HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Sam Gagner Vs Ryan Kesler

View Poll Results: Which player would you rather have?
Sam Gagner 67 31.75%
Ryan Kesler 144 68.25%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-25-2009, 02:45 PM
Ronaldo
★★★

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
One guy says it and we all think it?

Canuck fans
Okay,I'll agree with you.Certain Oilers fans better

Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 500
Really?, not a fair evaluation, gagner has no chance to win this.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 02:53 PM
JohnHodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by song4thedeaf View Post
I do not ever see Kessler being a TRUE first or second line guy...sure he may have those duties now, but its due to lack of depth upfront on the Canucks end...

I think Gagner has a MUCH heigher ceiling and has potential to be a a TRUE first or second line player... I would take Gagner over Kesler every time
Man... 31 points in 37 games, true enough yet?

JohnHodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 02:56 PM
JohnHodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulj43r View Post
I think Gagner will become a consistent 70 point 1st/2nd line player in the future. Kesler will probably be a 50-60 point shutdown center.
Kesler is already a 50-60 point(could be even 70+ points) shut down centre, selke nominee, and someone who you would build around.

Gagner on the other hand is a young player with potential to be a first line player...

Even if Gagner develops to a top line player that hits 70 points a year it's still debatable because Kesler brings a lot to his game other than points.

Old
12-25-2009, 05:25 PM
blackcoffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Not according to dropyourgloves.com (I find it much better at judging fights, they actually administer each user to make sure there's no bias and you have put a review even a blank one and not just vote on the winner):
http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights...23#Fight167623

11 reviews, six draws called, four narrow wins for Kesler and one clear win for Kesler. And I fondly remember the fight and would have given a narrow win to Kesler.

Neither guy really lands anything that looks that significant but Kesler throws a couple that appear to land cleaner than anything Gagner threw.
Then why the heck did you say this:

Quote:
No, not even close. Gagner lost the fight.
Suck it up. You clearly either forgot about the fight or never even saw it in the first place, and then had to resort to google and youtube when someone called you out on it.

blackcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
One guy says it and we all think it?

Canuck fans
Dont worry about him, he says that on every oiler thread

Vdhawan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 06:25 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

I haven't rewatched that youtube video but I remember Gagner fighting Kesler and Kesler not wanting to embarrass him so he told the refs to step in.

And this is an oiler fan talking. Let me rewatch the video though to refresh my memory.

EDIT: Yeah it sort of looks like Kesler doesn't want to fight him.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 06:30 PM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
I haven't rewatched that youtube video but I remember Gagner fighting Kesler and Kesler not wanting to embarrass him so he told the refs to step in.

And this is an oiler fan talking. Let me rewatch the video though to refresh my memory.

EDIT: Yeah it sort of looks like Kesler doesn't want to fight him.
Yea after the game he said Gagner challenged him and he was really surprised, and even though he didn't really want to he couldn't back down.

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 06:37 PM
Eytinge

It looks like Penner said something to Kesler, I don't know if it was a threat or something but Penner was about to jump in so maybe Kesler did hold back a little.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 07:14 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
I like Kesler a lot, he is my favorite Canuck. He was always an underdog, a tough player who no one ever noticed. Then he was put on a line with Mats Sundin and Pavol Demitra and had a career year.

Why this poll is dumb? Kesler is 25 and Sam Gagner just turned 20. Sam Gagner's two seasons as an 18 and 19 year old are better than any season Kesler put up, until this year.

Kesler is easily the better player right now, but I think it is safe to say we have seen the best from Kesler... as in playing on a hot team, and being linemates with a 3 time all-star and HHOF'er.

This is like Jamie Langenbrunner versus Marc Savard.
Gagner was better than Kesler last season?

59 points and a selke nomination.

31 points in 37 games so far (+ excellent defense) without Sundin and Demitra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by song4thedeaf View Post
I do not ever see Kessler being a TRUE first or second line guy...sure he may have those duties now, but its due to lack of depth upfront on the Canucks end...

I think Gagner has a MUCH heigher ceiling and has potential to be a a TRUE first or second line player... I would take Gagner over Kesler every time
59 points last season, 31 in 37 this season.

Seems like second line numbers.

On a top 5 scoring team (currently, 11th last season). Admittedly, they do lack depth at center... After Sedin AND KESLER it sucks.

Last edited by serge2k: 12-25-2009 at 07:19 PM.
serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 07:36 PM
JohnHodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
I like Kesler a lot, he is my favorite Canuck. He was always an underdog, a tough player who no one ever noticed. Then he was put on a line with Mats Sundin and Pavol Demitra and had a career year.

Why this poll is dumb? Kesler is 25 and Sam Gagner just turned 20. Sam Gagner's two seasons as an 18 and 19 year old are better than any season Kesler put up, until this year.

Kesler is easily the better player right now, but I think it is safe to say we have seen the best from Kesler... as in playing on a hot team, and being linemates with a 3 time all-star and HHOF'er.

This is like Jamie Langenbrunner versus Marc Savard.
That's just stupid. It's not like Kesler is 30, he's not even in his prime yet.

Comparing Sam Gagner to Marc Savard? Really?

Old
12-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHodgson View Post
Comparing Sam Gagner to Marc Savard? Really?
And? Obviously Savard is the better player and I doubt that Gagner can hit the point totals Savard did, but they are both small players who aren't very fast but both have a good head for the game and are great passers. Gagner has outproduced Savard by far in his first two years, I don't think it is ridiculous to suggest Gagner could become a poor man's Marc Savard.

Remember, Gagner is only 20. There is still tons of time for him to develop.

Old
12-25-2009, 08:03 PM
wej20

I'm suprised how close this is, I'd take Kesler even if I was a rebuilding team.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Kesler..

..and it's simple. Because there's less Keslers in the league then there are and will be Gagners.

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 08:23 PM
JohnHodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
And? Obviously Savard is the better player and I doubt that Gagner can hit the point totals Savard did, but they are both small players who aren't very fast but both have a good head for the game and are great passers. Gagner has outproduced Savard by far in his first two years, I don't think it is ridiculous to suggest Gagner could become a poor man's Marc Savard.

Remember, Gagner is only 20. There is still tons of time for him to develop.
Gagner outproduced Thornton in his first two seasons. Means nothing buddy. The guy made a comparasion of Langenbrunner as Kesler, and Savard as Gagner. Fact is, currently Kesler is on par, if not better than Langenbrunner, while Gagner is not even close to Savard right now.

His comparasion in that context was not valid. Maybe a Mike Richards v.s. Marc Savard have been more fair, but Kesler is already as good as Langenbrunner if not better, but Gagner's not close so stupid comparasion.

Old
12-25-2009, 08:38 PM
lefty2time*

i think that 70 points per season qualifies a player as a "first line player" ...a lower end first liner though..this is under the assumption that there are no other intangibles brought to the table..

kesler is on pace for like 70 points..PLUS he brings tons of intangibles...

considering how young he is..and how his points have increased steadily yet kinda slowly...he's pretty much a first liner now....its arguable.....but ya...i think its safe to say that he WILL be a first liner pretty soon....

so i dont get all the Gagner has higher potential than Kesler crap...ya what..maybe Gagner turns into a 90 point player.......well..that most definitely will not be too much more than what Kesler produces.

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 08:45 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2time View Post
i think that 70 points per season qualifies a player as a "first line player" ...a lower end first liner though..this is under the assumption that there are no other intangibles brought to the table..

kesler is on pace for like 70 points..PLUS he brings tons of intangibles...

considering how young he is..and how his points have increased steadily yet kinda slowly...he's pretty much a first liner now....its arguable.....but ya...i think its safe to say that he WILL be a first liner pretty soon....

so i dont get all the Gagner has higher potential than Kesler crap...ya what..maybe Gagner turns into a 90 point player.......well..that most definitely will not be too much more than what Kesler produces.
his points descreased from first to second season and he's on pace for another point total in the 40's.

I would not want him on the Canucks first line for now.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Ronaldo
★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdhawan89 View Post
Dont worry about him, he says that on every oiler thread
So,you think Kesler is the same player Horcoff is ,not a chance Kesler is better at every aspect of the game,I was just pointing it out.

Old
12-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
So,you think Kesler is the same player Horcoff is ,not a chance Kesler is better at every aspect of the game,I was just pointing it out.
I agree that is a stupid comment, but you dont need to go Oiler fans everytime someone says something that you dont agree with

Vdhawan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Gagner outproduced Thornton in his first two seasons. Means nothing buddy. The guy made a comparasion of Langenbrunner as Kesler, and Savard as Gagner. Fact is, currently Kesler is on par, if not better than Langenbrunner, while Gagner is not even close to Savard right now.

His comparasion in that context was not valid. Maybe a Mike Richards v.s. Marc Savard have been more fair, but Kesler is already as good as Langenbrunner if not better, but Gagner's not close so stupid comparasion.
Of course Gagner is not close to Savard right now! I'm not argueing that, I'm just saying that they share a lot of similar traits and it's not crazy to think Gagner can become a Savard like player!

Old
12-25-2009, 09:44 PM
JohnHodgson

Quote:
Of course Gagner is not close to Savard right now! I'm not argueing that, I'm just saying that they share a lot of similar traits and it's not crazy to think Gagner can become a Savard like player!
They have similar traits but the comparasion of Langenbrunner v.s. Savard is completely unfair.

Kesler is already as good as Langenbrunner if not better, Gagner is not close to Savard's level right now.

That's all I'm trying to say.

Old
12-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
They have similar traits but the comparasion of Langenbrunner v.s. Savard is completely unfair.

Kesler is already as good as Langenbrunner if not better, Gagner is not close to Savard's level right now.

That's all I'm trying to say.
Ah ok, yeah that's true Kesler is already comparable to Langenbrunner.

Old
12-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Ronaldo
★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdhawan89 View Post
I agree that is a stupid comment, but you dont need to go Oiler fans everytime someone says something that you dont agree with
Like a previos poster said and I agreed with him,I should have said,what I told you,that Kesler is better in all aspects in the game.

Old
12-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Ronaldo
★★★

Quote:
I agree with this,Gagner is a very good hockey player and may one day be as good as Savard,but presently you got to take Kesler.

Old
12-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Ace of Canucks

Kesler and it's not even close.

Call me a homer if you will, but there is no way in hell I would take Sam Gagner over Ryan Kesler.

Ace of Canucks is offline   Reply With Quote