the forwards remaining/mentioned. I believe we have the depth to replace one of our forwards over one of our very, very few offensive, mobile, reliable defenceman.

Last edited by Guerzy: 08-21-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old
08-21-2009, 07:10 AM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

vCash: 500
My vote goes to Erik Cole. Why?

#1 - He brings a physical game that few others on the team can match, especially scorers. He's a pure power forward who loves to cut in and then drive to the net.

#2 - He raises the level of the team's play. He makes other players better, especially Staal. Look at how the team performed when he was in Edmonton, compared to when he returned.

#3 - His defensive play has improved. Watch the Boston series, it's a showcase of Erik's great backchecking and defensive play.

#4 - This poll is called "most valuable Hurricane". How many players have been as valuable as Cole over the past few seasons?

Chad LaRose can't reach the scoring numbers Cole can put up. Rod Brind'Amour is the heart and soul of the team, but he's in the twilight of his career.

Jokinen and Samsonov are up-and-down, not consistently proven threats over the long term.

I think #26 deserves the #7 spot. If he was gone he'd leave a bigger hole than most players on the roster.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 07:21 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Brindy before Corvo for me.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 07:23 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucktheCaniac View Post
My vote goes to Erik Cole. Why?
Quote:
#1 - He brings a physical game that few others on the team can match, especially scorers. He's a pure power forward who loves to cut in and then drive to the net.
It never works and 99.98% of the leagues defenceman have figured this puzzle out.

Quote:
#2 - He raises the level of the team's play. He makes other players better, especially Staal. Look at how the team performed when he was in Edmonton, compared to when he returned.
I think this is overrated. Cole was good and he was no doubt a breath of fresh air for our team. With that said, we won 12 of our 19 games before Cole arrived. After losing 5 in a row the team seemed to turn the tide. I believe we had already begun to get ourselves on track before the return of Erik. Cole helped, no doubt, I won't ever say he didn't, but I don't see him as 'the reason', if you will. As for Cole making Staal better, again, I think that is overrated. Cole didn't make Staal better in the playoffs when it counted, Staal made Staal better. Period.

Quote:
#3 - His defensive play has improved. Watch the Boston series, it's a showcase of Erik's great backchecking and defensive play.
I'll give you this, but I want to see it consistently. Cole played good for one series in my opinion and stood out for a portion of that Boston series. Aside from that, he wasn't a big factor in my opinion. He and Ruutu had similar production, but I feel Ruutu made more of an impact and was more of a game changer based on 'how' he hit(s) in comparison to Cole and 'how' he showed up for pretty well each game. Cole bangs around, Ruutu punishes. Production aside, as both were fairly equal, Ruutu was a reason we went 3 rounds, Cole, was not.

Quote:
#4 - This poll is called "most valuable Hurricane". How many players have been as valuable as Cole over the past few seasons?
We have won and lost with Cole. He isn't a make or break for this team in my opinion.

Quote:
I think #26 deserves the #7 spot. If he was gone he'd leave a bigger hole than most players on the roster.
Cole is important, no doubt. And you bring up great points, however if Cole shows up during the season and scores 3 goals in 30'ish games... he may find himself on the 3rd line very quickly. We've got pretty good depth up front and I feel if Cole doesn't produce the way he should, there are others waiting in the wings. Especially with his paycut. The writing is on the wall lately that this is not the same player as in years passed, for whatever the reason(s) and until he proves he is 'that player', he's pretty replaceable in my opinion if he is not producing on the top line.

He's got a lot to prove and as one of my favorites I hope he does. Erik Cole can either be a critical piece to our team, or Erik Cole can be a shadow of his former self. It's up to him how he turns his career around and it starts this October. I wish him well.

Last edited by Guerzy: 08-21-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old
08-21-2009, 09:09 AM
Scorvo

People around here are really underestimating war chief around here.

Scorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 09:50 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorvo View Post
People around here are really underestimating war chief around here.
If he's back in his pre-injury form? yes, yes we are

If he's not? well, as they say you build a team from the net out. Corvo is a pretty good offensive defenseman AND has really developed the defensive side of his game since arriving here.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Boom Boom Anton

I thought Cole and Corvo were both more important than Gleason personally..so I'll stick with one of them. I'd have to rank Brindy right after that only because I cannot tell how much of his performance from last season was the injury vs. getting up there in age.

If Brindy can regain form this year, then watch out.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 11:01 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Cole is important, no doubt. And you bring up great points, however if Cole shows up during the season and scores 3 goals in 30'ish games... he may find himself on the 3rd line very quickly. We've got pretty good depth up front and I feel if Cole doesn't produce the way he should, there are others waiting in the wings. Especially with his paycut. The writing is on the wall lately that this is not the same player as in years passed, for whatever the reason(s) and until he proves he is 'that player', he's pretty replaceable in my opinion.
Guerzy, I agree with some of what you are saying. If he doesn't produce this year, he will be down on the 3rd line quickly (I tend to think last year was the anomaly because of the trade, moving family, etc..).

The one thing with Cole though, is speed. Staal is fast. Samsonov, Whitney or to a lesser extent Ruutu can't keep up with him so many times it was almost Staal going it alone. Cole's speed takes some pressure off of Staal and he can keep up with Staal. I don't think we have anyone else that fits that mold for a first line unfortunately.

I am not a fan of Cole and he has many issues that drives me nuts, but because of his speed, I think he is more important than some others.

Old
08-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

we're getting to the point that decent cases can be made for multiple candidates. I voted Cullen, because I do think we are a different and lesser kind of team when he is not out there (especially when Staal goes through one of his slumps).

But Rod and Corvo could just as easily get my vote. LaRose is in the running, Sammy too - and if Jokinen has a season like his stint with us last year, he's in the mix too.

Cole (and to some degree Rod), I need to see a little more of this year before i put them back up there. Hopefully this time next year he's in the top 6 or so without doubt, we need him to be.

Last edited by Citizen Cane: 08-21-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 01:38 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Dunno, Guess I'll go Corvo. If Brindy's back to form then he's arguably top 3-4 but based on last season, I'll give it to Corvo.

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Old Uncle

We are getting down to role players and players who would be "most valuable" if they turn up and if they have a year like they had in a former life. Those type of guys are not your core. Take out Corvo and your offence tanks. Joni can't be your only offensive defenceman. You need defenders who can start something offensively. Does Joe sometimes carry the puck when he should pass? Yes, but the opposition has to play to that. And, the guy can skate! And, this is a contract year.

Old Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Canes4me

Brindy, There is a reason guys still like to go to camp Brind'Amore to prepare themselves for the season. Say what you may, he is still the glue that holds a lot of this team together in adverse situations.

Canes4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes4me View Post
Brindy, There is a reason guys still like to go to camp Brind'Amore to prepare themselves for the season. Say what you may, he is still the glue that holds a lot of this team together in adverse situations.
I don't see that any longer. When he went down with his knee injury 2 years ago, the team actually stepped it up big time and played better after he went down.

And last year, he was just plain poor. Not just his physical abilities, but his mental play as well. I can't tell you how many times he threw and absolutely horrible pass to nobody which would get picked off and go the other way. His +/- wasn't a fluke, it was fully reflective of his play last year.

If he can regain his form of a few years ago, then I can agree with what you are saying, but if he doesn't, I don't think the team misses too much without him (leadership and all).