HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Aaron Downey Gets Try Out W/ Coyotes

Old
08-20-2009, 08:44 PM
SR

vCash: 500
Aaron Downey Gets Try Out W/ Coyotes

http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/f...oyotes-125408/

Heres the tough guy...

SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2009, 09:17 PM
crazyhockeylover96

Why not just use Lessard? He's younger, bigger, and was taking pretty regular shifts as the tough guy in San Antonio.

crazyhockeylover96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 07:14 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I was hoping for some big behemoth. A real sasquatch like Mitch Fritz, or somebody. Someone to go with the guys that Vandermeer shouldn't. Downey, though, I still can't help but be a little excited about adding. He's an older guy, and he's undersized for an enforcer, but I think he'll add some positives to our young line-up. He's a real hard-nosed guy, and packs a big punch for a small fighter. He's a guy who's seen it all, at every level, too. From the ECHL to winning the Stanley Cup. He's always been praised as a very strong leader and good character guy, too. He's always struck me as really wierd, and overly intense, but he seems to be very well liked and respected. I know he's got a renound work ethic, and is a real fitness nut. As far as enforcers go, he's really not a bad grinder, either. Obviously playing for contenders like Dallas and Detroit the last several years, he didn't get a ton of ice time, but from what I remember he was a decent checker. I like the addition of some real veteren character, and even though he sometimes shouldn't, he will go with anyone. Hopefully that means that sometimes Vandermeer won't have to. Between the two of them, things shouldn't get too out of hand. I hope not, anyway.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 07:54 PM
crazyhockeylover96

He better be more than just a good locker room leader and hard working practice guy. We just got rid of Fedoruk. Those were the reasons he got so much ice time. I don't know anything beyond your analysis of Fritz but I agree with having a complete goon that only uses a few minutes on the occasional game if they feel they need a goon at all. With Turris hopefully in SA, do we need a goon?

Old
08-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Jakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhockeylover96 View Post
He better be more than just a good locker room leader and hard working practice guy. We just got rid of Fedoruk. Those were the reasons he got so much ice time. I don't know anything beyond your analysis of Fritz but I agree with having a complete goon that only uses a few minutes on the occasional game if they feel they need a goon at all. With Turris hopefully in SA, do we need a goon?
Turris looks to be staying with the big club , he won't be with the Rampage. My source is straight from NHL.com , article about their upcoming season. Turris needs to turn it around with the big boys.

Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 08:10 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
If Downey earns a contract it will be a two-way, league minimum deal. Not like Fedoruk's retardedly bloated one-way deal. Also, unlike Fedoruk, Downey actually fights. Traditionally, Downey hasn't been given a whole lot of NHL games, in any season. I don't see why that would change now that he's approaching the end of his NHL career. Now that you've mentioned Fedoruk, I suppose I would compare Downey's on-ice, gloves on game to Fedoruk's. A little lighter on his feet, though. Gloves off, Fedoruk has been reduced to a pure hugger. Downey throws down. Both are big team guys. Basically, in Downey, I'd say we've potentially got a half priced Todd Fedoruk, that's built more like, and fights more like Danny Carcillo. Not the worst thing in the world, I guess.

Old
08-24-2009, 08:17 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
Turris looks to be staying with the big club , he won't be with the Rampage. My source is straight from NHL.com , article about their upcoming season. Turris needs to turn it around with the big boys.
Have a link?

All I've found is an article from a couple of weeks ago ...

Quote:
General Manager Don Maloney on Tuesday said he is not done trying to enhance the roster.

I like where we are right now yet continue to search for value in the marketplace, Maloney said. We do have both roster and salary cap flexibility. However, the season starts in October, not August. I am not rushing into any deals unless it is something too good to pass up.

Maloney added that he would still like to add size/toughness to the roster before training camp starts.
http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=463473

Old
08-24-2009, 09:25 PM
crazyhockeylover96

Quote:
How do you figure that?

Vrbata Hanzal Doan
Upshall Lombardi Prucha
Korpikoski Fiddler Tikhonov Goon?
scorer/MacLean? Mueller Boedker

Michalek Sauer
Jovo Vandermeer
Yandle Aucoin Lepisto?

Bryz
Barbie

That's taking DM's quotes about being impressed with MacLean ("Forward Brett MacLean turned many heads during the camp and likely will challenge for a roster spot at camp."), rushing Turris too fast, and wanting an additional scorer and goon to be true. So either DM doesn't get his scorer and goon and MacLean / Turris gets promoted or someone(s) is getting traded because the roster numbers won't add up.

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=436669
http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=440316

Quote from http://blog.coyoteshipcheck.com/page/3/
"GMDM: We won’t be seeing the 09 kids for almost certain. Not closing the door on anyone who just suddenly goes lights out, but I don’t see that happening. The Boedkers and Tikhnovs will certainly still be here, they did very well and will be given better opportunities for success this year. The 3rd year kids will be the ones we will be asking to really become hockey players and go to guys. We need them to step up this year and be NHLers."

Hmmmm. That's funny... no mention of Turris

In your defense of Turris:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=480004

This is what makes being a armchair GM so exciting.

Last edited by crazyhockeylover96: 08-24-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old
08-24-2009, 10:25 PM
AnalogMan

Quote:
That's taking DM's quotes about being impressed with MacLean ("Forward Brett MacLean turned many heads during the camp and likely will challenge for a roster spot at camp."), rushing Turris too fast, and wanting an additional scorer and goon to be true. So either DM doesn't get his scorer and goon and MacLean / Turris gets promoted or someone(s) is getting traded because the roster numbers won't add up.

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=436669
http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=440316

Quote from http://blog.coyoteshipcheck.com/page/3/
"GMDM: We wont be seeing the 09 kids for almost certain. Not closing the door on anyone who just suddenly goes lights out, but I dont see that happening. The Boedkers and Tikhnovs will certainly still be here, they did very well and will be given better opportunities for success this year. The 3rd year kids will be the ones we will be asking to really become hockey players and go to guys. We need them to step up this year and be NHLers."

Hmmmm. That's funny... no mention of Turris

In your defense of Turris:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=480004

This is what makes being a armchair GM so exciting.
Adding a veteran scorer still makes sense. Maloney talks a lot about depth and if he can snag a proven scorer now there is nothing wrong with Turris, MacLean, Porter and Winnik all starting out in SA, logging tons of ice time and fighting for the right to be the first called up when the first injury hits.

If any of them are lights out in camp, what a nice problem to have.

AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2009, 10:29 PM
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Have a link?
Think he's referring to this:

Turris aiming to silence the doubters

I don't read it as emphatic at all KT starts with the big club.

Old
08-24-2009, 11:02 PM
crazyhockeylover96

Quote:
Originally Posted by RousselRising View Post
Adding a veteran scorer still makes sense. Maloney talks a lot about depth and if he can snag a proven scorer now there is nothing wrong with Turris, MacLean, Porter and Winnik all starting out in SA, logging tons of ice time and fighting for the right to be the first called up when the first injury hits.

If any of them are lights out in camp, what a nice problem to have.
By no means was I saying that we should not get additional scoring help. I hope we do. As you pointed out and I agree, we need to have depth. Why else would we have the Rampage, Wranglers, and Sundogs (not sure if we will stop using them). Successful teams have quality minor league teams/players. I just was not in agreement with Jakeman that Turris will be in PHX come opening night. Again, a great problem to have.

Old
08-24-2009, 11:10 PM
AnalogMan

Quote:
By no means was I saying that we should not get additional scoring help. I hope we do. As you pointed out and I agree, we need to have depth. Why else would we have the Rampage, Wranglers, and Sundogs (not sure if we will stop using them). Successful teams have quality minor league teams/players. I just was not in agreement with Jakeman that Turris will be in PHX come opening night. Again, a great problem to have.
Sorry if you thought I was taking issue with you. I wasn't. Just building on your point that Turris is far from having a position locked down with the big club this year.

Old
08-25-2009, 05:48 AM
crazyhockeylover96

Old
08-25-2009, 10:40 AM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
From turris' own mouth:

Quote:
"I just want to go have a good (training) camp and show what I can do," he said. "I know there's 40 or 50 guys trying to make the team. It gets pretty intense. Nobody wants to lose a spot and it gets pretty exciting with guys putting everything on the line.

"I just want to take another step from last year. I want to play a bigger role on the team and help contribute when I can."
I don't see anything mentioning a guaranteed roster spot, quite the opposite actually.

On top of that, surgery on a herniated disk is no joke. Doesn't always work, either.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2009, 10:01 PM
crazyhockeylover96

Craig Weller anyone? Big, skates, kills Blue Jackets, hates Tootoo. Only $600,000 salary. Trade for a minor guy of ours. We just have to break his wind chimes, candles, and favorite Milli Vanilli album to get him to be more willing to fight.

Old
08-26-2009, 09:43 AM
LetsGoCoyotes

Quote:
Craig Weller anyone? Big, skates, kills Blue Jackets, hates Tootoo. Only $600,000 salary. Trade for a minor guy of ours. We just have to break his wind chimes, candles, and favorite Milli Vanilli album to get him to be more willing to fight.

Don't ever do that again...ever.

LetsGoCoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 11:47 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Two problems with Weller. One, he doesn't really like to fight. Two, he fought Sheldon Souray, last season. Souray thought it would be appropriate to take his plastic covered wrist pard, slide it down over his fist, and punch Weller with it. In effect, using brass knuckles in a hockey fight. Needless to say, Weller suffered a head injury that cost him significant injury time. He hasn't had a fighting major since. So what we have is a guy who was a reluctant fighter to begin with, that is now even more gun-shy, due to being assaulted with a deadly weapon on the ice, and suffering a head injury as a result.

As for Souray, the league couldn't get their **** together enough to figure out what had happened, before Souray played another game. He was never punished.

I guess we'll find somebody between Francis Lessard and Aaron Downey. It's not really a role of great importance, anyhow.

Old
08-26-2009, 12:26 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Downey's the one who fought Modano in a Stars training camp or something heretical like that ?

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 12:29 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
Downey's the one who fought Modano in a Stars training camp or something heretical like that ?
That would be strange considering Downey only got the job in Dallas because Modano wanted it. Or something like that. That piece of **** Bill Guerin slashed a Stars prospect, Brett Draney, in the neck, during a practice once. It was the sickest thing I've seen on ice, honestly, and have hated Guerin's guts, ever since.

Old
08-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Gwyddbwyll

You got it, I think it was Draney. He was going way too hard in camp and got a nasty reaction from Guerin.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 04:29 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Video #2 around 2:22 you're right, real nasty slash. What a puke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Phk4...om=PL&index=30

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 04:42 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
Video #2 around 2:22 you're right, real nasty slash. What a puke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Phk4...om=PL&index=30
Keep in mind that's a rookie just trying not to get cut, versus an All-Star, Olympian, making mega millions. To me, that's so, so much worse than McSorely or Bertuzzi.

Old
08-26-2009, 04:51 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Whoever Bill Guerin is, it's inexcusable for any level of athlete to be that careless with your stick. He could have seriously hurt him in a bad way doing that. Shame for your veteran leaders to act that way.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 06:16 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

That's what I meant. That Guerin has even less an excuse for not being able to control himself. Pathetic.

Old
08-26-2009, 07:04 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
He was going way too hard in camp.
No such thing. At least, there better not be. If your vets are dumb enough to get creamed or otherwise beat up on by a rookie playing hard, they deserve it.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote